High Society (1986)

CBS (ended 1996)

High Society (1986) Fan Reviews (2)

7.1
  • Not as edgy as ABFab but an American \"type\" that was a nice cousin to the show!

I remmeber seeing this show for the first time while away at school. Huge fan of Jean Smart. Loved the Jayne Meadows character and the role of Val played by Faith Prince. This show was like a distant American cousin of ABFab. Not the same, but definitely the same family. Gotta love CBS for getting rid of anything interesting during the 90\'s/
  • Jean Smart (Designing Women)as a trashy novelist and Mary McDonnell (Dances with Wolves) who has just nudged her ex-husband out of his own publishing company with a 51% interest.

It seems that at the exact moment that i decide i love a show it is promply pulled from it's time slot or cancelled. No exception here. This criminally underrated show was doomed to failure becuse of its comparisons (occasionally appropriate) to Absolutely Fabulous and Frazier. Unfortunately, it wasn't classy enough for the Frazier crowd and not nearly trashy enough for the Ab Fab crowd. What the show DID possess was strong writing and two genius actors. Mary McDonnell does a wonderful job in this sitcom (she was never known for doing comedy before) as she comes to terms with the fact that she was never truly a mother to her son and juggling her new found career with her new lavish lifestyle of freedom. Jean Smart plays the pill popping, alcohol swilling socialite who occasionally gets a book out and has a strange sexual fascination with Mary McDonnell's high school aged son. This show boasted some of the best one-liners and jokes I've ever heard. ("I am not depressed. I am deeply introspective with a slight dramatic flair." -MM) This show is definitely worthy of a dvd release.