Homeland

Beirut is Back

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 07, 2012 on Showtime

• Jumped the Shark

Am I the only one who thinks this show just "jumped the shark"? C'mon, Brody is in the Situation room sending a text to Nazir at the very moment they try to take him out. Just a little too far a leap if you ask me! I think I'm done here...
  • Lost My Viewership

4.5
    My wife and I immediately stopped watching when Brody is pulled into the situation room (as if it's a Super Bowl party), where he's secretly able to text message Nazir.

1) First, the situation room would allow phones/calls? Are you effing kidding me?

2) Second, he could secretly text message in a room full of highly trained officials surrounding him, with no one knowing? Yeah, not so much.

3) He has the direct phone number to Nassir. Apparently Nassir has the same exact phone, which he just carries around with him, giving numbers to everybody. I guess Brody is on his "Favorite Five"

4) The text message takes less than a minute to get to the Middle East. He must not have AT&T

5) The driver is like, "Oh I know you're having a big meeting right now in the middle of the cleared street, but you got a text message. Here let me show you."

Homeland, season 1, was great. But now it's obvious now in Season 2, that the writers will use implausible, dim-witted plot devices to drag the suspense along artificially. It's too bad, because the show seemed promising.
  • Beirut is Back

There was a lot of drama here and a good development at the end, but when it comes to action scenes this show could take a note from Burn Notice or Covert Affairs as to how to do those better. It just felt like they had Carrie trapped, and then of course she makes it somehow, defying the odds, but with little explanation.

Solid second episode though.
  • Operation Hardball

Carrie, after giving her pursuer the slip last week goes to meet with her former asset at Friday morning prayer where she was always a regular. She is informed that the woman's husband (the Hezbollah commander) is meeting with Abu Nazir in Beirut the very next day and she wants out of the country and entrance into the US to live with her sister in Detroit. Carrie returns to the safe house and informs Saul of the meeting and he is suspicious of the information. He puts it up the ladder to Estes who doubts the facts too. Carrie desperately tries to convince him that it is real and a Spec Ops liaison sits in on the meeting to discuss tactics. The problem with the capture Nazir operation is that most of the buildings surrounding where they will be intercepting him at the commander's house are Hezbollah centers where those loyal to the cause lie. Also we get a bit more insight into the Israeli attack on the Iranian nuclear plants being only partially successful when Brody attends a charity function. Jess gets introduced by the VP's wife to the idea of getting Brody to speak at a Veteran's fundraiser for vets who have lost limbs in the line of duty to which she aptly agrees to. Dana gets closer the VP's son who inquires about her claims about he saying her father was Muslim last week. Brody incidentally sits in on the very operation that is to grab Nazir and is thoroughly surprised to find out about it while he sits in on the VP's whim. On the ground in Beirut the Spec Ops snipers see many militants approach the commander's house and after the street is cleared of civilians many other vehicles emerge and Nazir himself gets out of a truck. Brody briskly pulls out his cell phone and texts "May 1" to a number to warn Nazir, an obvious play on MAYDAY or GTFO in his lingo. The soldiers on ground, after changing from grab to kill of Nazir open fire after Nazir begins to retreat from the grounds after getting shown a phone with Brody's message by one of his lieutenants. The snipers manage to hit and kill two soldiers of Nazir's but he gets away. Carrie, in a vehicle retreating to the airport with her contact after the mission goes south gets out at the commander's house saying that he must have documents about meeting with Nazir. She gets her contact's keys and grabs all that she can while Saul and the contact along with a CIA agent in the vehicle get surrounded by people who know they are Americans and their car is rocked and windows broken until they have no choice but to drive away and leave poor Carrie. Carrie is followed by a few men into the housing area and gets shot at and breaks a brick over one of their heads and gets helped out by the CIA agent who was driving the car on the way out in a very thrilling sequence. This episode was fantastic with the upping the stakes, and now with Carrie returning to the states knowing what happens next is anyone's guess seeing as she most likely won't be reinstated to her old job. Brody as well is in a state of disarray after meeting with the journalist who speaks to Nazir through channels and saying that he can't be sending messages under the table now that he's a Congressman. Also, his being asked to look into Tom Walker's death and his speech at the bar to Mike and the boys was eery since seeing as his saying that Mike wasn't the Marine they knew after betrayed his country rings just as true about him as well. Also, Saul finding Brody's confession from last seasons finale was quite a twist and I hope we find out if that was what Nazir was picking up to protect Brody's identity in the "almost attack" of last year to protect his asset's anonymity or if it was by coincidence that it was in the bag that Carrie was grabbing. Maybe we'll never know the purpose of Nazir's meeting but I can only guess that that recording has something to do with it. And now Saul will have to push it up the ladder and Brody will be exposed, maybe, that will be the most intriguing part about next week and the episodes to come.
  • Closer than ever to Abu Nazir.

Homeland have definitely upped their game after this episode With it being so early in the season I was surprised by how much is going on like Carrie getting a lead about Abu Nazir and they came so close to him which lead to the only fault in the episode which was the way Brody warned Abu Nazir I know Abu Nazir doesn't fully trust Brody but I think he has his trust now The episode ended well and it will effect the season with Saul seeing Brody's video from the season 1 finale So maybe now he think Carrie isn't crazy after all.
  • Homeland-Beirut Is Back.

Damn this episode was fantastic, btw i dont trust

David Estes. I was spot on from the 1st episode

with Brody & i dont feel wrong about this. If i am

i'll eat my words.
  • 2x02 "Beirut is Back"

The best one yet. If the writers can keep this emotional roller coaster, this show is going to be legendary.
  • awesome

Awesome episode, seriously nail biting at the end. My only quibble: why would the CIA be using SKYPE! for top secret web chats? Like, seriously... I thought advertising was supposed to be subtle or fit the plot?
  • Beirut is back

Wow, this probably is the best episode of the series till far. The performances are outstanding, the writing perfect. And the best is yet to come!