Highlander

(ended 1998)

Gislef

Highlander Fan Reviews (44)

• eye of the beholder

Good action story le great good ending
  • This series = My love

This series is the best thing have ever happened to my life <3
  • Set in an alternate timeline where the events of the movie are the beginning of The Gathering, not the end, this show opens up and explores the possiblilities of the world invented in the first movie.

Unlike the movies, in the TV show we get to see female immortals, immortals with glasses, immortals with spych and mental problems, and a secret society of mortals who watch what immortals do. We get to see how immortals have subtly and not-so-subtly affected the history and development of the human race.
    Unfortunately, they didn't know when to stop. When the creativity was stale, when they lost their good sworc choreographer, they just kept going until they ground the show into the dirt.
    Seasons 1-3 are pretty good. Season 4 isn't, and season 5 is horriblly awful beyond words. For some reason, the number of comedy episodes went from 0-1 to 50% or more. The quality of the swordfights went from decent-to-great to uninspiring-to-lackluster. The easy way to spot when they lose their swordmaster: all the fights are filmed with two characters wearing all black, against a black background, with minimal lighting, all so you can't actuallly see what's going on.
    The Last episode of season 3 is called "Finale". I strongly recommend you stop there.
  • a really good sci fi show that i watched all the time

highlander was a really good show and it was show that took place in scotland and a guy that weild a sword that was powerful and would use it to defet his eneimes and cut there head off to get even more powerful i like it becasue of the movies i saw and the show was really good like the movies and the speical effects and story lines were really good. i watched this show when i was younger at the time i was in elementry school. and i enjoyed this show and that is why i gave the show what i gave it.
  • This is one of the greatest sci-fi television shows of all-time bar none. Christopher Lambert played an impressive Highlander in the movies, but I truly feel that Adrian Paul was born to play this role.

The show took a little time to mature and find itself during the first season, but I think really found its identity during the latter half of the second season. The show hit its prime during seasons 3-5, but peaked/jumped the shark in the season 5 finale. Season 6 was the final season, and it was disgustingly awful. Pitiful would be an understatement. Reason being, is that the season was shortened from 22 episodes to 13. That was ok, but there were several episodes that really didn't even star Duncan MacLeod (the main character) in them at all! The producers were using the final season episodes as auditions for a female Highlander spin-off. So, the episodes would feature Duncan for about 3 minutes, and would spend the other 49 minutes on one episode story arcs involving random female leads. The worst part of it all, is that after butchering the final season of what was an amazing Sci-Fi series... they didn't even cast any of those female actors to play in the spin-off. They used a recurring character that had been on the show since the first season! So, basically, they butchered the last season of Highlander in the end for nothing. There were 3 or 4 good episodes in season 6... the rest sucked big time! I HIGHLY recommend picking up this series, and watching it through season 5. You might as well just ignore season 6, and pretend it never existed. Season 1 - good, Season 2 - getting better, Seasons 3-5 - awesome, Season 6 - A worse hatchet job than Sliders final season
  • When it was good it was very, very good. You know the rest.

The television show did *not* make the error of the second Highlander movie, that is: forgetting about all the nifty history and characterization of the first film and going for sci fi garbage shots of electricity. The show picked up right where the first film left, with a somewhat tortured hero and all of history (or at least four hundred years) to play in. Duncan MacLeod was never my favourite character but he was the central role needed to showcase all the other points of view and moralities of the other characters, many of whom were very complex and interesting. My favourite of these is Methos, but Joe, Darius, and Fitzcairn were all fine to watch.

Some of the best episodes stemmed from questions of what is right and wrong, whether we can change, whether we can (or should) be forgiven and forgive ourselves, and of course how many jokes can you make about being older and wiser and where do they stick that sword when it isn't being used, anyway? There was enough heart to this show that even when it was scraping bottom (eg. some of the last season episodes when they were experimenting with other immortals to see if they could make a spin-off) it muddled through without sucking.

It has been finished for a decade but I still meet people who continue to adore the series. Let's just not talk about the new movies, though.
  • Highlander was my favourite action show when i was about 11 or 12 years old. What i liked about the show were the scenes of duncan going back in the past. And also the swordfights were excellent and entertaining.

Highlander was my favourite action show when i was about 11 or 12 years old. What i liked about the show were the scenes of duncan going back in the past. And also the swordfights were excellent and entertaining.Duncan is immortal until his head is cut of. He must fights others like him to receive their energy. They are bound by the rule not to fight on sacred ground. The intro song made by queen is also very cool. One of the best i've ever seen on tv. If you never have watched this show. Then i can recommend it to you.
  • Immortals walk among us. They don't know what they are until they die the first time. Then they learn to take the heads of other Immortals for their power. Our hero is Duncan McCloud born on the Highland of Scotland, hes 400 years old. Soundtrack by Queen

This is one of my favorite Sci-Fi shows of all time starring Adrian Paul who is definitely one of the sexiest men ever and is actually also a model for the covers of romance novels. My absolute favorite though is the character of Methos, who doesn't show up until around the third season. Methos is played by Peter Wingfield who was also an Olympic Trampoline Champion. Methos is the oldest living immortal, and he got that way basically out of cleverness and something I'd hate to call cowardice. He would just say he knows when to walk away. Duncan, however, never walks away from a fight and is challenged quite often. There is a lot of really fantastic swordplay in this show. Adrian Paul really does know kung fu and there's much choreography and intricate fight scenes. The show moves back and forth between Paris, France - and New Jersey, US. Though much of it was filmed in Canada. I wish the character of Tessa had lasted longer, and although I didn't like her in the beginning in the end I couldn't imagine the show without the character Amanda. They got very creative with set design and costuming - as there is a flashback to some historic moment in Duncan's 400 year life span in every episode.
  • Great show...

This would have to be one of the greatest tv shows of all time. It's basically a spin-off from the movie starring Christopher Lambert. What a great spin-off it is too. Adrian Paul does very well in his roll of Duncan Macleod. My favorite season would have to be seasons 3, 4, and 5. It just seemed like there was more fight scenes in the later seasons. I can't say whether or not I like season 6 because I haven't seen any of it yet. This shopw introduced so many likable characters like Joe Dawson, Amanda, Richie, and one of my personal favorites Methos. This show even had a spin-off with Amanda as the main character. It only lasted the one season but it would have been good to see more from it. I would like to see this show back on the air. The movie Endgame was really good but I didn't like The Source at all.
  • A briliant show involving swords, lightning, a thunderbird and so much more...

Highlander is a classic show from the 90s that incorporates sword fights, immortality, thunderbird, beheading, transfer of power and lightning ... sounds pretty cool to me. The episodes are basically telling an overall story usually with an epic battle at the end of them. I wouldn't consider it a master piece of writing or acting, however, the show is very entertaining, and if you are interested in the genre you were probably hooked on this show in the early 90s. In the first episode Christopher Lambert does a cameo to help explain the story and get the series started. Overall a simple but entertaining show, and as usual, I'd reccomend it.
  • I love this show. I bought the DVD sets for every season!

This is some of the best television in some time. This series was full of action, drama, comedy and just plain fun to watch. Adrian Paul was a perfect choice as the lead in this series. It was great to wacth the adventures of Duncan McCleod as he lead us through his 400 plus years of life. One of the great things about this show was that it was full of historical references and the flashbacks were done in such a manner as to capture the time period represented so accurtely. I really miss this show but alas, all good things do end! It will live on because I have all the DVD's!
  • Bring it back!

I am a big Highlander fan,this show is so wonderful, great cast and crew. Adrian Paul is so wonderful as Duncan MacLeod. The show really does explore the good and bad sides of immortality, Duncan MacLeod is a man of Principle and morals, he was born 400 years ago in the Highlands of Scotland. He has been around the world, made some friends and made enemies too. There are good and evil immortals. The cast consists of Stan Kirsch as Richie Ryan who becomes immortal in season 2, Alexandra Vanderoot as Tessa, MacLeod's girlfriend who knows he's immortal, Jim Byrnes(Wiseguy and Higher Ground) as Joe Dawson, a member of the secret society known as "The Watchers" who know about immortals, the late Werner Stocker as 2000 year old immortal priest, Darius. Peter Wingfield as the oldest immortal, Methos, who is 5000 years old. Duncan MacLeod has fought a lot of evil immortals and defeated them, even the ones who are older that he and more powerful than him, his courage and skills is what it takes to win. My favorite good immortals next to MacLoed are Darius, Methos and Amanda, the 1100 year old immortal, Richie Ryan, Marcus Constatine and Sean Burns. My favorite evil immortals are Kalas, Xavier St. Cloud played by Roland Gift of the 80's pop group "The Fine Young Cannibals", Kronos and Grayson. I also for a good immortal I like Hugh Fitzcairn, played superbly by Roger Daltrey of "The Who". Joan Jett made a guest appearance in the first season episode as immortal Felicia Martens. This show really rocks,they play great songs by Queen, the song "Princes Of The Universe" is the perfect song for the theme music of the show. I give this show 2 thumbs up.
  • What would it be like to live through centuries? To witness all the great marks of History when the price is to fight someone like you once in a while.

What would it be like to live through centuries? To witness all the great marks of History when the price is to fight someone like you once in a while. We're all humans. We'll be dead, probably before 90. Maybe we enjoy life because we know it's going to end. What if we hadn't that certainty? What if we became so good at sword fighting that we could live milleniums like Methos did. This show is the closest thing we have to the answers to those questions. I can't begin to imagine all the things I would do if I was hit by a car and woke up in the morgue, finding out that, if noone beheaded me, I could live forever.
  • Sexy, Provocative, Adventurous

As we all know, this was the spinoff of a very popular cult movie. The show proved to match that movie's following. The cast was wonderful. The twists and turns in the plot was fabulous. The cutting down of the immortal ones. Alas, all good things must come to an end. We had 6 fantastic seasons of this wonderful show, and it never disappointed. I think we all find it fascinating and want to believe in otherworldly beings, the immortals being one of them. The show was sexy, the writing provocative, and the plotlines adventurous. And c'mon folks ... who can resist a good swordfight? Four Stars!!!
  • There can be only one. And so it was said. This tv show is based upon the life and times of our hero Duncan MacLeod. The show was based on Duncun who haveing lived for more then 400 years and trying to live somewhat of a normal and peaceful life he cant.

I saw this from the beginning to the end. All 6 seasons. One of a handful of tv shows that I hold very dearly to myself. The story involves life lessons and relationships. Someone like Duncun who is the prototype of what young men should look up to alittle and would want to be. A typical charmer with a heartfelt passion for trying to do what is right. He also makes some mistakes along the way but who doesnt. I would say if your somewhat of a fan of this show look into it alittle more theres alot of history from the Movies and the tv show. The highlander fanbase is something out of this world and will continue to grow. Im hopeing for more movies down this long road. In the end will all see whos left and who wins the ultimate prize. Whatever it may be. In the end there can be only one.
  • Off with his (and sometimes her) head!

I can not believe i used to watch this show, because it is so boring, well, atleast compared to the movies. Every episode if i remmeber correctly, a head would be removed froma torso by Mcleod, who lacked that magic the Mcleod from the movies has. Other than that, the show is just a long and massive filler for the final scenes where the heads are rolling. Sadly,i don't think i am making this show an accurate review but the episodes i watched were boring. There is one great thing though, and thats the battles between the highlanders and others, very well made. And of course, the intro to the show was excellent, both musically and in the images.
  • there can only be one...

highlander the series follows the story line to the highlander movies but there is a different character. Duncan macleod cousin to connor macleod in the movies. I haven't seen very many episodes but i've seen enough to know this is a good show. I didn't like the spinoff show highlander the raven I thought they should have done a spinoff with methos because he has lots of stories to tell. Or a joe dawson spinoff. I saw the first highlander movie and the last one called endgame that takes place after highlander the series ended. there is talk of someone releasing a couple more highlander movies which will be cool. I gave it a 9 of 10 because a don't think they should have killed off richie at the end of the fifth season. Later...
  • There can be only one.

This show was a great continuation of the original movie. The first season started out well, a lot of those episodes seem good when they initial aired but paled in comparison to the later seasons. The introduction of Joe Dawson and the Watchers helped the show by giving it more story arks instead of the mostly stand-alone episodes of season one. Highlander hit its stride in season three. The introduction of Methos as an older and wiser immortal for MacLeod to befriend was great choice. The show kept climbing until the end season five. The final season suffered from a lack of direction. They spent a lot of the season trying to find a replacement for Adrian Paul for the spin-off instead of making the final season of Highlander that viewers had enjoyed for the first five seasons. All in all the show was great for its time.
  • A great show that followed the movie perfectly.

I loved this show. Missed the first season the first time around, but was able to quickly catch up. I loved Most of the characters, Mostly thought the girls were idiots. BUt Loved Duncan Macleod so much I named my Scottie after him. Plus this is the only show that made me cry. It was when they killed Richie. I stopped really watching after that and missed the last two episodes/ But overall I loved this series. I loved the character of Dawson too. I thought he brought such a light hearted side to this dark show. I loved how it took place in present and past time. It was great.
  • As for a sixteen year old teenage girl of rebeling in a way. My dad and his girlfriend has seem episodes on tv. But Sam\'s Club had a sell on all highlander series. They decided to buy them all. I figured it was another scifi show, but i was wrong.

Highlander was a good family show. Depending one the age of the children in your household. It brings in alot of history. Its more then some \" Good looking bachlor Guy with all these wonmen\"Life lessons you learn from Highlander, that could change your whole outlook on life. Seeing this handsome guy coming through opsticals. It wasn\'t one of those \"reality shows.\"
    it was more there was beauty and pasion for some hopeless romantics. Just a sense of hope.You have to watch it from the beginning to understand the grasp and consept of the Highlander. ((watch the movies also))
  • Who doen't want to be the Highlander?

The one show that can let all of the little boys in the great big grown up men pretend to be the good immortal who gets to loop off the head of all of the really, really nasty bad guys. I loved the special effects and stunts. I also loved the characters and the different actors who played them. If I ever had a time when someone had to watch me, I would want it to be Joe Dawson. Methos would be great friend, especially when you need to write that paper on ancient history. There can be only ONE.
  • A perfect retelling of the original film it was based on.

This show is pretty good. It has adventure and action in it, and a very nice premise. I love watching the Highlander movies. This one is a nice to re experience that excitement on tv. Even though the show is a bit violent, Duncan McCleod decapitates an enemy immortal each week, but the show wasn\'t gory. Following the adventures of Duncan every week is a treat, the show had a good run, though I was dissapointed that his girlfriend was killed off after just a few seasons. The show still went well without her. I enjoyed watching this show, it\'s entertaining.
  • lasted a while

i actually liked this show more than i did the movies. i really can not believe it lasted as long as it did. i have heard they are going to make a new movies. i am sure it will probably be direct to dvd. if not i still do not think i will go see it in a theater.
  • Highlander was a great show at least as good as the movie that preceded it and far better than the Highlander 2 movie.

Highlander was a great show at least as good as the movie that preceded it and far better than the Highlander 2 movie. Highlander is about Immortals, men and women who live forever unless they are beheaded. These Immortals are locked in a battle between each other for "The Prize" which the last one left alive will receive. The show centers around the Highlander a four hundred year immortal named Duncan MCcloud. Each episode focuses on a present day event in Duncan's life such as him meeting someone or another immortal who reminds him of something in his past which we see through flashbacks. At the end of the fight between Duncan and the immortal he is fighting Duncan takes his quickening which is that immortals power.
  • great show, wish it was on more

Better venue for developing the mythos and the characters, better opportunity to explore the nature and implications of immortality, and a far superior leading man for all the reasons we choose them. Adrian Paul (who inspires whole libraries of romance novels) looks magnificent and convincing in any time period and has ALL the right moves. He's also a vastly superior actor to Christopher Lambert. It is easy to see why the producers regretted not having made Duncan MacLeod immortal in an earlier time period; not only would there have been more history to explore and a richer background for Duncan, but it would have provided more visual riches for the audience.

The series jumped the shark after season 5, which I think had some of its best episodes: "Comes a Horseman", "Revelation 6:8", "Duende", "Dramatic License", "Little Tin God". "The Stone of Scone," which has its defects, represents an episode type that this series should have done more of: a complete flashback without 20th C references. The possibilities of such episodes were a missed opportunity.
  • "Great show!"

This show was one of my favorites of all day time shows. I am partly Scottish myself & like to see more Scottish shows. I like the part of his role where he cutts off there heads and gains youth and health through lightning gods, & it goes good with his invinceibilty. There can be only one!.
  • The TV show was way better than the movies

I loved this show , I was so sad when if was cancled for new eps..... I bought all of the seasons on dvd I just would really like it if they made a new highlander show because the story line is kick (_!_) and I would really get a kick out of seeing some new faces on a show that for sure wouls pull in the rateings .....
  • Pretty good for its time. Basic premise doesn't make much sense, though.

I'm watching this show on DVD, after seeing a few scattered episodes when it originally aired. I'm currently almost finished with season 4, which is definitely the best season I've seen thus far - complex and emotionally involving.

The big issue that I have with this series is that, four seasons in, they have yet to answer (or even acknowledge) the obvious question: "WHY can there be only one?"

Seriously. Why can there be only one? Why does the Game exist? Let's say that in the end, there are six immortals, all friends. What's to keep them from just saying, "You know what? I don't WANT to kill any of you. Let's say we just don't?" I'm four seasons in, and so far, the best explanation for the Game that I can come up with is that it's all a hoax to trick all of the immortals into killing each other off. And why is it that, if this show is any indication, I am the only person on Earth who has asked this particular obvious question?

Anyway, except for this gaping plot hole, the show is otherwise quite good for its time. Especially the later seasons, where Methos and Amanda take a more active role and the show moves away from "You did me wrong, you die, we see a good swordfight and a lightning show that's slightly different from every other swordfight and lightning show on the show."
  • One sci-fi show that is better than the movie. the story is about a group of immortals that must fight to the death until only one of them is left.

One sci-fi show that is better than the movie. the story is about a group of immortals that must fight to the death until only one of them is left. They must use special swords that they have had for 100's of years. They must also kill the other immortal by cutting off his head. After killing the other immortal the winning person gets the power of the loser and becomes more powerful. The show stared Adrian Paul as Duncan MacLeod. I think he was much better than the guy (can not remember his name) that did the movies. Other stars included Lisa Howard as Anne Lindsey, Stan Kirsch as Richie Ryan, Jim Byrnes as Joe Dawson, Philip Akin as Charlie DeSalvo, Amanda Wyss as
    Randi MacFarland, Peter Wingfield as Adam Pierson and Methos and Alexandra Vandernoot as Tessa.

< 1 2