Hogan's Heroes

The Informer

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Sep 17, 1965 on CBS

• My highest recommendation: I'm going to look to see if its available on DVD or Blu Ray!

While growing up I watched Hogan's Heroes, but missed the very first episode (the pilot) until today (09/28/2010) when a local Chicago station (MeTV) showed it. It really is a great episode and I hope everyone gets the chance to see it. I'm sure this one has lots of cut to make room for commercials, but still seeing it is so cool and different.

The opening is way different, but the music is the same. Wished they kept Carter as an officer (say as Hogan's executive officer). Seeing the cigar bit for the first time was great and actually a lot better than the later ones. I couldn't believe it when Klink didn't catch on Hogan's cigar was his own, when he lit it for Hogan.

Honestly, seeing it makes me want to look up and maybe buy Hogan's Heroes on DVD or Blu-Ray, if its available (at least this first season). This is one of the highest recommendations I can make -- wanting to actually own an episode I can watch for free.
  • Perfect setup for a long-running winner

As a pilot episode, "The Informer" dispenses with the formalities in classy fashion -- subtle yet memorable character introductions, plot outlines loosely yet accurately revealed, and tastes of those things to come given.

We are introduced to our band of Heroes as a bunch of World War II prisoners held captive by a hapless bunch of Germans. It is made known early on that Hogan and his boys control the camp along with its Kommandant and Sergeant of the guard. In the opening moments, a prisoner escapes and (wildly) another Allied escapee escapes into Camp 13.

Hogan and his men are running a prisoner processing center under the very nose of their jailers, Kommandant Wilhelm Klink and Sergeant Hans Schultz. Escaping prisoners from miles around are sent through Camp 13 to their ultimate destination of London.

Somewhere along the way, the "Krauts" (an accepted term for hated Nazis both during the War and when "Heroes" was filmed) decided to bury a spy in the system to flush out the escape and prisoner delivery service. This spy was sent to Camp 13.

Colonel Robert E. Hogan nearly immediately spots the fink by asking a series of simple questions about the rat's American unit. When Wagner (the fake) is unable to answer correctly, the troops are rallied to set up the poser's downfall.

Much is revealed about the prisoners' operation in this pilot episode. To see the scheming of Colonel Hogan, Sergeant Kinchloe, Sergeant Carter, Corporal Newkirk, and Corporal LeBeau at the hands of Colonel Klink, Sergeant Schultz, and the rest of the bad guys, please see this episode and start your voyage into World War II, Hogan style.
TVLAND