A Homeland Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime

In a surprising twist, it turns out that Homeland and Masters of Sex were working together THE WHOLE TIME! Both dramas have earned renewals from Showtime four episodes into their current seasons. For Homeland, that means Season 4. For Masters of Sex, it means a second date. Both orders are for 12 episodes, and unless Showtime decides to really shake things up, the series will air back-to-back next fall. 

Homeland's renewal comes at an important time for the show, which has been pretty lame in Season 3 thanks to a lot of focus on Dana Brody instead of, you know, terrorists and stuff. But Showtime had no choice but to renew Homeland now as a way to show its viewers that it has confidence in the series, because the most recent episode's surprise ending divided the entire country! Personally, I hated it—and I said as much with strong language in my review. However, given the current state of Showtime's original programming and Homeland being the network's highest-rated show by far, a renewal was never in doubt. Keeping the series compelling is another matter.

As for Masters of Sex, that renewal isn't much of a shock either. The period piece is based on the late-'50s/early-'60s sex studies of William Masters and Virginia Johnson, who broke social norms and brought the science of getting it on to the forefront of medical research, and many consider it to be the best new drama of the fall. Showtime won't mind giving it a few seasons to build its audience. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/20/2015

Season 5 : Episode 12

61 Comments
Comments (61)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Renewal of Homeland...Hmmm.. I'd love for that announcement to come with a soon to be announced statement that S4 or at most 5 is the end of the series. I loved S1, I thought S2 (despite some suspension of belief on a number of occasions) was good as well. S3 really just got started at the end of ep.4 of a 12 ep. season. First 3.99 eps were pretty boring really.
The point of all my babbling is that I'm nervous. While I've liked this show and I think it could continue as a GOOD show, I don't have much faith in Showtime.
Showtime milked the shit out of Dexter, a show that for 4 seasons was pretty great and a show that just went downhill from there. So downhill that I'd say its final season was the worst season of television of any series that made it more than one full season..It was terrible!
Prove me wrong Showtime, but methinks you ain't in it for the artisitic advancement of the medium but in it for how many $$$$$$ you can rake in..
Flag
Master of Sex should be the new star. It could do what sex and the city did for HBO if it was marketed properly !
Flag
Cool that the Dana show aka Homeland got renewd
Flag
Can't say I really understand the renewal of Homeland. It seems a shame that the great story of the first season (which as many others have said should probably have been the last) will get lost in a mess of dragged-out sub-plots.

Season 3 has not been great, but season 2 was not either. The story clearly was not enough for the season (I'm not even sure what the story was as everything of interest was in the last few episodes.
Flag
Can't say I really understand the renewal of Homeland.

Money.

Oh, and money.

Oh, and some more money.

OH, and some MORE money.

Ars gratia argentum.
Flag
I don't see how you could possibly be so cynical about Showtime's motivations. I mean really, name me ONE Showtime drama you think was milked for money!??? LOL
Flag
It won't make money long-term for the channel if people get tired of it and change channel
Flag
"Lame"? "Hated it"? Looks like it's time for my daily post:

Shut up world, Homeland rules <3
Flag
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh, you're serious.

So sad and pathetic.
Flag
Shush. Let me be a fanboy.
Flag
Masters of sex is great! I really enjoy every episode and not for the sex part
Flag
Oh please, you're not fooling anyone. You horny bitch ;)
Flag
ROFL! Bottom line: I really enjoy the sex... I mean the show :D
Flag
Masters of Sex is a great show, and it has Lizzy Caplan. Yep, she's awesome.
Flag
It was all part of Saul's plan to get the show renewed. What we need now is a Dana Brody spinoff, which I wouldn't watch, of course, but then the Brodys (except Brody Sr.) would leave Homeland and we would stay with the part that matters.
Flag
Dana's spinoff should be on The CW :)
Flag
Well I still think Homeland is a great show. This season had a slow start, yes, but after the last episode I'm enthralled all over again. Kudos to the writers for continuing to reinvent the show.

I'm yet to watch Masters of Sex. I have all the episodes, but Sunday is such a busy night of television (Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead, Revenge, and they're all in addition to Homeland). By the time I've finished watching all those it's Tuesday, and there's a whole bunch of other shows for me to watch. I might have to start marathons my it on the weekends.
Flag
Master of sex is good !
Flag
Happy that Homeland coming back again!

Flag
I personally not care for Masters of Sex the show is just boring to watch sure its a great story to tell about. But really it's a boring story too watch people maybe watch for the random naked parts but really it's no GoT!
Flag
The only (sane)reason I can think of for spending so much time on Dana is that she is going to follow in her father footsteps. Somewhere down the line her mother and the authorities will swoop in and accuse her beloved of murder and she will go back to not wanting to live with a side of hating the authorities. And that's a mixture for a bomb vest walk into somewhere. Dana as the next terroriest bomber would work.
Flag
That was my guess as soon as we saw her trying out Islam in the season preview.
Flag
Oh, and good on Masters of Sex. I should start watching that soon.
Flag
Of course they fucking did.
I have never dropped out of a show after following it for more than one season. I might make an exception with Homeland. Unless they get rid of the entire Brody family and reboot the show with a new plot to foil each season, 24-style.
Flag
I think I'll have to start watching Master of Sex now......

Not sure where a fourth season of Homeland will take us. Does this mean that season three will have an open ending like last season? So I'm not really sure I'm happy, maybe wrapping it up would have given us what we weanted or needed.
Flag
I'm glad for both renewals, although I have more hopes for Masters of Sex at the moment. The show has no need to reinvent the wheel every season to be good. There are no major criminal minds to catch or spies or aliens or supernatural things to manage. Just classic story telling with excellent actors and a great production. Cross fingers.
Flag
I enjoy Homeland specifically because it 'reinvents the wheel', as you say, every season. It's daring, and therefore compelling, television.
Flag
Except if they run out of ideas. Then it's frustrating.
Flag
Well three seasons in, the hasn't happened yet (at least I don't think so).
Flag
Seems they only had 2/3 of a season worth of ideas this one if you consider that the first 4 eps. could have been done in less than 1 episode. 2 at the max.
Flag
I have my doubts, but I'm ready to forgive them if they end this season properly
Flag
In your face, Dana haters.
Flag
You've probably not heard the story development where Leo will kill Dana and flee to Caracas?
Flag
If only.
Flag
Ok Tim, we know you hate season 3 of Homeland (particularly Dana), so far. You don't need to remind us of that outside of your episode reviews, because your opinion isn't more valid or true than any other people's opinion. By doing this, you just come across as someone who's either arrogant or takes pleasure in trying to convince people who still like watching Homeland that it has become a lame show, IMHO. Otherwise what's the point? Move on! Peace!
Flag
Other than belaboring the point about the big reveal end of ep.4 I think Tim's reviews have been fair and mostly spot on. I did like the reveal and I did like this last episode. It does have hope, this show, but I like opinions that aren't all cake and cookies. Lay out what you think and I'll agree or disagree...It happens all the time. Believe it or not there are actually people out there that thought the last season of Dexter was good television!
Flag
Says you. He's entitled to his hate just as I am entitled to my hate.

As the genius above says: in your face. Such brilliance, don't you think?

Oh, and the past four episodes of Homeland have sucked.
Flag
A blogger giving his opinion? OH NOES! THERE'S BLOOD COMING OUT OF THE SKY! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TIM?
Flag
I am upset about Homeland 4 first episodes and I think I have been robbed in my time. Is this the right place to say it, here? No? Oops.

I think the actress that plays Dana has a brilliant career ahead if she can survive to all this hate. I don't hate her, but I don't see why Homeland should focus so much on this character, and after the big reveal of last episode, I fear we will have no good answer to that focus on Dana neither.
Flag
He's a television critique of course he takes pleasure in convincing us to believe anything he says.
Flag
Especially when he's right.

The current season blows goats.
Flag
It's not as bad as Dexter by any stretch
Flag
That's your opinion. There's no right or wrong about liking more or less a certain story/plot/character, because it's an entirely subjective matter.
Flag
No, wrong. Bad writing is not subjective, it just sucks.
Flag
HALLELUJAH! Tim gave his opinion. If you want to give your opinion too, write your own blog and write about how brilliant this season has been so far.
Flag
Why dont you guys review Masters of Sex the last two episodes have been better than Homeland's third season, and the poll shows that people are more excited by MoS.
Flag
I would also like it reviewed, it is a great show with a lot of different angles to discuss (LOL - unintentional joke). Maybe now after a few episodes more people would be participating in the comments.
Flag
I watch (and enjoy) both shows, very happy about this. Sunday's Homeland was a step in the right direction, I hope this season can get back on track after three mediocre episodes.
Flag
Did you know that Michael Sheen had what we Brits called S forms for a soccer team called Crystal Palace? That's why his volley, playing the manager Brian Clough, in that movie is so spot on. Feel free to now resume talking about sex...
Flag
Homeland for the win!!
Flag
Can't believe I'm more excited about Masters of Sex than Homeland.
Flag
I am there too.
Flag
I love love love Masters of Sex! So happy!
Flag
YAY more Homeland!
Flag
Two bad choices IMO
Flag
Masters of sex is unbelievably good. Handcrafted for perverts/sex academics such as myself.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members