Hikaru no Go

(ended 2003)

X-626

Hikaru no Go Fan Reviews (18)

• A manga/anime about a boy who plays a board game called Go. Sounds boring, right? WRONG! Hikaru no Go is a thoroughly enjoyable series, for anyone who is willing to give it a chance.

I'll admit, this series was a surprise for me, mainly because I hardly knew anything about the game of Go (an ancient game, developed in Asia, that is still played by some people today). Most people will take one look at the synopsis of this series, and immediately be turned off by its young characters, as well as its overall concept. Well, let me tell you that this is not the case. The young characters develop and mature very well, and there are plenty of adult characters as well.

Now, it starts off somewhat slow, but trust me when I say that it only takes a few chapters/episodes (since the anime is generally the same as the manga as far as story line goes, with the exception that it ends prematurely) to really get hooked onto this series. You don't even need to know the first thing about Go to enjoy any of the manga or anime, because it heavily revolves around deeper themes that we can all relate to, such as friendship, rivalry, and many other moral values. The characters of HnG are very likable, and the story and text is written perfectly. And, as for the animation in the anime, it is average, and so is the voice acting and sound quality, but it is all more than enough to get the job done.

Maybe if you're the type who absolutely needs action, then you probably won't enjoy this series, but if you can at least deal without action every once in awhile, then you should have absolutely no problem enjoying Hikaru no Go. My only problem with HnG, is that the anime ends prematurely (from what I hear), and the manga ending ends as though the actual ending was cut off. The ending doesn't exactly feel rushed, but it felt like there was some room for a few more chapters to tie up some of the loose ends of the story, but instead it just ends at a certain point, as if it had just been canceled. Although, keep in mind, that there were a few "extra" chapters released after the series had finished, and those may be the ones that tie up the loose ends of the story, however I'm not certain of that yet, because I still have to read them.

With all of that said, HnG is a thoroughly enjoyable series, and will most likely have you coming back for more, even at the very end of the series (especially at that point, actually). Its not your average manga/anime, and is very unique/original, which makes it a good change of pace from all of the action and mediocrity of many other anime that come out these days (although not all new anime are like that, because we do have a few great titles such as Death Note, and from what I've heard so far, Romeo X Juliet). Anyways, Hikaru no Go is a great series, and I feel that everybody who is a fan of manga and/or anime, should give this series a try. I give the Hikaru no Go anime, a well deserved 8.5 out of 10. And I give the Hikaru no Go manga, a more than well deserved 10 out of 10.