A Homeland Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime

Homeland S03E06: "Still Positive"

Among the fraternity of television critics, of which I am a mere pledge washing their underwear with my toothbrush, advanced screeners are a blessing and a curse. Hooray! We get to see stuff early! But boo! We often don't have anyone to talk about it with. All we can do is speak cryptically of what we've seen, and on Friday, an unspecific message was tweeted by a critic at another website, announcing that "this week's Homeland features the silliest thing the series has ever done" (or something to that effect). For a show that once assassinated a vice president by way of a hacked pacemaker, had Brody murder a man while on the phone with his wife, and focused so much of its energy on Dana Brody doing anything, this was a bold statement. Naturally, I was SUPER excited for "Still Positive." 

As I watched the episode, I found myself saying, "Oh, that was the silly thing that critic was talking about!" several times. Oh, Saul knew Javadi all along and used to have breakfast with him? That's silly! Oh, Carrie's undercover plan lasted only about five minutes? That's silly! Oh, Carrie has a drawer full of positive pregnancy tests? That is REALLY silly! Oh, Dana decided to move out of the house and Jess allowed it? That is REALLY silly, too! Given how badly Season 3 began, a drawer full of peed-on sticks and a teenager who recently took a joyride with a murderer deciding to move out were not what the series needed. Sorry to be blunt, but this show kinda sucks now.

Saul and Carrie's frustrating and deceptive plan to get Carrie ingratiated with Javadi's crew is over. Already! After five episodes of spy-burning, psych-ward-committing, and front-and-back nude-scanning, Carrie made herself as a plant in the first second that she and Javadi were alone. I was not expecting that! But I didn't want that, either! I don't want to call the situation a total rip-off, because Saul and Carrie caught their man and the plan worked, but dammit, I was looking forward to seeing Carrie play this game for a little longer. For as slow as the arduous first act of Homeland's third season was, the second act appears to be zipping right along. Methinks that pacing should have been reversed.

All those terribly exciting paper trails Fara'd been following made themselves useful as Carie essentially waved a bunch of shady bank statements in Javadi's face and threatened to expose his embezzlements unless he cooperated with her. But "Follow the money!" may as well mean "Change the channel!" because this the type of plot device that can be written in any way to build leverage against bad guys. Admit it, our eyes all glazed over when Fara and Saul first started talking about Venezuelan bank accounts and fake identities, yet now that's being used as the big "gotcha!" to snare an evil terrorist. 

And evil he is! Not only is Javadi a selfish coward who puts himself ahead of his country (with his track record of flip-flops, who would trust him in the role of second in command of Iran's Intelligence Directorate?), he also holds grudges like Dana holds a sad face! Knowing he was in trouble, he agreed to meet with Saul—but first he took a little detour to visit his ex-wife. He shot his ex-wife's daughter-in-law in the forehead and then stabbed his ex-wife in the neck with a broken bottleneck. Point made, exclamation mark included. This dude is a bad guy! Why'd they stop him at just that? Why not stuff the baby down the garbage disposal, too, Javadi? Anyway, Peter and Carrie captured him and brought him back to Saul, at which point Old Beardy gave Javadi a well-deserved sock in the mouth. 

Annnnnnnyway, apparently Carrie catches sperm in her vagina as well as she catches terrorists, cuz girl is expecting! She peed on a stick and the plus sign came up, and then she put that positive test in a drawer full of something like 50 already used positive pregnancy tests. How does a woman who doesn't even take her shirt off for sex get pregnant? I don't know what's more shocking: that she's pregnant or that she keeps all of her used pregnancy tests in a drawer. Those are covered with pee, Carrie! And things that are covered with pee are gross and should be thrown away. At least that's how it works in my house. 

Hygiene and self-respect aside, let's work backwards and play Montel to figure out who the father is. We know that Carrie has had sex with two people: Nick Brody and Faux-dy the Championship Mountain Biker. Carrie last felt the ecstasy of Brody's pasty lovemaking over two months ago, before she sent him off at the end of Season 2. Faux-dy and Carrie totally did it what, a few weeks ago? That means unless Carrie is taking pregnancy tests every 15 minutes, this little bastard is Brody's. Is this the silliest thing Homeland has done? Probably! Now Homeland is taking the once-forbidden romance of Carrie and Brody and turning it into soapy garbage about a deadbeat dad who's addicted to heroin in Caracas and the hard-working single mom who's busy saving the world. This is a terrible development for a show that wants to be taken seriously. 

Speaking of silly developments, it's Dana time! How about Jessica's parenting discipline? After Dana stole mom's car and sold it so she could run off with a teenage murderer she met in rehab, Jess rewarded her by letting the little lady change her name. Even Dana Brody didn't want to be Dana Brody anymore, and she paid the $40 to change her name to Dana Lazaro and the entire family seemed thrilled about Dana trying to distance herself. "Dana Lazaro, sounds pretty cool," said Chris, in his character's most astute observation of the series to date.   

But that wouldn't be Dana's biggest move of the episode. Without warning, Dana decided to move out of the house and shack up with her friend. And Jess shed a tear and let her go. "Mom, I can't live this life anymore," Dana said. "I just can't. I mean, it nearly killed me. I've got to leave." YOU nearly killed yourself, Dana. It's almost unfathomable how irritating Dana has been lately; it's downright shocking that Homeland continues to find ways to make her even more of a dunce. Yet there she was, moving out without warning, and worst of all, Jess let it happen. How terrible of a parent is she? Instead of crying, she should have screamed or at least put up some protest about Dana moving out. But no, she handed her daughter a $300 gift card. The whole thing was so monumentally unbelievable and stupid; what self-respecting parent would let her teenage daughter—who obviously needs help—suddenly move out of the house after an attempted suicide, a stint in rehab, and grand theft auto? Jess, you are a horrible mother. 

Someone call in a S.W.A.T. team to save Homeland, because this show is has been abducted by awfulness. It's been said before but I'll say it again: The drop in quality is especially noticeable because Homeland used to be so good. Now Carrie is pregnant with Brody's lovechild and Dana continues to be Dana. Homeland used to walk a delicate line between between intrigue and melodrama, but now it's just stumbling. 

WACKO SCRIBBLINGS FROM CARRIE'S "I HEART BRODY" DIARY

– Did I sense a little "How YOU doin'?" from Max toward Fara?

– Saul and Mira need to just end it. They're both terrible for each other. Saul can't give her any time, and Mira can't wait for Saul. Mira shouldn't've come back. They're both acting like children. Run off and eat baguettes with that French guy, Mira.

– The Brody Board in Carrie's living room takes on new meaning now. It's a "Where's my baby daddy?" board instead of something to help acquit Brody of the murder of 200 CIA agents. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/20/2015

Season 5 : Episode 12

254 Comments
Comments (254)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
For some inexplicable reason, I have not given up on this show yet. It's slowly reaching a "Revenge" moment for me though...if they introduce the League of Assassins or some strange Dr. No like entity I'm out. And someone please kill Dana or at least call someone on Jess...this is a terrible storyline and she's a horrible mother. This reminds me of the cougar in the woods storyline with Jack's daughter on 24...wait, these might be the same writers. Uggh! Someone please fix this show! Since Dexter has left, everything has gone to hell on Showtime...as a matter of fact, someone write Dexter into the Homeland story! Time for him to stumble upon Dana.
Flag
Patience is needed with this series of Homeland – all the clues are there for a massive finale.
Eventually it will be revealed that Dana is in fact the real Abu Nazir and she has masterminded everything right up to the point of Carrie’s pregnancy. Carrie is in fact carrying a nuclear bomb disguised as a baby shark, hence the reason nobody at the hospital realized she was pregnant. Dana/Nazir implanted Brody with the detonator [knowing Carrie will fall for him] while hypnotizing him with her whining, a whine which is in fact, a series of audio dispersions that can make anybody do anything she chooses. Now that Carrie is carrying the nuclear shark she’ll take the package to an unwitting President. As Brody get’s higher and higher on drugs, he will suddenly remember that he never actually had a daughter and he was being played all the time. They’ll be six episodes of Brody building a telephone out of foil, syringes and refried beans intercut with Dana/Nazir wistfully looking out of a plane window while she flies to Iran. Finally Brody manages to get the refried bean phone to work, calls Carrie as she is just about to meet the US President but to no avail. Carrie thinks he’s high and starts crying because her shark baby bomb needs a daddy, hangs up and explodes inside the White House. The surviving cast members break into song and the last episode is a musical number with everybody jumping over sharks and singing along to
“Shark jumping in the CIA oh whadda, oh whadda oh whadda wondeeeeeerful day!”
More+
Flag
LMFAO! Loved this! Sign this person up, time to start writing some Homeland!
Flag
The point of the plan wasn't to get Carrie to act as a double agent. It was to lure Javadi out and use HIM as a double agent, or at least interrogate him (Saul said it clearly to Mira) and get valuable information about Iranian ops in the US.
So I don't see the problem in Carrie blowing her cover the second she was alone with Javadi, because that was de plan all along. To let him now that they knew about his treason, and now use him.

All the rest, I agree it's silly.

Flag
And the random Brody epsiode STILL isn't relevant. They really should've either put it as E1 OR just before he gets included in the plot OR as a flashback episode after he gets integrated.
Flag
"Run off and eat baguettes with that French guy, Mira." Tim is too funny
Flag
Chris should've smacked her and told her to quit being such a diva. Dana is the worst character ever.
Flag
It would've been awesome if the n̶e̶w̶ ̶A̶b̶u̶ ̶N̶a̶z̶i̶r̶ Javadi plot ended up with him doing the same thing with the bottle to Dana.
Flag
I can't believe they spent 3.5 episodes convincing Javadi's organisation that Carrie was a CIA outcast who had a vendetta or axe to grind ... and then only allow roughly 10 minutes of an interview before she reveals that it was all a trap!?!

I mean come on Homeland, are we serious?

Flag
Sadly, the writers are.

The audience (well, some of us) know better.
Flag
"Did I sense a little "How YOU doin'?" from Max toward Fara?" YES, absolutely!

– "Saul and Mira need to just end it. They're both terrible for each other. Saul can't give her any time, and Mira can't wait for Saul. Mira shouldn't've come back. They're both acting like children. Run off and eat baguettes with that French guy, Mira." Also yes.
– "The Brody Board in Carrie's living room takes on new meaning now. It's a "Where's my baby daddy?" board instead of something to help acquit Brody of the murder of 200 CIA agents."LOL!

Flag
Damian Lewis was the show. Homeland was mostly about the life of Brody. It can't continue without Brody. I will grudgingly watch this till their paths cross again, as we all know they will.
Flag
How can Chris be so relaxed about it all? His dad is a national enemy, his sister just tried to kill herself, his mom is developing a slow stroke... The show should not pay this kid to just say Dana Lazaro is cool when there are so much more interesting things he could've been doing
Flag
How is Dana not in jail?
Flag
Hilarious post from another site, re the asshattery nuthouse not doing blood tests:

Pregnancy tests are routinely done so patients don't give birth to flipper babies down the line.
Flag
So all the Dana scenes were very possibly for nothing? That is sooo bad. I feel bad for the actors. Check for exit clauses on your contracts!
Flag
My people are angry.
Yet lets look at this from the producers viewpoint. The first season of a show is kinda like a presidential primary, the show does everything it can to appeal to its fan base so as to get renewed for season 2 (win the primary).
Next season it goes for 'breakout' that is the really good fan buzz (plus emmys) has the media plus Joe/Joan Average tuning in for season 2 to see what the fuss was all about.
No point in sticking with the weird and demanding premises 'n promises made to the activists/fans, that sort of esoteric shit won't cut it for the unquestioning wage slaves who turn on the google box straight after dinner and like to doze off to simple, straightforward, safe and familiar plots.
If the viewers have to think too hard during the show they are too exhausted to absorb tthe really important stuff, that is the spruiks for the latest useless piece of consumerist crap slotted in between the chunks of soap interspersed with tame sex, dog-whistle xenophobia and mindless violence that the show has descended into.

But let's consider the elephant in the drawing room, the big unanswered question that has had the bulk of season three Homeland viewers scratching their pale, hairy and all too flabby bellies in dismay & consternation.

Why haven't we seen a decent car chase in Homeland this season? That is the big season three conundrum, the one issue which I and every decent god fearing Homeland viewer needs answered. Bugger this esoteric stuff about which mob of ragheads hates america because they believe america took its oil without giving democracy in return. Everyone knows america is always right so why even debate that shit; get back to who is up who, which 'billionaire nazi sheik' (sic) is paying the rent while raping & glassing good american girls between proper car chases.

These GPS tracker driven, covert tail sequences are lame, lame, lame. No rollovers, no somersaulting pedestrians or puzzled & angry highway patrol persons, worst of all collisions are low speed - total non events.

What sort of a mainstream show that claims to be about criminaly violent terrorists doesn't have at least one good car chase per episode?

It would be so easy to do.

Instead of walking up to a 'perp' double agent terrorist bombmaker, Carrie just needs to shout "stay right where you are, you creepy atheistic Perp Double Agent BombMaker Terrorist (PDABMT)" when she is still 50 yards away from him.
The PDABMT growls "At last my nemisis, you'll never catch me copper" winks at his henchmen, and jumps into the taupe Lamborghini parked ever so nonchalantly just inside the camera view.

PDABMT plants boot, wheel spinning and tail twitching up the highway.
Instantly Carrie jumps into her own hand-made custom english sportscar that loyal retainer Virgil, (showing his usual impeccable foresight) had leapt out of right after bringing it to a screeching halt, its the roofline just short of Carrie's kneecaps.
Right then Max steps into camera shot (natch he has been standing in his normal position just outta camera for the entire show until this point) to tell Carrie that not only had a brand new universal smokegrinder been fitted to the fuel injection, a satellite feed has been fitted to el Hassim PDABMT's effete & unmanly european (possibly french - quelle alors shock horreur) pansy car, typically leaving the question of why they didn't simply rip out the spark plug leads or some other such vehicle mechanic 101 strategem unanswered.
Meanwhile the audience, brings its rather limited intellectual capacity to bear on four wheel drifts, pieces of plastic falling off the crappily built imports, and near misses with babby carriages chocka full of attractive tousle-headed quintuplets, all to the sound of over revved jap sewing machines.

That is what most peeps wanna see, not some over-wrought drama full of obscure references to the shithole where their sister-in-law's second cousin died a hero shooting up a village full of 12 year old terrorists. What sort of TV show abounds with questionable moral choices plus insinuations america may not be the bestest, kindest and most democratic nation in the whole damn universe?

A piss weak one, that's what.

The primary is over and the main game has begun.
More+
Flag
The more episodes without Brody, the deeper the hole this show is digging for itself.

This season has been disappointing
Flag
Sorry Tim, now it is you who's lost.
a) Maybe not "solid parenting", but the emotionally right decision by Jess to let Dana go. Beautifully setup by Dana letting go of that Leo creep, showing independent thinking despite of adolescent emotions.
b) Carrie and her hygienic issues maybe engrossing but I am looking forward to a deeper and more complex character after all of what she has been going through.
c) You were right about the first 4 episodes, everybody hates being lied to (except those masochistic fans of The Usual Suspects). But getting rid of that burned storyline FAST was the right decision. What is now developing between Javadi and Saul could be much more interesting than that used double-agent device.

To sum up: your reviews are interesting, as long as you keep yourself out of them. Your commitment to the double-agent storyline was to fast and obviously to personal. Your attitude towards parenting adds nothing to this review but compromises your objectivity and your reputation of caring more for the emotionally plausible than for the morally right.

Flag
Oh darn, I guess Tim should hand over the reviewing crown to you. Get over yourself.
Flag
So Dana has been committed, broken into her old asylum to have sex in a laundry room, broken her laundry room F-buddy out while stealing her mom's car, sold her mom's car, and moved out with no fight from her mother? Has Inara never heard of grounding a child? Because Dana needs to be smacked senseless.
Flag
WHEW. I just knew I wanted to smack Dana senseless. Now I know there's a good reason.
Flag
Yes, that's probably a great way to treat your daughter after she tried to kill herself. Maybe you should write a parenting book or something.
Flag
I think it's best to look at it as Absurd Theatre
It sure seems like it.
Flag
Well….I still look forward to Sunday evenings, hoping against hope that something or someone will save the plot. Two things that riled me - were those 50-odd positive peed on tests discarded in a drawer….uggg (WAIT - is she gonna frame them for Brody to see when/if he get’s back?)…..and the totally unnecessary blood-bath in suburbia.
The best was Dana leaving home and please dear, don’t come back too soon? AND Saul’s crack in the kisser to Javadi was wonderful. Seeing that skinny little weasel on his arse with a bloody nose was marvelous darling…..maaaarvelous.
I just feel sad that such wonderful actors such as Mandy, Claire and Rupert were wasted in this but had to somehow go with the flow…..are they agreeing with all these plot-lines I’m wondering?
Flag
True on the unnecessary violence, but then it was man on women and the writers are male and figure the 18-49 demographic out there would love it.

True on Dana being eaten in the woods by wolves.

Yes, isn't it sad that Patinkin and Danes are now wasted in this show - shades of Hall and Carpenter.

Unless Danes is producer in name only, she is agreeing to this crap.
Flag
Next week on Homeland....

Dana Brody...goes to the post office, to mail a letter...but she has no stamps, and the stamp machine is broken. She's already waited on line...does she get back in line and wait again?!?!!? Or does she cut to the front of the line and risk angering the other patrons??

HOMELAND

Flag
Hah.....all the while scrunching up her non-actor face and diddling with her sleeves.
Flag
Agreed Tim. This show is now trash beyond reconciliation...Here are my humble questions:

-What was the point of the first few episodes this season?
-Why is Brody such a non-factor? Isn't he, I dunno, the second f'n lead?!?!!?
-Have we spent even 1 significant moment with Dana Brody thsi entire season??? I mean, who in their right mind would think her story (this week) was interesting in the slightest?? What is going on here??!?!!?
-Isn't this show about terrorism?
Flag
Why is Brody such a non-factor? Isn't he, I dunno, the second f'n lead?!?!!?

Quite true.

Perhaps TITB (the idiots that be) think we the audience are waiting with baited breath for his return. Then again, we ARE putting up with the shite that is the season so far, so perhaps TITB are right.

What is going on here??!?!!?

Ahem, girlfriend of one of the males in charge, perhaps?

Isn't this show about terrorism?

Not anymore.
Flag
As mentioned by a poster below, Damian Lewis is absent for most of the season.

WHY???????????????
Flag
Because his character never should have survived season 2 but the execs didn't have the stones to kill off a twice nominated and one time Emmy winner and told the writers to keep him.
Flag
The problem here isn't that he's still on the show. It's that they're not using him, or at least not using him well. It would certainly have been more interesting to see him on the run than to see Dana on that road trip.
Flag
Can't seem to reply to your most recent post...

I think that sorta reaffirms the notion that Brody should never have survived season 2. And if the execs kept their noses out of the creative process, he probably wouldn't have.
Flag
They can't use him, now or ever. He's a known terrorist who's additionally suspected in the blowing up of the CIA. Perhaps once upon a time there existed the possibility of him having a life, but those days are long gone. His best case scenario is life without parole (if any actual charges need be laid) spent in a federal prison.

I could personally care less what he's doing in Venezuela and am already cringing at the idea of a contrived "reunion" with Carrie and/or other main members of the cast.

I love me some Damien Lewis and even more when he's face to face with Claire Daines...but Brody's time has come. And gone. And come back. And gone again.
Flag
I would agree that his time on the show is coming to an end, since he's no longer a terrorist suspect, can't be used as a double agent, and has no chance of ever getting elected for something political. But this is a reason to not include him in season 4. It's not a reason to pretend that he's not a key part of the story in season 3. As I said in the long post I just posted in response to Cory's review of this week's episode:

"He's alive, the main character is in love with him, and he's falsely accused of being the world's worst terrorist. Those things make him an essential part of the story whether we see him or not. "

I don't think that they can put him in prison if they can prove that someone else did the CIA bombing, and Saul is willing to testify about the deal they made with him. But what's he going to do on the show. Be Carrie's stay-at-home husband while she does consulting work for the CIA? I can't think of a better option than to just write him out of the show once Carrie has cleared him of the CIA bombing.

More +
Flag
SO TRUE!
Flag
Mind bottling!!!
Flag
Because the writer's all had strokes and are still typing.
Flag
Even though I usually am a patient guy with shows that showed lots of guts and potential - and have taken a turn for a quite bumpy road with not a lot of sightseeing - I must say that it's getting harder and harder to like HOMELAND still.
The soap-opera factor is taking over what used to be an intelligence (pun intended!) mystery with breathtaking twists and turns (and still rather believable characters and motivations - mainly in season 1). And I am at this point not sure if this can be saved from nonsensical and dull oblivion.
While Saul is a strong character and has a lot of potential in regards to his connecting strings, his puppeteer persona, the previous seasons had lived from the tension between Brody and Carrie. - With this suddenly gone, it is revealed that most other elements of this show are falling apart without this "glue".
For the sake of the great actors and for my remaining admiration for what once was with HOMELAND, I truly hope that the writers and producers will find a way to resolve this wobbly and mainly disappointing season into something that again makes my skin tingle and my eyes open wide with excitement and suspence.
Fingers crossed!
More+
Flag
I'm not holding my breath...
Flag
I had a feeling she would get pregnant but I thought maybe it would be Brody's baby. I am thinking now it could be the guy she asked if she could stay over when she was being followed and had no where to sleep a couple of episodes ago.

Gotta love Saul. Oh man that was an awesome hit. Well deserved too!!!
Poor baby being left alone having his mother and grandmother killed :(
Flag
STOP IT, Homeland. STAHP.
Flag
You have to give Homeland at least some credit for having the balls to pretty much write out the co-star of the series Damian Lewis for this season when most network television shows would find some contrived way to keep his character front and centre week to week.

Still it's clear the writers are struggling to come up with good and fresh ideas.

Flag
ok at this point i realize i'm enjoying less each episode just by reading this reviews, sorry Tim i'll stop reading you. (By the way, i do think 2nd season was better by this far, but this season doesn't suck either)
Flag
It sucks bad...Not Tim's fault
Flag
You're right; only his awful reviews are definitely his fault.
Flag
I find Surrette sucks the enjoyment out of every show he reviews - a bit like a tv vampire. I can only assume that's what he's employed for, as it's certainly not for concise and evenhanded reviews.....
Flag
Yeah, right.
Flag
Ditto to every thing you said Tim...I think this season will be the last nail in the coffin for a once awesome show. Which makes me sad...but there is one bright spot, maybe..just maybe..we will see less Dana....one can only dream...
Flag
This was really promising... :) Why you say??? Dana is gone (Fingers crossed) !!! Had enough of her...
Flag
Nah..........Dana and Brody meet in the woods. She diddles her sleeves, she scrunches her face, she whines, Brody slaps her senseless.

Oooops, never mind, wishful thinking on the last.
Flag
Everybody will know whose baby it is when it's born Muslim.
Flag
And stuttering from all the drugs and EST.
Flag
I blame Dana for 9-11. Seriously, though, this review made me laugh and I really enjoyed it, and some of the silliness is why I love the show.
Flag
That was the plan ? I realy hope they have something big for the fans becuase I don't get it.

And I think Peter feels something for Carrie.
Flag
err... don't pych wards in the 'states run tests on their inmates? Because some medication can really mess up unborn children...
Flag
That actually varies. Not all run those type of tests.
Flag
The U.S., yes. But not the ones in Showtime Land. Remember, this is the Showtime whose Dexter police force was chockablock with the biggest idiots in the history of police work.

Not to worry, le bebe will be just fine. This isn't British television we're talking about, this is the same country fixated on the rich animal killers in Duck Dynasty.
Flag
I know what you mean, but strictly speaking, Carrie should have been able to get pregnant even if she didn't take her shirt off.
Flag
Tim hasn't learned about the brids and the bees. He just gets off reading his own reviews.
Flag
You mean you can get pregnant if your boobs are covered?! Mind. Blown.
Flag
Are there any Homeland fans still alive out there? Anyone? I've said it before, I will keep watching this season till the end and I will most likely watch the next season as well. I choose to have faith in Homeland (even though I could care less for the Dana plot-lines, her leaving the house better end up at some terrorist camp for teens). If you don't like it, stop watching and save yourself the disappointment.
Flag
Sorry, can't resist. Stating that you "could care less" implies that you must care at least a little. What you mean to say is you "couldn't care less." I'm OK with ize instead of ise, and I'm OK with o's instead of ou's, but "I could care less" just doesn't make any sense.

With that out of the way, I partly agree with you. I watched Dexter to the end because I had invested a lot of time into it, I stopped enjoying after season 4 but stuck it out. In the end I regretted watching the rest. If Homeland doesn't pick itself up next season, I will be ditching it.
Flag
The could & couldn't issue might be a language barrier/grammar issue since english is not my native language…
Flag
Why should I? I now love to hate this show. It's my new Dexter.
Flag
If i leave this show, i leave for **Dana Broddddddddy.**
Flag
For the most part a decent episode and I actually enjoyed the whole Javadi f-up operation even if the death-by-bottle moment was ugh... That was brutal + the toddler crying in the background throughout... I thought it was an incredibly tough scene, 'beautifully' shot and acted in my opinion... The whole of Saul's team was naturally shell-shocked and Quinn said it all when he stated "this is just the beginning". F-ing Javadi... Everyone wants to kill him, shame he is such a bit asset though he's so untrustworthy and slippery not sure what they'll get out of him...
Douche-Senator + Dar Adal met and they seem to want to go all hawkish and presumably against Saul's intelligence-based approach which will just make the whole Javadi mission even more nightmarish...
I can't say I am thrilled about a Carrie-is-pregnant plot but she's been having alcohol-fuelled one-night stands since Season1 (+ meds which tend to interfere with the pill/shot effectiveness) so a surprise pregnancy is not completely implausible...
To me the silliest scene was Dana leaving the house out of the blue and without explaining where she is going to live or with whom (nobody seems to know who Angela is) or what her plan is and mum just gave her a $300 gift card. WTF of a scene was that?
More+
Flag
Does this mean we won't see Dana anymore? Yeah, probably not. Oh, well...
Flag
I would keep quiet if there was even a tiny bit of positivity for Homeland around here... but there isn't. There's just me. So I have to post that I genuinely loved this episode (and not just for the Javadi business which was so good, don't lie).
Flag
Homeland and a baby??? What would Carrie they do with a baby? Who comes up with that stuff?
What are the real story prospects of that? Exactly one: She is not going to have it. Either by accident, by trauma, by abortion or the like. What would a show like Homeland and a character like Carrie, who can barely take care of herself, do with a baby? And it would have to be around for as long as Homeland runs....because what show would kill a "living" baby?? (No, I don't want to discuss when a baby starts beeing alive!) Not even Dexter dared that ;)
And we all don't want another side-storyline like with the Brodys.......

They should have gotten rid of the whole Brody family arc after season 1. It feels just like an apendix: no use and once inflamed you risk severe consequences if you don't take it out. In no way whatsoever does it move the story foreward. It was OK in S01 because it gave Brody something to come home to and a backdrop infront of which his story played out. But now, as in S02, it is just unconnected, uninteresting and unnescesarry.

I guess the writers should take a page out of Shonda Rhimes book and learn how to get rid of characters on a show :D
More+
Flag
I loved your post. You explained the way I feel about the "Homeland and a baby" storyline. I laughed so hard I had to stop and read each sentence minutes apart of each other. Thanks for the humor because I have felt like crying with disappointment because of the silliness of the show.
Flag

According to some comments further down, the whole baby thing might be a false positive because of some pills she had to take in the loony-bin. That at least would be a plausible Homland-storyline.
But who except for a few medical professionals was supposed get that? So after all the show wanted to mislead us (if it goes for that medical twist) and that is, like I sais above, just silly.
Flag
Another good point. Since the GOP won't allow Homeland to have an abortion, I agree on miscarriage.
Flag
Well at least that explains why Carrie wasn't taking her meds this time, to protect her possible baby. Wasn't it weird to see her pick up the baby and coo him in that scene? I never thought of her character as having any maternal instincts at all.

I didn't think this episode was so bad. I thought Dana leaving and her Mom giving up made sense sometimes you know that your child needs something you can't give her, it's painful, but being away from all the Brody family crap is probably best for her. I *hope* this ends the Dana saga but I doubt it.

More Quinn made the episode much better, I am interested to see how the power struggle in the CIA plays out. Dar Adal is Quinn's mentor but Peter has been growing close to Saul lately and seeing the value in his leadership.
Flag
But she's permitted it to be subjected to EST? Come on, the writers are asshats.
Flag
Hmm idk but I don't think electroschock therapy (if that's what you're talking about) would cause harm to the fetus so early in the pregnancy.
Flag
Then all the booze?
Flag
hahaha yeah prob the booze though
Flag
Well...at least this episode is much more exciting than the last 5 combined so its a start !
Flag
This week your review was spot-on. This show is a pale reflection of past seasons. I've been hanging in there, but barely. I'll watch a few more episodes, but if it doesn't pick up, I'm out of here :)
Flag
I'll give it until the end of the year. If they can't get their act together by then, they're toast - PeeSticking toast, that is.
Flag
I am sorry to say but the show is not getting any better. People who recommended to give Peter Quinn a bigger role to make Homeland better are right. Something needs to change. I don't understand why is Damian Lewis on the poster as a leading role because he only appeared in one episode and a stupid one. I really hope the writers will amaze us with the next episodes because otherwise the show is loosing fans. I still remember Q&A, an incredible episode without a doubt. I want another Q&A. Please let the writers be inspired with great ideas for the next episodes.
Flag
Unfortunately the guy who wrote Q & A is dead. The episode you call stupid was the last one he wrote. I don't think it was stupid. It did however have one stupid thing in it: Brody had no doubts that he would be taken care of at the mosque. He's not supposed to be that stupid.
Flag
The shows serious tone, the jazz music, the professional voices, the slow rythm, the whole first season, all that makes you expect Homeland to be something very different from what it is right now. The content and plots are now less serious than the ones in Covert Affairs! They just still look more serious because of the looks of the show. But they aren't anymore. Can we still enjoy it somehow?

Sooo how come they didn't notice at the hospital that she was pregnant? Did they think that this was a side effect of her medicine? Because pregnancy is important when you give somebody a medical treatment of any kind, isn't it?
Flag
Yes, isn't it amazing? They must be Dexter doctors.

Imagine how mini Brody felt after getting EST.

I call bullshit on the writers and this ruse, if it is one. They must be Dexter writers.
Flag
No. Actually Dexter doctors allow people to dock their boat just outside the hospital, pull the plug on a patient and wheel her dead body out on a gurney without so much as a question...LOL
Flag
I certainly didn't hate this episode, I even liked the unpredictability of the Javadi story. And now that I've had some time to think about it, I really don't think Carrie used those tests for pregnancy reasons. The episode was called "Still Positive", so I agree with other comments stating the tests were used to assure if the pills were still in her system. Which is, in fact, a possibility.
Flag
Why would she need to know? Everyone knows she was in a psychiatric hospital. She's been on these meds numerous times. I'm sure she's familiar with the withdrawal process.

Anyway the writers already confirmed the pregnancy in a behind the scenes clip. She's known that she's pregnant for awhile. But she keeps taking the tests because of her obsessive tendencies and problems facing reality.
Flag
Well, I didn't have that behind-the-scenes information, I just watch the show.
Flag
Anyway the writers already confirmed the pregnancy in a behind the scenes clip.

Did they? Ah, so they ARE Dexter writers and are as dumb as a box of rocks.

So the kid has endured EST and drinking and is just fine and dandy?
So Carrie didn't use birth control, didn't demand a condom, and the actor Danes is a moron producer? Then again, she's a female in a male show.

Confirmed: the writers are male, morons, and rejects from Dexter.
Flag
What's with all this Dexter flak? Yes, the last season was pretty awful, but so were a lot of series out there. This is starting to seem like a Lost persecution.
Flag
To be fair, the last 3-4 seasons of Dexter were pretty awful. The final season was ridiculously bad culminating in a lumbereffingjack. The flak I believe is because the same network is once again turning a once great show into something not good.
Flag
I thought i could never hate anyone as much as i do with joffrey (Game of thrones) but here we have Dana trying hard to give a new meaning to the word. I used to be so in love with the series but for it to have fallen at this level it is just crazy.
Flag
You know a show is bad when you don't watch it---instead, you just read the review to see how bad it's been since you stopped watching.
Flag
Good for you. Yes, it IS that bad. I have gone back since I no longer have a show to love to hate since the moronic Dexter went off the air.

Homeland is as stupid as Dexter. Again, good for you and yes, it IS that bad.
Flag
Come on that's an exaggeration. If you want a TERRIBLE show to hate, wait until the Following comes back, I gave that shit show about 8 eps. and just couldn't do it anymore. Check it out for terrible television, it's pretty much Dexter level ridiculousness
Flag
haha — Quote of the day: “How does a woman who doesn't even take her shirt off for sex get pregnant? I don't know what's more shocking: that she's pregnant or that she keeps all of her used pregnancy tests in a drawer. Those are covered with pee, Carrie!” :)
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members