Homeland

Grace

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 09, 2011 on Showtime

7.8
  • Carrie looks more into Brody's life while learning more about Abu Nazir.

I've been seeing a lot of complaints lately about how the show seems to be implying that since Brody practices the Islamic religion that it means he's a terrorist and that the implications of that are terrible. I wouldn't exactly agree with that. I don't think the writers are attempting to imply that worshiping an Islamic religion means you're a terrorist. I thought the scene at the end wasn't racist or anything; it's just blurring the image, making us wonder whether or not Brody has switched sides. It's as if the writers are playing with our misconceptions about Islamic religions and are making us believe one thing when the religion plot could really be a red herring.

Anyways, enough of that: this episode sort of widens the screen a bit and gives us more of a glimpse of what's going on. Here, we get to know Carrie's undercover person Lynne Reid a bit better. I must say, for a character we don't know as well, Lynne ends up being fascinating to watch, if only because the writers are able to take a plot point that's been used over and over again in shows (the undercover agent attempts to do something right under the nose of the people she's spying on) and makes it feel exciting still.

I also like that we're seeing more of Claire Danes' character, specifically her home life. I read in a review for the next episode that someone thinks her acting isn't great, but to me, that's absurd. It's her and Damien Lewis who are the centerpieces, and both have been impressive so far. I'm looking forward to learning more about Carrie's illness, which seems to be carried on through the family.

Overall though, this show is a great find. I wasn't necessarily expecting much out of it at first, but the second episode was proof that it's worth sticking around (and in my eyes, the third episode is even better). I'd definitely recommend checking it out.