Homeland

Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime Premiered Oct 02, 2011 In Season

neomichel

Homeland Fan Reviews (79)

• Season Finale

0.5
    This show started out so well and then we had the season finale and it was so bad on so many levels - I will not watch this show again!!! I think the writers hate women - Carrie is the most interesting character and they basically turn her into a sniveling victim - for what - so that they can keep Brody as a character. I don't need to watch him succeed, I am not interested in the character psychologically torturing Carrie and I certainly don't need to see her at the last second remember an important detail and then ooops electroshock therapy with short term memory loss - how convenient
  • A TV Series Gone Disastrous!!

This show has turned to a total disaster. I really don't know if I even want to waste my time on say, a disappointing season 4. I feel like I have been betrayed by the show creators, starting with a high paced, suspenseful first season, that I personally recommended to everyone I knew who'd care for a superbly characterized worthy of attention TV series, to a disappointing nothing-to-lose third season in 4 years. I'll throw everything about this show out the window, maybe I already have, just don't know it yet!!
  • No, Darcy Harcourt...

A dumb New Zealander has a question about the Dana Brody character

By DarcyHarcourt, Nov 29, 2013

May I have some help, please, American viewers of Homeland?

You are not wrong. Americans hate Dana as much as Kiwis (did I get that right?). And you're not dumb, you're one of the intelligent ones. The dumb ones love this show, no matter what.

Absolutely yes, we'd like to see a house fall on Dana. Dana the character is moronic and the actor who portrays her can't act.

My take on why she got an extended, ignorant storyline that sucked up the first few episodes of this season and made them forgettable and loathsome: she is sleeping with the producer.

• Boring, wrong.. Can watch something better than this.

Really lame show. The material in the show is so far off from the truth and shameful on how they depict certain situation instead of showing something close to being real. The shows story line is boring. I recommend watching a better show. There are so many amazing shows out there.
  • season 3 is really bad

I did love this show but season 3 story line has taken a huge turn. I just watched the 3rd episode and could hardly sit thru it. The 2 main characters are both in lock up with little hope of escape and the star is crazy and in an asylum.

So what happened... are there new writers? what happened to the action and the complexity, this is 2 people trying to escape their current situation and that's about it. Great actors but the writing... will be canceled by season 4 at this rate.
  • MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE....

1.5
    JUST WANT TO WISH ALL THE HOMELAND FANS A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A VERY HAPPY AND SAFE NEW YEAR :)))
  • How the biggest TV Series in the World was destroyed in 3 episodes of the New Season!!!!

1.5
    I am stunned at the Writers/Directors of the new season of was the biggest TV Series all over the World(or second to Game of Thrones. If they deliberately wanted to damage the series they could not have done worse.

Frankly, is the title of the series 'Homeland' about the Homeland Security or is it 'The Psych Ward'. Three episodes have dealt with nothing but the hero and heroine's battles with drugs and psychiatric illness! Save for a bit about Saul, the writers seem to have been lost in their own world of psychiatric illness and drug filled writing and just lost the plot.

If bringing out the heroine's well used story line of psychiatric illness wasn't pathetic enough and showed absence of fresh ideas,they even got Dana in the psych ward with her problems.

All I can say is I'm glad Sleepy Hollow,Black List,etc have started because this season of Homeland is just plain garbage!
  • Lala Land

1.5
    This show has turned into a parody of itself. And it never was very credible to start with. The weeping, twitching, flip-flopping Claire Danes-as-Carrie was intolerable anyway. But what I absolutely cannot forgive is the way they have turned the amazing Damian Lewis into an annoying pain in the ass. I did not think that was humanly possible.
  • WTF? Season 4 ends with a whimper.

This was (and I emphasize was) one of the most original and exciting shows on TV. This season, as with most series, the writers started to grasp at straws to keep the audience interested. At this point, after a greatly belabored story line finally came to an end, I think the season 4 finale should be the series finale. It's time to move on.
  • Wheel Barrow got a flat tire...

I'm so disappointed in this season. I thought the show's main characters were supposed to be Carrie and BRODY!! They dragged the whole season with unnecessary drama. By this point, I feel like 'who cares who the real bomber is?' They will probably lie about it anyway. Since the end of season 2, when Carrie walked back in and saw Saul, to me, Saul looked guilty. And the way he acts & talks this year, I don't trust him. I think he's part of the bombing. That's just my opinion.
  • Hatufim

Just finished watching two seasons of the Israeli version Prisoners of War, and the American version comes off quite a second rate imitation. The characters in Homeland are becoming quite ridiculous and unbelievable.
  • Going in the wrong direction

Homeland started off good with the first season but it's starting to be way over the I find myself already knowing what is going to happen before the episode is anyone really think Abu Nazir was going to be captured at the end of episode let it go when Brodie was walking around in his uniform and in some episodes in season 1 and he was an E5 Sergeant then in other episodes he was an E7 Gunnery Sergeant, figured ok maybe he was promoted in absentia as MIAs usually do , but then he was back to E5 Sgt, a couple episodes later. Then they started giving his annoying daughter more screen time, I promply fast forward now when she comes on the screen. Then there was a female major wearing a US Army Combat Infantryman Badge which is a badge only awarded to men since there are no women in the infantry of 18 series. Then some a freaking news reporter knows the combination to the assistant CIA director's personal safe in his office. Give me a break! And who didn't see the one girl killing herself with her glasses. this last episode takes the cake though, really death by wifi. I think the show is running out of ideas, and just pulling random stuff out to try and keep the plot going. It's starting to turn the case officers into bumbling baffons with no clue about what they are doing. I have a pretty good idea on how the season ends and I'm only watching now to see if I'm right, since I won't be watching next season.
  • Good vs evil

You had better let good prevail once in awhile, nobody likes to see evil constantly win. Hope next season is better or I will quit watching for sure!!!!!
  • Q & A; a.k.a - Shark Bait

3.5
    Let's see if I could summarize:

1. Quinn morphs into Jack Bauer;

2. Carrie breaks Brody's spirit by rambling on about their love; &

3. Dana gets a ride from Linday Lohan's brother.

Next episode, Arthur Fonzarelli goes water skiing.
  • used* to be fantastic

the most current season, like many others have agreed, turned into a complete mess. i'll start off by saying i completely adored the first two seasons. my high expectations for season 3 were met with the disappointment of pointless characters, plot holes, and everything else that could destroy previously popular series. i believed that there were areas of season 3 that had potential, but were knocked down by the lack of creativity and misuse of skills of the writers. so sad to see such a thrilling, well-played drama turn to trash.
  • If you got lot of time to waste - watch this BS Show

4.5
    This is how it goes, and the author did the following, pick a real life political situation and twist it around while drunk or under drugs. Add some facts with lots of impossible imaginary incidents, then wake up from the hangover to see all is wrong and does not add up.

It is all about over sized terrorists, CIA screw ups and characters that are lost and jumping places.

You cannot fool educated viewers with all this crap, like shooting a scene in Morocco with men dressed as Jordanians and women dressed like Egyptians and say it is Beirut.

The author, producer, and director should have done more research to convince us, it is another "24" but here Jack Bauer is a Psycho - Cuckoo blonde named Carie

Do not waste your time on this, slow boring and does not add up!
  • Better Research perhaps necessary??

I really love this show and find it amazing, but I was very much disappointed when they showed Cyprus the way they did in the season premiere! First of all, Nicosia is nowhere near the beach and second of all we are not as backward as they presented us! Please do more research on countries you visit during the series next time!!
  • It's beginning to look a lot like 24

Having just seen the Beirut episode, season 2's storyline is getting more ridiculous by the moment,. The foolishness starts with Brodie's flimsy reversal by cell phone in the bunker, Carrie's on-again off-again at a moment's notice illness, Brodie's unbelievable political rise, and ends tonight with his all-too-convenient inclusion in tonight's operation and the repetitious savior by cell at the last possible moment. Homeland is looking like the most incredulous episodes of 24. Now that I know that Howard Gordon is behind both shows, it all makes sense. It also means that if the writing remains the same, I'll stop watching. After a glorious first season, I didn't see how the series could credibly continue the storyline with all the main characters. It does continue, but only for those who didn't tire of 24.
  • show is becoming rediculously dull

title says it all, starting to hate this show due to this awful season so far!!!
  • This show is going to get VERY boring very quickly.

Loved the first 11 episodes, but the writers took the easy way out in the finale. This feels like a total reset. I see viewers jumping ship midway through season 2. I know they have to extend the series, but why not take some chances? Very disappointed.
  • Time to end this...

While I was really enjoying the first two seasons of Homeland this 3rd season has become quite straining to watch, especially since they have basically turned it into "The Carrie Matheson Show" now! And as great a job as Claire Danes is doing, watching her loony antics all the time is just irksome and exhausting
  • Elder, naughtier sister of 24 with same intentions

Homeland is the latest chapter in the endless list of CIA vs Terrorist shows/movies that pour it in dozens from USA. A truly talented CIA agent with a mental disorder, is the chief protagonist, who suspects a returning POW of being a terrorist. The show takes the viewers into the workings of CIA and terrorist group based out in Middle East. Based on the first 3 episode, here's the result:

3 Episode Test:

Plot-ology:

There's absolutely nothing new about the plot. It's the much used and abused terrorist theme show. Of course CIA is shown to the be the savior of the world and Muslims are portrayed as terrorist. It might be hard for the ill-informed average American to grasp the idea that it could be the other way around as well. It would have been interesting to see the roles reversed for once. Now I don't know maybe later in the show, we get insight into why and how these terrorist function. But, based on the first 3 episodes, it was text book Pro-American drama. People behind the show are from a mixed background; some of the writers have worked in the previous big name terrorist drama a.k.a. 24. While some others have Dexter experience on their C.Vs. Together, they bring a little bit extra when compared to 24, but, not enough to get the Emmy.

I didn't particularly enjoy how easily and obviously the story rolled in the first 3 episodes. They could've taken more time to connect the dots. Carrie and Saul would have a lot of hunches and viewers would be taken right to that story. Surprisingly none of those hunches have been wrong so far. A little farfetched. I would like to believe that there's a lot of human error and error in judgment involved in the workings of even the best intelligence agencies in the world. The first scene was a bit implausible as well. That prisoner in Iraq would so easily believe and tell Carrie such a big secret about an American POW turning? I mean really? And Carrie would so easily walk in and out of the facilities.

I believe they need to pay a LOT of attention to detail if Homeland has to become a great show rather than being just a good show, which it is right now.

Cast-ography:

The cast is generally above average. None of them is a household name, to be honest but almost all of them of have delivered very decent portrayals of their respective characters. The front runner is Claire Danes, who is playing a bi-polar CIA agent, Carrie, also the protagonist for much of the show. She's done a fine job so far. But she needs to add a new range of emotions to her character. It's a caffeine overdosed hyper active right now. We need to see a lot more of that bi-polar disorder that she has. Also, when she was sitting at home spying, I found it hard to believe she needed to be so dressed up for it. Attention to detail.

Damian Lewis plays the returning prisoner of war, Nicholas Brody. He's also given us a composed and concealed character so far. Although his speech right after landing in USA was questionable. Again one would think that coming home after a decade of torture, he would find it extremely difficult to communicate with anyone, let alone a large crowd. Attention to detail.

Rest of the cast is reasonably solid so far. No stand out performers per say, but, most of them have just about pulled their characters' weight. Morena Baccarin, David Harewood, Diego Klattenhoff and Mandy Patinkin are other major characters on the show.

Generality: (Soundtrack, Music, overall look and feel):

The opening theme/sequence is pretty good. It gives us a nice military-ish feel to it. Soundtrack, background music and cinematography have all been generally good. A few of The Wire alumni are involved in the backroom, so it's the least we can expect from them.

Final Grade:

All in all, it's a good show to watch. It's nothing extra ordinary so far. It seems like the elder sister of 24 who is a little more mature and a lot more into revealing skin. Some of the nudity/sexual content seemed vital to the story, unlike some other Showtime series (Yes, you House of lies). The relation between Nicholas Brody and his wife was handled with detail and seemed real. Watch this show, but, I would be really surprised if it gets the Emmy with shows like Breaking Bad, Boardwalk and Game of Thrones in the running. A nomination even would be a remarkable achievement.

more reviews: http://syedhamzaali.tumblr.com
  • The last episode was disappointing

Of course I did not expect to blow up the bomb, but the way he changed his mind just because he heard his daughter....is stupid!!!!
  • Uneven

Having powered through nearly 2 season recently I find this show incredibly uneven. Everything between Claire Danes and Damian Lewis is amazing. Mandy Patinkin is a force, though he's basically Jason Gideon just a bit more slick. David Marciano and Maury Sterling just work so well. They are the perfect mixture of comic relief, sincerity and cloak and daggers. Rupert Friend's character is also pretty fun to watch.

However, everyone else just seem uneven. Ironically Morena Baccarin's character come off a bit manic and is there because everyone needs a love triangle (square). David Harewood bounces between moron, douche, hard nose, competent depending on what the show needs. Morgan Saylor is even worse. Her character is basically just there to drive the plot in one direction or another. Diego Klattenhoff's character is there for the same reason, but he pulls it off better. The other characters are kind of just there. I mean I literally forgot Jackson Pace was in the show for a bit.

Still, the show isn't bad. I like how it's more cloaks and less daggers. But thankfully the cast is good, because honestly, if the acting was bad this show probably would not be as popular as it is.
  • Good show over all.

The show is entertaining, however being a Marine myself, the obvious lack of military familiarity (marine corps in particular) is disheartening. To save myself from writing too much, one thing that makes my skin crawl... If I called a Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corps "Sarg" or "Sergeant", I would be prepared to have a boot up my rear side. To hear him call himself a Sergeant is just madness. The director chose for the main character to be a Marine Scout Sniper over any other services' sniper for a reason. So uphold the standard ya lazy bum. ANY research would have made this series more watchable.
  • don't mind the intrigue... But please don't depict Beirut as a town that is still in the Middle Ages

Don't mind the Series... Its fictional and it hits home... What irritates me is when you Show Beirut as a rundown City with no Chic ro grand restaurants or even a Nightlife... I suggest to the producers to study a bit more about Beirut before giving the wrong Picture... We do have a night life... we do have clubs, Condos, Beautiful beaches and most of the people are very nice and friendly... That is offensive when we are always the "Bad Guys" When there is a lot Lebanese that just want to LIVE!!! So Please Producers just type in Google... Beirut Nightlife... or even send one scout there and you would be suprised what he will report... How about if a movie came out and showed that all Americans are Red Necks... Don't think you would like that now would you!!! Sorry had to say it...
  • Mike is awesome

Claire Danes is just over acting since she has not had a big feature title for so long. Damien (Brody) is the worse actor I have seen. Somebody should take him out of the show before he kills the Show.
  • Best TV Show 2011 - Worst Finale Ever

I am not sure why the writers didn't end season 1 with episode 11. What's the point of writing a final episode without the real culmination? I get it they wanted to set the stage for season 2, but shouldn't they have ended season 1 first? And, what season 2 will do without Carrie, who was the driving force of the whole season, and the reason we watched it so religiously in the first place? And if she stays, in what capacity? I'd rather see her killed than being brain-washed like that. Seriously.

I am still in shock that the ending was so weak - it's almost as if the writers didn't really know in which direction the show should go. The show was extremely believable right until episode 12, and then it was episode 12, where everything felt so wrong - to a point that I started wondering if it was the same show. The writers couldn't decide upon anything - should they blow up the highest level of government, or should they let them live; should Carrie be allowed to finish her work or should they get rid of her; should Brody's daughter find out her dad is a terrorist, or should she stay just a naive teenager. In the end - nothing has happened. The show was not allowed to culminate simply because the writers didn't know how it should culminate. One thing they knew for sure - season 2 should happen. But, with Carrie's brain being dead and out of the way, I am not sure I want to watch it. With episode 12, this show lost any credibility in my eyes, plus without Carrie being Carrie, I don't really want to watch it.
  • No rate here so far....

Hello, yesterday I started watching this series and I am through the first season,

so far I like it, but so many people are saying that the 3rd season should be awful... shall I watch it

or not? Please give a me good reason for one of it?
  • A dumb New Zealander has a question about the Dana Brody character

May I have some help, please, American viewers of Homeland? This series is VERY big here at the bottom of the world, where no drones will ever fly, but everyone I know who watches it is completely mystified by the character Dana Brody, played by Morgan Saylor. Up to now Dana has obviously been a character we're supposed to like (she persuaded Brody not to blow up the VP and others; she's young; she's pretty etc etc). But now she has: (a) walked out of her home, leaving her mother (whose life must be hell) and brother to pine away and die for all she cares, and (b) she's told her father to leave her alone, when all he wanted to do was say goodbye before he was about to embark on a suicide mission (not that she knew that, admittedly). In any other TV series, and certainly in any series made outside the US, the view which we are being invited to take of this character would be clarified about now: a house would fall on her, and another character would come along and take possession of her shoes. My question, therefore, is this: do Americans have a completely different view of this character from everyone else on the planet? Are young women in America are expected to behave in a completely self-absorbed manner, caring nothing about the feelings and welfare of others, including their parents and siblings? I'd really like to know.

Darcy Harcourt