A Homeland Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime (Returning January 15, 2017)

Homeland S03E12: "The Star"

That... that was pretty good. It doesn't totally make up for Season 3's earlier problems—in fact it sort of threw them in our face—and it still featured a few of Homeland's typical logical leaps, but "The Star" was probably about as strong of a finale the show could've delivered given the circumstances, and I don't mean that as a bad thing. There was a lot of baggage hanging over this season, for the show, for the creative team, and for us at home. I said last week that it was time for the show to move on. This is how you move on and still manage to give the departing character a few final powerful moments. 

The strongest thing about "The Star" (other than the acting, which we'll get to) was how well it not only tied some of the primary stories together but sort of emphasized that this was the only way everything could've played out, and even if Carrie and Saul wanted different outcomes, they ultimately completed their mission. It's hard to see it that way since Brody ended up hanged for murdering Akbari* and Saul ended being canned by Lockhart, who took over about a half-dozen hours earlier than he was supposed to just to make sure that Javadi's cover stayed true in Iran. But everything Saul and Carrie set into motion way back in the season premiere, from Carrie checking into the clinic to Saul trusting Javadi to stick to his word once he flipped against Iran, came to fruition here, and then some. Javadi had to take Brody out to keep his chances of real power in Iran alive and even though Saul didn't want to do it because of various reasons (loyalty to Carrie, his "old school" mentality), it was probably the right play if we're thinking on an international scale. 

*Okay, seriously. Brody drags the body into the back of the room, wipes up the blood, and sets the pillow back down on the couch, reverse side up like he's some 11-year old kid who spilled Mountain Dew Code Red while playing Halo. AND THEN he just walks out of the building, because Akbari's assistant is on a smoke break or something. That's amazing. I appreciate that the show gave us one last Unbelievable Nicholas Brody (Murder) Escape Plan. 

Those moments leading up to and right after Brody's capture showed what we already knew: Carrie and Saul were too wrapped up in other things to see that it was the right play. Carrie, obviously and perhaps rightly, was too concerned with getting Brody out of Iran, saving his life, and starting some sort of life with him. And Saul was too focused on proving that his methods worked, that Lockhart was a dumbass politician in a cheap suit, and that there's still value in saving people's lives along with successfully executing the mission. What's funny is that the people closest to both Carrie and Saul knew that the plan wasn't going to work out how they wanted. Brody knew it was probably over for him, whether he stayed in Iran or made his way back to the States, and Dar, however self-interested he may be, realized that it was time to make all of Saul and Carrie's efforts matter. I've mentioned this before, but one of the things Alex Gansa talked a lot about before and during the early part of the season was that this run of episodes was really going to underscore the impact of the lengths the characters go to as CIA agents. That's an easy thing to say, and really, that's what this show is. But I think "The Star" did a great job of making that point come to life. Carrie earned her recognition from Saul when Brody pulled off the Akbari murder, and Saul got his once Javadi made the right things happen in Iran four months later. Unfortunately, there was a price, as there always is.

Speaking of a price, what a fine farewell for Brody. It's funny how all of a show's problems can go away when it puts its two amazing actors with great chemistry in a room together and just lets them talk. The sequence in the safehouse wasn't quite as good as some of the interactions we saw from Brody and Carrie in Seasons 1 and 2, but it was certainly one of the stronger moments of this entire season. In that scene, all of the weight on Brody's shoulders, and all of the flip-flopping, was very visible on Damian Lewis's face. This was a man who recognized all of the terrible things he'd done, and also recognized that he couldn't let anyone, not even Carrie, tell him he'd found redemption. There was nowhere to go, no real life to re-discover. Even in the moment that Carrie convinced him they could make something work once they'd returned to the U.S., you got the sense Brody knew better. That's why he didn't put up a fight once Javadi and company captured him. He didn't want to be a cockroach any longer. And what a way to go out, huh? Not with a literal bang, but with a quiet, basically silent, death as Carrie shouted off in the distance.

The second half of the episode was also really, really nice. Not only was it a button on the last wild episode of an always wild show, but it also felt like a denouement for the whole series up to this point. It was also kind of amusing, because suddenly Carrie realized that the baby was an awful idea, and that she was clinging to it just because it gave her one last bit of Brody. Meredith Stiehm is back on Homeland as a writer as of this episode, and she's always had the best line on Carrie as a character. You could see that in this episode, and especially in that "four months later" coda. That was a Carrie who knew everything she had been through, but also had the self-awareness to understand that with her job and with her issues, raising a baby—in Istanbul, no less—would probably be an awful idea. And armed with what at least felt like better writing, it was really great to see Claire Danes play the version of Carrie I recognize from previous seasons. The character has been worn down by a lot, and that's the point, but she needed to find a way to move on. Hopefully this is the start of that.

Meanwhile, Saul got to take a little pleasure in knowing that he was ultimately right. The scene he shared with Dar at the diner was about as chipper and fun as the show has been all season, and it pointed to a world where Homeland isn't strapped down by Brody and can give other characters like Dar more to do while playing off Saul or Carrie. Even Lockhart, bless him, got a final little moment to be a rationale sorta asshole. He awarded Carrie a cool promotion, gave Saul his props, acknowledged that Brody did right by them in the end, but wasn't willing to honor Brody at the Star ceremony. The show figured out how to use Lockhart as the season progressed, and despite his position as an obvious foil for Carrie, Saul, and the ever-pissed Quinn, he was never fully wrong with his assertions about how to do the job. He's a politician, sure, and he does things differently, but he's not a full-on villain. 

It was one hell of a rocky ride, but ultimately, Homeland ended Season 3 about exactly where it probably should have all along, and it did so in a very, very satisfying manner. The slate is mostly clean; the show could literally go anywhere now, and that's a good thing. To say that these dozen episodes have tried our patience is probably an understatement, but you get the sense that Homeland wouldn't have it any other way. 

WACKO SCRIBBLINGS FROM CARRIE'S "I HEART BRODY" DIARY

– Carrie putting the Sharpie star on the wall was about damn near perfect. She never, ever lets stuff go. 

– At this point, Quinn apparently spends his time just pacing around in the parking lot waiting for Carrie. He's obviously going to be her #1 draft pick for the Istanbul gig, right?

– I would have liked to see Homeland reveal how the CIA explained Brody in Iran and his death to the American press. Clearly, Javadi being able to take credit for capturing Brody helped his cause in Iran, but did the U.S. government reveal Brody's role in Akbari's murder? Was his name cleared for the CIA bombing? I'm guessing not, but would love to hear what you folks think.

– Another loose thread: Paul Franklin and the murder of the "real" CIA bomber. Is that just done? 

– This is probably the end of the road for the Brody family as well. News broke on Friday that Morgan Saylor (Dana) and Morena Baccarin (Jessica) will not return as series regulars in Season 4, and after the events of this finale, it seems there's no real need to drudge their stories up again. They'll go down as Season 3's worst, and rightfully so, but Saylor and Baccarin did their best. We'll also never learn anything more about Chris Brody's karate, which breaks my heart.

– Thanks for having me during the second half of the season. I really enjoyed the challenge of writing about the show, especially mid-crisis, just as I enjoyed your comments. I appreciate it.

What'd you think of the finale? Did it redeem Season 3 for you?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/20/2015

Season 5 : Episode 12

464 Comments
Comments (368)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I have just finished watching the last episode and i am still kimd of shock with Brody's murder. There was not way out for him after everything what happened in this season, that I think is the worst. But what now? If Brody dissappears this could not be named Homeland anymnore since he was the essence of the show. Now it will turn just into another CIA show, nothing special.
Flag
Putting it simply, by killing off Brody the show creators did what most others do not have the guts to do. How many shows start off really well for the first couple of seasons but then simply drag on forever just because they are afraid to adjust their main story? Almost all shows I've seen have fallen into this pitfall and I am proud that Homeland creators recognized the signs and acted accordingly.

Apart from this little rant, does anyone know of a replacement show please? :)
Flag
Tyrant
Flag
I loved the first two seasons of this show. But really. . . season three just went way too far for the suspension of my disbelief. They destroyed the show with the finale -- and I wasn't THAT much of a Brody fan. I wish they had killed a pregnant Carrie! You an only milk a renegade bi-polar white woman who is bat crazy and pregnant by a terrorist sooo far . . . and to give her a promotion? I am soooo done. How long could a minority in that role with the CIA go rogue? Her story and brilliant but victimized whining is waaaayyy old at this point. Had the CIA ( or even the Iranians) killed the pregnant Carrie (who knew ALL the CIA's double dealings) would have given the show some realism back, and gave us a reason to rescue Brody so he could go crazy on everyone corrupt in BOTH governments. I agree with the rest -- they painted themselves in a corner and had to check the writers in with Carrie at the asylum to get out. I will peep the premier of season four . . . but if it continues with this Carrie is touching but invincible crap . . . I am out!
More+
Flag
Or what if they'd killed his wife or son? That might have reinvigorated and reincorporated Brody. Apparently a lot of critics were saying they should just kill Brody off, and they listened (The plan was to kill him off in season one anyway, so they felt they had kept him alive for long enough.) Whether they made a good choice or not is yet to be scene. I am looking forward to Quinns character being more central, and I hope he and Carrie have a romantic angle- (he's always had a thing for her, though I don't think that would happen in real life. I would think a guy like Quinn would shy away from a girl like Carrie but w/e.) I will miss Brody; Whether I will like the show without him I don't know yet. Also is the Brody family gone? I was one of the few people who liked Dana.
Flag
Carrie's baby bump looked so fake.
Flag
Another great season for a great show.
Flag
Also, I could not sleep after watching it either, but not because of the "gruesomeness" or "emotion" of it, but because of anger, the shitiness of it...I was "miserable" too, but again, in a different sense, not because of his death, because of the death of a good show...

Flag
Bingo. It was a piece of shit.
Flag
Season started out horrible, then got great (upon Brody's return). By the end, I was thinking: another great season pulled off, until, you know...If the plan (obviously) the whole time was to lead up to Brody's death, then the writing over the whole season was even more awful than I originally thought. So many problems: The daughter thing, annoyingling pointless, but yet surprisingly ended on a good emotional note, well done. Brody's line to Carrie, "I'm coming back, and not just for her..." Again, good. Brody being "broken," almost killing himself with the hallucinagenic arm stabbing thing, sweet. Saul asking Brody to be a Marine again, testing his will to live with the whole drowning thing, and of course in the end, he shapes up, and accepts the mission, a marine again, alright! Brody looking like, once again, he is lost, siding with the "enemy," WHICH IS ONE OF THE CENTRAL, RECURRING THEMES OF THE SHOW! Where his alliances truly lie, (that and the chemistry between him and Carrie) Thus, he is part of both of the central themes of the show, from the beginning, but continuing on...He once again, makes the right decision, completes the mission, knew it! Carrie's overall pregnancy, her telling him, her emotional speech about fate bring them together for a reason, or whatever. "That's not crazy at all," he responds, the first (and strongest) sign of the their chemistry reigniting, in awhile. Then, suddenly, he is caught, gives up, and starts spouting shit again about I dunno, can't specifically remember\don't care, the just: "being tired...wanting it to end...not being a good guy...redemption..." So in the end, all that fantastic writing, emotional depth, build up...all literally for fucking nothing! Why even write her being pregnant to begin with then? It just makes me so angry! If they really deemed it necessary for him to be killed off, it could have been done much better. My thought was him killing Jevadi aswell, for shooting his friend, thus comprising the mission before being killed himself. THEN, small chance I might have "been interested to see where next season goes," but 0 interest now. Brody is the show (well as I said before, a central part of the main themes, him AND Carrie. Both are essential.) and now he is dead...

Sidenotes:
- Sucks aswell if Saul is actually gone too. And here there was terrible writing aswell. I can understand wanting to spare his wife's feelings from "being humiliated," very admirable, but that does not mean he has to get back with her. How many times has she screwed around with him\behind his back? And in the end they are perfectly happy, no mention of any of it...Annoyed the hell out of me.

- Carrie and Brody should definitely have done it once more at least, at the safehouse...

- You just don't kill off an actor like Damien Lewis! Career suicide for a series. He was what originally, and instantly sparked my interest in the show. Saw his name, knew it would be good...the original basic synopsis I remember, "An American Marine\POW is found alive after several years and is suspected of being turned upon returning home." He was at the centre of it, from the beginning...FUCK!

More+
Flag
I cannot remember another TV show where I was unable to separate reality from fiction. I literally couldn't sleep after witnessing that gruesome hanging. I would really like to know how they did it whilst keeping Damien safe. I think he is an awesome actor and I'm proud I live just down the road from where he was born.

As to the series itself; it started off pathetically slowly; I was almost ready to give up on it, when it suddenly took off like a rocket that you are almost going to go back to, in order to relight. I was mesmerised by all of it. I LOVE Carrie's character; she's so flawed and human. Brodie is a tragic figure; he's had such a miserable life. I found myself thinking back on all the series looking for parts in which he'd been happy, and I was hard pushed to find any. HIs death was like his life; tragic, pitiful, and alone. I am really miserable now!

Yes there are parts where you have to suspend disbelief; the way he covered up the assassination; the walking out of the secure building. Have any of you watched the original Israeli series on which Homeland was based? Prisoners of War? It's not as dramatic as Homeland with good reason; it's much more realistic...slower, but real. I know Israel and Israelis and this was the real McCoy. Watch it if you can get hold of it. I have series 2 waiting to be watched now.

As a journalist it would be my dream to interview Damien Lewis. Get in touch, lad!

Ruthie Pearlman

More+
Flag
Not the best season, but it ultimately paid off. Broody's death was inevitable, not only for what had happened throughout the season, but for his actual role. He was completely apart from the rest of the characters (and I never really liked him, so I'm cool).
I just expected a hook for the next season, like something exploding up (again)...
Flag
Once we got past the reveal of Saul and Carrie's plan, the rest of Season 3 improved by leaps and bounds. The season finale was an excellent episode. Brody's death was inevitable and perfectly written. It is sad to see such a fine actor go, but nevertheless for the sake of the show it had to happen. It will be interesting to see where Season 4 takes us.
Flag
chris brody should be a terrorist and follow in his dads steps. the silent ones are always crazy.
Flag
Seriously - sad the writers scribbled themselves so far into a corner they had no choice but to kill off their best actor. That is poor planning.

Flag
You said it.
Flag
Season 4 has Carrie recruiting Chris and his mad Ka-raat-tay skeelz in Istanbul. Dana shows angst over only being asked to clean the field office as maid. And Jessica will walk around naked with pouty lips. And when Quinn shoots anyone who looks lustfully at Carrie, Saul will just shout "OyVay!" Season 4 folks! Take my money NOW Showtime!
Flag
If Homeland pursuits its course to serve the head of a main character for more unpredictability, who will be the next?

The natural choice would be Quinn.
He was willing (almost eager) to sacrifice himself for the murder of Javadis ex-wife. His guilty conscience will weight in again, for all the cold blooded executions he did for Dar Adal.
I guess everybody's reaction would be the same, wouldn't it?

And then who will be the next tooth replacing Quinn in the big white sharks mouth?

The one thing you can count on is,
it never gets old for the ordinary mob to scream for more blood when the imperator contemplates the faith of a gladiator, who battled and - against all odds - won every single round in the arena.

And when there was no sadistic torment left to throw against him, "their" imagination came up empty and the imperatorial thumb pointed down,
Brody refused to run away (or he would have endangered Carrie and the baby), not like a cockroach (that he never was), but like a man.
Flag
worst season of the series... only in the middle of it there was some hope, but at the end it was as crappy as it was at the beginning.
R.I.P Nicolas
Flag
Great review, Cory!

Although the season was a little rocky, it ultimately paid off.

I don't really know where the show will go next because this finale might have been a great, optimistic series finale. I will not be upset if next season they scratch Carrie as a main character also. We'll wait and see.
Flag
I am with you. The need to kill her character. It is worn out.
Flag
I think the destiny of Brody is the image of what is happening to show. At the beginning, Brody was focused on destroying american senators or whatever. He was going in a straight line, like the show did. This went on for two seasons. In season three, there was no Brody, and the show was absent guided. Finally Brody was turned, he did not know where he was going and in fne he could not redeem himself. Actually, I would say that the life of the show is at the moment when Brody and Carrie are in the cabin and where Brody realizes that there is no future for him even if Carrie (the tv show fans) still believe there is a future. The hanging part of the show is left for next season. I loved that show, but I think there should have run it for 2 seasons only. I really don't see how the show will take the rope off its neck. Peter Quinn perhaps ?

Flag
This show is done. Killing one of the main characters? What were the writers thinking. I agree with other posts....there are many ways they could have kept Brody in...how about continually redeeming himself as an undercover CIA agent. I don't want to even watch the show next year and I am sure I am not alone in this way of thinking. The only good thing writers did was get rid of whining Dana. Ratings will be way down next year and I think next year will be the last year. What a shame. This was right up there with the show "24" . Imagine killing off Keifer? Or how about killing of Nuckie on Boardwalk Empire. They won't because they are too smart. The writers for Homeland should get a 75% pay cut for their stupidity. I hope Brody gets a part in another series that runs at the same time as Homeland so we can all watch him in his new show....that would be the only thing that would make me feel better about Brody's demise on Homeland. I hope the nutso writers for Homeland read these posts. When a show is successful, they should ask views how they would like to see future seasons play out....if the writers really want some good input for future writings.
More+
Flag
I agree, killing Brody killed the show. If i think of it as a last episode of the show, it would have made sense but the show wouldn't carry without Brody. It is extra sad if showtime wanted the actor out.
Flag
The writers for Homeland should get a 75% pay cut for their stupidity.

You said it too.
Flag
THANK YOU...
Flag
Why is it so difficult for dumb people to just turn off their brain and enjoy something?
Flag
Wow. How long did it take you to come up with that one.

Homeland has no defense. Nice try, though.
Flag
Probably because their brains are already "off"
Flag
This show is so depressing. They let Brody die for the country that hated him, and didn't let him redeem himself in the ways that would have counted - like with his family. He was just another pawn in the game. It just makes sense now that the corruption and "death" cover-ups was why Brody wanted to blow them up in the first place, and then he died in a bigger cover-up. The president gave the orders to let him hang. He didn't get credit for any of it, and never got to see his baby. It really never gets better for any of the characters. We can't stand the depression of the show any longer. Brody's character really carried Carrie's weak character, so the death of Brody was the death of the show for us. We aren't going to watch next season.
Flag
I agree. Killed Brody, killed the show. You do not kill the main character if you do not want to end the show. Imagine watching Dexter without Dexter. What? For me, i take it as the last season. Its the only way it makes sense. It is not satisfying ending but if i think of it as an ending, it is still much better than Dexter's ending.
But yeah, with killing brody, they definitely killed the show.
Flag
Thats exactly what pissed me off too.
Flag
I did not love this season...I barely liked it. I will still give them a chance next year since I don't quit shows I love easily, it better improve. RIP Brody ;o(
Flag
TV.com, I'm counting on you to let me know if season 4 is any good, because I AM DONE.

Everything about this show is crackpot, even the fake belly was ridiculous. I saw the star coming a mile away and I half expected Brody to show up alive somewhere because that's the kind of show Homeland has become.

Carrie is the worst CIA agent ever: she gets romantically involved with a possible terrorist (which was good for season 1, but suuuucked for 2 and 3), she CANNOT TELL LIE and she cries all the time. No poker face for this one.

So, next year, if you guys tell me it has gone back to season 1 quality, I might watch it. Right now, there's a lot of other shows that can occupy my time (or maybe I can get some work done, heh?).
Flag
Well said.
Flag
Well that's almost certainly it for me with this show. Unlike many fans, I stayed positive through the slow and boring first episodes of this season, but this one eats the cake... not because it was too slow or boring, but because it made the first part of the season more of a waste than it already was. Seriously, we went through loads of Dana-centered episodes (my most hated character in the show), Carrie's asylum junk, and Brody's Venezuela ordeal for this!?!

RIP Homeland. Even Dexter's descent was more bearable than this.
Flag
Even Dexter's descent was more bearable than this.

Wellll, I don't know about that, but this season did bite the big weenie. It was awful. I'm guessing Lewis is doing the happy dance at being out of this crap show with its crap writers and its crap showrunner.

Thanks to GC's Blowies poll, I'd have to rate my hate: Dexter, Homeland, and Enlightened. And I hated Enlightened with the heat of two suns. If I did well in math, I could extrapolate how much I hate Dexter. But I didn't, and I can't.
Flag
Put it this way... Season 4 has been widely considered the best season of Dexter, while the worst of Homeland. It's opinion in the end, but by that measure Dexter's quality lasted longer than Homeland's.
Flag
You all say that Brody had to die to make things more close to the reality?... This is a tv show people, nothing is real here!!! And by the way, the most interesting episodes of this season are 3, 9, 10, 11 and...........12. I will not be surprise if they kill Carie in the next season.
Flag
if they kill Carie in the next season.

That would be nice.

Who will raise her baby? Chris Brody?

:O)
Flag
I feel this show has run its course and if it continues for another season it will be as stupid as other shows ie CSI MIami ,The Wallowing RIP Homeland
Flag
Quite true. As much as I love to hate shows, I think this is it for me.

Maybe. If it still annoys people that I kvetch so much, I'll be back.
Flag
The show was amazing when it first started. It had some silly and bad moments, including S3 as many have said, but all in all, it's great, thoughtful TV. Nothing came even close before it. When you look at some of the other intense Fed-agency dramas like The Following, and their plot holes (with me yelling at the seasoned FBI agents "Get away from the door, you stupid $*%%*$%!" you come away with the knowledge that Homeland is still one of the best shows on TV. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.
Flag
Take away Carrie's pregnancy and promotion and the show could have ended right there. The show was never about Carrie, it was about Carrie and Brody. Notice the upswing once they worked him back into the plot? Bringing a sense of finality to Brody's arc was always going to be the most logical thing to do. It worked out great because you can't get any more final than death and you can see everything Brody did led him to that point and he knew it. However, they should have wrapped up Carrie's arc at the same time, and the show with it, not necessarily by killing her, but certainly not by squirreling away a couple of unintersting plot nuts for the next season. I don't want the next season to be four episodes of baby drama before some semblance of a plot emerges.
Flag
Notice the upswing once they worked him back into the plot?

Yup. Notice how quickly everyone (well, not I/me whatever the fuck the correct grammar is) forgot that the first 30 episodes from this season sucked and blew at the same time? This season was NOT a Brody season, it was a suck season and a boo-hoo Brody perp walk few episodes.

The hanging was brutal and sensationalistic and unnecessary and Gansa the asshat should have given the character a hood. He shat on the audience with the finale (but only less so than the Dexter finale and the poster at AVClub who doesn't like the comparison of Homeland and Dexter can bite me).

However, they should have wrapped up Carrie's arc at the same time, and the show with it,

You are 1000% correct, but greed is good, and America is all about greed and money, and the American television viewing audience is comprised of morons.
Flag
Best episode of the series so far. I feel sorry for Brody as he could not solve anything in his life, rather he destroyed the lives of his family members. Anyway I am a happy ending type guy
Flag
There was always an end for Brody and in this eppy, he seemed to welcome it. I actually respected Javadi's conversation with Carrie when he told her not to pretty much "mess-up" Brody's peace. I almost found myself liking Javadi, then I remembered who he was and what he did to his wife and daughter-in-law and I settled on disliking him once again. In away Javadi is similar to Brody in that respect. Brody was hard to like in some moments, and then there were other moments were the "empathy" button was pushed and I just wanted Brody to be that Marine he always wanted to be. This was a good eppy; however it felt like the end of the actual series. I guess next season will be a sprinkle of familiar faces and new faces, sort of like 24 use to do. Farewell to Mr. Lewis, his acting will be sorely missed on this show, but I get why his character had to be ended.
Flag
javadi was never like brody, brody was a marine that was captured and tortured and brain washed for soooooooooo many years... you can not compare javadi to brody... javadi was thinking of himself if brody and carrie escaped he wouldve been in deep shit as he couldn't have capture the person responsible for akbaris death... so he wouldnt have got the top job... javadi is a theif and murderer and as for his pep talk with carrie, great.... he tried to convince carrie not to persue brody and allow her people in CIA see him for who he really is...well im sorry, that was just bull bloody shit they didnt recognised it nor appreciated what he did, still saw him as a terrorist with a vest...didnt even mention his name or clear his name not even in private to his family... the whole shenannigan was just disgraceful...
they are keeping soul in as a contractor next season hoping the rating would pick up...
hope they crash and burn...
unless alex gansa realize what cluster f@#k his decision was and bring brody back... not holding my breath
Flag
taking the comment too literally. I was referring to how I felt about them, I liked Brody at times but than remembered what he wanted to do and what he had done....so I didn't like him as much. When Javadi was talking to Carrie he made sense, then I remembered who he was and what he did...and wondered why was he still breathing. Sorry that wasn't clear in post.
Flag
sorry dear :))) still pissed off at the ending and alex gansa :)))
Flag
After all this bitching about how this should/could never have ended in another way, because it would be unrealistic otherwise, is this really the "realistic" end which their supporters are trying to sell us?

While Saul was seemingly disgusted by the CIAs/Lockharts/... action that (as he said) he would "never" come back to the CIA, what was Carries reaction?

Lockhart has Brodys blood on his hands - the man she loved, her soon born babys father, and she goes like: Hey, no hard feelings, of course I will work for you, thank you so much for the promotion. I don't want this baby anyway.

Who wouldn't react like her, right?!

After the (for a lot of viewers) undoubtful most sympathetic character of this show gone, and Carries morally changed attitude in the end, who are we supposed to care about to even want to watch a season 4?
Maybe Lockhart, because we are "supposed to think" that he's actually "a nice" guy".

To think the shows writers are able fix this (in my mind) now broken show, that is truly unrealistic!
Flag
Who wouldn't react like her, right?!

Aren't we supposed to accept that she's a bi-polar off her meds who disobeys orders given by her superiors and gets a promotion because of the excellent work she's done since she went off her meds, and thus buy into anything the writers are shoving down our throats?

No, didn't think so.

As so many have said here and elsewhere, Season Four for those who choose to watch it will be a completely different show, and Gansa et al shat on us (that was mine) this season.

And dear Hallelujah: yes, Brody the character being hanged should have had on a hood. Gansa did that simply for the sensationlism of it.

Flag
I get that Carries character had been writen as a tomboy before - unconventional in her methods - but in the end she got domesticated.

I can't see this as a victory "for her".

The only glimmer of disobedience left was her secretly scribbling a star on a wall (which will be erased as soon as it's discovered).
Done after nightfall, when noone was "on watch",
as was the writers change of her character from a Don Quixote like archetype into the loyal Sheriff of Nottingham, who proudly serves the unethical management of the CIA.
Flag
It was, in her defense, 4 months later. A lot could happen between then to change her disposition on the issue of obedience, as it did to her stance on whether or not she should keep the baby. Which i hope she keeps.
Flag
lol...they just killed the man she loved... she had been following brodys sightings on her wall she was obssessed with him she couldve aborted the baby when she found out but as she said she was holding on the part of brody... so her reaction was not acceptable...forgiving lockhart?????and working for him???/ really?????/ and as for drawing star on the wall well she shouldve make sure it was a permanent marker not a pissy little pencil...
Flag
As an Iranian, I can't bring myself to watch this season,... so I am really glad that the story finished so I can start watching again next season,...
Flag
as an iranian which part of it you had problem with...the peoples reaction????/ you have to realise all descent iranian people have left iran and not all the people really react like that in iran... as an iranian that hasnt been there for more than 35 years it was sad to watch this season of the show... unless you havent seen the show from the begining next season would be great for you if you have seen it fro the start i wouldnt bother... and the reality istanbul very close to iran and now javadi there im sure there are going to show some more crap from iran...
but hope you enjoy the next season
Flag
First of all, I never ever doubt first episodes had to get to something good.

I still can't believe Brody is gone, but I know there was no other way. He had to die, otherwise he would become Jack Bauer LOL.

The good side of the story is that we don't get to see anoying Brody's family again (specialy Dana). And that is so obvious Pete Quinn will be her next honney.

I am sure that Carrie will give her baby away to her father. That works for me.

Flag
He didnt die, did u see what abu nazir widow did to the rope?? she knows about Javadi as Brody already told her, there was no other way for her to call akbari to meet with Brody...

So she is the coronel. I think the bom in season 4 opening episode will be Brody ressurection and the meet in Geneve will have to be bombed somehow....

AND JACK BAUER WINS

HHAHAHAH :P
Flag
so wish that was true.... :))) and jack bauer was awesome they tried to kill him too but they couldnt he was toooooo good
Flag
Do you realy think all that ??? Woww awesome hhahha

And yes, Jack Bauer will always wins !
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Well...I have criticized Homeland in my comments throughout the season but over all, I have to agree with Cory on evaluating this finale.

I am glad the killed off Brody, I think it was a good idea to let go of Dana and her mother. I have nothing against those two actresses - they made the best out of what they were given. And Damian Lewis is just simply amazing - he will get a new and different job and do amazing work on an other show.

I think it is was the best (and only) way to go for this series - to try a reboot. And for that you need a clean slate sort of. I hope the writers come up with a new, interesting and intriguing setup. And if they do I will be on board with Homeland for its 4th season. But it will be like a "new" series. Almost the same (similar) thing that "The Mentalist" did with the end of the RJ storyline.
On both shows I appreciate the effort.

I can understand why people were upset at the beginning of this season about the quality. And to not do what the show just did would mean more of the same in S4. And since NOBODY would want that, this is the better solution.

More+
Flag
One of the big problems I had with the finale is ......... Carrie was such a 'huge draw' that the Iranians sent Javadi over to recruit her, yet she manages to fly into Iran and walk about Tehran, and why don't they recognise her, because her hair is a little bit brown, yeh right.

Why have Brodie miraculously make it out of the office just to get killed later, oh yeh, so Carrie and Brodie could have one last moment/scene together at the safe house, terrible, it made what was about to happen even more obvious.
Flag
This show's just a propaganda piece for the military industrial complex and the CIA, it's an advert to get funding....... "oh there's evil Iranian terrorists out there planning to blow things up every week"............. it sells the idea that the ends justify the means, placing an 'asset' in another country is not worth 1 life, they let Javadi go when he'd just slaughtered two innocent women, one savagely with a glass bottle, yet Brodie, who was tortured for 8 years, thinks about blowing himself up but doesn't, and he's a cunt that can't be redeemed, come off it.

And why not try diplomacy and compromise with so-called rouge nations, nope, continue tit-for-tat, sanctions and covert operations - the CIA is the no.1 terrorist group in the world.
Flag
Really? Homeland is all that?

I just thought it was a suck piece of mindless entertainment.
Flag
Ha, maybe not, I wasn't suggesting that the show was specifically made for those reasons, just that it felt like it at times.

I agree that it's just entertainment, we probably shouldn't watch TV shows and think about the politics of real life, and I don't normally, I just switch off and view it as entertainment, it was just looking back at it, what happened was morally deplorable, like the CIA in real life. Although, programmes are not free from ideological content, they often reinforce certain ideologies whether they mean to or not. However, I should probably leave comments about the politics of real life for other boards and stick to the entertainment value, characters and plots of TV programmes on boards like TV.com.
Flag
Oh, I was being largely cynical. There are shows that make statements, but they're not usually pay channel (and never ever network or basic cable) shows that are being milked for every dime they are worth.

Shows that make statements are few and far between and are a breath of fresh air, but I have found they are mostly from the UK.
Flag
I'm very suprised how a lot of people can't understand why the show did what it did or that what they've done with Brody makes them want to give up on this show.

The first half of the season was strange. I couldn't understand why Carrie was being put through this and where Brody played into any of it. All we saw was one episode of him in Venezuela potentially becoming a drugging in a little box room.

The second Brody was pulled back in and how Javadi was going to play into Iran was a great move - I can now understand the slowness of the first several episodes.

I had no hope for Brody when I started watching this episode. What was left for him back in the States? He even said it himself - Nothing. The conversation between Carrie and Javadi was amazingly written and acted. It let us know why this kind of end for Brody was good for his character and for the CIA.

I'm glad Brody died. Yeah, Damian Lewis is incredible and the first two seasons were about him, but they don't have to be any longer.

His hanging had to be shown. The viewers had to be shown that his story had come to an end. He was described as a cockroach and I completely agree that he is to an extent. If he was in season four then what next? Explain to the US citizens how he wasn't the bomber but made this video earlier which would raise more questions? Keep him a secret CIA operative? Pssht.

Bye Brody. Hello Istanbul.

More+
Flag
I have to agree with you wholeheartedly and unequivocally.
Flag
Just thought I'd bring your attention to an interview on TVGuide.com (sorry, guys) with Homeland creator Alex Gansa. Even he's confused about the future of the show going into Season 4. He does state that Saul and Carrie will still be part of the cast. He also states that the decision to kill off Brody was made before Season 3 began. Read it and draw your own conclusions.
Flag
yes read it the decision and the writing both sucked...there was no reason for it they couldve made it work why not carrie lose the child but keep brody and they both couldve worked in istanbul... still think alex gansa sucks ass he made a BAD decision...the only good decision was getting rid of dana and the mother again everyone hated them cause of the story line they couldve getting the better story lines or even better yet they all couldve moved to another country...but not killing brody
Flag
Well, since S3 just ended, I am not suprised that he doesn't know yet where the show is going. Its not like the operate from existing material - unlike i.e. GoT.

What Gansa actually said concerning the future story of the show was: " However, what that is, I'm not sure and won't be sure for the next couple of months until we convene the story room again and start talking about this."
Flag
So Brody dies and redimes himself. I`m ok with that but I can't believe that the series will continue without him. There's no homeland without Brody, we all know that.

And what about Carrie leaving her baby just to keep the series going on? I can't buy that.

I hardly ever give up a series but I'm doing it this time. Not interested in season four.
Flag
For me, there should be, can't be, even, an S4 with no Brody. From the start this was Brody's show, with Carrie playing a great second part. The number of episodes in S3 without him was disappointing, having to wait till the next week to see if he appeared. I really hated the end that they had for Brody - really spoiled the show for me; the hanging scene was too disturbing (and I'm not squeamish!) and the end left too much unsaid. Maybe Llostris is right, and that they should have stopped at S2. But I doubt I'll be watching S4, unless Brody comes back ;-) (Maybe Javadi organised a rigged execution, and the rope didn't go tight....!) No show without Punch, and no Homeland without Brody.
Flag
I thought it should have finished at the end of S2, but I really enjoyed the first half of this series, I don't agree with the review that the finale redeemed the beginning, the beginning didn't need redeeming, I was appalled that the CIA sold Carrie out and put her in the loony bin, I never knew it was a play, it was good.

I agree on the Brodie point too, it was too obvious, everyone knew Brodie was going to die, I think it would have been better if he got back to America, was cleared of any wrong doing and the flash forward was 8 months later, with Brodie and Carrie bringing the baby up together, the end, no series 4.
Flag
Even though this arcticle is well written, i dont agree its a reboot in a full sense of the word. Probably next season will be about some "huge" threat that will bring the main characters together again, even Saul, but it just wont be the same again and theres high possibility, that from this time on, this show will be more on a life support than anything near its past quality.

About the Brody explanation to the US public, i would like clarification there too. My opinion is that they cleared his name from the CIA bombing and actually credit him for the killing of that iranian guy - because why else would Carrie ask for the Brody star and if what i think is false, the argumentation of Lockhart, why he doesnt give the star would be totally different. (he woulda mention that by publicly giving the star, they would uncover some secrets and he would use this argumentation because it would hurt less Carrie)
Flag
That's the impression I got too, that they cleared him of the CIA bombing, but again, clarification would have been nice. I agree with the first paragraph too, life support from here on out, although, I did think that at the end of S1 and S2 and they surprised me, I didn't see where they could go with the story but they ended up doing a good job (apart from the last two episodes).
Flag
That music at the end and during the credits was everything. Sean Callery composed something that was simple, but merged so well with the gravitas of the scene and left me stunned. Wow.
Flag
The whole 3rd season, including the finale, was terrible. I really can't belive how much this show has fallen. We don't need season 4 - in fact they should have finished Homeland after season 2 (which was really good).
Flag
Laura Fraser, Lydia in Breaking Bad, was cast as Brody's wife in the pilot but the producers re-cast her out the door for the first season. Talk about dodging a bullet...
Flag
I still have the hanging (not hung, folks, come on!) image in my head. Did they put in a warning at the beginning of the show, or do they assume this American audience is inured to this kind of violence?

Anywho, I think the majority of posters here and elsewhere are in agreement: that was a VERY unnecessary scene and Homeland, which already blew, will swallow in Season 4.

That is all.

Well, for now.
Flag
How the fuck did Javadi get out of this shit unharmed?!
That man is really bothering me.
Flag
It didn't redeem the season for me because I loved it since day one, even before day one when the first episode leaked. Funny how quickly you guys go from bitching to bumming the show, oh well. Maybe next season you guys could have a bit of faith though?

See that Cory? You were all "Carrie doesn't deserve to keep her job" and then *BAM* she get's the promotion (that she was promised in the season 2 finale). Told ya! lol i'm just fuckin with ya, I know what you meant. Hopefully see you next year? Have you been renewed for season 4 yet?
Flag
About as quickly as the show went from reasonably good to completely ridiculous.
Flag
WHAT THE FUCK. WHAT.THE.FUCK. I CAN'T EVEN
Flag
Good job Corey. Thumbs up on how they played this out on Homeland. Instead of a ridiculous escape from Iran, a more realistic and sensible in the grand game plan finish. RIP Brody, you went out a hero even if the general public will never know, Carrie and Saul will.
Good season after the slow start. Not sure how they'll do a 4th season but a fresh new arc is available and no Dana Brody to muck it up. Good stuff.
Flag
a more realistic and sensible in the grand game plan finish.

Why? The rest of the season wasn't realistic or sensible. Why not Brody getting away?

Good season? Really? Et tu, geoff?
Flag
Lucky me that I stopped watching at ep 2, but kept enjoying the reviews here. Now that I know The End, I am perfectly aware that I am not going to watch any further seasons. And I wonder: who will?
Flag
Why did they not just end the show there? This season was terrible, I struggled to keep watching, it was only towards the end that I Slightly enjoyed it.

This show doesn't need a 4th season.
Flag
Well, I disagree on many grounds - but to just name one:

It is a well-established brand name and succesfull business. You don't just give that up for no good reason. Even (or maybe because) this season was weak, you try to reboot the series and keep your business alive - at least try to.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members