Highlander Forums

(ended 1998)

Issue with the show's mythology

beowulf579

[21]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 59
    When a immortal gains a quickening..there is something that happens to the immortal. Mac sometimes seems to be working through whatever happened to him after a quickening sometimes. Either through a intense practice regiment or such.

Though I do agree that something more would be nice. Like when Ritchie killed the one old immortal that was a squire to a immortal that humbled Mac centuries before. Ritchie shouldn't had to be told about the history. Heck...he should have went to Mac to talk to him about it since he should have that immortal's knowledge of the past events.

Young immortals like Ritchie should have drastic personality changes after a quickening.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

siftybastard

[22]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 19
    There is a big problem with given immortals powers and memories.
    Although it makes sense for the story, it becomes a nightmare for the writers. Since almost every week Duncan is killing another immortal, he would have so many memories, be able to speak so many languages, and be a walking encyclopedia. He'd hardly ever have to ask a question. The writers would have a hard job keeping up with what he knows, and writing for a guy that smart and strong.

Ulicus

[23]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 1
    ^ I agree, but this is really the fault of the writers for having Duncan kill an immortal "almost every week", as you put it. Even worse was that Duncan was often killing *powerful* Immortals, who have - themselves - probably been taking Quickenings at the rate Duncan has. My "fanon" explanation was that all the knowledge/memories/abilities of the losing Immortal were locked within the victor's subconscious and would only "awaken" either after a period of intense internal reflection on that specific Quickening, or when the Immortal won the Game and had all the power. Essentially, with each Quickening recieved, an Immortal increases their potential rather than their actualised power. If you get me? Anyway, if they ever make a new version/reboot of this show (and I hope they do, one day, as the concept is wonderful) hopefully they'll stick to the Highlander only beheading another Immortal once a season (usually in the finale) or something. The sort of "lots of minor enemies but a Big Bad per season" formula utilised by shows like Buffy and Angel. Hey, in fact, an "Angel" style Highlander show would work really well. "MacLeod Investigations and Antiques"

siftybastard

[24]May 5, 2008
    • level: 19

It's a good idea. There are a few problems with that.

To me, Immortals are that special that they make good "end of season baddies". Sure a new re-imagined series might find ways to make them better and all, but that might break the show a little.

And, the few episodes that didn't feature other immortals, in the original series, were good, but they weren't what we watched it for. Duncans little life troubles caused by being immortal aren't enough to make on season out of, I don't think.

They could always treat it like BSG and turn it into a tacky soap opera and make people think they are watching a cool show.

Timewhisper

[25]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 7
    I though the whole foundling premise of immortals was silly and should have been dropped.

As to the knowledge gained in the quickenings, they should make it skills and strength gained, not memories.

lordoracle

[26]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 9

Coming into this discussion rather late, but movie 3 (even the creators ignore 2) doesn't tie to the series. Somewhere, I read that the producers said the series is an alternate reality which spawns from Kurgan and Connor NOT being the last 2. In the second season premiere, Dawson brings up their bios and says that the world was lucky when Connor took Kurgan's head 10 yrs ago.

In the first movie, Ramirez says no one knows why they must fight until only one remains, but he does say that the Gathering would draw the remaining immortals together. Since in the shows reality, Connor and Kurgan were not the last, it was not the Gathering yet. It might have been the early stages but no one can be sure how long the Gathering would last.

It's kind of like in the Bible. It took God 6 days to make creation, but time is perceived differently by God. To God, 6 days may be what we would perceive as a million years.

To the immortals, the Gathering could take a hundred years.

jack756

[27]Aug 22, 2010
    • level: 14
    asecooper222 wrote:

As it was said before, "Why don't we just put our swords down and just get along?" Well, why dont all these countries who have massive weapons and armies just stop? Because there will always be those Immortals out there who do it for the love of it, and the others who do not WISH to be part of the game but defend themselves, since you cannot trust everyone... look where it got the second, or "fake" Methos - he trusted everyone, and while it almost always worked, in the end, he lost his head for it.

EDIT: As for WHY it started in the first place, I'm guessing it had something to do with alot of the first Immortals coming together and creating rules... or maybe it's just something they are compelled to do, such as some Immortals are compelled to kill themselves without knowing why until after they revive and meet another Immortal. Plus, death is a nessesary thing for mortals, maybe it is for Immortals as well, just in a different way.

i was wondering what is that video from your icon b/c it looks familiar.