Hogan's Heroes Forums

CBS (ended 1971)

Anyone ever notice that TV Guide seems to hate Hogan's Heroes?

Mad_Buck

[1]Jan 4, 2006
    • level: 79
    Every two or three months it seems as though one of their critics or writers will take a cheap shot at Hogan's Heroes. It happened again a couple of weeks ago. Then there was the infamous 2002 article where TV Guide ranked Hogan's Heroes as the fifth worst TV show of all time. Too bad they never got the show and don't know some of the personal history behind the actors who starred in it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

VMF-214

[2]Jan 16, 2006
    • level: 55
    Mad_Buck wrote:
    Every two or three months it seems as though one of their critics or writers will take a cheap shot at Hogan's Heroes. It happened again a couple of weeks ago. Then there was the infamous 2002 article where TV Guide ranked Hogan's Heroes as the fifth worst TV show of all time. Too bad they never got the show and don't know some of the personal history behind the actors who starred in it.

So True. What I think the problem's is a younger writer. Writing about the show we grew up on. They don't realize how much a lot of people liked this show at the time. If it was so bad how come there releasing season 3 on DVD.
    Edited on 03/01/2006 3:57pm

KarenHlly

[3]Jan 16, 2006
    • level: 27
    Ah, they're probably all Brady Bunch fans.

rerich

[4]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 5
    And it's still hilarious now. Because it was set in the past at the time it doesn't date. But it seems as though you either love it or hate it.

I am so glad to know that Werner Klemperer was a Jew and some of the others, too. How they must have loved making a living making the Nazis look stupid.

I try kind of hard not to think about what Bob Crane turned into.

jbelkin

[5]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 1
    I think you are all correct but I also think it's because it's not politically correct to like the show - they know that most people have not really seen it in a while so they've forgoten how great it is/was and so it's easy to pick on it - since in the US, I'm pretty sure it's not airing anywhere - just on DVD ... at least we have that and UNCUT!

jammerpearl

[6]May 24, 2006
    • level: 7
    well let me tell all of you that i am 26 years old and i LOVE the show and i have a lot of friends my age and younger who LOVE the show! TV guide is full of it! this is the same magazine who picked it as one of the greatest military shows in history of tv and one of the worst series ever? give me a break the shot there credibilty there! the magazine sucks now anyhow with its recent changes! Hogan's Heroes may not be for everyone and thats fine but to call it unfunny is BS

MrRossZ

[7]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 8
    I love this show as well -- I think the problem is younger people, especially here in US (I am originally from Russia when it was USSR) don't study well enough to know what World War 2 was, and because of that think of shows like Hogan's Heroes as unfunny or bad.  I find it hilarious personally

mojo7600

[8]Jul 17, 2006
    • level: 2

Hogan's Heroes is one of the all time great sit-coms ever on TV. The "I Know Nothing" line by Sgt. Schultz is classic and has stood the test of time.

The TV Guide critic is obviously limited in intelligence and totally ignorant to the comedy of Hogan's Heroes.

nannernanner

[9]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 6
    I'm a twentysomething and I've loved Hogan's Heroes since watching it in my early teens when they aired it regularly on tvland. I have been watching it over and over since it's been released on DVD. The writers came up with a perfect formula that works, run with a diverse ensamble cast, it's just timelessly funny. I've never understood why it's considered politically incorrect, it's a comedy for crying out loud!

mojo7600

[10]Sep 12, 2006
    Hard to believe Hogan's Heroes is considered politically incorrect. By whom? Some ntiwit no doubt.

aesgaard41

[11]Sep 19, 2006
    • level: 34
    No one seems to know the difference between a concentration camp or a POW camp.

mortalis2001

[12]Oct 17, 2006
    • level: 7
    Well, I'm 20 years old, know very little of WWII, and I didn't start watching Hogan's Heroes till around 3 or 4 months ago (when it cam out on DVD over here in Australia). I think it's one of the best comedies I've ever seen.

SLZCwatcher

[13]Nov 29, 2006
    • level: 10
    mojo7600 wrote:
    Hard to believe Hogan's Heroes is considered politically incorrect. By whom? Some ntiwit no doubt.

They say it is because it makes fun of the Germans. I don't think that is incredibly incorrect...also, it was made during a time when that didn't matter. It is a very funny show and shouldn't be bashed because of how they choose to portray the charecters.

jeremie10

[14]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 9
    I watched a show today that had a thing about HH. At the end, it had 2 TV Guide people that said "What te heck were they think'n?!

newkirk_girl

[15]Jan 4, 2007
    I think HH deserves kudos for the great writing alone. Getting them into certain situations may not be too difficult, but the ways they come up with to get them out of those situations is always so clever! I couldn't believe it when I saw that TV Guide had ranked it among the worst shows ever. Given some of the dreck that's been on TV over the last 50 years, I'm sure there were plenty of other contenders to take their place in that list. Boo TV Guide!

mojo7600

[16]Feb 1, 2007

I'll never pick up a TV Guide for the rest of my life. Unless I need to wipe my ass.

Thats funny that HH could be considered politically incorrect because they make fun of Hitler and the Third Riech. Thats too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

dougalderman

[17]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 34
    Mad_Buck wrote:
    Do you have a link for this story? I missed the 'cheap shot.'

alanr4447

[18]Jun 10, 2007
    • level: 3
    jeremie10 wrote:
    I watched a show today that had a thing about HH. At the end, it had 2 TV Guide people that said "What the heck were they think'n?!

I think that was Penn & Teller they had on with that comment (Penn talking). They and TV Guide are just clueless, is all.

After all, on Penn & Teller's Showtime series they went on DEFENDING second-hand cigarette smoke! I mean, how much more clueless can you GET??

(And the creators of South Park did the same thing! Unbe-F-ing-lievable!)

hippiechick18

[19]Mar 2, 2008
    ya know, some of them are cut, and you can TELL that they are =^_^=