Hikaru no Go Forums

(ended 2003)

How do you play "GO"?

otaku_4_lyfe

[21]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 14

My parents got me a Go board and a book on how to play Go for the holidays. It's fun and easy to learn if you go step by step. Try www.samarkand.net for books and equipment.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kametsou

[22]Feb 4, 2007
    • level: 31
    I plan on buying a Go board soon. They're quite pricey, though.

TriangleHard

[23]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 3
    MegaXiaolinBell wrote:
    How do you play Go? I just started the Manga and I can't figure it out. Please explain.

Just go to Wiki and type go to learn the basics. Still, let me make an attempt at this. Go is game of gaining territories. If your stone surrounds the area, all the empty cross-section of the line is your territories. you stones can only surround horizontally and vertically. diagonal doesn't count. Think of the line as roads. You can also capture enemy stones by surrounding them. For example, if enemy has one stone on the board, you must place top, left, bottom, and right adjacent to the opposing stone. To capture opposing stones, you must place your stones to cut off all the "roads" (as I mentioned above), and that includes the "roads" the opposing stones are surrounding. You can't just surround outside, but inside as well. It's difficult to explain without visual representation.

The score is decided by territories you gained minus stones you lost. There is more to it, like creating an eye and dead stones at the end game, etc. but I don't think I can explain all that well without visual representation.

nght24

[24]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 3
    MegaXiaolinBell wrote:
    How do you play Go? I just started the Manga and I can't figure it out. Please explain.
    Ok if you want to learn get a book you can't describe a great game like this with only a few sentences. ( I learned from a book )
    Edited on 03/08/2008 6:30pm