A Homeland Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime

If you're one of those people who thought Nicholas Brody should have been written off Homeland in Season 2, you're not alone. According to the series' writers, who recently discussed the topic at a TV Academy panel, that was the original plan, but the bigwigs at Showtime stepped in and decided it just wasn't his time. Oh, and the best part? They did the same thing in Season 1 when the writers were debating offing him. At this point, the series is going to end with everyone dead and Brody eating an ice cream cone somewhere on the shores of Barbados with Breaking Bad's Walt Jr. and that other weird Brody offspring who no one actually cares about. [THR]

BUSINESS TIME

... Jimmy Fallon's reign as host of The Tonight Show will begin on February 17, 2014, which is right in the middle of the 2014 Winter Olympics. If Fallon doesn't open the show in an ice-dancing costume complete with glitter, feathers, and sequins, then he has no business hosting anything, let alone The Tonight Show. And in case you've been worried about what will happen to The Roots, Fallon has confirmed that he'll be bringing the band with him to the 11:30pm timeslot. [On Air With Ryan Seacrest]

... I haven't really watched any of Netflix's Orange Is the New Black (I've been really busy with choir), so I don't know how this will affect the series, but if you're also behind, you might want to skip down to the next news item right now. In fact, if you really hate spoilers, you might want to consider staying off the internet all together until you've finished Season 1. Okay, here's the news: Laura Prepon, who plays Piper's ex/on-again, off-again girlfriend, is leaving the show after her character's arc is wrapped up early in Season 2. There is, however, a possibility for her to return. [Buzzfeed]

... The Emmys are still a little over a month away, but some awards are already being handed out. The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences has announced that several honors in animation, documentary, and costumes have been selected by juries and subsequently awarded. Winners include PortlandiaThe Simpsons, Adventure Time, and some other things you've never heard of. [THR]

... Last week I said I would never again write about wresting, but apparently I am a liar because E! has asked for six additional episodes of its new reality series Total Divas. The series revolves around WWE’s female wrestlers, who are apparently known as Divas. Gee, I can't imagine why. The order brings the episode count 14 episodes for Season 1. [Variety]

... I've been geeking out over this all day. The awesome nerds over at Google Maps have created the greatest easter egg in all of history by allowing you to go inside the Doctor's TARDIS, located on the map at Earl's Court Rd, London, Greater London SW5 9RB, United Kingdom. Labeled as a Police Telephone Box, you can enter the TARDIS by clicking the double arrows on the map. Right now you can only explore the bridge, but we all know there's so much more hiding behind those doors. [Blastr]

... ABC has given a script commitment to an as-yet-untitled new comedy executive-produced by Ed Helms (The Office). The project centers on a gifted but dysfunctional female attorney from the big-city who moves to a small town. Unsurprisingly, she experiences difficulty adapting to her new life. Please call me when this series is canceled so I can say I told you so. [THR]

CASTING NEWS

... Kiernan Shipka, who plays everyone's favorite Don Draper offspring, Sally, on AMC's Mad Men, has landed a role in Lifetime's upcoming original movie Flowers in the Attic, based on the controversial book of the same name. Shipka will play the eldest girl, Cathy. [Deadline Hollywood

... Dreama Walker (Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) has been cast as a mean girl on Fox's New Girl. She'll play Molly, one of the "cool" teachers at the school where Jess is temping/subbing. She thinks Jess is sucking up to the principal, probably not realizing that's just Jess's personality, and decides to do something about it. I'm seriously hoping it involves a Burn Book and the word fugly. [TV Line]

... Man, Eva Longoria sure is busy these days. In addition to the new series she has in development at NBC, Longoria will appear on the network's upcoming comedy Welcome to the Family. The role will reunite her with former Desperate Housewives cast-mate and on-screen husband, Ricardo Chavira. She will play Ms. Nunez, a teacher who has a history with one of her student's fathers, played by Chavira. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Kid Cudi has booked an upcoming guest spot on Fox's new comedy Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which is a lot funnier than you might expect given that it's a series starring Andy Samberg. Cudi will play Dustin Whitman, an ex-con who Samberg's character is convinced robbed a jewelry store. [THR]

... June Diane Raphael (NTSF:SD:SUV, New Girl) has been cast as the final piece in Parks and Recreation's Eagleton doppelgänger plot. She'll play April's (Aubrey Plaza) counterpart in the Eagleton parks department alongside Kristen Bell (Other Leslie), Sam Elliott (obviously Eagleton's answer to Ron Swanson), and Bill Eichner (Donna's equal). If you're wondering who has the unfortunate task of playing Tom Haverford's Eagleton twin, you'll have to wait to find out. Executive producer Mike Schur says that the storyline is a spoiler and refuses to divulge any more information. Please God, let it be Jean-Ralphio. Ben Schwartz—and Bell, for that matter—need to be released from the hell that is House of Lies. [TV Line]

... Rhys Ifans has been cast opposite Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Kathryn Hahn in Showtime's new comedy pilot Trending Down. Ifans, a BAFTA winner, plays Hoffman's boss, Jonathan Clow. The project is a blistering attack on our youth-obsessed culture, which offends me greatly because what's wrong with being obsessed with youth? Oh wait, unless that was a typo and they mean obsessed with youths, and then that's a serious problem that we should address immediately. [Showtime via press release]

... Janina Gavankar (True Blood, The League) has joined The CW's web series Husbands as a trophy wife who maybe possibly gives off the air of also being a potential murderer. Gavankar was also recently tapped to guest-star in Season 5 of The Vampire Diaries. [TV Guide

... Legendary actress Lauren Bacall has signed on to voice a character in the twelfth season of Family Guy. Though mostly known for her work on stage and the big screen, Bacall has appeared on TV a few times, including an appearance on The Sopranos. Bacall will play the best friend of Peter's recently deceased mother who eventually makes a few passes at Peter, because this is Family Guy and what else did you expect? [TV Line]

FILE THIS UNDER SUPER COOL

If you don't mind having the magic stripped away, you should watch this video that takes you behind the scenes of Game of Thrones and reveals the special effects used in various scenes in Season 3.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/20/2015

Season 5 : Episode 12

67 Comments
Comments (67)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
If Brody is killed off i'll stop watching Homeland. He's the most interesting character in the show imo
Flag
Brody so should have pulled the vice president suicide bombing. that would have been awesome and I thought for sure he was going to at the time, it really felt right. glad to know it's the stupid f*cks as showtime who are diminishing the show's greatness. not surprising considering their entirely lackluster offerings on all fronts.
Flag
The problem with Homeland is that there isn't...quite. It's been alternately stellar and occasionally a little underwhelming. But I worry about Season 3. I hope I'm unexpectedly impressed, but this news kind of confirms a suspicion I already had that it probably should have had a definite, fixed conclusion independent of its success. It's so naïve of me, I know, to think narrative integrity could receive priority over a show's lucrativeness, but there it is.
Flag
I'm impressed, after there was no word of The Roots coming with Fallon I sorta thought the earlier timeslot or higher profile show was going to make the network balk at their inclusion.
Wow, Lauren Bacall on Family Guy? That's stunning, and she's such a great voice too, that is going to be... holy crap that's a hell of a role she's got, it just computed.
Flag
I had no idea the fans wanted Brody to be killed off so badly imo I don't think the show could survive without him(unless it was intended to be a mini-series). I suppose you could make it about Carrie catching different bad guys but it would probably become a generic procedural. Idk maybe I was watching the show the wrong way.
Flag
The juried Emmy winners included Mea Maxima Culpa, which was completely shut out of the nominations. That you've never heard of it, and assume nobody else has, probably says something profound about you, but we won't explore that topic.
Flag
Staff
I read the article title and immediately thought Dana Brody.
Flag
Kaitlin you get all of the awards for: "(I've been really busy with choir)"
Flag
Staff
Hahaha. Thanks!
Flag
Why would you kill Brody in season 2? It made absolutely perfect sense to kill him at the end of the first season, but they completely blew it. (Or, more like.. They didn't.) Had the bomb gone off at the end of season 1, it would have been really interesting to see how the CIA would deal with that.. But nope.
Flag
It made sense to kill him at the end of season 1, but I'm glad they didn't, because him being alive made season 2 so much better. It also made sense to kill him at the end of season 2, but for now at least, I'm glad that they didn't, because he can certainly be useful in season 3.

Not killing him at the end of season 2 has already had some positive effects. If you-know-who had shot him, we wouldn't have gotten that awesome "I kill bad guys" scene, and if he had died in that other thing, Carrie wouldn't have had to disappear for a few hours, and we wouldn't have gotten to see that look on Saul's face when she came back. That look was the perfect way to end season 2.
Flag
Could it be that Brody is a Homeland agent under the deepest of covers?
Flag
No. Absolutely not. That wouldn't make any sense. I'd rather have him defuse a bomb by having monkeys fly out of his butt.
Flag
You want sense in espionage? If Al Quieda and other terrorist groups have sleepers,why couldn't Homeland?
Flag
Yes, I want sense in espionage. What an odd question.

There's no way that CIA/CTU/SHIELD or whatever he would be working for would know before he got captured that his captors would try to brainwash him rather than kill him.

No one would be willing to do what Brody had to endure, not even Jack Bauer.

It would be much easier to infiltrate the terrorist organization by having a local muslim agent earn the terrorist's trust, as they did in Sleeper Cell.

We have seen what Brody was doing when he was alone and not being watched, and there's nothing in his behavior that suggests that he's a CIA/CTU/SHIELD on a mission. He even tried to detonate the bomb he was carrying! He would have tried again if Dana hadn't talked him down.

Flag
Laura Prepon is leaving OITNB - for me it means that the show is loosing one of it's 3 best characters / actresses :( I'm very sad Pipex won't continue in season 2.
Flag
Lets be honest Homeland jumped the shark at the end of seaason one with Claire Danes :
"Hey I just worked out why Brody is a terrorist."
"I've just forgotten the last six months of my life"

Since then it's just been trying to jump bigger & bigger sharks
Flag
Nonsense. There was nothing wrong with the season 1 ending. Season 2 had a weak episode (2x03) and a few significant mistakes in other episodes as well (the hunt for Abu Nazir was a bit too much), but the important things were handled brilliantly.
Flag
"gifted but dysfunctional female attorney"

Code for: "Perfect, but socially awkward."

Since when does a female protagonist need any real flaws?
Flag
If you're checking out the Tardis on Google Maps then make sure you have 3D buildings turned on. There's also a Moonbase Alpha download, although it doesn't seem to work right; it comes out too low.
Flag
3D buildings? Do you mean that we should zoom out of the street view and have the 45 degree option checked? If I'm not in street view, I don't see the police box at all.
Flag
Sorry, I meant Google Earth. It uses the same maps but has a few added features. There's a building model of the Tardis.
Flag
Ah I see. Do you think the article made the same mistake? Is there a "double arrow" that takes you inside the TARDIS when you view the police box in Google Earth? Can you go inside it using Google Maps? (I don't see how).
Flag
Are you talking about Google Earth or Google Maps now? In Google Maps, the image at the side of the page is just a fast way to get the outside view of the TARDIS (that I had already seen), but I still don't see a way to get inside.
Flag
You have to click on the image at the side of the page.
Flag
Nope not watching the Game Of Thrones behind the scenes
I DON'T WANT THE MAGIC TO BE TAKEN AWAY
Flag
The problem of Homeland was their Ratings were too high. So it was a No Brainer not to kill Brody at the end of Season 1. As a Miniseries with him and all others dead in the bunker at the end I would have given this Show a 10/10, in my Opinion it would have been one of the best Miniseries ever. But I can understand Showtime and I'm glad they let him alive, because this Show has still great Potential and some really good actors in it.
Flag
WTF!? Nicholas Brody is one of the two main characters of Homeland. Killing him would be turning it into a completely different show! It wouldn't be Homeland anymore! For the first time ever I'm glad the bigwigs prevented this from happening, otherwise the ratings and probably my interest would've dropped drastically.
Flag
well, they could have made the show about the Homeland security department, which it is, and Carrie investigating different bad guys every season. i just hope it dosent turn into slushy twilight!
Flag
Brody was the bad guy until episode 5 of season 2. He's no longer the bad guy and he helped the CIA catch bad guys, or so he thought since it was all part of a bigger plan to plant that final bomb to kill all those people. In season 3 there will be another bad guy (or bad guys) I'm sure. And Brody will probably help a little in some way, if he gets a break from running and hiding from everyone that's after him. But I think the bond that's been created between Brody and Carrie is the center of this show. It's the heart of this otherwise cynical story. It's glue that holds all the characters and plot points together. If they killed off Brody there would be no reason for his wife and children to continue to appear on the show, for example. Maybe they would've been able to add another character as compelling as Brody, which I doubt, but I doubt even more that he would be played by an actor as great, as convincing and as committed as the one who plays Brody.
Flag
i see your point but i think they will struggle to keep him , and especially his family, relevant. I regard him a still a grey area trust-wise. he helped when he was caught, he had to help. He saved Carrie, not neccessaril;y helping the cia , from what i remember it was a while back. I think that Carrie`s struggle alone, her illness and her job is enough to carry the show, and fends off the cynicism of the world shes in. Brody was an important character up until now, for me, but with Abu Nazir death I hope and pray it isnt going to be a smushy soap opera/love story.. TBH hes a good actor, but there are a lot of good actors.
Flag
remember before he was caught he was betraying Carrie as a cia agent, but there was still something there. I think they only got into sync when he was caught and it was more intense, on both levels. oh, theres nothing wrong with love :) but it can fix you or break you. just as long as it`s balanced out with everything else, and done right. BSG a prime example. Brody will always be there relistically, but I just hope that its balanced right and they keep a good dynamic
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I see your point also, but for me Brody's character is as much part of the show and as much compelling to watch as Carrie's. I like to watch him struggle and trying to find himself as much as her. And if you still think he's not 100% on Carrie's side and will never betray her as a person and as a CIA agent, you've not been watching the same show as me. He was broken and their love made him whole again. Besides, he already had he's revenge when he killed the vice-president to save Carrie. And what's wrong with love? I don't like a "smuchy soap-opera" but I like a good love story, Isn't love, romantic or not, the main reason to be alive in this cynical world? Plus, I'm sure the homeland security and the main bad guys of the season will still be what series will spend most of it's time on, even if Brody remains as a regular character until the final season of Homeland, which I hope he does.
Flag
- For a second there I thought Prepon leaving is a sad thing, since her character has been central to the story so far, but I guess her leaving is actually a good thing. It moves the story forward and gives room for other characters. If Alex hung around indefinitely, the show would become a soap opera. And that's the way prison is supposed to be like; people coming and going.

- "The hell that is House of Lies?" *Gasp* You did not just say that!

- Aw, man! They're telling us that the thousands of Unsullied on GoT are not real? What are they going to reveal next? That there aren't any dragons?
Flag
Staff
Oh no, the dragons are definitely real.
Flag
I'm pretty sure I thought Brody should've been killed off in season 1, this is a prime example of how studios ruin good storytelling. should've wrapped it up and found another threat to deal with in each season because it's kind of getting old now and getting really ridiculous.

I don't see how Laura/Alex can leave the show though, she's got more time to do than Piper unless she's getting transfered to another prison, but then I wouldn't see why she'd be able to come back.. but whatever.

Ed Helms was fine on The Office but I honestly don't really think he's got the star pull to make people watch a show just because he's producing it, I don't find famous producing something as any sort of reason to watch it just because of that.

it really bugs me that apparently press releases are calling Husbands a CW Seed show because it's not, it was on youtube for two years... CW Seed's just 'airing' season 3.
Flag
Totally disagree. I understand why the original plan would be to kill him off in season 1, but they found a brilliant way to use him in season 2. He's certainly going to be useful in season 3 as well, but after that, I don't see how it can continue. It's not like he can go back to politics.

But hey, I just got an idea for a parody version. He makes a public apology with his wife by his side, goes back to politics and takes the lead in the polls. Then another video is released, and this time he's naked.

I'm not saying that he needs to die in season 3, only that I don't see a way to use him or any member of his family after the arc that was started in the season 2 finale has been concluded.
Flag
with you on Brody, its a show about the department and different bad guys. it`s just dragging out now, seriously, if he`s still alive for season four it will be ridiculous. Showtime stepped in and changed things? mm
Flag
I found the TARDIS, but no double arrow that takes me inside. Am I doing something wrong?

http://goo.gl/maps/WFFAF
Flag
It's no surprise they wanted to kill Brody but he became too popular to be killed just like Klaus on TVD.
Flag
While I love Brody and want Damien Lewis to stay, I can see their point. His story is getting a tad more ridiculous as time goes on. I just wonder how they'd proceed without him? Where do they want to go?
Flag
That's big OITNB news! I'm just wondering how her character's arc can be wrapped up early in the second season, they're all in prison! A transfer, perhaps?
Flag
Yes, they can do what they did to that older lady. But they could also just kill her off. She can still return, since the show does a lot of flashbacks.
Flag
Good point! I assumed the opportunity to return meant they were saying they wouldn't be able to kill her off, but you're totally right, they could bring her back in flashbacks.
Flag
Brody's death, if done well not like in shows like Prison Break, would make an interesting series finale. As long as the shows keeps on airing, I don't see how they could go on without Damian Lewis' character.
Flag
make it about the Homeland department, and chasing different bad guys?
Flag
Whoa now... what's wrong with House of Lies? I think that show is pretty great.
Flag
Oh yeah, and I enjoy that True Divas show. I don't care, I loff it.
Flag
I really didn't think it was Brody. It'd be like killing off Clay in the first or second year of SoA. If anything, I was just surprised that he got caught so early in the series. I wouldn't watch that show for Danes or Patinkin. Baccarin, well...
Flag
I kept reading the OITNB spoiler because I thought I wouldn't care, but I really do! I ship them so hard you guys!
Flag
Hey, if Damian Lewis (Brody from Homeland) is killed off the show, I am not watching it anymore. I'm watching for him. It's a great show and I thought he and Carrie were the main characters. It would suck to kill him off.
Flag
So with the picking up of Damon Wayans JR and now Dreama Walker. Instead of being good in itself New Girl now just poaching actors from actual good comedies that were cancelled because ABC is going the way of NBC and can't pull its head out of its arse.
Flag
Damon Wayans Jr was supposed to be on New Girl since the beginning.
Flag
Yes I know. Then he left for a show that was actually funny but was run into the ground by ABC. Now he has to come back to a far far lesser show. A show that really is only there because the lead "actress" has bangs and is dorky.
Flag
If that's what you think, then you clearly don't actually watch New Girl.
Flag
Gave up halfway through the first season. When they had to result to actual toilet humor. But I never got the whole Zoey Deschanel liability. Cut off her bangs and she loses her career.
Flag
Meh, Laura Prepon is one of my least favorite parts of an awesome show.

And June Diane Raphael as alter-April? That'll take some serious acting - she's great but so so different.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members