Hogan's Heroes Forums

CBS (ended 1971)

Editing Episodes

hauitsme

[1]Jun 7, 2007
    • level: 1

Recently I've been using this site getting info on various T.V. shows and have noticed a few mistakes in the descriptions given. Since I've never spent the time logged in while researching what I was looking for, the mistakes in the entries remain. How long does it take to 'earn' my way to be able to edit out the mistakes? I've been a member of CNET for over 3 years, but still am a level 1 so I can't edit it.

For example, in Episode 14 it says 'Hogan convinces two German officers that there is oil underneath the camp when they come'.... when actually Hogan only convinced Klink, then Klink convinced Gen. Burkhalter. Gen. Burkhalter came to the base with the industrialist Fritz Bowman, a civilian, not another officer. Hogan had nothing to do directly with convincing the General, it was all Klink's doing. At the most generous, the description should say 'Hogan convinces Colonel Klink and General Burkhalter that there is oil underneath the camp when the General comes'.... , not when 'they' come.

Can someone 'fix' that episode description at least. Whoever wrote it didn't pay attention to the details. And details sometimes count.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dougalderman

[2]Jun 8, 2007
    • level: 34

Great question.  You only need to be a TV.com level 2 user to make changes to any portion of a show guide.  Your changes are submitted to that guide's editor and then approved or denied based naturally upon content and accuracy.

I have made appropriate changes to the episode in question.  That's an extremely great catch, and just the sort of positive change I envision for this guide.  Please keep watching and, once up to level 2 (this is easy and can be gained just by browsing TV.com while logged in,) please feel free to contribute and contribute and contribute!

DA

Edited on 06/08/2007 11:12am

hauitsme

[3]Jun 9, 2007
    • level: 1

Thanks for fixing that. I wish that my time logged on to the rest of the CNET network counted here. That's 3 years worth! I only recently started here a couple weeks ago and didn't know about having to be logged in to earn credits to be able to edit entries. Oh well.

LATER :>)

wedgeantilles54

[4]Jun 10, 2007
    • level: 12
    also the more posts you make the faster you lvl from what i've seen

alanr4447

[5]Jun 10, 2007
    • level: 3
    I, too, have been struggling to get past level 1. Posting messages will SLOWLY build you up. Writing a review of an episode seems to give a 20% bump-up.

dougalderman

[6]Jun 10, 2007

alanr4447 wrote:
    Writing a review of an episode seems to give a 20% bump-up.

That's one of the sacred (and secret) TV.com tenets, but the word is out. Episode, series, or person reviews are worth more points than just browsing or posting.

I suppose the restriction is to stop (or at least slow) Joe Drunk TV Watcher from signing up, submitting nonsense, and never returning. Who knows?

dtf955

[7]Jun 14, 2007
    • level: 11
    dougalderman wrote:

alanr4447 wrote:
    Writing a review of an episode seems to give a 20% bump-up.

I suppose the restriction is to stop (or at least slow) Joe Drunk TV Watcher from signing up, submitting nonsense, and never returning. Who knows?

That's probably true, becasue I've noticed people posting really crazy stuff in places even as it is.

I don't mind the references that make you say "duh!" I mean, I think the stories are common in other countries, too, but ones explaining who Goldilocks and the Three Bears or Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer are might be helpful for that 1 in a million reader who knows nothing about American culture but still enjoys HH. (Plus, it's great to read descriptions such as Rudolph's "uncommon and incandescent nose" - whoever wrote that had a way with words that means it should be kept.)

However, it really bugs me that so much trivia/notes/mistakes are not that at all, if the person would merely use their brains. For instance, one I had successfully removed on "Full House" - the person wrote that the subway colors were wrong because on the New York subway the green and orange lines don't meet, or something like that. Yet anyone who watches the show for a few minutes knows it takes place in *San Francisco*. So, the stereotypical TV watcher you describe clearly exists, and posts.

The scary part is, they're out there somewhere! :-)

dougalderman

[8]Jun 15, 2007

With a Web address like "TV.com," I suspect the number of weirdoes attracted is exponentially higher than some other sites. Let's hope Joe Drunk TV Watcher isn't any of our neighbors, eh? Imagine how their lawn would look. *shudder*

I wonder where he thinks Hogan's Heroes takes place if he didn't understand that Full House took place in San Francisco...

DA

dtf955

[9]Jun 16, 2007

Or when - given people's knowledge of history, some might think they shouldn't have had radios; or wonder why they dont' have cell phones.

I wonder if some people post just to get to the next level, instead of trying to do constructive things. In an average family sitcom you only se less than 1% of the family's lives (1/2 hour out of 168 hours each week) so a lot of stuff (as I've always tried to argue0 goes on behidn the scenes each week that a family does that we don't see. (Yeah, I know, maybe too intellecutual for some of the people out there, since some people don't even seem to realize an episode takes place over several days, and we see 5 min. on Monday, 10 on Tuesday, etc.; but I've always watched TV that way, filling in details in my mind, etc.) And yet, they post things like, "There's a mistake becuase the teacher is a different one than she had last year." Duh, if it's a different school year and the child moved up, you'd need to explain if the teacher is the same.

Too bad they can't give negative points for some of thiese. What would a negative level be - maybe "dumbkopf sergeant" would be "level minus 1," "Hazzard County Deputy" would be -2... :-)

(BTW, I never stopped to figure out what that meant for HH, but there could be a few missions taking place at once, while others take place over a week or so and you can't have anything else take place, like when Hogan and LeBeau are in Paris. My thought is that168 episodes is actually just about right, as 3 years is 156 weeks, and even figuring that Hogan flew with a crew during Lend-Lease as a volunteer - possible - till they got it all set up, Schultz totally ignoring for 6 months, which probably overlaps, and all, you're probably talking march, 1942 as the earliest possible first episode, with early fall of 1944 as the latest possible, with "Look At All the Pretty Snowflakes" possibly December of 1944, though as I remarked in one allusion I submitted, the plot on Hitler's life in summer of 1944 is the latest episode with certainty. The pilot says "1942," but I don't recalla month, and Burkhalter is also a colonel, so a few things are to be taken with a grain of salt, though.)

dougalderman

[10]Jun 16, 2007

You have a keen insight into how television shows (young and old) might be watched and might be interpreted. Perhaps there's room for you in the business?

"Hogan's Heroes" is obvious in its avoidance of timelines, something not uncommon for shows with historical significance, or at least clear historical starts and ends. While the pilot had no such concern for its finite date, the series went on to span six seasons and, as you mention, 168 episodes. D-Day is incorporated into an episode, as is (to some extent) the Parisian occupation and other newsworthy and actual events. The show does little to clarify where these fit into Hogan's men's captivity timeline, and rightly so: who knew how long the show would air and how to fit upcoming episodes into a past reality?

Having seen every episode countless times, I can tell you that, in this writer's opinion, the show does a fine job of mixing the humor we love with past events we hate, all the while cleverly steering itself away from pesky show-stoppers like historical inconsistencies. While those inconsistencies surely exist, we the viewers have our attention expertly directed away from them and back to the show's core.

This is but one of many reasons I personally consider this series one of the best ever recorded. I sincerely hope that one day "Hogan's Heroes" might be one of your "Full Houses."

-DA

Edited on 06/16/2007 9:22pm

dtf955

[11]Jun 17, 2007
    Ues, I love it, too, but I have always beena family sitcom type. Still, I agree, it is a great show. I think one of the challenges is to to try to see how they can work toegether, such as a few of my fanfics, though most deal with the more lighthearted, comical side.