A Homeland Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime

Homeland S03E05: "The Yoga Play"

ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! There, I'm finally at a point where I can stop smashing things over last week's insult of an episode. But that doesn't mean I've forgotten about it. Oh no. It doesn't even mean I have forgiven Homeland. This show is officially on notice, whatever that means. And until we get either a breakthrough episode like "Q&A" or "The Weekend" or a sustained run of high-quality hours, Homeland is television's programma non grata around these (my) parts. You'll have to trust me when I say I watched "The Yoga Play" with an open and objective mind free of leftover anger, and I found it to be an okay, occasionally maddening, minutely thrilling episode. In my mind, Homeland is still more non grata than grata. 

Yes, Carrie and Saul are working together in one of the craziest ploys the CIA every ployed, with Carrie's commitment to a mental ward, Saul's total burn on Carrie in front of the Senate, and the smear of Carrie's name all part of an elaborate plan to lure out the Iranians so that they'll welcome an agent with hurt feelings who might spill secrets like a drunk girl spills her martini. Before we move on, I'll try to quickly sum up my problem with this plan because it will forever be linked to this plot: It made so much of the first three and 99/100ths of Season 3's first four episodes not make a lot of sense, and it didn't justify them at all. (And yes, showrunner Alex Gansa confirmed that Saul and Carrie came up with this ruse mere days after the Langley bombing, months before the start of Season 3.) Okay. 

But it did put Homeland back on the road to being what it used to be, and because of that, I'm willing to expunge le twist from my brain and pretend the first four episodes of the season never existed. We're starting from scratch! And what we got from Carrie's new role as damaged CIA agent and Javadi pet was the cloak-and-dagger stuff we've been waiting for. The surveillance! Night vision! The late-night break-in and hooded abduction! It wasn't Homeland in its prime, but it was at least something more than Carrie shivering in a hospital gown or making popsicle-stick houses, and it put her right in the clutches of Javadi after an uncomfortable front-and-back body search that really pushed the limits of Claire Danes' no-nudity clause. It's what we all wanted, and the whole process was a lot rougher than any of us, especially Carrie, expected. (Or was it all just part of a ruse?)

It's a bummer that this development was all that came out of her and Saul's scheme, though, and that what was really essential to it only accounted for a tiny portion of "The Yoga Plan." There episode devoted most of its time to Carrie dodging tails in order to help Dana (more on that later), dealing with confusion over whether or not she was made (she didn't, we don't think), and following Javadi as he took advantage of America's lax borders and fastest food. Relatively speaking, the episode barely touched on last week's monster development: Carrie as a double agent. Was that all a way of getting us into the headspace of this dangerous game? Or was it all just stall tactics? If we'd learned something more substantial about Javadi while checking in with him other than that he has trouble getting food to go in his mouth, or if the fear of Carrie getting made had carried more weight, the middle portion of "The Yoga Plan" would have made more sense. Back in Homeland's heyday, when the show was moving at the speed of two seasons per episode, "The Yoga Plan" would have started with Carrie getting abducted and then 10 more things would have happened by episode's end.

Instead, Carrie got wrapped up in the Dana Brody mess. W-w-w-w-what? *sigh* Dana. Last week, America's teenage nightmare broke her fling out of rehab, smoked some Js, traded considerably down for a Camry, drank some bubbly in a graveyard, and pouted through a fence while calling her daddy a liar for the umpteenth time on a poorly planned cross-state joyride. But by the end of the episode, we at least had the satisfaction that Dana may have been in the clutches of a murderer. So what did "The Yoga Play" do with this story? Well, Dana heard on the news that Leo maybe murdered his brother, they got in a fight, and she ran to the cops and got taken home. So there was no Leo hacking Dana to pieces. Not that their runaway plot was ever going anywhere in the first place, but this story fizzled out, didn't it? And we're none closer to figuring out what we're supposed to be paying attention to with Dana this season. Her plot continues to be a sack full of mysteries. Mystery number one: what's the point?

But there was an effort to tie in Dana with the rest of Homeland's goings-on by having Carrie get involved. Why Jess would enlist the help of the woman who fucked her husband and had been smeared by the CIA  is beyond me. (Jess has turned on Fox News or CNN sometime in the last few weeks, hasn't she? And I'm pretty sure she guessed the identity of the mystery female CIA agent who was romantically linked to Brody.) Especially since she has has Mike, who has access to all types of resources and can make a MUCH better sandwich than Carrie. And why Carrie would risk her big secret mission to help Dana is also a decision I'll never be able to understand. But Carrie did, and in the end, risking her extremely covert op to ask Agent Hall to look for Dana was worth how much? Zero, because some regular beat cops in upstate New York found Dana when she ran right up to them. Unless this whole exercise turns into something later, I will sarcastically say "awesome writing, Homeland."

At least Saul had a good day, right? Noooope. Someone give this guy a hug. The interim CIA Director was invited out to shoot some animals with some Washington types, which Saul translated as a meeting to smooth him over for officially becoming the Director for real. Except that wasn't the case at all, and Senator Asshole (R-Obviously) let Saul know that he was going to be the Director, not him. And to rub it in, he shot Saul's bird! I kinda loved that. It must have taken all of Saul's willpower not to stick his shotgun in Senator Lockhart's mouth and squeeze the trigger, aka the Dick Cheney hunting specialty. Saul's speech "congratulating" Lockhart on the job at the stuffy, old, white-man party was a thing of beauty, peppered with just enough obvious "screw you, pal" undertones that it left a mark on Lockhart's backside. And all of Saul's points were valid; this was a power grab for Lockhart and he knows nothing about intelligence. But I love what this means for Saul. In his last weeks as Director of the CIA, he can be as risky as he wants AND steal as many highlighters and White-Out bottles as he can carry. It also sets Lockhart up for failure, at which point the CIA will be like, "Better call Saul!"

Saul's bad day got even worse when he learned the hard way about what happens when you go out of town on business and cut your trip short. Mira was wining and dining a handsome gentleman she worked with in Mumbai, and dammit Mira, go suck a tailpipe. Saul and Mira's marriage has always been half in the garbage, so I guess this wasn't surprising. It just hurt so bad. As long as Saul is in the CIA, this marriage is never going to get repaired. And based on how Saul went straight back to work, I'm guessing Saul's marriage to the CIA isn't going anywhere. Bummer of a day for Saul, but good for the series.

And so the third season of Homeland's second act began with nothing but trouble for everyone. Saul's looking at a demotion and a divorce, Carrie's been stripped and violated by her new (fake) employer, and Dana is single again. The series may be headed in the right direction, but it's doing so with a limp and more than a hint of confusion as the season was poorly planned. Homeland has wriggled out of messes before, but it's never faced a mess like this. 

WACKO SCRIBBLINGS FROM CARRIE'S "I HEART BRODY" DIARY

– After all that, Carrie is going off her meds again? Heeeeere weeeee goooooo aaaaagain. But if there's any situation where she'll need to avoid being mentally dull, this is it. Who knows, maybe she'll be so annoying and manic that Javadi leaves in frustration.

– So what was the point of Leo almost hitting that car while he was staring at Dana?

– "Brody's daughter, for fuck's sake." Exactly, Saul. 

– Puh-lease can we just follow Peter Quinn around instead? Mira to Peter: "Saul's just getting dressed." Peter: "What as?" And his reaction to learning about Carrie and Saul's plan? "Fuck me." I LOVE THIS GUY! 

– Or maybe just follow Virgil and Max?

– So... what's up with Nicholas Brody these days? Is he just wacking down smack as fast as Dr. Pedophile can bring it to him? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/20/2015

Season 5 : Episode 12

118 Comments
Comments (118)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I seriously dislike Tim's use of profanity in this recap. I don't mind if it's a direct quote from the show, but the use of "fucked her husband" was unnecessary and out of place. Yuck.
Flag
Twice they made me think in this episode Dana might die in a horrible car crash TWICE! Only to not follow through, errrrgh!!

Tim don't listen to the haters your review is spot on. In fact I was more entertained reading your review than I was watching this episode.
Flag
Late to it and guess I had EST when I wasn't looking, but I didn't hate this episode. Correction, I didn't hate the Dana actor.

Yup, hadda have been EST.

But seriously, it actually wasn't bad. It ain't Season One, but if I put on my stupid hat, I can finally watch it all the way through.

Seriously, Mrs. Saul? Who would DO that to The Lovely Beard?
Flag
I like Dana. She's meant to parallel Carrie. Leo is to Dana who Brody is to Carrie, it makes perfect sense to me. Carrie's desire to help Dana kicked in when she found out about Leo's dubious past. She knows what it's like to be in love with a two-faced man and she helped Dana out of a selfish impulse to make peace with the mess that was her relationship with Brody, in my opinion. She also sees Dana as a representation of herself, which is why she got so worked up about how the CIA was treating Dana like a child and not trying to help her. Carrie is alone, as Saul said in this episode, and she doesn't like seeing Dana in the same position.
Flag
Ok, it was a stretch but I could see the Jessica Brody asking Carrie to help find Dana thing working, because a desperate parent will do anything, even something as irrational and icky uncomfortable as asking your husband's mistress for help, to find/save a child. The police/FBI weren't taking Dana's disappearance seriously until Carrie intervened, then all of a sudden those two kids are all over the news, so I'd say Carrie's intervention definitely had an impact. I could also see Carrie doing something so stupid as running the Yoga Play for Dana because 1) she's Carrie and she does a lot of crazy stupid shit, 2) Carrie is in L-O-V-E love with Brody, bordering on obsession (she even found a hookup who looks like Brody, gross), and would do this to help his child, and 3) Carrie has her own tenuous connection to Dana and would want to see her safe. That is not to say I was happy with the amount of screen time devoted to the Dana storyline, again, but it was not utterly unbelievable.

Quinn, *sigh* Rupert Friend is making the weak points of this show totally worth it.
Flag
I like this show because I can see some familiar faces from Stargate SG1.
Flag
I've never thought one hour could be so long that they have to stuff some garbage into it to make it looked like a whole episode.
Flag
Saul: "How do I look?" (dressed for duck hunting)
Quinn: "If I were a duck I'd be worried."

LOL
Flag
I think it's clear after 5 episodes in, and the plot still just limping along, it's time to state the obvious: homeland's success was/is all about Carrie and Brody. So can we please bring Brody back into the fold and get on with the show? It looks like things might be getting back on track but geez at this rate Carrie's going to be saving the world with a zimmer frame! And more Peter Quinn please...
Flag
Regarding the review here it seems I saw the "extended cut" version of this episode. Isn't there something missing?
Flag
What did he miss?
Flag
There is no mention of Javari knowing about Carrie's yoga-shenanigans. That is what he said to her in the very end of this episode. That is what I think about til the next episode. Important to me, not so much to others I guess.
Flag
I'm still hoping that we'll all think back on this start of season 3 and think "Oh, man. We never saw that coming. That's some incredibly clever writing, with Dana on the run and everything else tied in sooo good..."

But probably not. And I'm seriously wondering what the people in charge are thinking. Do they really think we want to watch Dana's no-relation-to anything-else joyride story instead of suspenseful spy-stuff by Brody, Carrie and Saul? Does anyone? Seriously?
Flag
To be fair, I think that Dana heard about her BF on the radio because Claire convinced agent Hall to search for her wich resulted in the radio broadcast. So her yoga-adventure did result in something, even if it was unrealistic.
Flag
Dana heard about her BF because she saw a report on a small TV in the convenience store where she bought her water bottle. Funny, these TV's in convenience stores are popping up more and more in television shows lately.
Flag
Barring some other crazy trickery, this is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally poor writing!!!

Why, why, why would Carrie risk all that hard work and planning for Dana fucking Brody?? It makes no sense. (personally, I wouldn't even risk a pack of fruirt snacks for her) Oh, I get it, we're supposed to swallow this stupidity cuz Carrie is off her meds gain...sigh....So basically Dana Brody just screwed over the entire country with her tripolar shenanigans.... and her demented subplot fizzled out and meant nothing anyway.....Why Homeland writers, why????
Flag
Well, it really does suit Carries split personality. She is capable of enduring half mental hell for the love of her country, and at the same time can't stay away of risking it all cause of THE LOVE for BRODY. It is his DAUGHTER god dammit!

I don't say that it is a plot change I'd voted for, but Carrie's carrot sure is there!
Flag
I like that Claire Danes made a Romeo & Juliet reference
Flag
she did?? where?
Flag
oh wait, when talking about Dana and Leo, right?
Flag
Dana is so pointless. Everything about her storyline is annoying to me; and exactly, what was the point of her BF almost hitting that car when he was staring at her? I want her shipped off to some boarding school in hopes that we will never see her again.

I do love Quinn and everything he does though. He seemed so uninterested in the whole scene with Mira and Saul about the duck hunting, it was great. I would watch a whole episode of him, Virgil, and Max just running around doing surveillance- I love them.

Overall-- decent episode... we just need Dana to leave.
Flag
Anyone else like the Romeo and Juliet reference lol I loved Claire Danes in that movie!!!
Flag
Ofcourse I noticed. It stuck out like a sore thumb in this mess of an episode. Sorry love R&J and Claire Danes but this episode sucked. Oh well, at least the it gave the "Romeo & Juliet" Blu-Ray sales another boost following "American Horror Story" very own R&J endorsement in the season 3 opener "Bitchcraft". So is Baz Luhrman now paying these show runners salaries? *sigh* Should've watched "Romeo & Juliet" last night.
Flag
People sure seem to spend a lot of time watching a show they claim to hate... I still enjoy Homeland and hope there will be plenty of seasons, and I accept the fact that not all seasons will be top notch all the way through, for example - Dexter, season 1 & 4 was the absolute best! I think people should give Homeland's 3rd season a chance, perhaps it's a build up to season 4. But I will point out one thing I don't like - Dana, she is getting way too much screen time, I'll rather watch Carrie flushing her pills for half an episode then watch Dana whine. But that is pretty much my only complain so far.
Flag
Since you referenced Dexter, I think it's important to watch (especially Showtime programs) with a bit of skepticism how the show is progressing. Homeland still has hope but I really really doubt it'll ever approach the level it was at in Season 1. Dexter was the same way, as you pointed out, S1 and 4 were great. S2 was good as well even with cuckoo Lela spoiling it a bit, but they went south from S5 and the final season was absolute dog shit. I hope Homeland knows where it's going and cuts its losses long before Dexter did. I am worried though as it appears Showtime has a tendency to meddle and not in a good way....
Flag
I actually thought the episode was the most stupid episode of the season so far. Dana's storyline proved to be as meaningless as Kim Bauer's storylines in 24 second season to stay in the spie's world (but Homeland only has 12 episodes so it says a lot if they still need to find such kind of storyline to fill one episode) and the ending of her road-trip was particularly anti-climatic. I especially liked how she got into the car for no reason before throwing the over-used line "stop the car!" two seconds later.

Seeing her mother showing up on Carrie's doorstep didn't make any sense neither, nor did Carrie trying to save Dana by threatening her entire operation....
To put things in a simpler way: Homeland is now a very clumsy show.
Flag
I don't share your strong disappointment, but I loved that you compared with Kim Bauwer LOL - I still think that Kim character was a lot worse than Dana and a lot more annoying, but it is significant that Homeland also felt compelled to include a teenage girl receiving a lot of focus in a spy story. Someone just pointed out to me recently in a different thread that one of the reasons cable shows are usually better is because they don't have to comply with "family needs" in their stories. Well, if including a teenage daughter as a main character in a spies shows is not complying with mass market needs, then I don't know what is.
Flag
Kim Bauer had the advantage over Dana Brody in that Elisha Cuthbert is seriously hot. Morgan Saylor, not so much.

If your target audience includes young men, having a hot chick running around (nearly)always helps ratings. Particularly if she plays 'damsel in distress', like Kim did most of the time.
Flag
Morgan Saylor is also set as eye candy for many male viewers, believe it or not. I have at times discussed Dana with other males here that actually like her too, over the fact that she is a fastidious character (and that was last year, when I was really fed up with the whole hit-and-run story line).

I think the teenage girls (both Dana and Kim) are there to target both male and female young audiences.
Flag
Saul`s speech has been the best thing in season 3 , and the watchable segment..I hope they aren`t going to do a Dexter because analysing some things going on it feels like season 8....
Flag
I am done with Homeland. The last show had be giving it a thumbs-down on my TIVO and removing my season pass. 'Tween the kids, the over-acting of Carrie, lack of Brody, and the hunting (why hunting?), I frankly don't care what happens to the lot of them. And please, does every show have to have kids? It worked with the Sopranos. It does not work with Homeland or Ray Donovan. People take to the TV to escape. Imagine kids running around the deck of the Enterprise?
Flag
We don't have to imagine it.
Ensign Crusher on TNG and Naomi Wildman on Voyager.

Both easily the most annoying characters on their respective shows.

Just like Dana.
Flag
i think they had leo nearly hit the oncoming car as a way of making the audience think that he may still want to "share" the experience of suicide w/ someone....just a thought
Flag
And Dana had a hit and run experience last season that probably relates to this as well.
Flag
good pick up, i forgot all about that
Flag
I don't get what the writers are thinking this season, at least in season 2 at least they knew they wanted a Carrie/Brody relationship because eeeveryone wanted that, and then they just made up a bunch of nonsense around that... This season, it seems like they want Carrie off her meds to an extent... But that's it.

Everything else is completely useless and they're trying to make something out of nothing, Dana has relationship problems and the sads, Brody is sad because he's been framed (I still think he did it) and goes for the heroin, Saul is trying to do work stuff that no one cares about. I want a better main plot, and I NEED better subplots.
Flag
Its sad when you can't trust the writers anymore. I loved the first 2 seasons, for the most part, but this year is so full of plot holes, it's just pathetic.
Flag
At the end of the episode, Saul said "We are back in business" ! This seems to be the writers telling us they are back ! Lets hope they are and we can still savage what is left of season 3.
Flag
This episode was an improvement. I actually had some things to look forward to. Yeah the Dana Brody stuff ended up going nowhere (For now) and no we don't need her taking up 15 of every 50 minutes of a Homeland episode. I will give Morgan Saylor (who has been pummeled on these blogs) props for her acting AFTER she got back home. I don't dislike her, I just don't want so much of Dana's story.
Good work, again, by Quinn. Javadi story line has promise and I like that Saul is back in the subversive underdog role. He doesn't have to be the dick that makes the buck stops here decisions anymore. Makes him more likeable.
Flag
Hah, name calling: "Better call Saul!" But Please do so, every referral to BB and making me think about the joy I had on that series is great!
Flag
This was a much better episode, no doubt. I can also suscribe to more Peter Quinn, Homeland, if you please?
Flag
Quinn is only healthy to the show in small but well placed doses. Increase the level of Quinn and we have yet another useless agent show in our laps. The very essence of Quinn is showing up unexpected and quickly doing the dirty work. Spend time with him, and the thrill will wear off.
Flag
yes, please show give us the opportunity to get tired of Quinn
Flag
Although being a man, I agree with you. He is way different from last season where his allegiance was not known.
Flag
I'm pretty much done with Homeland. Last season was terrible and this season it's gone totally off the rails.

Carrie is always a hot mess, but her risking months of undercover work to get a fed to go after Dana was the dumbest thing I've seen since the Brody and the tailor roadtrip.

The annoying senator for director thing is a snooze fest before it begins.

What I do enjoy watching is Quinn, give this guy his own show.
Flag
And FYI, Homeland is still WAY better than Under the Dome.
Flag
If you use Under the Dome as a yardstick, ANYTHING is better than that
disappointing soap opera.
Flag
and still WAY better than S8 of Dexter or S1 of The Following!
Flag
Trying to gets some thumbs up?
Flag
Hi Chris! I´m happy that we got to meet you again this week. Some nice scenes. I can´t wait for what´s in store for you my friend.
Flag
I´m still reading the reviews waiting for something, some story with Nicholas Brody, but NO. Nothing. So still no reason to watch this...
Flag
I really thought they were going to waltz through the Dick Cheney door and have the evil senator guy shoot his best friend because he thought he was a duck or something. For shame, you bottled it Homeland writers, for shame...
Flag
Last season I remember being amazed at how much story they were able to pack into a single episode. Sometimes it felt like I'd just sat through a 3-hour feature, story wise. They would have gotten where they are now in 1 - 1½ episodes.
It is unbeliveably slow now. Not that slow is nessecarily bad, but this is really plodding along.

Is Quinn, the professional assasin, the only good guy on the show?
It seems like it.

How come, in America, only women do yoga? At least on TV.
Flag
When the Dana thing was going on and everyone was complaining, i thought "stick with it, they're building to something" somehow it's going to bring Brody back, maybe even the kid will kill her and Brody would have to come home... i don't know. The damp squib with which the whole story seems to have ended is bewildering.
Flag
Don't forget the sexting photo she sent her BF. I don't think Dana is over.
Flag
It can't be over, I feel there must have been some reason for it all
Flag
When I watched Carrie dumping her meds at the start I thought, "Oh ,shit!" So when she was abducted at the end I thought, "Here we go!"

In my opinion, the Dana story line has to do with her reconnecting with Brody. I have no idea how that's going to happen, but it would make sense. You see, he is the only one who hasn't lied to her. She thinks he has, but he hasn't.

Saul's reaction when he came home early to find his wife having dinner with some random dude. He's like, "Whatever." Now he's going to need Quinn to help him find Carrie. It's good Carrie knows Quinn is on the case. She will make that work for her.

So Javadi's guys have Carrie. Saul and Carrie cooked this up. Quinn is in on the plan, Javadi has connections in Venezuela. Brody is in Venezuela. Dana is back home and needs to connect with Brody. That sound about right?

In for a penny, in for a pound. I got nothing better to do on Sunday night.
Flag
What a terrible episode, bugger all plot relevent happened that couldn't have been part of a more filled episode. The show is running in place.
Flag
I thought it was a decent episode in a decent season (minus Tower of David which lovers of bleak architecture loved but nobody else did) except for the continuing presence of Dana & Leo. I fear that's not completely over and that demonLeo will reappear whether as a stalker or having gotten Dana pregnant or some other horrifying daytime TV plot... Is it weird that I am happy every time Brody does NOT make an appearance? The show is better at this point when he is nothing but a ghost.

It was awesome to see Peter Quinn all cover ops, Virgil & Max and Saul in a hawkish environment shooting geese... Seriously? I thought some politician was going to shoot someone else in the ass... Saul's 'congratulations' were fantastic and I guess he will soon have to run the Carrie op outside of official channels? A bit like Carrie's op to spy on Brody back in Season 1...
Flag
've only watched the first season so far, but Dana's plotline this season sounds surprisingly similar to Elisha Cuthbert's in season 2 of 24. They just don't know what the fuck to do with her. Hopefully she gets a job at CTU, uh the CIA, in Season 4. It worked for 24.

Flag
No way was Carrie made. That would have undone the last episode, which in turn undid the first three. Even Homeland wouldn't be that stupid.

"Better call Saul". You'd been wanting to say that for a while, huh?

At least they picked the only character anyone still cares about as the audience surrogate. "Fuck me". Exactly what we were all thinking, dude.
Flag
This was shitty, all kinds of shitty. Not even Dexter had such a sudden and drastic drop in quality.
Flag
Sorry I have to disagree with you vehemently. S8 of dexter did redefine the term, craptacular. It is such a drop off from the quality of the first half of the seasons there isn't another show to compare. The only thing Homeland currently shares with the last season of Dexter is a Sunday night slot on Showtime!
Flag
I agree with you about season 8 but which was the last good one? Season 4. That's four years of decline. It wasn't a sudden decline, but a drastic one. Homeland, on the other hand, went from sometimes a little crazy and sometimes crazy good (State of Independence versus Q&A) to disastrous.

Nothing this season has caught my interest. The big bad villain is a blank sheet. Carrie's crazy. We knew that since the first episode. Brody's basically out of the picture. Quinn's not a main character. Saul almost is, but somehow they managed to make this fan-favorite an incredibly boring bureaucrat who is too stupid to check his new super-secret translator's background.

I apologize for going on this rant but at least Dexter let us down slowly.
Flag
Staff
Dexter's last season set a new standard for suck. I find it somewhat hard to believer Homeland has bottomed out that much in such a short amount of time.
Flag
As we were getting into espionage again this week I kinda liked it. At least it felt a bit like going into the right direction again. Making a turn always is slower then the speed you can gain afterwards.

The Dana storyline, as boring as it is, even feels worse if they're setting her up for some turn. If so, they're not doing it very clever as almost nobody seems to be interested in her anymore. Just as clever as the first four episodes were in setting up that last two minutes last week.
Flag
I don't know what to say about the Dana-plot except for being relieved it came to an end, hopefully. I'll just ignore the episode wasted precious minutes with this because the rest was pretty decent. I can't explain why Quinn so badly wants to help Carrie and him just being infatuated with her doesn't work for me. He's been very weird when it comes to her for the whole time he has been on the show and I expect some kind of explanation.
Flag
Indeed, Quinn seems to be in total awe of Carrie, and we don't know him enough to understand his reasons. But there have been quite a few scenes already to make us aware of that, so I suppose it is important.
Flag
Last season Quinn had a great line where he said, "I kill bad guys", or something similar, to the, now dead, director.
I think his interest in Carrie is that he believes she is one of the few 'good guys' left and wants to protect her.
I really hope it isn't a romantic interest.
Flag
Are you going for the romantic angle or did you think of something else?
Flag
I don't know, actually - the way it appears, romantic is the easier answer. But as chrelle66 says above, maybe it is just affinity for the tough cookies that are also the good guys. Or something related to his past that we haven't been told about. What do you think?
Flag
Lol, people still watch this show? I think the SNL parody pretty much sums up how dumb and poorly-written this show is. (Yeah, cuz people fall madly in love with married fickle-indecisive terrorists all the time. And of course Dana is relevant to the plot, -nod, nod-)
Flag
SNL should have done a parody of Dexter.
Flag
Dana's plot really has been regrettable, and the decision to bring Carrie into it in "The Yoga Play" wasn't a good one, but at least it's over now, right?

For a second there I thought Dana and Leo would miraculously crash into Javadi, and while that would have been very lazy writing, at least everything that had happened to Dana this season would have had an actual point, but anyway.

Did anyone else think that news story about their runaway was weirdly descriptive, enough so Dana found out about Leo's involvement in his brother's death? Now that there, was lazy writing.

Saul doesn't deserve a hug. Only an arrogant man would think that his invitation to something like that was all a big set up for the announcement of his promotion. Someone has to be very self-centred to think that way, and the way Saul reacted, he definitely thought that's what was happening. And his congratulations speech? A bitter and spiteful attempt to make himself feel better, but to me, he just came across as pathetic. I can't believe what they've done to his character.
Flag
Tim, it's obvious Homeland hasn't suspended your disbelief with Carrie and Saul's plan leading up to this point in the series, and that's fine, but you should probably refrain from focusing your review on said plot. Yes, it's innately linked with the series' progression now, and if you think the show needs to earn back your trust, again, that's fine, but don't waste valuable discussion time on what you hated about all the episodes prior to this one in this season when it's this episode you should be discussing. It would make for a much better and more enjoyable review, I think.
Flag
Exactly, especially as he continues to pass off his opinion as the general consensus when the comments section of last weeks review show show many people disagreed with it. A reviewer can only and should only express opinion, it is infuriating when they come across like they are saying what everyone else is thinking
Flag
Tim is right to a degree that it was somewhat annoying the way it played out. Personally I was just happy the show got back on track. I'm not made about that twist at all. What I am annoyed about and it's water under the bridge is that it took 3.99 episodes to get there. In a 12 ep. season that's waaaayyy too long and is a concern about how much actual quality material they have to present this season...
Flag
My guess is they have very little and there is why they have wasted almost 4 episodes.
Flag
Carrie is planning to be undercover, yet thinks it's a good idea to be crazy--a craziness that means mania and lack of inhibition, none the less? I am so confused right now.
Flag
Peter Quinn though. Fantastic.
Flag
Peter Quinn for the win.
Flag
Ugh can you imagine this season without him? The only highlight for me, except maybe Virgil who is back but is too much of a "cameo character" at this point to make up for the rest...
Flag
One interesting side issue from tonight that could become a major is SenatorR-Asshole cum Director's intense dislike of 'that madwoman'.
Carrie is gonna be in more shit than a Newtown Creek duck if the Iranians still have her when dick cheney's dick takes over the cia.
You just know he's gonna declare everything about the operation tainted because of her involvement.
Then we'll see some big time gurning from Claire Danes, her insanity mumming has been rather more subdued, despite episodes showing her being in a looney bin, if she's off her meds and neck deep in the doo-doo Danes will feel obliged to pull out all the stops.
Flag
The popularity of this show can be measured by the number of the comments on this post : 14 in 6 hours, a third of it garbage. What has Homeland become?
I personnaly haven't watched this episode ; I was waiting to read about it, see if was worth my time. Apparently, it isn't.
Flag
Like a lot of people here, I didn't comment until the following day. DVR'd it and watched before going to bed. I'm on the West Coast too, more East Coasters who watched any sports would do the same no doubt. This ep. was fine and the show is back on track. Will it be any good again? I don't know, but I stuck through the last season of Dexter so by that measure there isn't a bad show on television..
Flag
Being European/Dutch, had to download it (which is legal in our country), so there was no sports competition involved. When I woke up on Moanday morning it was waiting on my NAS (there is some time difference so it is aired when I'm vast asleep).
Flag
Like Rolamb said, it is worth it - I do not understand why everyone's suddenly gone anti-Homeland. This was a solid episode esp. the Carrie undercover op & Saul struggling through poisonous political waters.... And also true the Dana&Leo scenes are cringeworthy...
Flag
It's worth it, but do as I do: really fastforward the Dana stuff (inclding Carrie trying to help her), fastforward the in between stuff and just look at the Saul, Quin and the last fifteen minutes Carrie stuff.
Flag
Thanks for the advice ! That or I'll watch it while grading essays ...
Flag
Why the heck is Dana still getting screen time. This is seriously pissing me off. Is she like sleeping with the shows producer or something? Unless she dies a horrible violent death this is just dragging the show down ALOT.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members