TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Hikaru no Go Forums

(ended 2003)

My Opinion on the Dub

X-626

[1]Nov 28, 2005
    • level: 51
    I got a sneak preview DVD today of the first episode dubbed. I'm glad they left in the original opening and ending songs. The scripts are pretty accurate with the Japanese version.

Hikaru's voice takes a little getting used to, it doesn't suit him perfectly, but it's okay. Sai's voice does not suit him in my opinion. I enjoy the VA doing his voice's voice, but I don't enjoy the voice on the character himself. Akira's voice is decent. Akari's voice voice is one of the few I found that fits perfectly.

Overall, the dub is a pretty decent dub. I'd give it an 8/10.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DaveJS124

[2]Nov 29, 2005
    • level: 54
    I was just gonna do this cause I just got the DVD in Shonen Jump (in the mail) today. Beat me to it

As you said Hikaru’s voice does take some getting used to, as does Akira, IMO. I thought Hikaru’s was better, but sounded a little old. I dunno how they’re gonna show his age when he gets older (via his voice) since he doesn’t exactly sound like a 12-year old right now. I did like Akari’s voice, but I hated Sai’s. I don’t know if it’s because I like Susumu Chiba’s voice so much or I just don’t like Brad Swaile. Maybe because the guy voiced Lan on Megaman (I think). Not only does his voice not fit Sai, he also doesn’t do a great job acting. BTW, Sai DOES keep his full name: Fujiwara no Sai

The dialogue was pretty close to the original (as mentioned above), but I noticed that they never actually directly said that Sai committed suicide. I can’t remember if they did in the original or not, but they didn’t in the dub. They just said like “I cast myself into the river and my soul was bound to a Go board”. They also didn’t say that the stains on the Go board were blood, but no biggie.

They kept all the Japanese text, blood (Honinbo Shusaku coughs up blood in one seen) and the original BGM and openings and closings. The DVD didn’t have the “Go Go Igo” Special that aired at the end of every episode in Japan. I dunno if Viz is including that on the DVDs or not, but I noticed that they credited it in the credits. *shrug* They also have a bunch of VA listed for the dub at the end (during the credits). I’ll try to write them down and add them to the guide ASAP. /end rant

I just hope the “A” rating doesn’t affect anything later on in the dub (like cigarettes). They kept blood, so I dunno. Overall I agree with X-626 with giving it a 8/10.

Chiroptera_Rex

[3]Nov 30, 2005
    • level: 50
    This is kind of funny because I just came from ANN's boards where a person, with the handle of Hikaru no less, said that the dub was crap. Then the debate was off from there about sub vs. dub with this Hikaru fellow not returning to post in his thread once.

I see that The Ocean Group did the dub for Hikaru no Go and, besides X-Men: Evolution and Jin-Rou: The Wolf Brigade, I have not seen any anime that use Ocean. One of the reasons that I usually pick up on an anime is if it has the cast that I like from ZRO Limit or Bang Zoom! Entertainment.

X-626

[4]Nov 30, 2005
    Ocean does some good dubs. Check out animes likes Dragon Drive, Zoids, and Inuyasha.

Dave: Brad Swaile did a good job with Reiji from Dragon Drive, that's why I kind of like his voice. I don't enjoy him doing Sai though.

StrongBad456

[5]Dec 3, 2005
    • level: 11
    I just got my issue today in the mail and I just got done watching the dvd. I loved it. I liked the VA's and Hikaru definitely sounded better than I thought he was going to. I've never seen the Japanese version so that may be why I have no complaints about voices. I can't wait til the 1st dvd comes out later this month. I want to hear the Japanese voices now.Also, they do mention that it was blood on there. Hikaru says it after Sai tells him about Honinbo Shusaku(right name?). He says something like "Oh that was his blood on the board?"

THEDAFTPUNK

[6]Dec 8, 2005
    • level: 5
    [
    They also didn’t say that the stains on the Go board were blood, but no biggie.

Hey I just got the new Shonen Jump in the mail too (it actually came yesterday and was never taken out of the mail box because it came so late that we thought it never came) and I watched the sneak preview and when Sai was talking about his past they showed Hon'nobu Shuzaku (spelling incorrect) coughing blood on the Go board and when Sai was done talking Hikaru said "So, that must have been his blood stains on the Go board. So, actually the did mention the blood, but no biggie.

Dragold

[7]Dec 16, 2005
    • level: 2
    I totally agree w/ X-626, since I own the whole Japanese HIKARU NO GO series(not really though, the last few episodes didnt have subtitles so i didnt watch it), but I hate all the voices especially Akira's and Sai's(I always thought sai was more of a feminine tone). Akari was well suited though, very identical to the Japanese version. I love the opening credit song, BEFORE IT GOT TO SHONEN JUMP, NO OFFENSE BUT THEY ARE SLOW!!! All the songs they have on Hikaru no go are great!!!

My rating 4 the voicing 3/10.

P.S. I wanted to be the voice of Hikaru...since I'm 15 and asian to be more understanding of the correct pronounciation and accents of the Japanese language. (It's not said pulled out HEEE-CARR-RUU it's HIC-KARU.)

X-626

[8]Dec 17, 2005
    Most of the people who are VAs are in there 20s or 30s.

SPDShadowRanger

[9]Dec 25, 2005
    • level: 72
    When does the first DVD come out in stores?

X-626

[10]Jan 1, 2006
    SPDShadowRanger wrote:
    When does the first DVD come out in stores?

It came out already on December 17th or something close to that.

The second DVD comes out in March.

Dragold

[11]Jan 1, 2006
    • level: 2
    Gack....But what about that metal kid on Full Metal Alchemist....? Plus All Anime voices have to be gotten used to....Hikaru's Japanese voice is what shocked me. girls actually make better voices 4 kids than guys do...I always had a girl-type voice 4 Sai and average Hikaru-Me voice (I read the Anime out loud, lol) At least they didnt change the anime or cut out scenes (the go-Go-Igo doesnt really count)

Killaman345

[12]Jan 23, 2006
    • level: 8
    i got the dvd on netflix after watching the preview an they do have the gog go igo specials on it, which is still in japanese but with subtitles.

yuzuki_karen

[13]Jun 4, 2006
    • level: 4
    Hey, did you know that the opening song "Get Over" is from the same singer who sang "MyWill" from InuYasha? That's pretty cool! (I knew the voice sounded familiar!)

DaveJS124

[14]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 54
    Killaman345 wrote:
    i got the dvd on netflix after watching the preview an they do have the gog go igo specials on it, which is still in japanese but with subtitles.
    Impressive. I’m glad they kept them

yuzuki_karen wrote:
    Hey, did you know that the opening song "Get Over" is from the same singer who sang "MyWill" from InuYasha? That's pretty cool! (I knew the voice sounded familiar!)
    Yah. at first I didn't know that, but I looked it up and I was pleasently happy

Mokuba34

[15]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 6
    The first couple dvd have been out for a while......inless you just havent been looking online or at your local dvd store but i cant say i dislike the Dub just the whole way they "Re-worded" some of Sai lines that that i like the guy anyway but just dont think i can get used to Lacus in the anime.........but i cant say there much to be done about it lol

either way the dub is looking decent i have only see the first 8 in the dub so i canty say much the most recent dvd i havent seen yet it still in the wrap :/