Hogan's Heroes Forums

CBS (ended 1971)

Kinch to Baker

mishers

[1]Jun 12, 2007
    • level: 3
    I was shocked to find out that in the sixth season Kinch is no longer there. Does anyone know why he was off the show?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dougalderman

[2]Jun 12, 2007
    • level: 34

mishers wrote:
    I was shocked to find out that in the sixth season Kinch is no longer there. Does anyone know why he was off the show?

It was never mentioned on- or off-screen, and information today is sketchy at best. There was, it seems, a theory regarding Ivan Dixon's contractual agreement, but I haven't been able to verify this.

Dixon went on to begin a directorial career after "Hogan's Heroes," spanning the years from 1971-1993, and acted throughout much of it.

Kenneth Washington (Baker) had, in my opinion, little of Kinchloe's chemistry with the other prisoners, but served to fill the missing-prisoner role for the truncated sixth season.

mishers

[3]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 3
    Okay. Since I bought the sixth season, i've noticed that it has lost its "charm" or cleverness. Seasons 1-3 were slapstick comedy, however they were clever in the way things happened. Seasons 4-5 began to lose this, and when season six came along it was all but gone.I found that I just wasn't laughing at it as much as I used to. The sixth season has become "slip on the banana peal" in a way, the comedy isn't nearly as clever. Anyways, just a thought.

Mad_Buck

[4]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 79
    When a series begins most actors sign contracts for a five year run. Ivan Dixon decided to leave the series at the end of his contract in order to pursue other projects specifically directing.

butteryellow

[5]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 2
    I don't know where I heard this, and it's been years and years, like back in the 70's, but I had also heard Ivan Dixon had some medical problems--if you listen to his voice in later acting, it's so low as to be almost abnormal ('Car Wash' is a good example) so I don't know if he had some type of throat surgery. I'm sure you're right, it was contractually related, but the medical thing was something else I'd heard.

Mad_Buck

[6]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 79

butteryellow wrote:
    I don't know where I heard this, and it's been years and years, like back in the 70's, but I had also heard Ivan Dixon had some medical problems--if you listen to his voice in later acting, it's so low as to be almost abnormal ('Car Wash' is a good example) so I don't know if he had some type of throat surgery. I'm sure you're right, it was contractually related, but the medical thing was something else I'd heard.

It might have been a combination of both since Ivan Dixon spent very little time in front of the cameras after he departed the show but he was a very prolific director throughout the 70's and early 80's. Dixon was one of the primary directors of The Waltons among other shows.