Highlander Forums

(ended 1998)

Do you think Ritchie had to die?

Do you think that Ritchie had to die?

no1thinker

[1]Jun 24, 2007
    • level: 19

This hasn't been addressed on this board. Do you think that Ritchie had to die?

I think yes. Stan Kirsch was starting to show his age. I noticed a big difference from the time that Ritchie became immortal until the time that Duncan accidently killed him. Everytime that Ritchie went away & came back, him aging was noticed, at least by me. What do you think on this?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bunnykissinger

[2]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 7

i voted yes, a it is true he was 'showing his age' like you said,

but i believe because of the whole "evil" filled Duncan, that was what helped if not the cause of the what shocked him out of evil and back to good.

raqanroll_1

[3]Aug 3, 2007
    • level: 2

Yes it was time for him to die, but it didn't need to be by duncans hand...the fact that he's a new comer to the life of beign an immortal compared to others would have made it easy to explain him losing to a more skilled swordsman...an epic fight in which Duncan avenges his death would have been more palatable than an accidental sword swing on duncans part.

Wrong way to kill Richie

gidget_sparty

[4]Aug 31, 2007

I was sad to see Robbie go.....I think it changed the whole show.....

greenbat22

[5]Dec 23, 2007
    • level: 2

No, he didn't. Theseries had its highs and lows but- to me -Ritchie's deathwas an ominous sign that theseries wasn't going to have another peak.

Duncan needed Ritchiemore thanBatman needed Robin. Ritchie was there from Episode One, providing some everyman perspective,humor, warmth,andgrowth throughout the seasons. It was bad enoughmoving him further to the sidelines but beheading himwas worse than losing Tessa,Charlie, and Fitzcairn.

katsmeow221

[6]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 4
    No, No, No, No, No!!!!! Ritchie should not have died. In fact I would have loved to see Ritchie kill Duncan at the end of the show. And for him to die by Duncan's hand trully sucked!!! Yes, he was showing his age, but we live in the real world and know that he is really and actor, and not an immortal. It could have been worked around.

TheOriginalman

[7]Jun 30, 2008
    katsmeow221 wrote:
    No, No, No, No, No!!!!! Ritchie should not have died. In fact I would have loved to see Ritchie kill Duncan at the end of the show. And for him to die by Duncan's hand trully sucked!!! Yes, he was showing his age, but we live in the real world and know that he is really and actor, and not an immortal. It could have been worked around.
    You really don't like Duncan, do you? Of course there was NO WAY that Richie would have been able to kill Duncan in this century.

katsmeow221

[9]Jul 8, 2008
    TheOriginalman wrote:
    katsmeow221 wrote:
    You really don't like Duncan, do you? Of course there was NO WAY that Richie would have been able to kill Duncan in this century.

katsmeow221

[11]Jul 8, 2008
    I did like Duncan, I mean, I watched the entire series how could I not have liked him? I never did like him as much as Connor, but Christopher Lambert was never going to do a tv show! There was just something about Ritchie that really appealed to me. Probably because he was on the edge of bad and good. If Duncan hadn't been his teacher he might not have had the same moral sense. I could pitcher him going either way. When Duncan killed him it really turned me against him. I spend the rest of the series hoping that Methos would show his other side and kill him. And you are right, Ritchie did not have the skill to ever kill Duncan. But a girl can dream, can't she?
    katsmeow221 wrote:
    TheOriginalman wrote:
    katsmeow221 wrote:

Roneteus

[12]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 11
    Well.. he died just before the last season. Stan Kirsch didn't want to go to Paris again, so they decided to kill him off. : (

He was my favorite also, c'mon.. everybody loves the underdog!

gmvail23

[13]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 50
    I liked the character a lot, but it was time for him to go. I didn't like the way they killed him off but it was the only way to bring closure to his storyline. The fans would have always been wondering if he was going to comeback otherwise.

Also, the fact that they didn't do a better makeup job to hide the amount he aged hurt his character. There are some actors that seem to forever look 20 years old sadly Stan isn't one of them.

kissfreak333

[14]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 5

in a word... NO.

however, i think they should have done his death a little differently and not by duncans hand. i like the idea of duncan avenging his death. they could have made that storyline into the first 2-3 episodes of the last season and gotten rid of the episodes with the female immortals near the end of the series. hell, he could have probably carried his own spin off if they hadn't killed him off.

BRAH

[15]Jan 19, 2009
    I don't think his death was necessary, although I do commend them on this - it was ballsy. Maybe not as ballsy as Connor in Endgame, but it was up there.

If Stan Kirsch didn't want to go back to Paris, they had wrote him out for half-seasons at a time. I don't see any reason why wouldn't couldn't say goodbye to Richie, and he leave the show, WITHOUT killing him.

I think it really came down to the fact that for a Season 5 shocker, they wanted to kill someone off, and Joe was too easy, and Methos & Amanda had become marketable for a spinoff so the were staying, and Richie became the odd man out. I also always thought when Methos came into the picture, and his role got bigger and bigger and bigger, that Richie's days were numbered. With a 5,000+ year old immortal as MacLeod's new friend, then Amanda who was practically a regular at that point who was like 800 years old... little 'ole young Richie became a tad boring.

I think the show kind of out grew him. He was perfect in Seasons 1-3, but things were changing by Season 4.

Timewhisper

[16]Jul 30, 2009
    I really wished they hadn't killed him off. His character could have gone off on his own to start a new life. But if they had to kill him they found the most idiotic way possible, some weird demon thing tricks Duncan into killing him.

EarlKline

[17]Feb 26, 2011
    • level: 1

That character was annoyingas hell. He never should have been in the show. The episodes with historical flashbacks , without Richie, were the best.

dmn99se

[18]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 6
    As their catchphrase puts it "there can Be only one"