Homeland Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ShowtimeIn Season

Interesting article in the New Yorker about Homeland

mermayd

[1]Nov 30, 2011
    • level: 19

Homeland: the antidote for 24.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2011/11/homeland-the-antidote-for-24.html

Some interesting points about the use of torture and how trauma doesn't just disappear (a fact which 24 ignores gleefully) and how the best interrogation technique is to befriend your suspect and convince them to talk to you.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

chikanoman

[2]Dec 1, 2011
    • level: 12

Torture is still far and away the best way to extract information from an extremist wait scratch that threatening to torture said extremist family is the best way to extract information.

They use Saul talking to that women on a human level as a argument for not using torture and it took her 15 hours to tell him something he could use in their pursuit for the terrorists, Had a trained Torturer grabbed her off that bus in Mexico he'd have had her singing within an hour.

Sorry but that is fact!

Edited on 12/01/2011 6:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ilee1990

[3]Dec 6, 2011
    • level: 10

chikanoman wrote:

Torture is still far and away the best way to extract information from an extremist wait scratch that threatening to torture said extremist family is the best way to extract information.

They use Saul talking to that women on a human level as a argument for not using torture and it took her 15 hours to tell him something he could use in their pursuit for the terrorists, Had a trained Torturer grabbed her off that bus in Mexico he'd have had her singing within an hour.

Sorry but that is fact!

Actually, that is not a fact. The fact is that it is very unreliable because you will get whatever you want to hear. Your reasoning is based on the false assumption that everyone that gets interrogated is guilty.

chikanoman

[4]Dec 7, 2011
    ilee1990 wrote:

chikanoman wrote:

Sorry but that is fact!

Actually, that is not a fact. The fact is that it is very unreliable because you will get whatever you want to hear. Your reasoning is based on the false assumption that everyone that gets interrogated is guilty.

They knew she was guilty, They had probable cause and she knew Information that could help them save lives.

chikanoman

[5]Dec 8, 2011
    ilee1990 wrote:

chikanoman wrote:

Sorry but that is fact!

Oh and Appealing to his/her Human side (remember these people want to kill babies) is reliable.

Jog on.

makalsky

[6]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 5

Without sounding pro-arab, pro-american or pro whatever.We kill their babies, even if by accident, they kill ours. Currently the situation is like it is.

But on the subject:

Torture will probably work in a long run, i.e. if you torture me for a week, day by day, constantly with more and more intense methods, I will break. But you will never know if what I'm telling you is the truth or something you want to hear.

But just bywater-boardingme for a few hours or breaking my arms, legs or something like this, which you think might be effective, it is not.

Not if you hope to break me in 15 hours, not if for my mission, I was ready to kill innocents and/or my self. I will pass out of the pain, if it's too intense, and I will withstand it, if it's not that intense, for a few days for sure.

I don't know if appealing for their humanity might do the trick, but thepsychological pressure is much more effective, you just have to know what are the right "buttons" to push.

Cheers from abroad

makalsky

[7]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 5

Ohh, and one other thing. Threating or even torturing my family in front of me, will do me nothing if I'm that kind of sociopath.

mattgus

[8]Dec 15, 2011
    • level: 14
    torture more likely than not will produce info,but often, inaccurate info...sorry but that is the real fact...people will say anything to get it to stop...that is how the inquisition got people to say their wife's,neighbors ,sons,daugh were evil...if bad enough people will say what the interrogator wants to hear...and if a country stoops to torture it is saying,yes we are so scared so desperate will will do anything even if it will not provide accurate info just to scare our enemy...not a good thing for the most powerful country in the world...and yes torture once started has no bounds. and who does it??? you have to get a sadist,sociopath...YOU HAVE TO think about it////anyone that can could do any of the least awful of the techniques has to be very sick..and many are sexual sadists to boot...where is the law and order for a person who tortures. i can tear out your fingernails,one,all,or shove a hot poker where the sun don't shine or????you have to be sick...and it is calculated. much thought goes into it...dear god people...think about the whole of what you are asking when you go there...peace and love to all....