Highway to Heaven

The Monster (2)

Aired Unknown Dec 11, 1985 on NBC

• Bizarre trial scene

The trial scene was the center of the entire episode, but unfortunately it wound up looking more humorous than serious.

It immediately got off to a weak start with the prosecutor. His opening statements were dripping with insults, snide insinuations, and venom. The acting was overdone to the point of reducing the prosecutor to a buffoon. If the director asked for this, it was a bad move.

The scene where the prosecutor jumps up to help Scotty with his notes at first seemed to indicate that the he had a little heart after all. Scotty's notes turn out to be upside-down, but the camera shows the prosecutor with a straight face. Had he played a dirty trick on Scotty, or was this an honest mistake in a rush to provide aid? The episode does not say.

The epileptic tremor scene was bizarre; it looked like something straight out of a horror film. I'm wondering if some sensitive viewers found the sight rather disturbing.

Scotty's closing remarks to the jury were probably meant to be uplifting. But while his speech about prejudice sounded profound, it unfortunately had nothing to do with the case. If I was a juror, I would not have heard anything to change my mind about the likelihood of Julian's guilt.