Home Improvement Forums

ABC (ended 1999)

Patricia Richardson: Power Hungry?

DaVulture

[1]May 7, 2006
    • level: 23
    I was watching the E! True Hollywood Story for the 3rd time on Home Improvement and well it was pretty interesting. i never recalled this the first time but Patricia Richardson seemed like she was a money obsessed, power hungry co-star. I mean in other shows like Cosby Show, Family Ties, Rosanne, Seinfeld, the stars of those sitcoms didn't hate each other. I mean I never heard Phylicia Rashad complain with Bill Cosby. It seemed like Patricia wanted to much much creative control.

I remember that she said doing the show was boring! She basically implied she didn't enjoy didn't doing the show toward the end. I guess that's why when Tim had a Home Improvement reunion a couple of years ago that she didn't appear. I guess that they must some kind of a feud for that reason.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dramafreezone

[2]May 23, 2006
    • level: 16

I saw the E! story on Home Improvement also.  Patricia Richardson might have come off as a little cool, but being professional and striving for perfection isn't a bad thing.  She also had to be a mother as well as a hard working actress.  I didn't hear anywhere that she and Tim Allen had any sort of feud, in fact Tim Allen stated that he wished he could have her in every movie and project that he makes, those don't sound like fighting words to me.

DaVulture

[3]May 27, 2006
    Remember when they did that reunion thing in 2003? They brought back Tim, Al and Heidi but they didn't bring in Patricia or any of the other family members. Patricia got way to powerful toward the end of the series. 

Jabba50

[4]Jun 26, 2006
    • level: 4
    That wasn't a reunion, it was just a Tim Allen stage show in which Richard Karn and Debbie Dunning made guest apperances and Earl Hindman did a voice-over.

DaVulture

[5]Jul 12, 2006
    That is a reunion. Tim, Al and Heidi are reuniting.

JoJoTom

[6]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 2
    It was a TV episode not a Damn reunion!

txgirl75

[7]Jul 21, 2008
    DaVulture wrote:
    Remember when they did that reunion thing in 2003? They brought back Tim, Al and Heidi but they didn't bring in Patricia or any of the other family members. Patricia got way to powerful toward the end of the series.
    I missed the reuion somehow but guess I didn't miss much if they didn't bring the family back. Did Tim and Johnthan have problems? I heard when he was ready to leave the show they had problems.

punkypower88

[8]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 5
    I know Tim was made at Jonathan for leaving because he said he was going to take time off to go to school, but he ended up doing a movie first ("I'll Be Home For Christmas").

imadoobee

[9]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 11
    On the E True Hollywood Story Tim admitted that he was mad at Jonathan when he first left and did the movie but that they have made up and are good now.

ecgirl08

[10]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 57

When asked about her in interviews, Tim Allen has said that he wished everyone knew what a great actress she was, and that she was very understanding when the show ended up being more about Tim's character. Tim says that it wasn't purposely made to be that way, but when it happened, Patricia was great about it and "she understood." I don't think Tim has ever said anything bad about her. Seems like they got along pretty well--they would have had to after playing husband and wife for 8 years! Also, on the 8th season DVD, when they showed the final curtain call after the last episode, the final shot was of Tim and Patricia hugging, and you could just tell how close they were as friends. Their relationship seems like nothing but a positive one.

As for her being bored with the show near the end...when a TV series goes that long and has that much success, is it really so unusual to get tired of it and feel ready to move on? It would be tough to name even five actors from long-running shows that didn't feel that way at some point. You can love doing something, get bored with it after a while, and then look back on it with postive memories. I do remember Patricia saying on the E! True Hollywood Story that she was "bored" at one point, but I don't think it was at the end - it was more in the middle of the show's run, before her character was more fully developed. Patricia was mad for a while because Jill wasn't being given much to do, and she didn't see the point of being there if she was just doing the same thing over and over, playing the "wife/mom" role in the background and not really having any storylines of her own. I can see her point there. Just because a lot of other actresses don't complain about that kind of thing doesn't mean it's not legitimate. Jill ended up being a great character, and even though she never really had equal "star status" with Tim Allen, she brought a lot to her role, and any other actress probably would have made the character much more bland.

Edited on 10/15/2009 12:10pm
    Edited 4 total times.

mr_snakeabee

[12]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 7
    DJOC90 wrote:

Patricia Richardson is a stupid money hungry **** who constantly undermines Tim and thinks shes better and smarter then him when really shes an annoying dumb woman who no 1 likes is not even really a therapist shes thinks shes smart because shes going to college when really shes a stupid c**t who needs to die she thinks she has the right to tell him about HIS money its not hers you **** Tim owns you your are his **** God has hated women every since EVE created EVIL he will get rid of all of them in 2012 because of how they act towards men and cut there hair act like men and become STUPID FEMINISTS WHO NEED TO GO ALSO GOD HATES YOU ALL FEMINISTS GET OVER IT YOUR ALL EVIL like Patricia Richardson I despise here from the deep recesses of my soul and spirit.

I think that's way too harsh. I would get bored after playing the same character for a couple of years with little character development.
    Edited on 10/27/2009 7:11pm

futuramarama

[13]Nov 4, 2009
    • level: 37
    Jill's certainly not my favorite character, and i know a lot of people find her boring. I never knew this. I remember hearing the show was going to have a ninth season but Tim was getting like double what she was, and she wanted a raise.

zan4

[14]Dec 27, 2009
    • level: 10
    DJOC90 wrote:

Patricia Richardson is a stupid money hungry **** who constantly undermines Tim and thinks shes better and smarter then him when really shes an annoying dumb woman who no 1 likes is not even really a therapist shes thinks shes smart because shes going to college when really shes a stupid c**t who needs to die she thinks she has the right to tell him about HIS money its not hers you **** Tim owns you your are his **** God has hated women every since EVE created EVIL he will get rid of all of them in 2012 because of how they act towards men and cut there hair act like men and become STUPID FEMINISTS WHO NEED TO GO ALSO GOD HATES YOU ALL FEMINISTS GET OVER IT YOUR ALL EVIL like Patricia Richardson I despise here from the deep recesses of my soul and spirit.

i think you are confusing her with the character she plays..... patricia richardson is an actresss.... jill is a character she plays on a tv box.. the stuff you see in the magical

box isnt real.... they are paid to play a role......

futuramarama

[15]Dec 30, 2009
    • level: 37
    DJOC90 wrote:

She's like one of the main characters, if you hate her that much, quite honestly you shouldn't like this show so much

Slash_out

[16]Oct 26, 2010
    • level: 5
    I didn't like her that much either. Actually she was the one I liked the least on the show.
    Still I read she complained a couple of time. She didn't like the way her character was developping, she didn't like her pay and wanted to be paid as much as Tim (which is stupid since he was obviously the star of the show and was driving most of it).
    I also read that the decision to stop Home Improvement was because she insisted too much on her pay and Tim said that the show was becoming too much "about money".