A Homeland Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime (Returning January 15, 2017)

Homeland S03E08: "A Red Wheelbarrow"

Happy Sunday evening, party people! Although Tim found a way outside of that dark, locked conference room last week, he's now on a top-secret flight to South America to procure something really, really important. So you're stuck with me for a second week in a row. Hopefully it won't be any worse than getting your computer secretly hacked into by disenfranchised ex/probable terrorist. 

Last weekHomeland made me laugh in an angry way: Saul's childish actions were just too much to handle. This week? I'm laughing because I've finally embraced the fact that the show is just flat-out trolling us now. Even when Homeland reveals a plot point that I (and probably most of us) assumed was coming, the show manages to do it in such a way—and to treat it so seriously—that I can't help but cackle. I'm of course talking about this episode's final moments, where Saul's secret flight overseas was not to Iran, where I assumed he was going, but to Venezuela, so he could rendezvous with Spider Tattoo Dude and retrieve our hero and our villain, Nicholas Brody, out of captivity. To give credit where credit's due, this was a fun moment, and it opens up a lot of weirdly fascinating questions about the long-con Saul has probably been running on everyone in the post-CIA bombing world. Does this mean that Saul has known of Brody's location from the very beginning, and he's simply let the guy lie until Saul thought he could be useful to an operation? Does Saul intend to use Brody to get the CIA director job, to further phase two of the Iran op, or simply to ruin Carrie's life for the 19th time? Has Saul gone completely rogue? And will this all just end with Saul locking Brody in a conference room and turning out the lights?

Frankly, I'm not sure I have much of an idea, nor am I totally sure how I feel about this twist. On one hand, I prefer my Homeland to be a little nutty and to feature a Saul Berenson who's the smartest and coolest dude on the planet. Whatever he's doing with Brody helps get the show back to those things, and hopefully keeps Saul away from his "No, your mother is going to be the new director of the CIA" bratfest with Senator Lockhart. The idea that Saul has known about Brody's location does lend credence to the fact that he's treated Carrie like garbage throughout much of the season, even setting aside that one cool time where he assassinated her character in front of a Senate committee and the American public. Earlier in this episode, he acted supremely shifty when Carrie asked about Javadi's information regarding the CIA bombing. And more than that, he did that Saul asshole thing where he turns Carrie's concerning questions against her, making her feel like a child. He apologized to Carrie later, but only when he was trying to build her up before the big op--and before he was about to get on the plane to bring back her TRUE LOVE and future father of the year. So I guess the more the show figures out a way to explain why Saul has acted like a prick for much of the season, the better. 

On the other hand, this is the second time this season that Homeland has completely pulled the rug out from underneath the audience and revealed a slightly-out-of-nowhere twist. Some people have voiced the fear that the show has completely collapsed under the weight of its sudden plot "developments," and this maneuver certainly isn't going to alleviate those concerns. You never want ANY series to introduce twists just for the sake of having twists. I'm sure it's purposeful that this episode was named after a confusing, postmodern, proto-troll poem, but I also don't really know what that purpose is. I understand that Homeland is a show about lying and deceit, but Season 3 has withheld quite a bit more information than the previous two, and only seems interested in revealing new facts when it can create a confusing, gut-punch of a cliffhanger. 

As you can see, I'm not really sure what to think. I don't really hate what Homeland is doing, even if I'm tired of the show screwing with us. We knew that Brody would be back once Javadi spilled the beans (and seriously, if the show doesn't really get back to the Iran stuff and Javadi's main purpose was to remind us that Brody was innocent, that's lame); it's probably better that he comes back this way rather than waiting until the end of the season with Carrie (and Quinn) going Seal Team Six on that high rise in Caracas. Now that would be amazing.

The good news is that much of this episode didn't make much sense, and in a compelling way. Watching Carrie, Quinn, and Dar try to work Leland Bennett and Paul Franklin into revealing the identity of the true CIA bomber was pretty fun because they were actually trying to do their jobs and the story made nice work of the prior connections that Carrie established when working toward the Javadi meeting. This season has tried to be about a different kind of villain—the money men and the power brokers—and this was one of the few times where I felt like that approach worked pretty well. The surveillance on Bennett and Franklin wasn't anything special, but it built nicely to that final set-piece where all hell broke loose and Quinn was forced to shoot Carrie to keep the larger operation going. It was in that moment where it finally seemed like the disparate threads, and Carrie's work, had meant something. Carrie couldn't disrupt Franklin's murder of the real bomber because it would reveal the Javadi deal, and now the team has some vague but important intel on whatever the hell it is that Franklin and Bennett are doing. And more than that, that sequence also made the best of Carrie's emotional journey thus far. She wanted the bomber alive because she needs to clear Brody's name before the baby is born. I'm not sure if she still really loves him and the pregnancy itself is still pretty ridiculous, but I can understand Carrie's desire and her stubborn willingness to put herself in the crosshairs to obtain the truth. 

Again, this is another situation where it's almost entirely unclear what's really going on. Like Carrie, we listened in while Bennett told Franklin to get the bomber safely out of the country, so clearly something else is afoot that spurred Franklin to handle it i another, more violent way. Perhaps this means that Bennett isn't really aware of the kind of terrible people he's aligned himself with and he's some kind of fall guy that has been planned for a while. And honestly, I still do not trust Dar. It seems weird that the show would introduce such a fascinating character in Season 2 and then use him as an op leader and Saul cheerleader in Season 3. His ties to Bennett are probably even more important than what we saw this week. 

Was everything in this episode good in the most truest sense of the word? Probably not. But it does feel like Homeland's disparate stories are coming together, and that the season is finally about something (even if that something is mostly Saul is playing everybody and uh, don't trust anyone). Alex Gansa has said that this season was planned in three distinct four-episode sections. The reveal that Carrie and Saul were working everyone came in Episode 4 and sent the show into a weird but not all together unwatchable second portion. I'm hoping that the reveals in this episode, the season's eighth, will kick-start a final stretch that is at least entertaining. I don't know if Homeland can totally reclaim "good" this season, but there's still a lot of time left to be fun and exciting, even if in dumb ways. 

WACKO SCRIBBLINGS FROM CARRIE'S "I HEART BRODY" DIARY

– Good news! Senator Lockhart escaped the locked conference room. And he apparently immediately ran and told the White House Chief of Staff, as expected. The petty stuff between Lockhart and Saul is out of control, but it was kind of funny to watch the Chief of Staff begrudgingly throw Lockhart out of his office on a technicality. 

– You guys, Fara is feeling weird about her job and her sick father at home is kind of a drag. Good on the show for reminding us that Fara isn't just Saul's data-crunching bot, but those scenes dragged. How soon until the writers kill her off to raise the stakes? Episode 10?

– Do you think Quinn has an "I HEART CARRIE" diary, by the way? I've heard that you don't really love someone until you shoot them in the arm with a sniper rifle to keep a covert operation going.

– Even with the return of Tim Guinee's Scott Ryan in this episode, it still appeared as if there were no human beings in the CIA HQ other than our cast members. What's the harm in showing a couple of people walking down the hallway?

– SHOCKINGLY, the boy toy of Saul's wife is only with her to procure information. You can't safely philander with anyone in this day and age.

– Episodes without Dana Brody or Whatever Her Name Is: 2. Anyone miss her yet? 

– Brody stinks, apparently. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/20/2015

Season 5 : Episode 12

120 Comments
Comments (120)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
As I mentioned in my comments to the Tower of David episode, the flashback to Bordy would work so much better after this episode. But the showrunners felt so clever, they had to drag out the reveal about Carrie and Saul AND had this "cool" 3x4 episodes plan.

This season would work so well as an 8 episode season.
Flag
.......while Dana acclimates to her new circumstances. (tomorrow's show)

And you thought she was gone.

Be prepared to fast forward (or mute) the non-talented actor's scenes.
Flag
I'm finding that this season is starting to drag a bit. I could care less about Saul's family life and Fara (although at least Saul's wife ex-martial activities have some more semblance in the context of things now).

Not sure I like the idea of Saul being some all powerful mastermind either, I just don't buy him having figured all these things out and orchestrating all these operations without making a mistake.
Flag
Enjoyed the whole review, but the scribblings were particularly fun. Cheers!
Flag
Now im sad that Saul came to my country and i missed him
Flag
Are the show creators really telling us that the acting director of the CIA doesn't do a simple background check on any stranger that comes anywhere near his family to make sure they are clean?! yet Let alone the fact that Saul walks around alone with no bodyguards in the picture. Isn't that TOO confident of him?
And one more thing. Is heroin a kinda hair growth stopper? Brody's hair hadn't grown in like weeks, not even a bit.
Flag
From a genius poster at TWOP:

The award for "Promising Show That Went Fastest To Shit" goes to Homeland.

Flag
Arrogant much?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/homeland-showrunner-alex-gansa-brody-656831

"Everything that has happened this season so far has been in a very large degree much more meticulously planned than the first and second seasons. To hear that we’re wandering in the woods is just hysterical to us."

What a tool.

It will be nice to see the back of this show after the finale.
Flag
I get the feeling the kool aid brigade made the big boss put Tim in the naughty corner :) Cory, good to see the reviews are still straight down the middle. As for this season, going to need something extraordinary to match up to the first two. At the moment it feels unorganised, and a lot of things are illogical plot devices. ive got nowhere near the excitement I used to have for this show.
Flag
my take is that saul set up the cia bombing, he knew who was going to be there, all the right people to take out so he would end up charge....all so he could get into position to, as he put it, end this back and forth and change the diplomacy between these warring nations, to put javadi as a controllable player in a country that is/was a threat to the US....he asked javadi what he knew about the bombing to make sure he didn't know saul was involved, this is why he asked him behind closed doors and out of camera, make sure he knew nothing and wouldn't have to kill him or get rid of him
Flag
Franklinn might have killed the bomber as a means of safety for himself. If the CIA or any other authority for that matter get to him, the connection to Franklin will be inevitable.
Also Brody should stink, he pissed himself.
Flag
Far out!
It's like Days of Our Lives, but with spies.
Flag
I agree about Dar; it's a little difficult to see him as a minor player and I hope that goes somewhere. As to Saul, "even if that something is mostly Saul is playing everybody and uh, don't trust anyone," I don't see that as terribly far-fetched. Saul isn't in his position at an agency like the CIA for nothing. And Quinn's shooting of Carrie gave us a taste of just how agressively another agent would handle her inability to play well with others. Quinn can like her and all that, but he's shooting her just same. So Saul adapts to her insubordination, then uses it to further his goals, while others have launched more direct hits. A good indicator of Saul's skill at the spy game as well as a sense of just how ambitious he is. Ambitious for his own success as well as for his philosophy of spylife.
Flag
Fara is Javadi´s daughter, right?
Flag
I'm mildly disappointed this review doesn't have a gif of Carrie being shot in it. I don't know why, but I found that absolutely hilarious when I watched it.
Flag
I would rather have a Dana plot than whatever the hell the scorned lover is cooking up.
Flag
"if Homeland can totally reclaim "good" this season, but there's still a lot of time left to be fun and exciting, even if in dumb ways." um you must have the luxury of avoiding a lot of network tv. Homeland is good tv. It's worst criticism is comparing it to itself (season one) which is still praise in a way, isn't it? with plot points I could see the ways to pick them apart but primarily, I watch for the characters - Saul, Carrie - they are just very interesting, compelling characters that so many shows just don't even come close to having. Quinn and new comer Fara are also really nice. I actually found some enjoyment in seeing Fara struggle with the outcomes of the mission and her declaration "I'm an American" to her father was cool moment (esp. if you think back to Saul's (surprising) rant at her on her first day at CIA). I do agree that these last episodes have also been good for mixing in more CIA work/missions than just straight drama and too much Dana Brody.
Flag
Does Dar Adal remind anyone else of Jafar fom Aladdin? I can't be the only one!
Flag
Summary of my thoughts; No Dana = GREAT, Carrie getting shot in arm = GREAT, Quinn = Always great!
Flag
i think the fara + father side story is important as to reveal some background and insights into her character and soul, how she feels about it all, where her moral foundations come from (therefore her father) and so on. any more would be blowing it up too much.

i feared that the next time we saw brody he'd be a total wreck and now we see what happened it weakens my belief that he will get a feasible comeback.

there were also many moments that were just made to completely mistrust saul again, be it his secret flight to caracas (how the duck did he know it, and for how long ????) or be it just a little word he said or a look he gave somebody. that guy is incredible!
Flag
Saul reminds me of the phrase "the smartest guy in the room", he's really bought into that this year. Can't really blame him much though because he usually turns out to be the smartest guy in the room--only difference is he does it with a smirk these days. Saul's motivation is the mystery that is keeping me hanging on. At this point I wouldn't even put it past Saul to have setup his wife to meet that guy who seems to be trying to get intel on Saul's operation or will Homeland do another switcharoo and the guy is just a very technical savvy stalker. Carrie is my Fav, but she loses all sense of rationality whenever the name Brody is mention....where they really that much in love? I forget. Quinn was forced to shoot Carrie...he was gentle with it though. I'm not sure Carrie is Mommy material, most pregnant women who are unfortunately shot probably would be screaming hysterically about their child. Not sure what the purpose of locking Brody down and feeding him heroin was suppose to accomplish....and Dana thought she had it hard.

Flag
I still root for Carrie too and am tired of seeing her constantly jeopardizing her reputation, respect, and standing at the CIA for Brody. Thank you Quinn for shooting her in the arm and stopping her (maybe there'll be no baby now - only in the sense of a purely fictional plot device).
Flag
like the show
who was the bomber, did he look familiar to anyone?
I think Saul has security in computer as well as home and did have the boyfriend checked out
he keeps a lot close to his chest
next we will see him watching a tape of the man and the computer will spew out information of having been viewed
now he will submit wrong information to the hacker
Flag
No Dana! Again! One less thing to hate.
Flag
I was thinking perhaps Tim was getting sick of doing Homeland reviews and finally gave up watching so he use something to bribe Cory to do the reviews (read: he is still doing TWD reviews).

Oh yes. I agree with everything Cory reviewed. I have the same feelings watching Homeland this season. It now feels at least a bit more exciting even I still find some plots dumb.

I have actually come to accept that season 3 for Homeland will go down in history as a very bad season. I do hope season 4 will be good and at the end of this show, we call all say it is a good show with a BAD season 3 only !
Flag
I think Tim was pulled off.... they call it "being stuck in a conference room".
Flag
Being stuck in the conference room was a reference to last episode where saul locked the senator in the conference room.

Well, Cory is doing a good job too if Tim was pulled off permaently. I was joking about it only because Tim had been always complaining about watching the show this season.
Flag
They were doing a play on words, with the reference to the show. But, I do think Tim was pulled off. Wrong show for him to review, for many reasons.
Flag
I'm just done now. I'll keep reading reviews, but I have no idea how it can shake this "Heroes"-y feeling I'm getting when I watch this. People are just doing things that make no sense, motivations are all over the place, and there are twists that come out of nowhere.
Flag
so it's like real life isn't it? :)
Flag
Poor Farrah is caught betwixt and between. Not sure where that's headed.

Who is this Franklin guy? He sure ain't no damn lawyer.

The eurotrash spy. If he has the skills to hack Saul's Mac, he has the skills to bypass alarms and security.

Finally, when the Denalis rolled up and I saw the homeless people, I thought no way. When I saw Brody, I thought WTF.

What, no Dana? (Just kidding. Maybe)
Flag
BTW am I the only guy who has thoroughly enjoyed Saul's exchanges with Senator Lockhart? This last childish exchange wasn't as funny as the locking his ass in the office was but it was good stuff nonetheless.
Flag
The guy's a douche and Saul knows it. I've enjoyed Saul's continued dominance.
Flag
I am not apologizing or crunching over...I LOVED this episode, just like I love all scenes with Damien Lewis. This is one of the weeks highlights for me and there are sooooo many other bad shows out there. The only thing I reacted to is the fact that pouring acid on a corpse demands for protective gear...as i've seen before.
Flag
Pouring acid on a corpse in a bath tub... Hasn't the guy watched Breaking Bad !?
Flag
He was probably using HCl (Hydrochloric Acid) instead of HF (Hydrofluoric Acid). It is not nearly as dangerous to handle and is easier to buy. And IIRC it doesn't dissolve enamel so you can use it in a tub, but it might leave teeth behind. I've often wondered why Hiesenberg insisted on using HF.
Flag
He just wants to make the guy disappear, not to make it clean. It works in that sense. One of the only things that works, for that matter...
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Well if they've broken this 12 ep. season into 3 distinct parts, I'll give Part 2 a solid B, after a dismal D for segment 1. They've left some hope for a decent finish with how they've played the last segment out. Did find the whole shoot Carrie thing a bit much, and glad there was some payoff to the audience regarding Saul's wife. It's not at all farfetched that such a play would be made on a VIP in the life of the new Director of the CIA.
So looks like Brody will be a factor in at least one of the show segments, and the less Dana the better.
Flag
"Episodes without Dana Brody or Whatever Her Name Is: 2. Anyone miss her yet?"

You know you have just jinxed it
Flag
I have enjoyed this season so far and look forward to more reveals and surprises. I really like shows when there are lots of things that are unexpected and surprising. So few are.
Flag
though i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you mean it but i fully agree with what you say.
Flag
No sarcasm intended - I really like Homeland and can't wait to see where its going next.
Flag
Best part of this episode: No 'Living with Dana' episodes in the middle of 'Homeland.' Those scheduling errors were really starting to piss me off.
Flag
I enjoyed this episode just like the previous one. Maybe my expectations have dialled down a little, but I did not see the Venezuela thing coming. And Quinn shooting Carrie.. phew! He had to, there's nothing more to say.
Flag
The question is, will this effect the possibility of them coming together?
Flag
I appreciate Cory's review. At least now we know why Carrie had a collection of pregnancy tests. I agree with those of you who wish that the show had only run one season. The writers are phoning it in and should be shot in the shoulder, one by one. (Please know that I'm just joking so please don't lash into me, pacifists.)
Flag
I'd say that including a pregnancy in the middle of the spies show could be a good idea, because you know, women DO get pregnant, including spies, so treating the subject could be pertinent and fine, but come on, Carrie...!!! You take the risk to compromise a CIA huge operation for a chance to clear Brody's name? Really? And all that, out of love? Gee, if that is the kind of love that you feel, why didn't you just run away with him out of the country! Do we have to blame this kind of behaviour on hormones? That doesn't make any sense! OK, it was a fucked up situation for her, but she's this super smart agent, she knows what's going to happen! She knows! And hey, it is pretty obvious that Quinn has some kind of feelings for her, plus he wants to quit the CIA. But still, he is not going to let her ruin everything! And took the shot! Obviously! I'm sooo disappointed, Carrie!
Flag
We know Carrie stopped taking her pills, that might cause her to act more emotional than normal (uh, what is normal). It is a twist we've seen before, Carrie not taking her pills, but this time it's for the protection of the unborn child. I do not hope they only introduced this pregnancy just to give her another reason to sop with the pills. Been there, done that.
Flag
She thinks she is smarter when she doesn't take the pills, though. This wasn't very smart.
Flag
Thats's what we think, but try to see it from her perspective.
Flag
Agree with you, that's part of what did not make the show better.
Flag
I try, but I am not very sucessful. She has changed a lot from doing whatever needed to prevent another attack to her country to this shade of herself that only has clearing Brody's name as a goal. Like a zombie.
Flag
When Dar is talking to Bennett, he says "I do terror... something something, by the way". Can anyone catch what he actually says?
Flag
He just said "I do terror now, by the way."
Flag
wow, that moment brought my face very close to the screen. why did he say that? what does it mean?
Flag
I thought it meant "I no longer run the completely illegal assassination department, I now do counter-terrorism".
Flag
I liked the spy-stuff on this episode, it felt a bit like the old Homeland, setting things up for the bigger episodes.
Flag
The whole operation around Leland/Franklin was fun and I particularly liked that Quinn shot Carrie. Nothing says "Love ya girl but you are out of control" like that controlled sniper shot. Considering how wacky Carrie has been and her own agenda vis a vis Brody (even if they do not yet know about the pregnancy), her involvement in the case, esp in the field, is kinda high risk...

I do not mind Saul being an asshole as such but his idea to effect regime change in Iran by getting supersleaze Javadi promoted within the military ranks sounds totally ludicrous to me...

Family drama is dragging Homeland down... No Brody family this week but now we have Farrah's and worst even, Saul's wife's lover who's also a spy... Ugh!
Flag
For whom he cooks meals all lovey dovey, but doesn't set up a proper in-home security system with a key pad and a cctv camera.

Ah, the stupidity of stupid writers.
Flag
Even if Saul was the worst husband ever, surely because of his CIA job, his house should have better security?
Flag
Family drama doesn't need to be bad, but they all feel lame in Homeland. That's apity as the rest can be good. For some reason the writers can't cope with that. They are either setting things up very obviously (and uninteresting) or they just seem to be without any reason (like whatsherface until now).
Flag
Agreed - I like Carrie's family and their involvement in Carrie's life feels organic rather than forced / off plot / utterly annoying
Flag
If people ask me if they should watch Homeland my answer is always only if you stop watching after season 1.

Season two was ridiculous and I don't know what to call season three.

Homeland is broken and no matter how many plot twists, smart plans, great acting and whatever they are planning to do next won't fix it. The direction Homeland is going is not particularly original or interesting. There is too little focus and so much clutter. At this point I think they could reduce the season to 6 episodes saving us from hours of nonsense.

And big surprise Carrie again going off book in a mission compromising way. Serious CIA? Taking a nutcase on missions you may want to put her in a car with somebody who can restrain her instead of hoping she will actually follow orders and having to shoot her. This scene was so redundant.
Flag
Really? I thought season 2 was great. I still remember Brody's confession as one of the seminal moments in the whole show.
Flag
One great scene does not make a great season and the rest of season 2 was hours and hours of ridiculous television. Somehow the interrogation scene and the bomb at CIA HQ convinced a lot of people season 2 was a good season. To put in perspective that's 25 minutes max in a give or take 650 minute season. That's less than 4%!

Flag
Obviously, I didn't mean that was the only good thing in the second season (I loved it back to back), but it was one of the things that stuck with me after watching a lot of shows. That has to mean something.
Flag
EXCELLENT POST, Milanowicz.

If people ask me if they should watch Homeland my answer is always only if you stop watching after season 1.

Perfect.

Homeland is broken and no matter how many plot twists, smart plans, great acting and whatever they are planning to do next won't fix it.

Brilliant. It's a car wreck that we can't turn away from now, but happily this season is it for me.

At this point I think they could reduce the season to 6 episodes saving us from hours of nonsense.

Yes! We begged the moronic writers at Dexter to do that, but they wouldn't. Greed is good, and nothing is more greedy than a highly paid staff of idiot writers.

Taking a nutcase on missions you may want to put her in a car with somebody who can restrain her instead of hoping she will actually follow orders and having to shoot her.

Hilarious, wasn't it? Carrie, don't open that door. Carrie, don't go out that door. Carrie, don't run down that street. CARRIE!

HAHAHAHAHA, Carrie be 4 years old. Ah, the stupid writing of stupid writers.
More +
Flag
I absolutely agree 100 % here. If there was a show that should have been a miniseries for just one season is Homeland. But is mostly shows produced outside USA that dare to go just for the one season and know where to stop. I myself are not watching now season 3. I had enough of bad plot that ruined the first season.
Flag
Agree 100%.

Season 2 gets spoken of well here sometimes, but I thought it had no real story. I think we enjoyed the start just because of how good season 1 had been.

I think it is a shame they didn't end at 1, where the story was complete (and could've been wrapped up), perhaps then continued as a spin-off if they'd really wanted to,

Sometimes renewal is not a good thing.

Flag
Blimey, I'll tell you what, Damian Lewis is getting paid for doing bugger-all isn't he?
Flag
Why didn't Saul, with all the facilities at hand, do a background check on his wife's boyfriend?

Would have saved us a really shit storyline.

Nice home security, head of the CIA Saul.

The show still blows.
Flag
Good point. Although they did make a point to show that Saul didn't give a chit about the boyfriend and now that he's reconciled his feelings he may not have wanted to check on the guy...but yeah you're right who they kidding? Saul would have totally looked up who the prick was just to see if he was playing his wife for her proximity to Saul
Flag
I agree, but I'd have thought that there would be a whole section dedicated to securing senior directors' homes and ensuring they were bug-free, as well as running background checks. It's hardly an agency run on shoe-string!
Flag
I'm thinking that maybe Saul knows what's going on - That is, he has received pertinent information about his wife's friend and wants to use that for some purpose - a bit of a stretch, but you never know. It wouldn't be the first time in the season that we get that kind of twist, would it.
Flag
Staff
I'm guessing that Gansa would tell you that Saul was too busy with the op. The show went out of its way the previous couple of episodes to show that. But I agree.
Flag
I do not always agree with you on the show, but this time I do agree. I've never understood why someone that high in an intelligence agency coluld have a private life like that in the States.
Flag
Two possibilities. He suffers from Miami Metro Syndrome or he knows and plays him, which is almost as ridiculous. Saul the great puppet master, who plays everyone, even himself.
Flag
"Miami Metro Syndrome"...As a former fan turned hater of Dexer Give that one a +1
Flag
Good things about Red Wheelbarrow: no formerly known as Dana Brody in sight. Saul gets his groove on at home. Senator Lockhart gets locked out of another office. Farah al not Faucett is, after all, AMERICAN! Dar is on-board in full support of Saul's gamble (eh, maybe?). Carrie gets a monumental wake-up call. Stinky heroin Venezuelan detainee Brody is on his way back.

Seriously, it seems to close all the past episodes setting up Javadi and moving toward something, hopefully, closer to the core of what originally Homeland was about. Saul's got 9 days to do whatever he pleases and the ending is pretty much proof of that. Should be an interesting latter part of the season beginning now.

Flag
Correction: the poem is modernist and not postmodern, unless by 'postmodern' you just mean 'confusing and nonsensical'.
Flag
Staff
Yeah, that's what I meant. Though the lines between all periods and identifications like that are very blurring.
Flag
No Dana again!! YES YES YES
Flag
Like Arnold, she'll be back. Much time will be wasted on Brody hunting her down.
Flag
stop writing articles, you have no idea what you're talking about
Flag
Yup, there have been so many clueless comments in the last two reviews that I've been tempted to post but then figured it wasn't worth the time to try to give the reviewer a clue since there were too many. To pick just one trivial one "kind of funny to watch the Chief of Staff begrudgingly throw Lockhart out of his office on a technicality. ". Although I agree it was funny, it is seriously out of touch with reality to claim it is merely a "technicality'. Until the guy is confirmed as director and given a higher clearance you don't just share information with him because you apparently think he is a nice guy or want to score brownie points. Obviously shows like this play fast and loose with the rules, but it is far more than a technicality.

The issue of whether he will actually take over the CIA and will ever have that clearance is up in the air. It seems possible his takeover as director will be a major plot issue, but it is also possible that his confirmation will be undermined in some way. Perhaps something will point out how clueless the guy is regarding the reality of the need for human intel (regardless of the credibility of the regime change possibility).
More +
Flag
You're right, but it being a technicallity is what Saul used and what Lockhard agreed on and what Cory pointed out. We should be happy that it is used as a formal and an (enjoyaous) comical way.
Flag
Staff
Lockhart thinks it's a technicality.
Flag
That's funny because up until the Duck Blind scene Saul thought it was a technicality
Flag
Staff
I'll try
Flag
I enjoyed your Dexter reviews and am glad to see you writing for Homeland too, never stop :)
Flag
:-)
Flag
Pick up the challenge and write a review yourself for the community if you ahve a complete other view of the show.
Flag
What part of this article was wrong? Homeland is either trolling this season or terrible. I don't know which one I prefer.
Flag
i never said the show has been great, i just said this guy's articles about Homeland are pretty silly, he spends too much time making himself laugh and trying to make us laugh with him with corny ass comments

for one, how is anything Saul has done childish? he had to do what he felt needed to be done in the past episode (locking lockhart in that i guess what is a dark room), it's not like he did with giggles "oooooh this is gonna be so luls, let me lock the senator in here hahahaha", never was that the sentiment

and to persist with the whole quinn crush on carrie by suggesting he has a diary, sure, they made it seem like he might have felt "something" for carrie, but we're beyond that already, at this point he's just trying to figure wtf he's doing with his life

imho, cory is just writing these at a whim, he sounds like he is out of his element with the show

again, i'm not defending the show, it was a pretty terrible first half (although its gaining my interest again)...there is no reason to have someone that is seemingly out of touch with the show, write these articles

i've been reading articles on this site for a good while now, and these last two by cory have been pretty awful

just my opinion
More +
Flag
"for one, how is anything Saul has done childish?" yeah, because as CIA Big Boss, when a senator questions your methods, your answer is that you lock him up in a conference room and that will teach him. Sure.
Flag
Answer the question, rotatorboy.

The show hasn't gotten better, it's just getting its act together a little after being shit for weeks and weeks.

Saul knowing where Brody was makes no sense whatsoever. The show still blows.
Flag
it might make sense, maybe that guy caught brody and tried turning him in, but saul wanted to keep it hush hush in order to (clean his name?) and use him as a pawn for future endeavors....which is where it seems to be going....

they're the CIA, they've got ppl everywhere, they work outside the country, why wouldn't it make sense that they would know, at least Saul, he's been a pretty clever spy so far in the show
Flag
well, except for falling for that beast of a cheating wife lol...but who hasn't been there
Flag
Dude, that guy was the White House Chief of Staff, not the Secretary of State. The CIA Director works for DNI who reports directly to the President, not the State Department.
Flag
Staff
Thanks for pointing that out!
Flag
Staff
Fixed the title. Thanks.
Flag
Well well, I expected Brody to be like Ja Rule out prison and I got that instead... Twist indeed
Flag
Follow this Show
Members