Hikaru no Go

(ended 2003)

X-626

Hikaru no Go Fan Reviews (18)

• not so bad

Pretty Decent, its got a alot of Suspense. i gotta say though there aint enough action but there is just enough to make it intresting.none of the go moves make any sense and the whole point is confusing.but its pretty cool. i give this show a 5 out of 10
  • Why is there a show about playing a game with a dead spirit?

1.3
    I love anime. I really do. But what the **** is this?! Oh my lord. I can get edge-of-my-seat-action by reading the back of a cereal box or a can of oatmeal (even though i hate oatmeal). I'd rather watch two chicks mud wrestle than this show that's posing as anime.
  • a nice change

Hikaru no Go is about a boy who gets stuck with a ghost and learns to play the Japanese game, Go. This show may not have much fighting but it's a nice change from all the other fighting animes and has a lot of emotion. You can literally feel the emotion during a game of Go and especially near the end of the series when a certain someone disappears. If you do not like this show, then you have no emotion. Some things like coloring are a bit off so i prefer the manga but the show is still good.
  • Different, yet so great.

I began reading the manga of Hikaru no Go a while back. It became my second favorite manga in Shonen Jump, behind Shaman King.

Just recently, I saw the first episode on Toonami Jetstream. I was amazed on just about everything. The animation was so crisp and beautiful, while the plot is so interesting and vast.

I will continue to read and watch Hikaru no Go, until my interests in Japanese animation and literature fade away.

Without question, I have a great feeling that it is only a good matter of time before Hikaru no Go joins my Top 10 Favorite Shows list.
  • beautiful, simply beautiful

the animation is beautiful. One of the best I've seen. the show is dramtic, and emiontional. The game of go is interesting in this show. The japanese animators and storybord writers have sure outdone themselves. You should see this show once you see it you will feel you want to watch more and more. (unless you don't like animes or go or spirits )
  • This seems to be very simple but it is very great.

Hikaru Shindo was a normal boy who goes to his grandfathers house . He finds a Go board and awakens a ancient go master named Sai . Thanks to his natural talent and Sai's expet guidance he begins to chase his dream to be champion . Sai sometimes plays through him , but Hikaru trys his best to win on his own . Hikaru goes to insei school with his friends Waya and Shinichiro Isumi . Hikaru once beat the Go prodigy Akira Toya through Sai . Ever since he lost the intense middle school student has been chasing his elusive rival.
  • It was an awesome show...a little boring in the end. Still awesome, though. Very intense, and you can be drawn in easily.

I liked the show a lot, it had nice character, and good suspense, but at sometimes I felt the story dragged on, or was cut short. The end really touched me, as did a lot of the intense scenes, but sometimes there just wasn't enough time or story to cover as much as I wanted. Also, there was no end to the match between China, Japan, and Korea that the preliminaries were shown in the 2004 New Years special. I like Hikaru and Touya(Akira) a lot when they are older, because they're more mature and way more cute...and I'm glad that this story remembered that as time goes by for a teenage boy they grow taller, instead of making them a shrimp the whole time. I'd say that this was a very interesting show, with the added bonus of learning an interesting new game and some history, and probably would have made my all time favorites except the drag on at the end, although a few of the intense episodes did make it up to the top of the chart. Have fun watching this really fun and intense story, and be sure to wait till after the ending credits to find the little Go tutoring session and the preview!
  • Hikaru no Go (lit. "Hikaru's Go") is a popular Japanese manga and anime coming of age story based on the board game Go written by Yumi Hotta and illustrated by Takeshi Obata.

6.4
    The same basic storyline is followed by the manga and anime, with a few small changes between the versions. While exploring his grandfather's shed, Hikaru stumbles across a Go board haunted by the spirit of Fujiwara no Sai, a fictional Go player from the Heian era. Sai wishes to play Go again, having not been able to since the late Edo period, when he possessed the body of Hon'inbo Shusaku, an actual Go player of that period. Sai's greatest desire is to attain the "Kami no Itte"--"Divine Move," or the "Hand of God" – a perfect game. Because Hikaru is apparently the only person who can perceive him, Sai inhabits a part of Hikaru's mind as a separate personality, coexisting, although not always comfortably, with the child.

Urged by Sai, Hikaru begins playing Go despite a lack of interest in the game. He begins by mimicking the moves Sai dictates to him, but Sai tells him to try to understand each move. In a Go salon, Hikaru defeats Akira Toya, a boy his age who plays Go at professional level. Akira subsequently begins a quest to discover the source of Hikaru's strength, an obsession which will come to dominate his life.

Hikaru becomes intrigued by the great dedication of Akira and Sai to the game and decides to start playing solely on his own. He is a complete novice at first, but has some unique abilities to his advantage; for instance, once he has a basic understanding of Go, he can reconstruct a game play by play from memory. Through training at Go clubs, study groups, and practice games with Sai, he manages to become an insei and later a pro, meeting various dedicated Go players of different ages and styles along the way. While Hikaru is at this point not yet up to the level of Akira, he demonstrates a natural talent for the game and remains determined to prove his own abilities to Akira, Sai, and himself.

Sai still passionately desires to play Go himself. During one summer break, Hikaru lets Sai play Go with other players on the Internet. The brilliant play of the mysterious user "Sai" soon becomes a worldwide sensation. However, Hikaru and Sai are forced to give up Internet play when Akira begins to suspect that Hikaru may be "Sai". Much later, Hikaru meets one of the boys he played online, who upon seeing his style of play correctly identifies him as a student of Sai's (thinking, of course, that Sai is a living person). Later on, Sai returns to the Internet to challenge Akira's father Toya Meijin, as it is the only way he can play the Meijin without arousing suspicion. Sai wins, but Hikaru notices that if the Meijin had played one move differently, he would have won instead. Witnessing Hikaru's personal growth, Sai realizes that the reason he was allowed to meet Hikaru was not to achieve the Hand of God, but for Hikaru to watch the match between Sai and the Meijin, and in a larger sense, to introduce Hikaru to Go.

Several days afterwards, Sai vanishes while playing a game with Hikaru. A distraught Hikaru searches for him, traveling to Shusaku's grave and collections of his relics. When these searches prove fruitless, Hikaru concludes that he should have let Sai play all the games instead of playing all of his games on his own, and vows never to play Go again. He does not show up for pro games for a couple of months until his friend Shinichiro Isumi, looking to re-take the pro exam which he has previously failed, insists on a game with him. During play, Hikaru suddenly realizes that Sai has actually been with him all along, through the style of playing he picked up from him.

With renewed vigor, Hikaru returns to the world of Go. Still considered a 1-Dan player (the lowest rank) because of his long absence from the game, he faces Akira in another match and loses, but his play has clearly improved from the last time they played, and they acknowledge each other as friendly rivals. The anime ends after their match (although a 90-minute special was produced in 2003 to include some of the following events), but the manga continues. They play each week at a Go salon, where others are surprised that Akira is spending so much time with a mere 1-Dan. Exasperated, Hikaru declares that he and Akira will face off in an official match. He believes he can eventually achieve the Divine Move.

Hikaru plans to enter the Hokuto Cup, a tournament for under-18 Go pros. As the highest-ranking under-18 pro, Akira qualifies for the tournament but Hikaru has to play a series of games to become one of the three Japanese competitors. His friends Waya and Ochi also enter the qualifying matches. He meets Kiyoharu Yashiro, a player from the Kansai (Western Institute), whose style is as strange and offbeat as his own.

Hikaru, along with Akira and Kiyoharu Yashiro, are selected to represent Japan, while Hong Su-Young (a Korean Go player who was beaten by Hikaru earlier in the series) and two others represent Korea and three of Shinichiro Isumi's Chinese friends represent their country.

The captain of the Korean Go team, Ko Yongha, is interviewed and his remarks translated for Japanese viewers. The translator makes an error which causes it to appear that he is disparaging the skill of Hon'inbo Shusaku, who, like Hikaru, was possessed by Sai. Although Yongha later finds out, he refuses to correct the error and instead emphasizes it when he realizes that it enrages Hikaru, who takes it as a direct affront to Sai. This leads to Hikaru eventually challenging the captain; he loses by only half a moku(point).

Japan eventually comes in last, behind Korea (1st) and China (2nd).

In the end, Hikaru is asked his reason for playing Go. With tears in his eyes, he answers "To link the far past, with the far future". The manga then ends cyclically, with Sai's ghost once again asking "can you hear my voice?"
  • unexpectingly entertaining

you would think a anime about a board game cannot be even mildly interesting. however the anime is great and the board game did not lower the quality at all. in fact i would say if it was about anything else it would have degraded itself. the start was excellent and you get straight into the anime and what makes it better is the minimal use of fillers. you would also think that the series is short because there is not much to talk about but it lasts a good 70+ episodes. the characters lack a bit of depth and pesonality but thats the only down factor, trust me.
  • A young man's journey from an ordinary student to a full fledged Pro Go player.

Hikaru No Go is a beautifully animated anime about a young boy trying to become a pro. With the help of a friend named Sai, Hikaru just might make it. This anime is so unappriciated. It is not boring and it's a nice change from only watching anime's where there's blood and swords flying everywhere. Not that I'm against that. The characters are interesting and easy to love and relate to. It's a story about life and everyone can relate to that hopefully. And you don't have to know about Go in order to watch the anime or read the manga.
  • The World of Go.

Hikaru Shindo is just a normal twelve year old boy. But, one day he comes across an old Go board. A figure comes out of the board and merges with Hikaru. His name is Sai and he wants to achieve the perfect game of Go. After Hikaru finds Sai he goes to a Go club where he meets a young boy named Akira who is a prodigy at the game of Go but Sai defeats him easily. Thinking that Hikaru beat him he sets out to play another game of Go with Hikaru. Howeever when they play again Akira easily defeats Hikaru and doesnt believe that he thought of him as a rival. This makes Hikaru want to prove that he is his rival and gets insturctions on how to play Go form Sai. This is a good show because it is different than any thing I have ever seen. It is really intresting and is worth giving a shot.
  • Nice show

Hikaru No Go is one of few animes that involve board games which I've come to accept. The animation is very beautiful, the characters done superbly. The characters go through the struggles in finding strength within themselves. Along with that, there are dramatic changes throughout the story. The characters began to develop little by little. Until later on you see their full potential bloom. This anime has even interested me in learning more about the game "Go." Though this is not one of the action animes out there it is still quite interesting. But if you prefer action, this may not be one for you to watch.
  • A manga/anime about a boy who plays a board game called Go. Sounds boring, right? WRONG! Hikaru no Go is a thoroughly enjoyable series, for anyone who is willing to give it a chance.

I'll admit, this series was a surprise for me, mainly because I hardly knew anything about the game of Go (an ancient game, developed in Asia, that is still played by some people today). Most people will take one look at the synopsis of this series, and immediately be turned off by its young characters, as well as its overall concept. Well, let me tell you that this is not the case. The young characters develop and mature very well, and there are plenty of adult characters as well.

Now, it starts off somewhat slow, but trust me when I say that it only takes a few chapters/episodes (since the anime is generally the same as the manga as far as story line goes, with the exception that it ends prematurely) to really get hooked onto this series. You don't even need to know the first thing about Go to enjoy any of the manga or anime, because it heavily revolves around deeper themes that we can all relate to, such as friendship, rivalry, and many other moral values. The characters of HnG are very likable, and the story and text is written perfectly. And, as for the animation in the anime, it is average, and so is the voice acting and sound quality, but it is all more than enough to get the job done.

Maybe if you're the type who absolutely needs action, then you probably won't enjoy this series, but if you can at least deal without action every once in awhile, then you should have absolutely no problem enjoying Hikaru no Go. My only problem with HnG, is that the anime ends prematurely (from what I hear), and the manga ending ends as though the actual ending was cut off. The ending doesn't exactly feel rushed, but it felt like there was some room for a few more chapters to tie up some of the loose ends of the story, but instead it just ends at a certain point, as if it had just been canceled. Although, keep in mind, that there were a few "extra" chapters released after the series had finished, and those may be the ones that tie up the loose ends of the story, however I'm not certain of that yet, because I still have to read them.

With all of that said, HnG is a thoroughly enjoyable series, and will most likely have you coming back for more, even at the very end of the series (especially at that point, actually). Its not your average manga/anime, and is very unique/original, which makes it a good change of pace from all of the action and mediocrity of many other anime that come out these days (although not all new anime are like that, because we do have a few great titles such as Death Note, and from what I've heard so far, Romeo X Juliet). Anyways, Hikaru no Go is a great series, and I feel that everybody who is a fan of manga and/or anime, should give this series a try. I give the Hikaru no Go anime, a well deserved 8.5 out of 10. And I give the Hikaru no Go manga, a more than well deserved 10 out of 10.
  • This show is awesome!

At first, this show is hard to understand, but after an episode or two, you'll be hooked. This show is about Hikaru Shindou, a normal middle school child who one day finds a Go board in his grandfather's store house basement. He recognizes a blood stain on the board. He suddenly hears a voice of a spirit calling out to him, who happens to be Fujiwara-no-sai, a spirit who seeks to play "The Divine Move". Hikaru is the only one who can see Sai. Sai then teaches Hikaru how to play Go, and eventually Hikaru becomes a pro player at Go. Go is a very popular game in east Asia. This game is confusing to figure out. At first, it just seems like putting stones on a board with no clue about what is happening. Do not worry, the characters do the play-by-play. The dialog in this show is great. It is fun to see what happens in the show. The music rocks!! I like the opening theme "I'll be the One" by H/\LNA. Overall, awesome show, cute,memorable characters, excellent music.
  • A very entertaining anime

This anime is about a boy who plays Go…
    Hikaru no Go is a great anime, it is realistic, dramatic and funny. The music is great, the sound is fairly average but well done (in my opinion), while sometimes going over the top. Considering that HnG isn't an action packed anime, the animation is well done and the art is good, the animators did what they had to do (this isn't Rurouni Kenshin or Naruto) so there is no need to exceed the animation. The characters are great, it has strong character development, and you see how each one of them develops physically and mentally throughout the series. I personally think that the story is good; I mean is simple, realistic and it has a good purpose.It really impressed me how they can make an anime about Go very interesting, the series teach you how to play the game along with Hikaru and also a little bit of culture.

This is simply one of the best anime out there, give it a try, it is worth watching, it is an anime that people of all ages can appreciate. If you are an action-oriented anime fan, this is not the anime for you, but if sometime you want a change of pace I recommend this series.

WARNING: If you are interested in watching this show I highly recommend watching it in the subbed version
  • You won't like this show as much if you don't play the game of go. To play you can go to www.gokgs.com. Good show, interesing, I also watch it on www.toonamijetstream.com

Go is a asian board game, it is played by playing with 2 players and whoever gets the most territory on the board wins, to help get territory you can capture stones or prisoners by surrounding the enemy pieces. This show is about a regular boy named hikaru who goes to his attic to find something to sell, he finds an old go board and that is inhabitited by a spirit named fujiwara no sai or just sai. Sai is an old go instructer to an emperor back in time. He was beat at his job by another go instructer that cheated in a game of go to decide the best one. after sai loses he drowns himself in a pond and is sealed into a go board. Now Hikaru must constantly play go to please sai, and actually plays the game after that.
  • When Shindo Hikaru gets intertwined with a legendary go player from ancient Japan named Sai he is forced to play more and more go. Soon he learns to like it but is he good enough to become a pro?

Hikaru No Go is the best anime ever. And i hate go. So thats saying something. The story is so amazing. The show goes in depth to countless characters letting us get to know them. Something that most shows do not let you see or do not give enough detail. It is the second closest to a perfect show I have seen next to Lost. It shows so much development in each character, for instance Hikaru starts out a playful ignorant kid but grows into this serious go player. The best part of the show is that it does not just show development for Hikaru it shows it for Waya,Isumi,Mitani,Honda,Touya Akira, and a couple others.
  • Awesome Series!

The greatest Go player in history, is a ghost named Sai, and he is teaching Hikaru how to play go. But at the start, Sai, played a few games of go with Hikaru's help. Imagine, a 12 year old kid sits down. He says he's never played go before. He's going to play the son of the best go player today, who's as good as a pro, and this kid beats him. Now, how would you react to something like that. Think of it another way though, what if that kids wants to learn how to play, but some people have seen him play incredible games, but now they see him play really badly. The shadow of Sai's games follow Hikaru around. How does he deal with that.

I have watched this series many, many times, and I just finished watching it again. I don't know how to play go, and I still don't. I've never played the game before. I know the basic idea of how to play, but never tried.

I love this series. I really get into it. I'm watching characters play awesome games of go, and I don't have a clue of what's going on in the game, but the dialog is so good, and the music with it is great, it just sucks you in. I wish people were as passionate and serious about games here in the US as they are in this series. This series really makes you want to be a part of the atmosphere of these players. I hate that the series ends, it feels like it's just getting started. I keep looking for a second series, with them older, and find out just how good Hikaru becoming, what kind of impact to the world of go does he really do. I would love to talk to the create of this series.

It's a crime that there is a English Dub of this series, but you can't buy it. It doesn't make any sense how a series that is this good, that has been done in a English Dub, and the Dub is well done, isn't for sale anywhere.

Anime really is the best story telling device in the world, and should be huge in the US. But I don't think it's been introduced to the US in a way that viewers would understand it best. Usually you watch a anime series for the first time, and if it's the right one, you fall in love with anime, if it's the wrong one, you hate anime. Very odd how that works. There a ocean of anime out there. Everyone knows, not every anime is awesome, but there are tons of awesome anime.

Hikaru No Go is one of those animes. It is a great story, and you don't need to know anything about the game of go to watch it. It's the story that gets you. For me, I use to play chess growing up, and I was really serious about it. So, I can relate to how serious they are about go.