Homeland Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ShowtimeIn Season

Bipolar - a short explanation

redzonia

[1]Dec 25, 2011
    • level: 5

Some of you rage about the last episode. That it felt all wrong. Well, I feel like they've tried to depict how a fullblown mania might feel. That she's bipolar I guessed as soon as they mention the med. I recognize it as one of the several different ones that's out there. Anyway, I found it fascinating that they decided to show how an ECT is done but maybe should have been more clear about why she was given it. Bipolar type 1 is the one that usually suffers from full blown manias. When manic you often have grandious thoughts, plans, mutliple ideas of all kinds. Your brain goes on maximum speed. Imaginge your self when you are exited and have a bunch of ideas about something fun. Then multiply that by a 100 and it'sextreme. Some when manic feel euphoric andinvincible. Some suffer from delusions. You always fall down - hard. Regular people feel "blue" at times - then multiply thatby a 100 to theextremeandimagineliving like that. Then imaginge having these ups and downs about 1 maybe 2-3 times a year. Each year. For years. Sometimes for ever. It's devastating. You can't "get over it" - it's chronic. Usually meds and therapy is enough, but when depression sets in, sometimes it's not enough with meds and it takes to long, enter the ECT.

She'll be back for season 2 - without a doubt and she'll be fine again. Only, now a lot of people know there's something "wrong" with her andprobablywont get back into the CIA. So I'm curious as to see what she does instead.

Brody has been "outed" but he still has a promise tofulfilland now is supposed to do it in a another way theninitiallyplanned. Interesting.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

5nak3yes

[2]Dec 29, 2011
    • level: 4
    Insightful post thanks !

Type 1 sounds scary :/ , watching the ECT was nerve racking in itself. Anyways m also intrigued on how they bring all the characters back into action in the next season.

dif_frent

[3]Dec 29, 2011
    • level: 10
    Thank you for the explanation.
    Much as I would like to see Carrie in season 2, I'm afraid she can't be reinstated. CIA can't afford to employ people unstable emotionally. It's harsh, but no one will like their life depending on an unstable person. I only hope the script writers will find a way to put her back in the next season.

kanniballl

[4]Jun 26, 2012
    • level: 18

Yeh, I hadn't realized the ECT had advanced until I saw an episode of "Royal Pains"

Hank (the main character / doctor) describes it and how it's not like (or no longer like) how we envision it from the past. And how Hollywood has always shown it.

snickersee

[5]Jul 20, 2012
    • level: 1
    Remember that Saul has those incriminating DVDs about the air-strike. My guess is that he'll convince the VP and Estes to let her back in exchange for his silence.

Dec1964

[7]Dec 2, 2012
    • level: 33

redzonia wrote:

Some of you rage about the last episode. That it felt all wrong. Well, I feel like they've tried to depict how a fullblown mania might feel. That she's bipolar I guessed as soon as they mention the med. I recognize it as one of the several different ones that's out there. Anyway, I found it fascinating that they decided to show how an ECT is done but maybe should have been more clear about why she was given it. Bipolar type 1 is the one that usually suffers from full blown manias. When manic you often have grandious thoughts, plans, mutliple ideas of all kinds. Your brain goes on maximum speed. Imaginge your self when you are exited and have a bunch of ideas about something fun. Then multiply that by a 100 and it'sextreme. Some when manic feel euphoric andinvincible. Some suffer from delusions. You always fall down - hard. Regular people feel "blue" at times - then multiply thatby a 100 to theextremeandimagineliving like that. Then imaginge having these ups and downs about 1 maybe 2-3 times a year. Each year. For years. Sometimes for ever. It's devastating. You can't "get over it" - it's chronic. Usually meds and therapy is enough, but when depression sets in, sometimes it's not enough with meds and it takes to long, enter the ECT.

She'll be back for season 2 - without a doubt and she'll be fine again. Only, now a lot of people know there's something "wrong" with her andprobablywont get back into the CIA. So I'm curious as to see what she does instead.

Brody has been "outed" but he still has a promise tofulfilland now is supposed to do it in a another way theninitiallyplanned. Interesting.

There are many kinds of Biploar, because i have it.

I dont know what stage i am at, i take my medication

& basically i'm fine. The high's & lows you can have

every week, sometimes you can't even get out off bed.

But i cant live without my medication.