Homeland

Gerontion

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 10, 2013 on Showtime

• Gerontion

Not a bad episode, but this show is still just nowhere near the quality we have come to expect.
  • Turning point

I actually really liked this week episode

For the first time it felt like this season is moving forward, which in Homeland case is really about moving backwards, as this episode felt a lot like home. It felt like old times (old times being early S2): not too much action after last week action-packed episode, a lot of suspance and spy stuff, saul being a badass during interrogation, CIA secrets all over the place and, above all else, no Brody family drama AT ALL!

It was bittersweet hearing about Brody. it was nice to hear about his involvement but it was also a punch in the gut as right there on the airfield I kind of realized I didn't care that much about Brody anymore, mostly thanks to Quinn. I'm starting to understand this might have been the writers way to get us viewers ready for Brody's ultimate demise and to prepare us to a sans-brody show, and it worked flowlessly
  • Interesting

It was good to hear about Brody. Hopefully we will see more about him now! But I'm liking Quinn and would be open to seeing their chemistry develop.
  • Old Time's Sake

Homeland got a bit more grounded this week as we saw the fallout of Javadi's massacre of his wife and daughter-in-law from last week and got some big clues on the actual perpetrator of the Langley Bombing. Still no Brody, who is no doubt rotting in that same cell in Caracas wondering when he'll be relevant again to the writing team who has forsaken him. We saw a great deal of Quinn in this episode and how he feels "done" with the CIA and their covert way of doing things and ruining lives (for example having Javadi skate for the double murder because he is now a CIA asset) which he conveys in a great scene with Carrie and his confession to the murders he didn't commit (having been caught by a neighbor's security camera) but largely all rising from having killed the young boy in the season opener. Saul had to answer to Senator Lockhart for having been away from his office for so long and why he's ruining the CIA's history before the regime change. The dynamic between Dar and Saul played a great deal into this week's events especially when they lock the Senator in the conference room to give Javadi (now having been turned) time to get out of the country before enjoying a drink. Surely Saul is taking a risk in this, but his scenes with Javadi played out excellently, and showed how far he is willing to go to stay relevant as he is about to lose his temporary position of power to a bureaucrat. Javadi and us as the audience knew that Carrie would take the bait, as Saul did, that Javadi knew who the real bomber was which took much of the suspense out of her calling Javadi back off of the plane in the end of the episode. But now we have a trail that leads back to the law firm that set up Javadi and Carrie that knows the "Abu Nazir's guy" by name and they will surely put some hurt on him by then. Quinn will no doubt stay through for Carrie but his scenes in which Dar threatened to nail him to the wall with local PD didn't really seem that earned since they have had only one or two scenes together ever on the show although there does seem to be an antagonistic history between them. Carrie not being able to handle the pressure of looking at the crime scene was uncharacteristic of her but whether that was supposed to be the morning sickness catching up with her or nerves and guilt the writers didn't convey that well at all. Can't really expect to see Brody now can I? He's gonna stay far away and who knows when Javadi will pop up again after having flipped sides. Surely he will give them something from Iranian intel to validate Saul's risk. But this episode became much more about the past in some ways than it did about the future which was somewhat irksome.
  • Homeland.

Let me get this right, when Saul calls Mira and she is having sex with her current boyfriend from Mumbai, Saul says I've been thinking of you since the days of Tehran. Saul has been married to Mira for that long, now why does that make me worried, this woman needs to be watched. When Quinn was talking to Carrie, I knew what he meant about confession is good for the soul, it was about the child he accidently shot in the Venezuelan Embassy (I like Quinn and Carrie working together). Saul' s plan to send Javadi back to Iran, I didn't think would work because on the way to the jet Javadi was trying to get into Carrie's head about Brody and that is a sore spot for Carrie. As for stupid Senator Lockhart the so called soon to be head of the CIA (how do they pick these guys, numbers out of a hat) really Senator you don't know how to use a phone. GO SAUL. Fantastic Episode. I Loved It. (Still No Brody).
SHO