Homeland Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ShowtimeIn Season

Dislike Homeland

  • Avatar of DuDe444

    DuDe444

    [1]Oct 17, 2011
    • member since: 04/02/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    This show is offending to Islam in every way possible


    Why Nicholas have to be a muslim in order to present a mentally sick and damaged person


    I can't help but taking this personally because Islam is what makes muslims lives better not sick


    Homeland is offending over 2 billion people world wide and the most growing religion in the world


    Dislike


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kepa55

    kepa55

    [2]Oct 17, 2011
    • member since: 11/25/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 113

    Umm, wasn't it exactly his religion that made Nicholas better at the end of the second episode? He was totally destroyed before, prayed, and became a new man. If that isn't a positive portrayal of any religion, I don't know what is.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lthomas72

    lthomas72

    [3]Oct 17, 2011
    • member since: 08/01/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 9
    I disagree, but sadly I think your conclusion is the predictable one that most people will initially jump to, possibly because they're meant to. Nicholas has been converted to Islam as it was offered to him as an oasis of peace in his captivity. Just because the motives of the people trying to turn him were not pure, that doesn't mean that the peace and stability he gains from his new religion isn't real, or that it has anything to do with wanting to wish harm on his fellow americans now he is home. I think the turning point in this series will come when the people around him find ot he has converted to Islam and draw the same prejudicial conclusions yo did - that that must make him anti american. It will be a wonderful thing when this drama shows that, if anything, it will be the religion that his captors introduced him to that saves him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dif_frent

    dif_frent

    [4]Oct 17, 2011
    • member since: 05/30/10
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 146

    DuDe444 wrote:


    This show is offending to Islam in every way possible


    Why Nicholas have to be a muslim in order to present a mentally sick and damaged person


    I can't help but taking this personally because Islam is what makes muslims lives better not sick


    Homeland is offending over 2 billion people world wide and the most growing religion in the world


    Dislike



    I've found your post very interesting, because I would have never thought anyones religious feelings might be offended by that episode. Neither would I have ever associated Nicholas being Muslim with his mental condition. It was obvious to me that his condition resulted from the fear and tortures he had suffered. As keppa55 wrote, it was only prayers that gave him his strength back. I also think that Ithomas72 is right.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of blackmage8472

    blackmage8472

    [5]Oct 18, 2011
    • member since: 07/29/08
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,002

    DuDe444 wrote:



    Why Nicholas have to be a muslim in order to present a mentally sick and damaged person


    I have to concur with all the other posters, I think you're seeing what you want to see. In my opinion it seems they're suggesting that Brody becoming Muslim gave him a strength spiritually. He was breaking down, he prayed, he found strength.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of roams

    roams

    [6]Oct 18, 2011
    • member since: 05/23/02
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 145

    DuDe444 wrote:


    Why Nicholas have to be a muslim in order to present a mentally sick and damaged person



    They did not do it for that reason, he's not "mentally sick"... he's traumatized from his years in captivity and holding a lot of stuff back emotionally... being closed off this way plays with the concept of the show being that we do not know where he stands.... so we can't tell if he's bad or good...


    Go away religious person... you OFFEND THE SHOW... you OFFEND COMMON SENSE
    You should stop watching, the show is above you pay grade and you're being OFFENSIVE.



    I'm offended!
    lol

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ElmoKajaky

    ElmoKajaky

    [7]Oct 18, 2011
    • member since: 07/10/04
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 152

    Now I'm even more interested in watching this show. Thanks for turning me on to it!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mermayd

    mermayd

    [8]Nov 3, 2011
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 1,302
    roams wrote:

    DuDe444 wrote:


    Why Nicholas have to be a muslim in order to present a mentally sick and damaged person



    They did not do it for that reason, he's not "mentally sick"... he's traumatized from his years in captivity and holding a lot of stuff back emotionally... being closed off this way plays with the concept of the show being that we do not know where he stands.... so we can't tell if he's bad or good...


    Go away religious person... you OFFEND THE SHOW... you OFFEND COMMON SENSE
    You should stop watching, the show is above you pay grade and you're being OFFENSIVE.



    I'm offended!
    lol



    Here here (or is it hear hear?)

    Religious people are offended by everything. But it is interesting that you're not offended by the portrayal of a playboy prince recruiting prostitutes. I guess that's acceptable to you.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LizzyBenett

    LizzyBenett

    [9]Nov 3, 2011
    • member since: 10/16/10
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 3


    [/QUOTE] Here here (or is it hear hear?) Religious people are offended by everything. But it is interesting that you're not offended by the portrayal of a playboy prince recruiting prostitutes. I guess that's acceptable to you.[/QUOTE]



    Nice point.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LFH69

    LFH69

    [10]Nov 7, 2011
    • member since: 07/16/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 4

    THIS SHOW IS ABOUT SO MUCH MORE THAN RELIGION. AS WITH OUR US GOVERNMENT THE LINE BETWEEN CHURCH AND STATE IS SO BLURRED AND SO IS THIS COMMENT. HOW FOOLISH AND YOUTHFUL A STATEMENT TO MAKE. SO MANY EVIL PEOPLE WHO USE THEIR RELIGION TO DEFINE THE REASONS WHY THEY KILL AND DESTROY. THE GOOD ONES NEED TO STAND UP AGAINST THE EVIL THAT HAS EMBEDDED THEY PEACEFUL BELIEFS. UNTIL THAT HAPPENS ACROSS THE BOARD THE CRAZY PEOPLE WILL CONTINUE TO BRING DECIMATION AND DEATH TO OUR WORLD. I AM AGNOSTIC BUT I BELIEVE EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO BELIEVE WHAT THEY WANT AS LONG AS DEATH IS NOT PART OF THE EQUATION. THIS SHOW OPENS EVERYBODY'S MIND AS TO WHAT HAS HAPPENED OR COULD HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE. ALL THE QUESTIONS THAT GET ANSWERED ALONG WITH THE THOUGHT PROVOKING STORY-LINES SHOULD LEAVE THE VIEWER THINKING MORE ALONG THE LINES AS TO WHO ARE REALLY THE BAD PEOPLE? AL QAEDA OR U.S. GOVERNMENT. THIS IS THE MOST INTELLIGENTLY WRITTEN SHOW ON TELEVISION SO THINK LESS OF THE RELIGION AND MORE ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHOS LIVES ARE DESTROYED BY THOSE HIDING BEHIND RELIGION.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of emmiegirl

    emmiegirl

    [11]Nov 7, 2011
    • member since: 12/10/10
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 7
    @DuDe444, I recommend you go back and take a second look at that epi. Brody is clearly suffering with PTSD, and the stress of returning home is unleashing the chaos in his mind. It is only through the ritual of prayer that he is able to find solace, it is through his faith that he moves through the trauma he has sustained and meets peace. I do not believe the writers intend to vilify Islam with these images. I believe that the show wishes to provoke a response from the audience - do you, the viewer, jump to the conclusion that Brody has been turned into a terrorist because you seem him praying, in private, to Mecca? Clearly your first reaction was the one the writers believed such images would provoke, which is also one of the reasons the scenes occur in the garage, where Carrie does not have camera coverage.

    @LFH69, your comments are pointed and intelligent, but difficult to read. Perhaps come down off the ALLCAPS?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mattgus

    mattgus

    [12]Nov 14, 2011
    • member since: 10/30/06
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 735
    you are mistaken dude444...he needed god. he comes in many ways...Muslim was what was avail to him...that simple...it is a good use not a wrong or dismissive or offensive use...it is a legit way to god...don't see why you see it diff. the people involved with this story are way too bright, i think, to see Islam, or any other way to god something bad. they are all legit...i think you just did not watch long enough. tonite he explained how and why he came to Muslim. way of worship...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dec1964

    Dec1964

    [13]Dec 22, 2012
    • member since: 12/05/09
    • level: 35
    • rank: Beverly Hillbilly
    • posts: 740

    roams wrote:


    DuDe444 wrote:


    Why Nicholas have to be a muslim in order to present a mentally sick and damaged person



    They did not do it for that reason, he's not "mentally sick"... he's traumatized from his years in captivity and holding a lot of stuff back emotionally... being closed off this way plays with the concept of the show being that we do not know where he stands.... so we can't tell if he's bad or good...


    Go away religious person... you OFFEND THE SHOW... you OFFEND COMMON SENSE
    You should stop watching, the show is above you pay grade and you're being OFFENSIVE.



    I'm offended!
    lol




    Very well said.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ekotan

    ekotan

    [14]Dec 25, 2012
    • member since: 09/03/04
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 5
    A TV show cannot be offensive to any religion, because religions don't have feelings.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JanneKingren

    JanneKingren

    [15]Jan 3, 2013
    • member since: 05/26/10
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 3

    Of course you will see it that way. It is normal for Muslims to take all non Muslims do, say and think in a way that justifies that they can become angry and terrorize the world because of it. Maybe some bombs to the makers of Homeland would please you?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dec1964

    Dec1964

    [16]Jan 28, 2013
    • member since: 12/05/09
    • level: 35
    • rank: Beverly Hillbilly
    • posts: 740

    DuDe444 wrote:


    This show is offending to Islam in every way possible


    Why Nicholas have to be a muslim in order to present a mentally sick and damaged person


    I can't help but taking this personally because Islam is what makes muslims lives better not sick


    Homeland is offending over 2 billion people world wide and the most growing religion in the world


    Dislike





    You mite dislike "Homeland" but i'm sure you watched the whole of season- 2,


    my religion gets offended everyday. But i dont want to blow up people or start


    riots in the streets. I'm Roman Catholic, i sometimes laugh at the jokes made about


    my religion.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of O-liv

    O-liv

    [17]Jan 29, 2013
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 58
    Also what about freedom of speach? You stat that there are 2 billion people who might be offended... Does that mean you need to censor our films and series just in case? And what has the fact that it's, according to you at least, the "most growing religion in the world" have to do with anything? If it hadn't been, does it mean we could have made fun of it? In any case I agree with what's been said above - you're seeing this the wrong way. There's nothing offensive said about your religion in Homeland.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dec1964

    Dec1964

    [18]Feb 3, 2013
    • member since: 12/05/09
    • level: 35
    • rank: Beverly Hillbilly
    • posts: 740

    LizzyBenett wrote:



    Here here (or is it hear hear?) Religious people are offended by everything. But it is interesting that you're not offended by the portrayal of a playboy prince recruiting prostitutes. I guess that's acceptable to you.[/QUOTE]



    Nice point.


    [/QUOTE]



    Very good point.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MarekBR

    MarekBR

    [19]Feb 13, 2013
    • member since: 02/12/13
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    Would the fact that Damian Lewis is actually a posh boy who went to the same school as Cameron and Boris affect your feelings? It's strange to imagine Brody as an Old Etonian




    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynv1ybwn13o

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CrazyAsian1080

    CrazyAsian1080

    [20]Mar 16, 2013
    • member since: 11/29/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 178

    Homeland is one of the best examples of the Peter Principle I have ever seen. The only reason anything in the show works is because the VP and the AD are morons.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.