A Homeland Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime (Returning January 15, 2017)

Homeland S0309: "One Last Time"

Happy Homeland Sunday. For the third week in a row, you're stuck with me. We've got Tim locked in a tiny room to make him better in time for the big finale, but there's only so much we can do. Hopefully, after a few laps around the compound, we can grow to respect and trust one another. Maybe one day I'll tell you about my wife and newborn son while we play backgammon. Anyway, let's get to the episode. 

Sometimes, shows go off the rails. It happens. Our choice as viewers is to either stick it out and hope things improve, or move on. But watching a show dig and claw out of the hole it fell into is a fascinating thing, and that's basically the last few weeks of Homeland in a nutshell. I said a few weeks ago that it's been a little challenging to determine what portion of this season's failures can be blamed on outside troubles the show faced (not being able to kill Brody, most notably), as opposed to self-inflicted, bad storytelling. Ultimately, it's probably a lot of both, and a big chunk of this season now reeks of one giant stall tactic. But after last week's entertaining effort and the head-down assuredness of "One Last Time," a number of the balls that've been thrown into the air are finally coming down in an interesting order.

When I watch a show like Homeland, I'm just waiting for it to give me a reason to not ask questions about logistics, or whether or not something is realistic. It's easy to criticize the show for stepping outside reality when it's not very good, and that's been most of this season. But it's also easy to forget those criticisms when Homeland is entertaining, like it was through much of the first two seasons (as a reminder, this is a show where a guy took a suicide bomb vest into a bunker with the vice president and decided not to blow it up because his phone somehow had service). I say this because "One Last Time" is full of stuff that falls on the ridiculous end of the reality spectrum, from Brody's expedited recovery process to the hail mary plan to use Brody to further entrench Javadi in the Iranian government. But for the most part, the show seems confident in telling these stories, and it's smartly moving through them quickly enough that there isn't enough time to worry about whether or not Brody could go from sniveling maniac addict to conditioned, ready soldier in a few weeks, or how wild the Tehran plan sounds when it's actually explained. The episode used the international symbol for progress to explain the first thing—TRAINING MONTAGE—and there are still three episodes left to explore any road bumps that arise with the Tehran op. The important thing is that the show is moving forward. 

On that front, "One Last Time" sort of felt like the finale to what was ultimately a whole lot of setup for this operation. The seemingly never-ending battle between Saul and Lockhart came to a temporary truce when Virgil and Max helped to determine that Mira's sidepiece was an Israeli asset working for Lockhart to dig up information on Saul. Saul then used this information to bully Lockhart into pushing back his confirmation hearing, just long enough to get Brody into tip-top shape and set the Iran operation into motion. I'm sure Saul and Lockhart will face off at least one more time before the season's through, but it was probably time to put a button on their tension, if even temporarily. And this was probably the best way to do it. It wouldn't have worked as well had Mira's boytoy been involved in another side story, distracting Saul from the main mission. Of course, there are questions about when Lockhart started working with the guy to spy on Saul and Mira, but oh well. 

In general, Saul's motives and plans became much clearer as well, as we finally learned exactly what he's been plotting this whole time. The plan to use Brody and Javadi to open up discussions between the United States and Iran is a bold one, and it will surely go south once Brody gets out in the field, but "One Last Time" did a fine job of paying off some of the season's earlier story beats. We now know that Javadi wasn't created by the writers just to put Carrie on Brody's tail, just as we now know that Saul's weird behavior at times has all been part of this bigger plan. I don't know if the full reveal totally makes up for all the stumbling moments we went through to get here, or if the show has done a sufficient job in making us care about this operation, but it's a nice gesture. Maybe this was the plan all along, or maybe Alex Gansa and company fell into it, though it doesn't really matter. Assuming there's not another big swerve coming, most of the characters know what's going on, and the big questions now are all about whether or not they'll trust each other enough to succeed. The show lost its handle on Saul and Carrie's relationship in setting up this longer story with Javadi and Iran, but Carrie made a great point near the end of this episode: Either they learn to trust one another again, or they figure out a way to pretend to do it, because things are only going to get worse if they don't.

I buried the lede a little bit because obviously the big thing here—at least as far as the show is concerned—is that Brody returned and he and Carrie had their (rocky) reunion. Your mileage probably varied on these scenes, but it's hard to deny the chemistry between the two actors/characters. Is it at least moderately ludicrous that Brody snapped out of his withdrawal because of a few heart-to-heart convos with Carrie? Of course. But that's how the show views their relationship, and at least the episode eventually moved away from that point by building Brody up through his camaraderie with the operatives and medics in place to take care of him. 

However, I'm a little concerned about how the show approached Brody's desire to participate in this operation. Although I buy that he seeks redemption, particularly in a season where everybody has told him how awful he is, his decision to join up after Saul and Carrie told him that he should only further reminded me that Brody's always looking for someone to take orders from. It's no coincidence that the episode showed us Abu Nazir taking care of a previously nutty Brody just as Saul was doing the same. People have always built him up from various low points, and even if he makes the decision to do the "right" thing this time, he's still been persuaded into that choice yet again. His other reunion, after the LONG-ANTICIPATED return of Dana, didn't go so well and even if he thinks he can return from Iran and be with Carrie, I think we've already seen how that would play out. Technically, Brody has the chance to be a hero, but at what cost again? These aren't criticisms of the episode, just an observation of how the show might want us to view Brody going into the Iran operation.

For better or worse, "One Last Time" reminded me that Homeland works best when it's about three people—Saul, Carrie, and Brody (sorry, Quinn). More than that, it works best when these characters work together but don't really trust one another, leaving a number of different possible outcomes on the table. It's probably a bit lame that the show is still playing this same note in the third straight season, but I can't ignore that this episode felt like Homeland. And I think the show knows that this is probably the last time it can play said note; it's just going to hold onto it for as long as possible. 

WACKO SCRIBBLINGS FROM CARRIE'S "I HEART BRODY" DIARY

– Minimal Quinn this week No Quinn at all this week. That's a big bummer, and a signal that Homeland doesn't totally know how to interject him into the primary trio. I'm guessing that will change in the coming episodes, but I hope Quinn doesn't get pushed to the sidelines from here on out. He's the show's best character. 

– It's a little weird to watch this episode in the shadow of the real-life news regarding Iran's nuclear arms. You think Alex Gansa heard that announcement this weekend and just let out a loud "COME ON!"?

– I know that most people don't like Dana and I understand why, but that scene she had with Brody was very strong. This is a character who's been through A LOT, and she's self-aware enough to recognize what's good and what's bad for her health. Where's her friend, though? Did she just drive Dana to a dingy hotel and say "peace out?" 

– Although the Iran operation is bound to take up much of the rest of the season (and I can't wait to see how the show makes some random location look like Iran), there's still the matter of Paul Franklin and Leland Bennett. Perhaps Saul handles the Iran op and Dar stays on the other investigation? Maybe that's where Quinn comes into play?

– Nobody worry, Carrie's baby is fine. She didn't tell Brody about it, though, so I can't wait until that news leaks when Brody's running through a firefight in Tehran. 

What'd you guys think of this episode? Are you ready for the final three episodes?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/20/2015

Season 5 : Episode 12

117 Comments
Comments (116)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Homeland and Damien Lewis are signed for seven seasons. Homeland is getting the best ratings ever. I understand all the pessimism. But the optimist in me thinks the show's producers are playing the long-game. If I had seven seasons - I would take some risks - to tell a larger CIA story and not just a Brody/Carrie story. Having said that, this season has severely tested the fans. But the "buzz" overload isn't stoping people from watching it and leading to an endless cycle of hope-watch-pan. I think it all comes down - and it has always come down - to two things since S2. Can a "well-thought out" S3 pay out on the last episode? And can the last episode propel the audience into watching the next four seasons. We will know both answers in the next two weeks.
Flag
Why does Brody only wants to see JUST Dana , and not the rest of the family ? That doesn't make sense it's a just a way for the writers to justify giving her a very large arc this season . Don't get me wrong it was a great scene because both actors did a great job , but it really felt weird to me . I think they tried to give a climax to the whole Dana arc in this scene ( I don't see the point , but whatever ) while giving Brody the proper motivation to complete the mission as he is asked ( character development) . Despite that I really liked this episode and I hope we are heading to a good final run this season .
P.D : Brody isn't coming back right ? I am guessing they are letting Damien Lewis go this season once and for all as they wanted to do at the end of each of the previous seasons
Flag
a. Why does Brody only wants to see JUST Dana , and not the rest of the family ?
b. Brody isn't coming back right ?

a. stupid writers.
b. you'd think, but see a.
Flag
An alternative way to run this season while playing on the trust/mistrust angle would have Saul and Dar vying for the director's chair, while co-planning missions executed by their surrogates - Quinn and Carrie. What were really screw-ups or miscommunications, what were attempts to put the other side in bad light. On top of that, you could have this Romeo/Juliet thing going between Quinn and Carrie.

Flag
The whole Dana arc from the beginning of the season? Completely redundant with the exposition Carrie gave Brody in this episode. It even worked better. How's this for a shocking - we haven't seen Brody's family for the whole season and then we see Dana living alone, having abandoned her family, post-suicide attempt. I don't know - just seems stronger.

Flag
I am looking for something more positive on this show. Their are handful of shows that have Emmy style writing, acting and producing. Once the critics start to shift towards a downhill slide (see Dexter), it seems the rest of the people follow suit. My own personal favorite show this fall continues to be Sons of Anarchy. Does it have faults? Yes. But every critic lines up every week and praises Kurt Sutter, then dumps on Homeland like it was some kind of"Facts of Life" show.

Homeland is a show about the price and tension of the people who protect US national security. I for one find the writers hitting on all cylinders this season if you believe that the CIA is made up of multiple riddles wrapped in an enigma and asks you for the patience to finish a season that clearly is relevant today. Can the US find peace with Iran.

Picture the writers of Homeland carefully mapping out Season 3. The first question had to be about Brody. He had to a) be on the run, b) had to be caught for trial or for his own relative redemption and c) he had no "family" to see when he got back. So the writers must have worked on that arc from the start. In the first Brody/first half of the last episode, Damien Lewis lost all his muscle mass and its definitely clear those scenes were filmed BEFORE the season started shooting episode one. If you think it was frustrating, that okay. But you have to admire the actor and the writers to plan and physically pull this off.

Again starting with Brody, knowing the time process for Damian Lewis to regain his strength for the climatic Iran mission episodes, had to seemingly meander through the breakup of the Brody family and Dana moving out of the home. When she moved out, Mike (who is on Blacklist) was gone. And from a Brody perspective, the rest of his family, died as a casualty of counter-terrorism. Dana then had to represent - in one person - a look into what Brody did to his family and what the world of national security has done.

Again that decided time lag - which begs the question how could there not have been a time lag - dictated a slow unpeeling of many riddles wrapped around an enigma.

The show dares us to trust them, that the Season's final story, is the only thing we will remember. And to tell a much larger relevant story: will doing evil things lead to peace or to status quo? The characters are secondary to this larger message. But all of the characters, regardless of success or failure, continue to be wounded in pursuit of the reader's national security. As they are in real life. No one leaves Season 3, by definition, without damage of dying.
More+
Flag
Good thought process on what could have been, justifiedCEO.

Instead we got the Dana crap and the DOOL Carrie preggers (HOW MANY PREGGERS TESTS COVERED IN PEE CAN SHE FIT IN A DRAWER?) BS crap, insulting the intelligence of the intelligent audience and satisfying some faction out there who still thinks this is a good show. With an attempt to recapture the intelligent audience with last week's middling show, which only proves that Saul isn't smart enough to install a home security system worthy of a CIA director that any yutz in Podunk would have in his house. Drooling troglodyte Dexter level show.

Shame. Waste of excellent actors. Obviously, the showrunner and writers are assholes.

Oh well, three more to go and it's over.
Flag
" He's the show's best character. " - This is an unexpected sentence... I like Quinn a lot he has potential to be great and I sure want more of him but he is far from the best character on the show...yet! Brody is back and I am not sure if I wanted him back but it's true that the show is stronger when the trio is on. I didn't miss Dana at all but in this episode she was very good. Brody was an outstanding junkie... The episode really felt like Homeland!
Flag
I enjoyed this episode it was way better than some of the earlier ones this season felt like season 1 Homeland!
Flag
The Brody-Carrie chemistry keeps me coming back to Homeland. I've endured 7 to 8 episodes of pure clutter or the ever so slow progression to come to this episode. But Homeland will deliver.. as always.
Flag
For me maybe the best episode this season. It did feel like Homeland again and we did have the two leads in a room together again. Those were some good scenes.

As was the one with Dana. I didn't really like the Dana sideplot (this season or last) but acting wise it was well done from both sides. That goes to show that the weakness with Dana's character isn't as much a reflection on the actor as it is one on the writers.
On that note: Where is Brody's son in all that? I mean, I get that he wants to see his daughter again. But why not his son?

The thing with the Iran-news is somewhat creepy. But probably just a coincidence :D
Flag
"I can't ignore that this episode felt like Homeland."

That's exactly what I thought while watching it. The show is no longer a must-see for me, but I feel like this episode has gone a little way to redeeming the show. Still and all, it has a lot more to do.

Carrie seems really disinterested in the welfare of her baby. Why didn't she just terminate then if she doesn't want it?
Flag
The better question seems to be: Why did the writers let her get pregnant in the first place. So far that storyline has had NO payoff whatsoever.
Flag
Unless it was to reassure us that Brody and Carrie would be together again, at some point? Or to reassure us that Carrie would definitely clear Brody's name?
I think I'm reaching, but I want to have faith in the writers!
Flag
This show used to be on My Must Watch on Sunday list but now it isn't. I only just watched it moments ago. It was the best episode this season but its nowhere compared to the greatness of season 1 or even 2.

Now my must watch on Sunday list include The Walking Dead, The Good wife, Boardwalk Empire and The Amazing Race.

I think the best thing for Homeland is to end the story and restart just like American Horror Story.
Flag
This is the first time in a while I've actually felt some empathy for the execs making decisions about this show. I know the writers hands were tied by a bunch of suits, but for the first time since late last season, we're reminded why, beyond all reason, they decided not to kill Brody...cause Damien Lewis can act his face off.

Put aside the plausibility and the story lines for a minute, the scenes of his rehab were hard to watch, in a good way. His exchange with Saul, engaging. His reunion with Carrie, captivating. The scene with his daughter, heartbreaking. It's easy to see why they refused to kill Brody cause Damien Lewis is a compete acting badass who makes everybody around him better. And given the proven chops of Claire Danes, Mandy Patinkin & Morgan Saylor...that's saying something. The problem is, for as good as the acting is, it isn't so good that I can ignore everything else. Nothing is THAT good.

So, if I understand correctly, Saul came up with this plan in the days that followed the CIA bombing and has pretty much known where Brody has been this entire time. Saul by and large is a pretty intelligent guy, so when exactly did he decide that Brody was/wasn't responsible for the CIA bombing and that he could be trusted to go on this mission? And how is that a good idea? How much evidence is required to show that when push comes to shove, a "heathly" Brody is pretty unreliable. A Brody that's a couple of weeks removed from a being a complete suicidal junkie...c'mon!?!

Now that Saul and Carries relationship is completely broken because he's being a complete dick and she's riding the crazy train past her intended stop, there's not gonna be a whole lot holding this show together with Brody now gone again. Presuming Brody doesn't make it back (and he'd better not), I'm thinking Homeland with have a few season 4 episodes to show me that it can fully re-create itself sans Damien Lewis before I pull the plug.
More+
Flag
All true. And didn't Saul say in this last episode that he didn't know where Brody was? I may have misheard because I was watching the clock and begging time to speed up.

I applaud you for giving it another season. I have been burned by Dexter and I'm done after this one. Unless of course they kill off everyone and start again. Hey, if they can kill off Brian (THEY KILLED BRIAN???), why not everyone in this cast?

I miss Boss.
Flag
I'm not sure what Saul said exactly, but either he's being a complete dick and stringing Carrie along knowing he'd need her eventually or just makin' shit up as he going along. Either way, it's an indictment on the overall show writing/direction.

I would say I'm done after this year, but I have to presume that Brody dies for real which sort of wipes the slate for season 4. So, I'll give it a chance.

If however, Brody isn't dead...I wash my hands of this show
Flag
What Homeland should have done is like American Horror Story. Restart a new story of the same genre with the 3 great and main actors/actress of ths show. Clarie/Brody/Saul and perhaps throw in Quinn as well.

The story should have ended season 2 and we would be praising a better Homeland in season 3.
Flag
Still thinking about this stink show. Based on the level of lingering disappointment at the deaths of Richard and Brian (and I didn't/won't watch Brian's death), I'd like to see every single character on Homeland (and Saul, I was previously squarely in your corner for two seasons, bro) blown away.

Take your pick, idiot writers. Gory, violent, however you wish, kill off every character. They all blow and I have no empathy for any of them. Not a one.

Oh, and do me a favor, Dexter rejects? Start with Dana. Puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze? TIA.
Flag
"For better or worse, "One Last Time" reminded me that Homeland works best when it's about three people—Saul, Carrie, and Brody"

Can we strap this to a suicide vest and mail it to Gansa and Co please? it's no coincidence that the first episode that actually felt like Homeland had all 3 of these guys share a room for the first time. It was so good to see these fine actors play off one another. The tension, the chemistry that makes Homeland Homeland was back....
More of this please.
Flag

This episode clearly showed how easily Carrie fell for Sauls plan. She is a pushover. So is Brody. I didn't like Saul convincing Carrie and later Carrie convincing Brody in the same episode and so easily. After all there was a story behind what had happened to each of those characters because of the others and they just took the story and threw it away when they made them trust each other so easily. Even they don't trust each other now but are convinced of a plan that can go wrong in so many ways.
If Saul told the grand plan to Carrie before, maybe she would have given up Brody earlier and they wouldn't have to go down the road that led to killing the actual bomber.
Flag
So have we ever seen Carrie smoking? And not even a passing mention of "more poor choices for the pregger?" Or props to the Navy doctor who basically told her she's a terrible human being? I can see committing to an abortion, or committing to having the baby, but this kick the can business is unreal. And that's in a sea of fluffy pink unicorn tears unreal.

btw, Quinn was in Saul's office, along with Dar, and Virgil, and Virg's bro. When Saul was not-detailing his connection to Bernard, and everyone else was not shouting wtf is the matter with you!
Flag
This was good. Is Brody actually going to die this season? I think maybe. Dana's scene was good because it wasn't about Dana getting into goofy situations with boys. Outside of that context, Morgan Saylor is fantastic.
Flag
Summary:
All of the previous plots seemingly fall into place now. The problem? We went through alot of garbage just to get here....

a.) Dana was used so heavily as a means of distancing herself - for the payoff of Brody talking to her when he returned to US. Why? So he can truly see the pain that he has inflicted on those close around him.

b.) The main terrorist storyline falls into place now. Episode block 1-4 saw Carrie holiday in a mental hospital, as a means of connecting to Javadi. Episode block 5-8 was designed to inject Javadi back into his "homeland" as a US assest. Episode block 9-12 makes use of Brody's marine speciality talents and CIA bomber status.

c.) Senator Lockheart and Saul brewing tensions were a means to come to the resolution of "time".

d.) That "friend" of Saul's wife was really an informant for Lockheart. Refer to that pupose in c.)

Anyway ..... Here's hoping the next 3 episodes ressurect the Homeland sleeping giant. If they kill off Brody, I won't be returning for season 4. Because they have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Homeland just doesn't exist without Nicholas.
More+
Flag
One can find fault in the original sin of the S3 story arc, but now we can see that a) the writers did have a "plan" and b) Damian Lewis was coy but right-on that he put a lot of work into S3. The "work" was letting his body decay for the Caracas episode and his Virginia scenes this week and building up for the return of being a functioning marine. He was not talking about acting work; he was talking about the physical work of losing shape and getting back into shape. Lesser shows would have used acting/makeup. Also Dana's arc now is more explainable. Brody has already lost his wife and family. So he couldn't have his last meet with all of them. He could only reunite with Dana by her being on her own and "growing up". Having said that, its hard to see the spine of Brody/Saul/Carrie, lasting past this season. Brody can't go back home. He either has to reconcile with Dana and Carrie or die. The real original problem was relying on Brody in the first place. His character had to drastically change (not a good move ... Brody/Baby/Carrie/Dana ...) or someday die ( ...leaving the show all about Saul and Carrie ...) or end the show.
More+
Flag
Heading in the rigt direction Homeland, but most importantly, THAT medic looking after Brody, hot stuff!!! :)

Also I missed Quinn, hopefully he was busy shooting scenes for a Quinn packed episode next week.

Flag
What was left of Brody was back and in no time back in fighting shape...

Are they simply making up stuff so Brody and Carrie can act crazy? I also don't understand Brody's storyline thus far, I know that's only two episodes, they are so weird.

Why would Brody become a junkie in the first place? He was free to move around in a shithole of a tower with a hot chick and gangsters looking out for his well being. For a guy on the run from the world and who's basically survived being tortured in a desert cave for 8 years that's f#*%ing Club Med. So him trying to get away and becoming a junkie was just unnecessary added drama for the drama of it. Him overcoming his drug addiction even more so... Very boring stuff Homeland.

Carrieis getting tiresome all by herself. Against all orders she took Brody for a field trip and the very competent CIA couldn't see that coming. I'll dare predict she'll break CIA protocol or mission parameters in the coming weeks to save Brody. Because let's face it, his mission is a one way trip getting rid of that Iranian guy and Brody solving a lot of problems at once.

Saul not crushing the senator because he didn't want the world to know his wife had made a spy friend... Bullshit Saul! Grow a pair, if he withdraws there is no hearing or trial or exposure whatsoever. And if he doesn't want to withdraw you bury him no matter the consequences. This is a senator who's about to become the head of the CIA and he is using a foreign intelligence agency to spy on the head of the CIA. Really Saul, you want to keep that quit for a few extra weeks of being the boss?? Isn't that treason as well?

My conclusion is that Homeland is becoming a joke. Sure the acting is fine, but the main characters have become caricatures of what they once were...
More+
Flag
I can answer your Brody query.

He was free, yes. However he had such sheer desire to escape that he ended up indirectly responsible for the murder of that couple in the Mosque. Combine this with the fact that he was locked up for his action of running away, he resorted to drugs for entertainment (so to speak). They therefore wanted him to overcome adversity before re-joining the marine team. Sort of like a test of strength and character so we as the audience know he is ready for this assignment.

I don't agree with it, but that's the explanation in my opinion.

Flag
"Sure the acting is fine, but the main characters have become caricatures of what they once were..."

and that is just what they must have become, all three of them. everyone of them went through a shitload of physical and/or mental madness, much more than anybody could cope with. two and a half seasons so far. it would seem unreal if any one of them wouldn't have changed by now.

carrie:
- is pregnant (which alone could make up as an excuse for A LOT of weird stuff she did if you ask me)
- is standing right in the middle of fighting for the greater good and the love of her life / father to her child, whom she just can't tell it. yay!
- is in constant fear that saul might betray / use / manipulate her again and again and again
- still has mental issues (or does she? i thought so.. )

saul:
- has a painful on-off with his wife, knowing she is / was in love with another guy and he can't just leave everything and bring up the energy to get her back for good
- knows that this guy did it just to spy on him
- knows that the spy got orders directly from the inside
- has to carry a f*ing huge sack of responsibility on his back that is getting heavier with each episode
- (hopefully) feels unbelievably terrible for having carrie and brody play on the frontlines of his huge mind game

brody:
- was and is a mental wreck, from the very beginning of the show, still has moral flashbacks and trust issues
- almost died somewhere in the jungle
- was held prisoner and turned heroin addict
- has been quickly brought in shape just to follow orders again that he does not really want to follow
- lives in constant fear of being put into prison for the rest of his life for things he presumably or obviously didn't do (Elizabeth Gaines, Langley bombing, imam + wife + police)

..now tell me how your brain would look like if you lived one of these lifes :)
More +
Flag
That's basically summing up what happened to them along with a lot of assumptions.

Still.... This show is getting idiotic at best.

Carrie jeopardizing missions or putting herself in danger has nothing to do with her being pregnant. The idiotic part is the CIA letting her do whatever she wants without preventing it. Also letting a mental patient go mental as part of a plan.... not really reliable. And why is it only Carrie knows about the pregnancy? Wasn't she committed in a mental institution? So they shoot you up with whatever without a medical assessment? Great!

Saul has always been a pragmatist. This latest plan of his was speculative at best at the beginning of the season. So having Carrie committed to draw out that Iranian guy, before you knew the money would lead to him... let's not go there. Also to have Brody as an integral part of that plan without knowing what shape he would be in, kinda ridiculous.

Sure the trouble with his wife sucks. But would you really let an incompetent ass of a senator get away with treason? Why because the spy was a friend of his wife? So the head of the CIA whom we trust to deal with all kinds of clandestine operations is afraid to talk to his wife when it's not that big of a conversation in the first place. "Oh by the way, that guy you were seeing is an Israeli spy working for the guy that's replacing me." Not that big of a deal if you ask me. Also didn't she go to India last season and she met this guy before the bomb on Langley or shortly after when nobody would know what would happen? Talking about a long game... And again idiotic.

You're right in your statement that Brody hasn't been the poster child for mental stability. But in all that time he never became an addict to anything so for him to start now....chances are slim. And again, the setup in Caracas wasn't that bad compared to what he had been through before. The him being a junkie was just added for the drama of it and so we could have another episode filled with a lead character making funny faces. And great way to get someone motivated not to ant to kill himself. Show him the consequences of his actions by showing him how crappy his favorite kid is doing and basically telling him to f#%* off. Brody must be the only person in the world this works on in case of stopping him from being suicidal..

So thanks for comment, but I'm sticking to my original comment that Homeland is becoming more idiotic by the episode. It's like an Under The Dome that takes itself way too serious, but just as ridiculous.
More +
Flag
Still.... This show is getting idiotic at best.

Yup. This entire season is moronic. And based on Mighty Mouse's return, it ain't getting any better.

Oh well, only 3 more episodes and that's the end of Dexter II.
Flag
"two and a half seasons so far." <-- oops, you know i mean three and a half.
Flag
Very, very strong episode but only because of the reunion. Brody and Carrie just work. This episode didn't have a lot more to offer than those two 'rekindling' but it still worked. I loved to see them interact again
Flag
This wasn't too bad. Although I didn't care that much anymore about Carrie-heart-Brody, I was surprised about how powerful their encounter was.
Flag
Thank you writers. Finaly we had an actual Homeland episode, It was perfect ! Just hope it continues like that.
Flag
Personally, I would rather watch the show with Saul, Dar and Peter Quinn being a badass. I honestly don't care about the Carrie/Brody thing anymore.
Flag
This episode reminded me why I like Homeland so much. It was the best episode of the season. I liked that they did not make it about the love between Brody and Carrie. This time around, she didn't play on his feelings for her but on his need for redemption. I enjoyed that there wasn't a mushy reconnection but a little awkward, a realistic awkwardness. The last words between those two in season 2 were goodbye. They didn't expect to ever see each other again.

Carrie didn't tell Brody about the baby. This is a big plus in my opinion because there where no constraints. am curious to know how it will play out. I don't know why but I have the feeling Quinn is going to be the first to know.

I do not like Dane, but in this episode, the scene between Brody and Dane was magnificent. No hysterics just confusion on both parts.

Anyway, I hope they continue in the same way for the rest of the season. And I think Brody's performance was brilliant. Lewis is a very good actor, I hope to see him more, not just in Homeland but in other productions as well.
More+
Flag
I have a hunch S3 is going to end with a cliff hanger that carries into S4, much like the show "The Killing" did with S1 and 2. I was fine with that show doing it because I watched it on Netflix, the general audience who tuned in every week didn't seem to be so enamored.
To be frank, how the Frick are they going to have a Season 4, especially one with Brody after this one otherwise? Brody goes and fulfills his mission, what happens then? He returns exonerated? He doesn't return? He joins the Iranian Guard? I do think Showtime shat the bed making the show keep Brody. I like the guy, but in the context of the story he should have been killed end of S1 and the show made into a fighting terror procedural with a new story each season. The fact they've made this into a running storyline with all the baggage Brody has on him has limited what they can do with the show.
Flag
OMG, that was a good piece of television.
Flag
Oh, and when I wasn't watching the clock, waiting for this episode to end, I was fascinated by the three guys with the very black hair and the very black beards.

Wow, I don't know if they can act, but they certainly are cutie patooties.
Flag
It's really interesting how people who have to be distrustful by nature to do their job need to learn to trust each other.

I have to disagree with your assertion that Peter Quinn is Homeland's best character. He has been interesting in a few episodes but doesn't compare to Carrie, Saul or Brody.

The scenes between Carrie and Brody are the reason I continue to watch Homeland. Also, the scene between Brody and Dana was also very good. I'm glad they didn't go all cheesy and have them hug it out, or something lame like that. It's like Dana was saying, "What did you expect?" and Brody was saying, "You're right. I guess I should go." What I hope is that Brody has a reason to come home safe. That will create the suspense for me.

As for Carrie and Saul's dynamic; Saul's the "big picture" guy while Carrie is the "detail" person. They're like coaches on a successful sports team.

I'm looking forward to the last three episodes of Season 3. Should be a fun ride.
Flag
That's the reason for Carrie being preggers, give Brody a reason to fulfill the mission and to come back.
Flag
How does that work if he doesn't know she is pregnant?
Flag
So you weren't watching the clock?

Carrie the indifferent mother will do what with Brody if he comes marching home again, hurrah, hurrah?

And we'll have what, Modern Family II, military style?

The characters and actors (with the exception of The Smith Brothers, hoochie mama) are leaving me cold, I don't care one iota about any of them. Brian getting run over by a car (boy am I glad I didn't see the show) and Richard dying alone on a beach are more unsettling than every single character buying the farm in this show.

Contrast it to Season One, when I was literally on the edge of my seat. Now, I'm watching the clock and begging time to speed up.

Thankfully, I only wasted three years of my life on this piece of garbage, and not eight.

Flag
Yes. Carrie mentioned Brody's opportunity for redemption. After all he's been through, I look forward to his triumphant return.
Flag
I think it was the best episode of this season as it was just doing what Homeland should do, the espionage stuff. Although I understand that the second Dana scene wasn't that bad, the usage of her in the first scene was great. As the family now had played it's role, I hope we don't see them again.
Flag
In my opinion, it was the best episode of season 3 because it had Carrie and Brody together again. That dynamic is the foundation from which everything else builds.
Flag
There was one line that I couldn't believe made it past the script editor. The line, corrected, is below.

"Brody has a knack for getting into tight spaces. But I don't need to tell you that ;-)"
Flag
Staff
LOL
Flag
Good episode, show has definitely improved even if they did waste the first 1/3 of the season on the Javadi Long Con. That was about 2-3 eps to long but it's in the past, show has moved forward.
Having said that it is a bit of a stretch in the way they've reinvolved Brody but hey when your bosses at Showtime don't allow you to kill off certain characters you make lemonade with lemons. We'll see how it plays out, at least it's entertaining, certainly in comparison to the early season snoozefest.
BTW, regarding Brody's quick detox. I wouldn't know anything about the process but recall they did inject him with that Nigerian drug that sped up recovery but increased side effects, AND that scene Brody was running with Special Forces guys was 16 days later, so that was after more than 3 weeks of detox....
Flag
Holy crap, never mind this lousy boring show. Never mind Richard of B/E.

THEY KILLED BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Please stop spamming these reviews every week with your repetitive vitriol.
Flag
Staff
Spoiler alert: If you post outright character-death spoilers for two completely different shows in the comments of an unrelated review, we're going to have to delete them. Please avoid doing so in the future!
Flag
wudntulik2know is the biggest troll on this site. I don't think anyone except him would mind if you delete his posts. I would consider banning him.
Flag
I suggested that very thing in the poll. I also have another repititive troll in mind.
Flag
"One Last Time" was so goooooooood ! Brody is back and I can't wait to see how the mission in Iran goes! + seeing him reunited with Carrie and Dana was heartbreaking
What an amazing season!
Flag
Meet Nicholas Brody, US Marine turned Jihadist turned Double Agent turned Langley Bomber turned CIA hitman. I shall say no more.
Oh, one thing though: For harboring the US's most wanted man, they sure invited a lot of people to their Brody-party. Apparently, secrecy leaks are of no concern.
Flag
If you're a bit interested in special operations units, then it's easy to figure out (location indicated as Dam Neck, VA; team indentified as Special Ops) that the people who are around Brody during the entire episode are none other than a team from DEVGRU aka SEAL Team Six. Those guys have the necessary clearance for that kind of stuff, it's what they deal with on a daily basis.
Flag
I understand why Saul was angry at Carrie because she could have severely compromised the mission by taking Brody to see Dana, but her response was perfectly fitting, like you said Cory, 'Either they learn to trust one another again, or they figure out a way to pretend to do it, because things are only going to get worse if they don't'. Carrie has been a vital part of the operation yet Saul has treated her with so much disrespect this season despite this. I think Carrie has earnt his trust, but he is no where near the point of starting to regain hers.
Flag
As I've said before, I'm still not sold on Saul being a mastermind plot maker because of the sheer ridcicuoulous that everything has gone to plan for him thus far (although I'm assuming there will be a big fall in the upcoming episodes). This episode took it a step further though by revealing his intentions are to open up communications between Iran and America after Brody completes the assassination, to what, discuss world peace?

I mean, it's been nice to see glimpses of Saul's overall agenda in terms of what he wants to achieve as the director of the CIA, but this here to me seems like incredibly oppmistic and irrnationals thinking from someone in Saul's position. Does anyone else agree>
Flag
Interesting how they changed Saul (wife, what wife?) into a dispensable, unlikable character.

And a moron. Since he apparently wasn't up on security in his house after all.

Flag
Totally agree Cory, this episode felt like Homeland doing what it does best, and it was probably the best one of the season to date.

I'd also concur that it 'felt like the finale to what was ultimately a whole lot of setup for this operation', and I hope some of the viewers who were majorly turned off from the events occurring before this point in the season appreciate that what we've endured (in lieu of a better word) has all been for and leading to something, Who knows whether the next part of the season will meet expectations as the payoff, but I'd a little more satisfied with what's come before now that I have an idea of where we're headed.
Flag
Nobody worry, Carrie's baby is fine.

Why should we. She isn't. Just ask her doctor.

Are you ready for the final three episodes?

I can't wait. Only I don't know how much more clock-watching I can take. I almost got whiplash last night seeing how much time was left to this crapfest.

Interesting how they changed Saul (wife, what wife?) into a dispensable, unlikable character. I guess Homeland is where all the Dexter writers go to die.
Flag
Unfortunately, they are not going there to die.
They are going to be around for a long, long time, roaming the networks, ready to pounce down on our favorite shows and ruin them forever.
Flag
At this point I really can't help but feel very sorry for Brody. How much shit (literally and figuratively) can one man take!? This guy has been in hell for nearly a decade now and everyone in his life is working or torturing him (most of the time both simultaneously). How is he still alive, let alone mentally and physically stable enough to function at all? Yes its not realistic but that's not my issue here. I just can't help but feel terrible for the guy. This show paints a scary picture when it comes to "the life of a US soldier/marine" and if I were considering joining the army this would be enough to put me off the idea for life!
Flag
It was especially nasty that no one even said "we're doing this because we need to get you off the heroin quickly" or "this drug will speed up the process, but it has side effects". For all he knew, they were just torturing him, and there was no reason to think that they would ever stop.

That was the detail I liked the least about this episode.
Flag
well said, fully agree.
Flag
Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn...........well, that was a bore.

Looking forward to the end.
Flag
Outside of not broaching the elephant in the room, uh that would be Brody hasn't renounced his being Muslim, the re-invention of Brody the U.S. Marine/Covert C.I.A. operative steers Homeland back to Saul/Carrie combo boldly trying to prevent future terror. It's shaky to be sure, but that is what drove the show effectively before so it's definitely welcome. In short, a much needed transitional episode which telegraphs big stuff at hand.
Flag
Why is that an elephant in the room? I don't think it's very common to abandon your religion because you find out that the people who introduced you to it are assholes.
Flag
Well, that's the working assumption here I must say. Perhaps it is better they left it unsaid? Brody is being used for a big op as if Saul believes he has turned, however, I do not put it past Saul to use him either way. Saul has already proved he'll take a long shot chance and work it any number of ways.
Flag
Montage! Even Homeland's gotta have a montage! Apparently...
Flag
How much more can this baby take?! And then she was smoking! She is just inviting for toxemia at this point and the trauma of getting shot didn't have any effect on the baby? come on your body releases all kinds of crazy hormones during tramautic incidents..okay sorry end rant now.

This episode was really good and yes felt like Homeland again, nothing to complain about except that any episode could use more Quinn.
Flag
Perhaps Carrie is passive-aggressively trying to kill her unborn child? I mean, she says she doesn't want to terminate it... but then she goes and keeps on drinking, starts smoking, and continuously throws herself in the line of fire. Just saying.
Flag
I like the episode seriously not too crazy about Brody character. Just a little sad that too little screen time for Quinn.
Flag
The whole scene with Brody literally shitting himself....totally uncalled for.
Flag
Yeah I get what you mean. Unfortunately that was a pretty realistic side-effect of going cold turkey. The quick recovery however? Not realistic at all.
Flag
All you need is a montage and you're cured!

Turns out South Park was right about that.
Flag
Hehe...that true! ;-)
Flag
Yes the shitting himself was pretty awful..but I think they were just showing how low Brody had sunk. Going cold turkey is the most horrific thing to go through..and just as Sauls friend stated I can vouch for that..You think you are going to die...but don't..but over all I thought this epi was pretty good..seemed like my old Homeland peaked it's head up...
Flag
I'd say the same for many scenes this season. Including the 16 straight minutes of his surgery post getting shot. I guess the show thinks it's being "edgy" by showing these things.
Flag
Yep just like the pregnancy test collection.
Flag
Another excellent case in point.

Also: ALL scenes with the Brody family, but especially the ones with Leo.
Flag
LONG ANTICIPATED. Lol.

Cory I have a huge crush on you.
#sorrytim
Flag
Homeland is back! Loved the suspense and the fluidity of the puzzles coming together. Next week should be fun.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members