A Homeland Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime
This morning I watched the season finale, just a few hours after it aired in the US. To be honest, I am a bit confused about my opinion. Being the #5 contributing member in the Homeland community (after 4 staff), one might think I'm a huge fan but I think I am not or no more. What brought me to the show was the explosive tense/suspense that was season one and the interaction between Carrie and Brody. This last episode isn't even that bad as a series finale, it had the pace for it and it closed most of the storylines that were important. Brody is no more, Carrie is off to a new part of her career, Saul is off to a new career, The CIA is going in a new direction with a new director. The only other character I care about Quinn, will probably follow her to Istanbul. I will miss Morena Baccarin, not for her role, but I have been kind off a fan since Firefly.

Everything that happened in this episode was logical and should happen, but it could have been done in twenty minutes if it were a normal higher paces Homeland episode.

What I really did not like was that so many storylines of the first half of the season weren't closed. What's with the bomber, what's with the Brody family (although I did not care) etc. etc. It obviously was just meant for the setup but it felt like cheating on us viewers, as if we are not intelligent enough to want to know. As if you have a whole episode of someone deciding to take his own life up to the moment he is standing on the bridge only to have some other character looking in that direction and from that moment only following that other character for the rest of the season.

The interaction between Carrie and Brody was pretty good when they were together, but mostly based on Damian Lewis' acting. For some reason all I can remember of Carrie of this year is her whining over something and especially over redeeming Brody.

And as a last issue, if I were the boss of my own copy shop, I would have made sure that an employee like Carrie would do some work where here madness wouldn't do any harm, like making coffee. Did you see here eyes all this season? I know it is good acting by Claire, but if it's good acting, her environment in the CIA should have seen it also. I find it so unrealistic that they promoted her again, even to be the youngest station chief of the CIA, What does that say of the rest of the organisation?

There is more, but these are the most obvious why I am so in doubt about how I feel.

As Body's gone and this felt like a series finale, they will have to invent the whole series again. Season 4 was renewed last October. I am not sure if I will watch it. What about you?

poll

And if you voted for another season, what should it be?

poll

And 'explein' should be 'explain', can't change that anymore, sorry.
69 Comments
Comments (69)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
not slow just emotional , but yes its Series Finale more than season finale .
anyway there are some missing parts , what about Brody family, & what they think about him if after he died .........anyway episode was great and very emotional , some events was not that realistic in ep 11 ,ep12 but in overall it is the best finale yet for homeland.
Flag
Just want Brody back. He's he main man.
Flag
I believe you are right... this is a good series finale... so how do you keep the show interesting now?? Back Story or "prequel" ... Brody events leading to his kidnapping before he had converted to Islam. I need more Damian Lewis... The other actors/actresses are great but really ... he was the shining star of this show. You can bring Morena Baccarin back and have Brody's departure. Show the deep relationship he actually had with Tom Walker before he forced to "Kill him". David Estes is back... all in all this is what would work for me. At the same time we can learn more about Quinn's past as a side story.
Flag
Now that would be an interesting way to go.
Flag
To me, it kind of feels similar to where Shameless is headed. Everything is a question mark now. The first 3 seasons were almost like a novel. We've finished the first novel and now we being on the second one. I'm curious to see where the show ends up, but I'm definitely disappointed that Brody is gone. It seemed right for him to go because he was never going to find peace anywhere, but I'm disappointed nonetheless. I'm not 100% positive that the show can be as good without Brody. Every episode without him irritated me. He was far too big of a piece. I don't know how well I'll enjoy the show from here on out. I suppose that depends on how well they develop Quinn, my second favorite character.
Flag
Carrie will seek Dexter's author and make them rewrite the script of the last episode!
Flag
Maybe it is time for a crossover event? I think NBC has been sitting on some pilot material, which was endorsed by James Cameron.. a show starring Andy Samberg called "Laser Cats."

On the actual topic:
Didn't you get a "feeling" of emptiness and that what should have been cause for celebration turned into a likely unnecessary death (of Brody) and a symbolic promotion (for Carrie), which likely results in Carrie being promoted beyond her best skills and dooming her to middle management (aka The Peter Principle)?

@No1Slayerette I too was not much moved by the "empty" gesture, but thought it was fitting to the situation/direction that the new CIA leadership is moving in.

Perhaps people are not rooting for this to be the end, but rather they are acknowledging that the future is unclear and perhaps "feels" like an ending to a series more than the end of an intense season and a farewell to a series original performer.
Flag
Despite Brody's death, I don't think 'The Star' should have been the series final. Other than that final scene with Carrie drawing a star for Brody on the CIA memorial, I wasn't particular moved, nor did I feel much closure, and therefore I would have been very annoyed with the episode.

A lot of people are saying that the episode was slow-paced and boring, which I don't disagree with, but what is perplexing is that these same people want this/ see this episode as a series final, which doesn't make sense. You want the series finale of Homeland to be slow-paced and boring then?
Flag
I personally didn't find it slow paced, only on those moments it needed to be. Maybe the rides lasted too long. For a series finale I would like to see some closure for most of the characters and that was what this episode gave me as they all ended something and were going in a new direction. So for me this might have been a series finale and I would have been ok with it. What will happen in the next series and who will play an important role is not really clear as there was no cliffhanger, but probabaly all will be back.
Flag
There could be 2 possibilities for Season 4 format.
They could make it a 1 terrorist per episode which is more procedural where anybody knows have longer show lifetime,
or
1 terrorist per season. Which will make it more '24'ish. Which I prefer but have the tendencies for the plot to go overboard or sucks.

Any chance that Carrie goes schizo and have Brody as his imaginary sidekick? Just kidding.

Anyway, I am hoping season 4 will blow minds and I am raising my expectations for the writers. Don't let me down.

Flag
I am on your side and hope/think they will make it into a season arc. But this time probably around an organisation and its unknown leader.

The imaginary sidekick is a really nice thought though.
Flag
Season 3 was SO very different from Season 1 - like an entirely different team of writers. It would be great if they could get back to the atmosphere/ style of that first season.

I'm picturing Season 4 with Carrie in Istanbul, her kid being taken care of by nannies & housekeepers. She uses Saul & his private sector agency for ad hoc jobs, sometimes unofficially and under the radar, when the CIA doesn't go along with her plans. Quinn, of course, is her right hand man in Istanbul, possibly even developing into a love interest. Her kid provides him with a vicarious way of making up for not being there for his own kid (as he explained briefly in the last episode).

The hanging of Brody did look pretty fake, so I'm not sure that he's totally out of the picture or will make a surprise come-back. (What are the rumors regarding his contract, anyway?) I'll miss Morena Baccarin (also loved her in Firefly and V), but am SO glad I don't have to see Morgan Saylor's idiotic facial expressions any more!

Dar Adal will certainly be back, as will Lockhart, although I don't see him lasting very long - his character was just not made juicy enough to endure, unless he takes on a minor, secondary role. Saul might just possibly get his old job back, but not until several episodes in.

More+
Flag
I certainly can see Istanbul in the way you picture it. If Sual ever will be back at the CIA, I'm not so sure. I also can do without Lockhart, he is no fun.
Flag
Get Brody back plz!!
Flag
This show has turned to a total disaster. I really don't know if I even want to waste my time on say, a disappointing season 4. I feel like I have been betrayed by the show creators, starting with a high paced, suspenseful first season, that I personally recommended to everyone I knew who'd care for a superbly characterized worthy of attention TV series, to a disappointing nothing-to-lose third season in 4 years. I'll throw everything about this show out the window, maybe I already have, just don't know it yet!!
Flag
They should have Saul become boss of CTU Los Angeles
Flag
Nice thought, but he wouldn't be able to keep up the necessary pace I'm afraid.
Flag
What pace, with Government cutbacks its only open for 12 hours now :)
Flag
Ah, that must be the reason there might be a movie and not a new series as there would be 12 empty hours.
Flag
24:Live Another Day :)
Flag
It feels like an "in between seasons" season - Most of what we saw was unrelated. And, i don't know, maybe there was a will to make this very poetically beautiful, but it didn't work for me at all. The clean slide that Brody's death brings to the show is positive. But this was a whole season to reach that. And a boring finale, if you ask me. I wonder if Mr. Damien's Lewis contract has come in between, by stating that he had to be there for 3 seasons and get 3 chances at Emmy. And that is what he got here, a chance at an Emmy. Look at all those horrible faces he had to do throughout the season. Isn't that Emmy material. But the total result? Ugg.
Flag
It's a bit of a clean slate, isn't it. Everyone is going into a new direction. A bit like TWD where everyone is scattered all over the place. I've not read the comics but as in Homeland, probably they will find each other halftime next season.
Flag
gee, I want that edit button :)
Flag

Flag
thank you! that's just perfect! :-D
Flag
that might sound strange but I do feel, there will be a theme of Brody coming back and his death was a cover story...
Flag
His spirit might still be around and maybe he'll even be honoured by Carrie, but I do believe he is now 'pushing up daisies'.
Flag
:(
at the end they are really good in keeping us waiting :)
thanks for your review
Flag
I said it before and I will say it again. I can't wait enough to watch The Amerikans. I would hate to see the Iranians didn't really kill Brody when season four starts.
This season was a real flop.
Flag
Season 4 (spoiler): j/k - I am just making it all up! ;)

Carrie, while traveling meets (at the request of someone close to her) a charismatic middle east leader of some grassroots movement (anti-terrorism or pro human rights). She tries to develop him as an asset and the entire time we suspect that he is working her instead. She has the relationship, because her asset brought them together and he will only work with her.

Saul, while working in New York, becomes aware of an intended plot to destroy the Statue of Liberty. It is a lame plot, which is easily foiled. However, using a current (controversial) technique, Homeland security uses the plot scenario to recruit potential terrorists within the United States to finance the already prevented plot. During the recruitment process, Saul will come in contact with some potentially scary people. Due to some individual work on his own he concludes that some within Homeland security would have liked to have seen the plot publicized (and/or succeed) as the symbolic value would gain 911-esque sympathy for the United States.

Quinn, takes a leave from the agency as part of an off-book operation run by Dar Adal (F Murray Abraham). The Agency is moving in the wrong direction and Dar Adal is attempting to take covert corrective action. Adal has joined/created an agency-within-the-agency, which prefers the "old-school" methodology to be used with technology as support. The current direction of the CIA is all-drones, all-the-time; spying on ordinary people with tenuous at best justifications. Drone strikes against both foreign and US citizens (suspected of wrong-doing).

The Blend:
Carrie's assets are partially developed and often killed in drone strikes. She suspects that the CIA is using her information to create a backup of easy targets (known locations, etc.) to create victories for the agency, which is still dogged by it's not-too-distant failures.

The plot involving her new asset (the leader) will overlap with Saul and converge with Quinn. They will coordinate individualized plans and help each other as best they can within their obvious limits (private-sector, covert/secret and ultra-secret requirements).

The Statue of Liberty will ALWAYS be the plot focus in terms of "the event," but the "false flag," abuse of power (drones), and dysfunctional CIA will keep the twists flowing.

The ultra-secret organization will try to use the same after-the-fact recruiting techniques centered around the Statue of Liberty plot to entrap Homeland security personnel in a "false flag" sting operation.

While all of this is going on... a real attack succeeds on some important, yet not crippling fashion to setup the following season to resolve the actual plot and set right the course of the CIA.

Additional Items:
Notice how the main characters can be supported and we learn about the character/motivations of central characters in the way they interact with supporting characters...
1. Carrie finds a way to give a star or something to Brody's daughter to create closure for a child who comes to realize that she stopped her father from carrying out the original plot and that he gave his life as redemption. She will want to live her life in some way to honor the truth of his memory.
2. Carrie's child is raised by her father and sister, but it's her sister that does all of the work. The father is trying, but the stress is hurting his health. To generate more income, the sister takes a promotion in New York, which locates her in the midst of the plot and gives Carrie a base of operations while in New York (multi-tasking+).
3. Saul's wife is now a charity organizer and spends her and Saul's money on a lavish lifestyle, which they can now afford, but Saul doesn't really enjoy. Nobody knows how important he is and/or was before joining the security firm. He is considered a man of mystery and he enjoys interjecting stories that further the mystery of his person. This is obviously part of marketing for his business and though he is GREAT at it, he actually despises it.
4. Brody's wife works for Saul's wife. She has an important position and yet still suffers from insults and discrimination. Saul's wife knows the truth about Brody and though she doesn't cross the line as did Carrie in informing Brody's family, she does create a meaningful and well-paid career for Brody's wife. The children are able to attend top universities (through connections) and they are on a good path.
5. Fara Sherazi, quits the Agency and works for Saul. She felt betrayed by the CIA primarily for the greater risks her uncle endured during the Brody operation. She is Saul's right hand and has started to show similar insight/traits as Claire in developing assets in the field. She is promoted through merit and not loyalty to Saul. He enjoys both her devotion to duty and her personal commitment to him as someone in the intelligence community she can trust. This will always be a purely professional relationship and extremely productive as well. Saul's wife will become jealous from time to time, but it spices their marriage as she knows that Saul is an honorable man.

ULTIMATELY: The next two-to-three season arch vindicates Saul and his vision for the CIA. When it's all said and done... Saul is the director, scandals are prevented and a new POTUS sees the vision. Carrie will be promoted beyond her level of effectiveness (Peter-Principle) and will eventually go back to being in the field. Fara Sherazi eventually becomes Carrie's rival in the field, but it is a healthy rivalry and an all-too-welcome wake up call for Carrie to lead us into the next adventure. :)
More+
Flag
Loved reading it! I especially found the fact that the CIA uses Carrie's assets for drones trikes a nice touch.
Flag
thanks. I liked the idea that she would be the one doing all of the work and they "swoop in" so-to-speak and claim the credit. It also implies a counter-intuitive effect that assets lead to understanding and avoiding conflict, whereas strikes create a short-term benefit and a long-term risk of actually increasing the threats of terrorism against the West.

I am glad you enjoyed reading it. I enjoyed writing it. :)
Flag
I may be a sap, but I suspect that Javadi staged the hanging and Brody is not dead. The noose was not placed correctly for someone to be hanged successfully. My guess is that Javadi has Brody and will use him to thwart the hold the CIA has over him.
Flag
That would be stretching out the Brody story even longer and I feel it would make it not believable anymore. Brody also had no place to go anymore, as he stated himself, so he is of not good to anyone (except maybe Carrie, but the only thing he does for her is maker her more crazy).
Flag
As his handler, Carrie's hold on Javadi would falter if she knew he had Brody.
Flag
I understand where you're going, just hope it isn't so as what could be the outcome fro Brody in season 4? Another death or where would he go if Carrie could set him free? Nowhere, so no goal for him at all in the series and I believe the writers also saw this and decided he should go.
Flag
Istanbul is a wonderful city in which to hide...this could give them the chance to finally be together (yes, I am a sap). I visited Istanbul 25 years ago, and it was enormous and confusing then...despite being there for 10 days, I could not learn my way around the city! I cannot imagine what 25 years of development and population increase has done to a city that size! Carrie and Brody could live together in plain sight...if she can get him there!
Flag
I thought exactly the same thing: in one way or another Jevadi manages it to Brody does not die hanged, both because he is not really hanging, or because the body is not really Brody's body. If season 4 it doesn't resolved starting with that plot, then it is the end of the series.
Flag
shouldn't it be season 3 finale?
Flag
Oops yeah, thank you for pointing it out. It's probably part of my confusion. Correxcted now.
Flag
What brought me to the show was the explosive tense/suspense that was season one and the interaction between Carrie and Brody

Actually that is what brought me to the show for season 1 too. I did not intend to like a show about Homeland security but what you stated about season 1 reel me in.

There is hope though that with this finale, Homeland 2.0 can start with new stories and new tension between Carrie and another character.

If Brody were to live, then we will get the same old same old. The character of Brody have nowhere else to go. Either he dies or run to some other galaxy with Carrie but that cannot happen because we still need Carrie to continue the show so Brody needed to die.

The best way is actually to bring Damien Lewis back as another character to tussle with Carrie again as he is great. He should be able to portray the new character well too. I know it does not happened much in American TV but it happens often in Asian shows.
Flag
I am not familiar with Asian shows at all, but sometimes in European shows characters get back as their twin. I don't think they will do something like that in the US. I am curious why the Asian people accept it.

The Brody character, as you say, was completely used and had nowhere to go. This is unlucky for us as we liked the acting of Damian Lewis and the interaction with Claire Danes so much.

I think we are all curious what Homeland 2.0 will bring us, so I'll probably watch episode one. But there is so much competition it will have to be good.
Flag
Asian market have lesser competition compare to the hundreds of TV stations in US. Asian shows are also more celebrity based so the fans will watch because of a few good actors and stars in the show. Thus good ratings will result from there. Twins are common too. I am familiar because I been staying in Asia for the most part of last 10 years.

If we can accept no one recognize Oliver to be the hood or arrow then surely we can accept Damien Lewis as another character in the show.
Flag
But only if he changes his voice :-)
Flag
With Brody gone, the story going forward has to revolve around Carrie. Otherwise, what was the point of the first three seasons? It's like the series is trying to reinvent itself into Homeland 2.0. When Season 4 begins, hopefully Carrie will have had her child and we will know her decision. Other than that, I really don't know.

I was really confused after watching Episode 12 this weekend. I don't know if the confusion was based on how the season turned out or what my expectations were. Either way, I don't know what to think. Based on my incoherent ramblings here I guess I'm sill confused.

Maybe the creators of Homeland always intended it to be broken down into three season story arcs with Carrie Matheson as the main protagonist. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But they could of done a much better job cleaning up some plot lines before moving forward.
Flag
As you read, my first reaction was also confusion. I wrote the post half an hour after In watched the episode. It's twelve hours later now and I still have no clue where they will be going. It's always been about the Carrie - Brody relationship and that is no more. For me, the first three seasons have been closed and anything that follows will feel like a spin off (in some way).
Flag
There is so much anger on the main post, as well. I am not going to not think about it anymore, it's just too frustrating.
Flag
I do not see it as anger, more that some are a bit frustrated, so I'm still thinking. But I also see a lot of people who liked it. And then we have this one 'her' who writes so many negative posts one wonders how her normal life is.
Flag
Nope, but she does Dexter next to Homeland. Just see who has the most comments on either shows. Although I try not to have any unkind comment, I got flamed by her. But, she does have followers as she burnes these series to the ground and obviously there are people who like that.
Flag
I think I know who you mean. Do they show up on the POI posts as well?
Flag
i voted other and i'm not sure about it, but i could imagine a season starting off with episodes within episodes about all the main characters being on their own at first (saul, carrie, quinn being the most important) and doing their thing. then it becomes more and more clear that all of the separated storylines have something in common or are all going in the same direction, just to culminate in a multiple episodes lasting series finale with the evil guy being javadi or lockhart (or dar being exposed as javadi's accomplice).

i don't have an example for a plot development like this but i guess this happens in movies quite often.

any thoughts on that idea?
Flag
I do agree with you that this might be the most probable way for season four as it will give everyone a good share. I am not convinced I will like it as Homeland until now got its power from the interaction between Carrie and Brody. Even if he wasn't there, his influence was visible. If they do it as you suggest, the separate characters will need to be strong enough to carry the action and I do hope Carrie (pun intended) will be up to that.
Flag
uh how nice to get back here after a long month just to see your comment featured in an important post :) thanks and yeah, let's be hopeful for season 4!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members