Higher Ground

ABC Family (ended 2000)

Kristhetvgirl2

Higher Ground Fan Reviews (40)

• I love this show just for the fact, I know this probably sounds bad, that their lives are worse than mine!

This show has everything comedy, drama, love, hate and everything else you can imagine. Hayden Christenson is great at playing a corrupted kid trying to survive life. Jorgito Vargas Jr. is superb at playing the gansta trying to get by without his brother bringing him down again. A.J. Cook does a lovely job becoming the girl on the streets who just wanted to leave her house because of her stepfather. I HaTe the girl who plays Juliet, soo out there it is scary. The only thing I Hate beside Juliet is how the show ended soo quickly was it like a long min-series or did it get mad ratings. If it got bad ratings that is a complete shock because it is a great show. Anyway if you haven't seen this show you need to
  • I want them to bring it back and it was real not fake !

Higher Ground was a show that was on the realer scale of tv shows ... its showed problems that are real in life. It showed how totally different kids can become friends or enemies. I loved the show for it ! I was able to see what some people have to do to get through life because of their situation. The show should be brought back because it was sooo good !! Hayden was amazing and his other cast members played their characters so well it made me emotional in watching some of the episodes. Especially A.J. Cook she did a great part as Shelby. If they get a dvd out i would sooo buy it!
  • Why was it taken off air in the first place?

This show definitly had potential ... why they took it off air is a mystery. The show was about a school for misfits. It showed troubles they went through before they arrived there and sometimes how they acted up in the school. I learned more about why some kids act the way they do because of this show and if you are one of those problem childs then you might learn how to control yourself from watching this show. I also liked how they presented each case. I wish it would atleast be re-runed if it doesn't come out on dvd.
  • I decided to re-watch this show due to actors I love, but honestly, troubled teens at a school with trekking as therapy? Doesn't sound too good. But I was so wrong. It's absolutely fantatsic! Made me both laugh and cry. (review incl proper ep order)

I watched this show years ago due to Hayden Christensen having a big role (and me being a Star Wars fan). I remember enjoying it on the weekend mornings for a month or so (yes, they aired like two episodes both Saturday and Sunday), maybe mainly cause it was what was on you know?
    Then ever since I fell in love with Firefly, and with that Jewel Staite, I've somewhat wanted to watch Higher Ground again, but never got around to it. Then not too long ago I found my way to the cast list again and realised that two other actresses from shows I totally adore nowadays were in it as Cliffhangers (A.J. Cook and Kandyse McClure if you're wondering). I just had to give it another go.

I set out thinking that I would manage to watch it due to slight nostalgia and squeefulness over actors. That a show about troubled teens in a school in the mountains would be quite cringe worthy… oh I was wrong.

I didn't end up gobbling up this show for the actors, but for its excellence. It just made me so happy. Despite the hardship these kids go through they still brought a big smile to my face… and even tears to my eyes on numerous occasions. And if a show makes me cry, it sure is a good one.

I'm so sad that it never got a second season. But I do think that the end works as the end for the series, everyone being happy and looking up at the 'falling stars'… even if it would've been better as a season finale of course. Because I do think they had set it up nicely for a second season, with a new character seemingly there to stay (I would've loved to see David evolve into someone we could actually like) and a way for us to not lose Kat even if she's graduating.

And oh man, I wish they would give this show a proper DVD release.

To those of you who might be reading this and wondering if you should watch the show: DO IT!
    But please keep in mind… the original order the episodes aired (which is the order here on TV.com) is WRONG. Very much so actually. Stuff makes very little sense if watched in that order. You have a character there all of a sudden that you've never seen before but everyone seems to know… and a couple of episodes later you get her intro episode. Not too good. Therefore I want to give you what I (and many others) believe is the proper order (at least it worked very well watching it like this):

1x01 – Scott Free
    1x19 – Because It's There
    1x20 – Falling Up
    1x21 – Mended Fences
    1x22 – Because I Love You
  • A great show, but only really had one season in it.

Firstly I will say that this is a great show and one of my favourites ever. The drama was fantastic and the characters were quite well written, each with their own twisted past and story. Each with demons they needed to fight.
    Practically episode was thrilling dramatic television and I would recommend this show to anyone.

However I will say that I believe this show ended at the right time. When you watch it all the way through, it feels like it really had a good ending in the right place.
    To be honest, I'm not sure this show could have gone on for another 22 episodes and kept the quality.
    The majority of storylines were practically resolved and any second season would have seen the writers backtrack the characters progress just to squeeze more drama out of it.

I love this show and think it's great, but I'm glad it finished when it did and that it had such a great ending.
  • I miss this show so much! It was so amazing.

I miss this show so much. I happen to think that it was one of the best ever made. I mean it was so real in a lot of ways, which in itself is sort of freaky. When this show was on I was kind of going threw some hard times and it really helped me out. Jewel Staite was the best! I loved her character, but all the characters were well thought out, and interesting. The acting was fabulous I have not seen a more talented cast of teenagers before. I would love for this show to be brought out on DVD, because it was such a special show.
  • Please put it on DVD.

This show was one of my favorites. It was a touching and real show. Not many are as true as Higher Ground. The acting was good, the story line was better. The show kept you laughing, crying, and oooing and ahhing over some of the hott characters. However the story was more than just a bunch of kids, it was a story of a bunch of teens just like you and I. As a college student I wish I had the show because every episode you could take something away from it to get you through the day. It reminded you that life is not perfect but that people will always be there to help you if you need it. I just hope it comes to DVD soon. I know a handful of people that would most definitely purchase it.
  • This show really got me! It's AMAZING

I started to watch Higher Ground when I was 14 years old, that was back when I had the channel WAM which would have Higher Ground on periodically throughout the week.

I have recently re-watched the entire series on You Tube even now almost a decade later I'm now 23 the show still affects me. It gets me right in my heart, it made me laugh, cry and feel the characters emotions all over again as if I was seeing the episodes 4 the first time!

Now if THAT isn't the hallmark of a fantastic show I don't know what is!

I watched Higher Ground because it was and still is a very dramatic and wonderfully acted show!

I loved all the characters of Higher Ground.

I really love the relationship between Scott and Shelby, by helping each other through their pain they connected and fell in love even more. Their relationship was one of my favorite ones on the show! It was amazing to see it evolve over the season. The conclusion of their relationship was extremely satisfying to me!

I think the work Hayden did in this short lived series as Scott is one of his best performances of his career!

He captured the pain, anger, and confusion of his character's awful situation so well on screen that every time I watch the show, my focus goes directly to him.

I loved how each episode focused a specific character's story and how at the end of each episode you not only feel like you've learned a valuable life lesson but you know that the character or characters have learned a lesson as well.

That is why I love this show so much because it has everything, drama, comedy, romance and valuable life lessons that truly I think captured real teenage problems.

I really think Fox Family Channel made a dire mistake to take this amazing show off the air!! I think that they should of given it a second chance!!

• That song just won't leave my head!!

I saw this show ages ago when it was on TV. Now I found it again on youtube, and I'm newly addicted. Problem is: I still haven't been able to figure out which song is playing in the backround in Episode 18 during the scene when Shelby says goodbye to Scott. I really hope someone out there knows the answer, because I haven't been able to figure it out...
  • amazing.

i love this show! it's not like what you see in TV nowadays. who knew that each character either had a crime spree, abused, or disorder, and yet deep inside they are so intrapersonal. when they talk about what they think, it really opens my eyes. they truly do have common sense. they also have really good vocabulary. and my favorite part of the show, is when after the theme song they put a quote. it differs on what episode you're watching. btw i love auggie! he was known for getting into trouble at his hometown. he has dyslexia, but i never knew he could be so caring and understanding. he's a really sweet guy. i like daisy and her comebacks at shelby ^_^

but it's sad that this show didn't made it for half a year. why did they cancelled it? it was so unique. all the good shows that i like are always gone right before my eyes.
  • Great show about a group of troubled and mis-understood teens that grow as indiviuals together at a "camp" where they discovery themselves and realize that life can be rewarding.

Great show! I really miss it! Hayden Christensen in his early days...soo adorable. No one but myself even knew about this show.....so glad that it's featured on tv.com! It featured an amazing cast of amazing actors. It truly portrayed the troubled lives of teenagers all over the world. There was a character that everyone could relate to...someone for everyone. I never knew why the show was cancelled....the promos and previews made it seem that the show was doing well. They should consider putting the show on DVD box sets. I'd most certainly buy it. Wish the show lived on longer than it did, too bad it ended in it's prime.
  • I want more!!

The first time I watched this show, I fell in love with it. It was an original show, with great actors and actresses that were thrown into the spotlight in a second. It is a shame that it was cancelled six months after its debut. It had a storyline that was good enough to go on for many years. For what I have been reading, it was a very popular show. If that is true, then why end it so quickly? Teenagers could relate to the story. Their problems were approached in this show and I guess that it helped a lot of troubled teens around the world. If it does not return, at least we will have in our memory that this was one of the best shows ever made!
  • When Scott a troubled teen arrives at the school for troubled youth, a tale is begun. A story of the power of love, and ability to heal.

There is just somthing about this show that tugs at the heart. Maybe it's that the healing that takes place, and the stories that are told are so real. While watching it you just cant help but being taken to another time, and place. IT's there where you learn the meaning of higher ground. A place where you can go to to truly heal. And that's what happens at HOrizons. I love the show, and I admit I love Shelby, and all the other chars. Watching them grow and heal touched somthing that was broken inside myself. I loved it so much that I made an rpg for it with my friend Jenny.
  • the show is about a bunch of misfit kids who are sent to a boot camp like school of reform.

The only thing that sucked about this show was that it got cancelled. I loved when I found the show again on the-n through my digital cable network. and was depressed when i no longer saw it on the channel. BRING IT BACK. THough i know the ensumble cast has made previous appearances this was the first time I had seen most all of them in anything. It was good seeing AJ Cook in Tru Calling two years ago and Jewel Staite in Firefly and of course Hayden in the star wars movies.

I totally wish they would have let this show grow into what it could have been.
  • I really think they need to bring this show back, I watch it all the time and I have every episode on tape. I can relate SO much! They have to bring this back so other people can learn how to deal with they're problems.

This is one of the most amazing shows ever. They cover so much, not being able to have children, abuse and bulimia. I think it's great then other people can watch and maybe realise they need to talk to someone and although there isn't a Herizon or a Sophie or Peter they can trust, there is people like Sophie and Peter who will help. They really need to bring this show back, I miss it so much!
  • If I had had a school like this when I was a teenager, maybe I wouldn't hate my father so much now!

I've just started watching this show, but I'm already in love with it! The story line is unlike anything on television. I have no real idea why they would cancel this series. The charater interaction and dialogue is great. There are tears, humor, compassion, adventure and love all in one eposide every time I watch. Great job both actors and writers.
  • A great little drama filled with people you know now, then!

This is what I like to refer to as a "knew them when" show. Mainly because it has so many actors who are famous today that weren't household names when they did the show. It had Hayden Christiensen pre-Anakin, Jewel Staite pre-Firefly (though with a dedicated fanbase, even then), Kyle Downes pre-Tudgeman, and AJ Cook pre-Final Destination and Criminal Minds.

That said, it doesn't mean that the show was bad. Far from it; it was a pretty groundbreaking for a show on cable. Every single character had a very deep and compelling storyline, from Peter's troubled past, to Sophie's endomitriosis, to each of the kids' several problems. It also didn't shy away from addressing teen issues like cutting and suicide, and even delved further into them to give possible insight at what might make a teen troubled. And it did so in a compelling manner that wasn't preachy (for the most part).

All in all, a very, very good and influential show that just happens to be a launching pad for quite a few promising careers.
  • The show is woderful it has great out look to show kids that dont have problems how the kids with problems act and why they have a hard time in everyday life. It shows meaning and how much the problems that most would find easy, are really hard to others.

Higher Groung is like one of the best tv shows there ever was. A show on teens and the problems that they have prblems with. It is a very real and life changing show. Growing up I lived with a lot of the same problems as the kids in the show ever though they were acting it still made me feel as if some one made the show because they knew that a lot of kids had problems like this so it let me know that i was not the only one out there. The show had heart break and love and lust and hope and it was an awesome show. Great show I wish it would come back.
  • If we're being honest the show doesn't have the best acting, from a technical perspective. But if you're looking to the heart of the show you'll see something more. That's what I saw, and I keep watching my taped copies of the show.

Even though it wouldn't win an Emmy, the show definitely had a raw inspiring quality to it, that made you want to pick up your life and live it with the end of each episode. I'm probably older than the normal viewer of this show, but it is still a favorite, despite its imperfections. I do wish it had had a longer run. It is worth watching.
  • Before reality TV became the 'hot' thing, higher ground was on puting reality into a fictious tv series on FOX (abc) family.

Teens make mistakes and its the job of Horizon to find out why and make them kick their addiction and go back to function 'normally' in society. Each of the kids have their own problems that range from step parents who take advantage of their children, to inner city kids who get in with the wrong crowd. Most of the underlying issues seem to be the teens parents who in one way or another ignored their childrens cry for help and forced them to turn to the wrong soloution.
    Mount Horizon is no ordinary camp or privet school. It's run by a man named peter who in his own teen years had a drug addiction and was 'cured' during his time at mount horizon. He goes through his own personal issues (like falling in love with his former girlfriend and now co-counclor and making amends with his own father). The group of teens that are known as the cliff hangers, is the group that the show focuses on although from time to time another character comes into play. The teens come to share their secrets and become better friends and confidents no matter how unlikly those friendships would have been in the 'outside' world. They have their own group sessions when they are forced to talk although they also can share during those excruciatingly long hikes (which are not always the safest...but when is life ever that safe) or other 'friendship' tasks such as the 'buddy hike' where two enimies are forced to tie twine around their feet and work togetehr to find a way out of the woods that they were stranded in (although they are always being followed by a councilor-in-charge).
    This show had all the aspects of a reality tv series (in fact i think a new show known as Brat Camp may be the 'real' version) but it was a scripted and so had the ability to become a show that could open up debates on teenage issues while still being amusing to watch and filled with cool stunts and extreme sports. From its cute cast (hayden went on to a lead role in the star wars first trilogy) to the love storys all the way to the relationship between students and teachers.
    It's a personal favorite of mine, and i'm sorry it did not get more seasons.
  • Higher Ground, a realistic fiction drama based on several teens' lives at Mount Horizon, a recovery school for drug abusers, razor users, and rockbottom all out losers.

I've seen reruns of this show on Encore WAM! and i have to say that it caught my attention especially with the super hot cast: Hayden Christiansen (Life As A House, Star Wars), Jorgito Vargas Jr. (Power Rangers Thunder Storm), and Joe Lando (Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman), etc. Follow these young teens and their counselors on a journey to find the right path and the strength to stay on it, but be prepared to follow them on the bumps too, meaning emotional breakdowns, temptations, and sexual interests. this show will have you biting your nails in anticipation, but the bleeding fingers is worth it for the surprising outcome at the end of every episode.
  • Smart choise.

7.2
    Higher Ground is a fantastic and heart gripping TV series which takes us to a school in the mountains where teens are forced to face their fears and rebuild their shattered lives. The series has a very talented cast and each story line is gripping and very realistic. With each of the students confronting really terrible background problems which are enough to make the problems of the Dawson's Creek cast seem petty and insignificant. The students also band together in ways that are heartwarming and make it a very emotional and worthwhile tearjerker. It is a real shame that the series was brought to a close after only one outing,leaving many of the students stories incomplete, however, what can be seen is some incredible acting with some amazing soundtracks that will really keep you wishing there was more and that it was available on DVD! enjoy!
  • Excellent show!

I never saw it while it was on the air, but I just recently got my hands on it, watched the first half of the season, and was pleasantly surprised. It dealt well with some pretty big issues, but had some fun while doing it, and felt a lot more real than other teen dramas like Dawson's Creek and The O.C. And it's completely packed with excellent (mainly Canadian) actors who've now gone on to bigger (though not necessarily better!) things. Especially good are Jewel Staite and Kandyce McClure, and I'd love to see Kyle Downes in something else. I can't wait to watch the second half!
  • i have only seen 3 reruns but i what i have seen is that troubled teens are sent to this place to get help and make new friends. alot of the teens get better!! shelby and scott both had bad pasts but they still fall in love and put aside there pasts!!!!!!

i loved what i have seen because it has things in it that are acutally happining to people. it also has a love story to it! i really would like it to be on dvd and if it cant then at least still play reruns because just when i was getting into it they took it off the air and so now i have no clue what happened at the end. so plz help and if not a dvd then play it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i know it was only one season but that season helped alot of people out and is in memory!!!!!!
  • Amazing

Higher Ground was one of the shows that I couldn’t watch without feeling something, it not only made you think about the characters but also about yourself. That your not alone with your problems or that you know someone out there has a worse life then you. Personally this show portrayed some issues very well, I was going through some of them and just watching the show made me want to get help. I don’t know how many people were touched and somewhat changed for the better by this show but I hope it was more then just me.

It truly does need to come out on DVD.
  • This programme is absoulutly amazing, i couldnt of asked for anything better! Put it on DVD!

I Love this programme. Its so in touch with people. It reaches out to everyone whos ever had problems and is amazing.
    Its actually helped me with alot of things. I love it more than words could say.
    Ive never seen anything more enjoyable. Funny. Sad. Touching.
    It was definatly a winner.
    It should be brought back or clearly put on DVD.
    I can\'t believe this show isn\'t on DVD. It clearly should be. ITS AMAZING! It should\'ve got more attention, gratitude while on tv. I want it brought back. This review may not help you decided whether u love it or not but i hope it shows my passion for it. x x x
  • This show is awesome

This show is absolutley fabulous
    Mostly because of Hayden Christensen
    They should bring it back because it was actually an interesting show that revealed the real things teens go through not, Oh I got a pimple,Real stuff for real people. Plus If they do bring it back more people would watch it because it would be like a new drama. It would rock!!!!
  • PLEASE!!!! bring this show back or atleast put it on dvd!! this show has tough me things and what i wanna do with my life.i swear i love this show soo much i would do anything just please bring it back or put it on dvd!! thank you

• Higher Ground is about a bunch of troubled teenagers that have a choice to go somewhere with more punishment or to Higher Ground. Peter helps everyone with their problems. But through it all his problems decide to haunt him. He still makes it through it a

Higher Ground is the greatest show ever! I watched every episode and have them on tape. I think that it would have been great to know what happened next and to see Peter and Sophie get married. I also want to see what happens next for Shelby and Scott. I think that it Higher Ground had a great finale though. It was beautiful. And the ending was just perfect. I also think that another couple seasons would have been great. I couldn\'t stop watching this show. Just by watching one episode when I first discovered it I was addicted to it instantly. I think that this is a wonderful family program that anyone will enjoy. It will also teach people some very important lessons in life. I even got my boyfriend addicted to the show. We both love it and wish it would come back. This show is perfect and it has very good acting in it. Too bad it went off. I wish it would come back.
  • HIGHER GROUND WAS AN AMAZING SHOW

Higher ground was a show I use to watch everytime it was on. If I had a school like higher ground that I could go to when I really needed it I would have gone in a heart beat. I believe that higher ground should be put back on the t.v.
< 1 2