Hogan's Heroes Forums

CBS (ended 1971)

When was Hogan shot down?

dtf955

[1]Jun 16, 2007
    • level: 11

I noted this in another thread, but felt it deserved its own - when was Hogan shot down?

It's interesting that with 168 episodes, and 2.5 years betweenAmerica entering the War and July, 1944 (not many episodes can be after that, but some could be), it almost works out perfectly. But, there are some subtle hints that I think show Hogan was there either soon after the war began or even before, as I dont' believe date was ever given.

It took 6 months to train Schultz. 1-2 episodes could come during that time, but not many. I prefer to think of that as concurrent with them getting everything set up. It fits well, anyway.

A number of the episodes mention Stalingrad and not just the Russian Front. That battle started in September 1942, IIRC, and continued till something like Feb. of 1943. With HH, it's not "which episodes are in order' because almost none are; the question is, which episodes *must* come before or after others. That makes the "FUll House" Chronology seem like counting to 10 on your fingers, it's so difficult.

Let's figure that the earliest episode takes place in September, 1942. That leaves Hogan shot down in march, and that also leaves only 2 years to fit all the episodes in - do they all fit into 104 weeks? I'm not sure they can.

However, I think he could have been shot down while flying with the RAF on loan with other Americans, or at least he flew some missions that way. He coudl still be held as a combatant. And, he and Klink had known each other almost 3 yuears in one episode. If that took place in mid-1944, he had to be shot down in late 1941. And, I think it's doable. We never hear verbatim how he got shot down; he could have spewed lots of misinformation, after all. indeed, thta general who "knew all about him" and claimed to have studied him and shot him down might have been making him anxious for another reason - he was getting too close to the truth.

If all else fails, he coudl still have flown all those missions in a couple months right after America entered, and been shot down in, say, early march. As I say, that's doable, and that one episode could have been in September, say...but much after that and you have too many prisoners coming in from the invasion forces, etc.

Edit: Just heard back from someone that he'd have had to have a British uniform on while flying w/the RAF.

However, that general in "Hogan Gives a Birthday party," IIRC, could still have known his earlier missions were witht he RAF; that would give smple time for him to be shot down very early in America's entry in the war, and have 6 months to train Schultz.

Edited on 06/17/2007 3:52am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wedgeantilles54

[2]Jun 21, 2007
    • level: 12

Its pretty much asumed that Hogan was shot down sometime in 1942

I should also point out that the event in the episdoes are not nessciarly in any chronolgical order. I know my history and they mention events that happened later in the war, and then a few episodes later they are talking about event prior that, with those events having just happened.

dtf955

[3]Jun 23, 2007

Good point - perhaps the best thing to do when writing a fic about those frist weeks/months is to figure out just what episodes could best fit in a time frame where Schultz isn't ignoring them comlpetely yet.

Of course, when it comes to that, we don't know that it was six months on the dot - could be close to 4-5 and Hogan just says that to point out that it was more than just a few weeks, more than 2-3 months.

I would say there probably are a good number there. "Happiness Is A Warm Sergeant" is probably one (getting him drunk because they're not sure he can be trusted yet), and there are a few other first season ones, though others, as you say, would almost have to be later.

I would put "Anchors Aweigh, Men of Stalag 13" in that time frame, too, for this reason - I dont' recall them explaining where they got the supplies to build the boat. They're in operation, getting someone out, but they're still finishing up all the tunnels and such. My theory is that it was early enough that they are still building more LuftStalags, and Hogan gets some materials to come to Stalag 13 to reinforce the tunnels. They're finishing up, but they have some materials left over and can thus build the boat with it.

Probably any episode where they don't mention a historical event and don't have to have Schulz ignoring a huge amount is ripe for it - they could just have a rudimentary tunnel system early on, though i'd say no episode can come till a month or two after he is shot down.

wedgeantilles54

[4]Jun 26, 2007
    • level: 12

trying to figure out anything relating to a time frame is alomst imposible to with the show and Schultz seems to pretty much ignore what Hogan and the gang are up too from the begining so the whole notion of traing schultz dosen't nessciarly fit with what is going on over the course of the show, or at least what is seen in the episodes.

dtf955

[5]Jun 30, 2007

rTrue, but it's still a canon line; so why would Hogan say that?

I suppose possibly, it took them 6 months to be sure Schutlz would, but he was willing to ignore all along.

There are a few episodes where Schultz says he'll have to reprot them till Hogan convinces him it's in his best interests not to. However, you're right, a timeline really can't even start to be established for the show.

Iceman1970

[6]Jul 3, 2007
    • level: 13
    In an episode during season 3, a general asks Hogan how long it has been since he was shot down. Hogan's reply was "about 2 years." Now since it took place AFTER the D-Day episode, it would mean that he was shot down in 1942.

xtgold

[7]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 1
    The pilot episode was in black and white and I believe it starts with a map of germany that says "germany 1942"

12Shadow12

[8]Jan 15, 2008
    • level: 3
    In "Anchors Aweigh, Men of Stalag 13" I think that klink gets the necessary tools for hogan.