A Homeland Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime

The first five episodes of season 2 was probably my favorite run of TV last season. Instead of resting on their laurels after winning an Emmy, the Homeland writers turned everything upside down. They could easily have kept Brody's identity a secret for a full season, but episode 5's "Q&A" gave Carrie a much needed, if painful victory.

Then things got complicated... Brody's double agent position resulted in some torturous logic and while the Blackberry conversation with Abu Nazir probably takes an unfair amount of flak (we've seen worse from TV), it was pretty clear that the writing took a step down in the second half.

What did you think? And what do you expect for season 3?

Comments (7)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Staff
I'm leaning towards NOT continuing to watch. Yes the second half of s2 is to blame. It extends beyond the tech, dialog and ridiculous decision to kill of its bad guy. What I also had a problem with was that HOMELAND tries to make Dana a central character which comes off as deplorable and gives Chris Brody nothing to do besides check in once in a while.
Flag
Watching Claire Danes and Damian Lewis play those two amazingly complex and constantly evolving characters and their believable behaviour to extreme situations, is the main reason I watch this show. Also enjoy the fast pace of the plot and Mandy Patinkin's character, he deserves more recognition for his performance IMHO. So if season 3 has all that I will watch it and enjoy it a lot, even if the plot is not the most realistic. If I have to choose between realistic and interesting, I will always choose interesting. This a fictional TV show, it's not based on a true story and it's not a documentary.
Flag
Homeland's suspension of disbelief came under heavy scrutiny throughout Season 2, but I much prefer a Homeland that takes risks and throws everything into question over what I thought to be the incredibly tedious first season.

There are no shows I can think of currently airing, or previously for that matter, in which the plot has changed so drastically. If you were trying to describe to someone who had never seen the show before what it was about, what you would tell them at the beginning of series would be completely different and irrelevant to if you were describing it headed into Season 3.

It's this risky and fast-paced storytelling that makes me enjoy Homeland so much, so if I have to suspend my disbelieve at a bomb blowing up Langley, so be it, it makes for entertaining television.
Flag
Well, it's hard to speculate, but let's hope for season three to be a good one
Season two got a little bit unrealistic at the end, but it was still watchable so l don't think that season three will be bad, but i am not sure if it will be great
By the way is there a special place for suggestions or should we post them anywhere??
Flag
Suggestions for Community features? It would be great if you could add them in our overall announcement post: http://www.tv.com/news/guys-guys-the-next-batch-of-show-communities-is-here-arrested-development-community-person-of-interest-orphan-black-and-more-137289147116/
Flag
Done
Flag
Through the first one and half seasons we became accustomed to Homeland being a pretty special and unique show - it maintained the interest, gravitas and social relevance of the best dramas around while showcasing a guarana-fueled plot at break-neck speed. We quickly convinced ourselves that this was sustainable but maybe it wasn't, maybe it played out its hand too quickly.

I think we now have a show where the plot and character credibility is in conflict with the need for thrills and shocks, and if I had to guess I'd say that the thrills and shocks are more likely to be favoured than the plot and character credibility going forward. I wouldn't mind if they slowed it all down a bit but maybe that's not an option.

It's easy to be pessimistic but realistically Season 3 could go in any number of directions from off-the-rails silly to well-grounded. I may not be approaching it with the high expectations I did Season 2 but I'm keeping an open mind.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members