Highlander Forums

(ended 1998)

The Source comment page; Spoilers are here!!

beowulf579

[1]Sep 15, 2007
    • level: 59
    Ok...just a place to talk about the movie without worrying about ruining it for someone. If you don't want to know anything about the movie...don't read on.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

beowulf579

[2]Sep 15, 2007
    Ok...some complaints on this movie;
    1. No real flashbacks
    2. No back story how he met Anna
    3. The computer backgrounds were a tad odd
    4. Ok....if the planets were really that close...the gravity of all that would destroy the earth
    5. the rotting immortal and the guardian are older than Methos....I guess

Good points;
    1. Methos
    2. Joe
    3. The artistic look was interesting
    4. we at least got to hear what happened to Kate (Endgame)

crazybabecake

[3]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 13
    I thought the whole thing was rushed, especially the very end. There was only about 80 minutes of actually movie time, the rest was commercials. It was to rushed, and I was kind of confused until the end when Anna's did the voice-over/explanation. I did like the passing explanation of what happened to Kate, not that it was a real explanation, but we get the idea behind it. At least they didn't rewrite history over her. Sad for our loss of Joe, but glad Methos is still around, and glad he stayed around.Like Beowulf stated, no flashbacks, and not much Duncan/Anna history given.Didn't follow the usual Highlander format.This will never be the best Highlander ever, and I'm not sure what to make of it.
    Edited on 09/17/2007 1:55pm

beowulf579

[4]Sep 18, 2007
    It was waaaaay to quick. One of the hallmarks of the series is the flashbacks (featuring dates) Duncan has for himself to fall back on. It helps show growth or connection to whats going on now. That rotting Elder told a story but hardly seemed like a flashback.

And the "Source" isn't the source of all immortals. It would be impossible. There are hundreds if not thousands of potential immortals born every year....and this is not how they come to be. This event seemed too special to account for even a fraction of immortals. They should have made it out like there are three holy grails for immortals;
    1. Having a child (this movie)
    2. Making someone immortal that isn't naturally
    3. Quest for all lost quickenings

The last one was an idea I have had and thinks it could fit well into the Highlander Mythos. Those quickenings that happen due to executions, accidents, natural disaters..etc had to go somewhere and after all the thousands of years there should be lots of them. They could even have it that Atlantis was the homeland for immortals and it's sinking was due to the first quickening...and thus providing the villian for the story as well.

Ok..ok..getting off base. In the end...this was ok if there is another...longer..more detailed movie to connect it with.

Tawrens

[5]Sep 19, 2007
    • level: 7

beowulf579 wrote:
    Ok...some complaints on this movie; 1. No real flashbacks 2. No back story how he met Anna 3. The computer backgrounds were a tad odd 4. Ok....if the planets were really that close...the gravity of all that would destroy the earth 5. the rotting immortal and the guardian are older than Methos....I guess Good points; 1. Methos 2. Joe 3. The artistic look was interesting 4. we at least got to hear what happened to Kate (Endgame)

Bad points bumping off Joe period, leaving Methos fate up in the air. Also wasn't it a gypsy that told him he'd never marry and yet he's married to Faith in #4 and now Anna in #5. What happened to Faith? The chick he stabbed on their wedding night without bothering to ask her if she wanted immortality? After everything was aid and done the source was never revealed. All we got was that Duncan and Anna went biblical and had a kid. We didn't get to know if it was a boy or girl.

HL #1

HL#3

HL#4

HL#5

HL#2

Is my rating because 1 was great 2 was a 'What were they smoking or was there brain damage involved.' 3 was ok but not really up to HL standards, 4 except for a few scenes between Connor and Duncan and even fewer between Duncan and Joe and Methos. Anyone first viewing HL would of wondered why Joe was saving Duncan. $ was one long music video. and 5 may have been the death knell of the series.

beowulf579

[6]Sep 19, 2007
    I loved the first movie...who wouldn't thats a HL fan. And honestly I haven't seen all the Connor related movies straight through. They just never seemed to live up to the first.
    Endgame was different though because I am a huge fan of the tv series and I thought they did well with it.

Faith was the present day name for Duncan's wife Kate. They mentioned Kate dying in this movie.

no1thinker

[7]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 19
    I finally watched it. I must say, it's pretty bad. It left me confused & totally disappointed. Endgame was a lot better than this.

RayD70

[9]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 3

Worst. Highlander. Ever.

It makes the abomination that was HL2 look like a classic.

Chalk this one up to yet another "bad acid trip" that belongs in the trash bin, and far away from official lore.

Timewhisper

[10]Dec 17, 2008
    The horror, the horror!

CaptainHarkness

[11]Dec 23, 2008
    • level: 23

This movie was just bad. I'm not afraid to admit that I bought it, becuase I did.

The origin of The Immortals shouldn't be screwed around with, I mean just leave it alone and give us another classic Highlander movie. Then they decide to place it in a post apocolyptic world, I mean nobody wants to see that. The story felt very rushed and just unecessary. I didn't like the fact that they just snapped Duncan's Katanna like a twig, that was a symbolic part of the tv show. I'm not sure if they should make another Highlander movie after this. Maybe if they forget that any of this ever happened and make a good movie without The Immortal origins.

Anyway, Rant over.

sguaj

[12]Jan 8, 2010
    • level: 6
    Im sorry i actually bought this movie to add to my Highlander collection. The actual plot seem interesting, but the the delivering was flat. It just seemed like they wanted to end the Highlander universe by killing off the previous characters; remember they did that to Conner. Maybe they just don want their characters to actually look like they age. As for the plot It makes you wonder what was edited out; it felt like quite a bit was removed to me . The only thing about the movie that really struck me very deeply was Methos riding away on a horse. It kind of felt like a really final goodbye for him.

Timewhisper

[13]Jan 19, 2010
    I would not take a copy of this movie for free. It was horrible. The characters were nothing like they were in the series, Methos seemed angry and shouted a lot for no reason. The whole concept of the series was ruined: There can be only one, the villain was absurd, the fight at the end stupid beyond belief, and end of the fight literally made me laugh out loud.
    This movie killed the Highlander franchise.

thetrellan

[14]May 10, 2010
    • level: 1

Dear God, I just saw it for a second time! It just boggles the mind how spectacularly awful it is! I don't think it really registered the first time, but this flick makes the second film bearable to watch. It's as if they let the same team produce both. Oh man, I think I'm gonna be sick...