Hit Me Baby One More Time

NBC (ended 2005)

Hit Me Baby One More Time Fan Reviews (11)

6.4
  • A chance to reminisce with ex music superstars provides the perfect summer concoction.

Hit Me Baby One More Time takes us all on a time warp to visit stars of the past. A hit from the past, a little history of the performers, a catch-up interview, and a cover of a recent hit add up to a pleasant way to spend an hour.
    The show is not groundbreaking, or by any means spectacular, but packages music nostalgia in a likable format. Taking musical acts past their prime, generally at least a decade removed from their hit(s), the show gives them two chances to win over the audience for a $20,000 donation to a charity. The first half-hour sees all 5 acts get introduced via a montage of their past greatness, followed by them singing a hit song (sometimes their only hit) from their heyday. The second half sees each band in a short video updating what they're up to today. They then cover a recent hit song, to see if they can transcend their past glory and give spice to a song that's not their own. The audience then votes for their favorite with the winner earning the donation for a charity of their choosing. Transplanted from the original British version, host Vernon Kay keeps things moving, and mostly manages to avoid being irritating.
    The cover portion often generates some eyebrow raising performances, as seeing the now 50-something Wang Chung sing Nelly's "Hot in Herre" was mildly disturbing, even if they did do a good job of it. And to people who really only want to hear the good old hits, the second half can be utterly dispensible, making it the show's weak link. The show would finish stronger with the nostalgic hits sung last, though then it would start with a whimper, so it's a bit of a toss up. If they could get acts with two hits and make it 90 minutes, with the covers sandwiched by the past hits, it might work better.
    Either way, the chance to see people who've long left heavy rotation on the radio waves is a treat. While it would likely fare poorly against true competition, during a period of heavy reruns it's the ultimate summer concoction!
  • This show wasn't all that bad. It had some decent bands in it but it seemed like the worst performers would win all the time.

I actually thought this show was good at times. I'm a fan of the 80's bands so it was interesting seeing them up there and then singing another band's song. It was kind of annoying though that they went through all the bands and their songs and then went through them again so they could sing another bands songs. I think when it started they had better bands like the first 3 episodes or so but that's obviously because they had to draw in a good crowd. Isn't this show popular in the UK or something? I remember hearing that they got the idea from them.
  • This was actually a promising concept...

4.3
    This was actually a promising concept, with one-hit wonders (such as the now not-as-hot Tiffany and now neither lovely nor boyish Loverboy) playing their hit, then covering a \"current\" hit. And seeing oldies on stage was actually kind of fun. They brought in a huge crowd to cheer for every song, which kind of doesn\'t make sense, because how could ANYONE be a HUGE fan of Loverboy, Tiffany, Arrested Development, and Flock of Seagulls (plus whatever her name who sang \"Finally\")? And just as fake was the show\'s host\'s British accent. ugh.
    Still, the show wasn\'t actually embarassing to the bands, except that each song was clipped at 2 minutes. We don\'t need no stinkin\' bridges! My real problem was that I didn\'t like any of the songs they were covering--all OLD (the newest came out at least 13 months ago) stuff by the likes of Faith Hill, Enrique Iglesias, Kelly Clarkson, and Los Lonely Boys.
    so I turned it off
  • "Hit Me Baby One More Time" artists trying to get their groove back

7.7
    It's not the most popular TV show for younger audiences. However, it's not that bad either. I love the concept of the original artists who come back to stage their comebacks and win back old fans and introduce a younger generation to the history of greatest hits. At the end of the show, the live studio audience votes for their favorite artist(s). Whoever has the most votes wins money to donate to their favorite charities. It's an interesting concept, but I think the show needs to involve the TV viewers into the voting polls as well. If that gets incorporated well, the show can be just as good as or better than "American Idol."
  • I think this show is going to need a makeover if it is going to make it past these 5 shows.

I think this show is going to need a makeover if it is going to make it past these 5 shows. First off, the show's host needs to be different. I know they got the guy from England that hosts the same show over there to come here and host these 5 shows. But I am too distracted by his accent. There are plenty of people in the US they could have gotten to host. Second, the show needs a lot less flash and a little more substance. Give a litle more information about the groups. Why did PM Dawn have to sit down? Don't constantly recap the show every 5 to 10 minutes. Third, the groups that perform should be just the group. Some of them have dancers or backup singers. Make it an even level for all. If you need sexy dancers to perform as you sing, then you should not get the vote because you did not sing. I do like the online voting where they announced the next week that the online voting voted someone else than the studio voting elected.
  • I watched this show primarily for my husband. but I have to say that I kind of like it.

7.3
    I watched this show primarily for my husband. but I have to say that I kind of like it. I enjoy listening to music in my car, and even then "live" is my least favorite type of music. However when I am home I like to watch something with a plot, not watch people sing, to me singing is something you listen to not watch.

So when this came on and I actually enjoyed it, especially sense it is live music, I was shocked. I don't like American Idol, but I have to say that I like this show. I enjoy hearing songs that take me back, most of the bands were big when I was in high school. I also like seeing where people are today. I also like the fact that they play my favorite songs from way back when and then play my favorite songs from today. My husband is the one that Tivos it but I have to say that I have watched every episode before he has.
  • Why oh why do I torture myself so???

Okay, did anyone notice that the band (I can't remember their name for the life of me) who on their "second song" did 1985, messed up the lyrics? They said "Springstein, Madonna CRAZY FOR NIRVANA"....it's WAY BEFORE NIRVANA...that bothered me so much.

And they guy...oh god, his name escapes me now, he played the piano, and sang that song, "I won't go down with this ship, I won't put my hands up and surrender"....anyhow, that was amazing, the best version I've heard of that song, besides the original.

And does it bother anyone that Sophie B. Hawkins, was all like, " I get my inspiration for songs from painting...."...well, your one and only hit was a REMAKE of a Bob Dylan song....and he did it much better!! Cut the crap, you get your supposed inspiration from other people's talent!!

I feel much better now.

Great to see all of the old stuff though.

Marie
  • One of the ultimate "Where are they now?" show.

I laughed out loud when I first heard about this show. Now, being a fan of 80's music, I had to watch. Time hasn't been kind to most of them. But for those people who like the "hot" artists of today, beware......They could be on a show like this in 25 years! Word to your mother!
  • Is Britney Spears getting mad at the title?

One-hit wonder bands on NBC? Why did the prez put the show on the schedule? Anyway, it did had bands performing their only hits and their take on current hits, and the audience votes to their favorite band. It gives new meaning to the term: Groovy! Catch it every Thursday at 8 on NBC.
  • Now you know why they only had one hit!

I enjoyed this show. It was fun to see that Flock of Seagulls was fat and totally lost his voice. He was so bad! Tiffany got a huge round of applause, but then was just ok. Arrested Development sounded the same and ended up winning the evening's competition. They really were head and shoulders above the rest.

Gotta wait and see how the rest of the shows go, but I added it to my Season Pass collection on my TIVo.
  • The show's central premise--a sort of slo-mo car wreck of misplaced nostalgia--will surely rope me in for additional viewings throughout its summer run.

6.6
    My wife wanted to watch the Star Wars on DVD last night but I wasn't having it. I can watch the Star Wars any night. But I could only see Loverboy, Tiffany, and Flock of Seagulls last night, on the gorgeous disaster that was the first episode of "Hit Me Baby One More Time."

The premise was simple: Take a bunch of washed up 80s acts and trot them out on a gimpy little stage so we can all see how fat they've gotten and how little talent they actually possessed in the first place. It's an ingenious germ of an idea, and one that was executed to horrific perfection last night.

Among the many surprises in last night's show: Just how puffy Loverboy's frontman has become; how Mike Score of Flock of Seagulls now looks like the kind of guy you'd rent a fishing boat from in Panama City; that Tiffany is now pregnant (at least, I HOPE she's pregnant, that was quite the gut she had); and that Arrested Development actually sounded pretty darn good.

But let's get back to Flock of Seagulls. Judging by their outfits, I guess they forgot they were going to be on television. Mike Score's baseball cap and stringy ponytail immediatley recall the fashion stylings of the WWE's Paul Heyman; I have no doubt that Score is now bald as hell up top. But even worse than Score's hair and the rest of the band's South Florida Skynyrd cover band get-up was just how god-awful they sounded--flat everywhere and completely lifeless.

The same could be said for most of the acts' abbreviated versions of their hits, save for a pretty enjoyable rendition of "Tennessee" by Arressted Development. Having seen AD back in the day, it was cool to see all of the original members (even the Grandpa still kicking it on stage with the rocking chair); though I could have done without their Puffy Daddy-esque maiming of Los Lonely Boys' "Heaven."

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the show's host, Vernon Kay, a vaguely Irish stiff with a strange propensity for widening his eyes at completely random intervals.

There's so much to dislike about this show--the shoddy production values, the audience members-- all of whom looked like they were promised free Epcot Center passes just for showing up, and the cruddy performances to boot. Yet the show's central premise--a sort of slo-mo car wreck of misplaced nostalgia--will surely rope me in for additional viewings throughout its summer run. I mean, who doesn't want to see what Wang Chung, Irene Cara and Vanilla f'n Ice look like these days?