Homeland

Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime Premiered Oct 02, 2011 In Season

neomichel

Homeland Fan Reviews (81)

• Outstanding drama with the great acting. Must see of the season!

The story of turned(maybe) POW is very intriguing! You'll never know want will happen in the next episode.

Brody's behavior is always on the edge, so you'll never know if he is a traitor or not.

And only one agents sees truth. Or maybe she's overreacting?

You'll never what is true and what is not. One thing you are able to to do is to sit still and watch this wonderful series!

• Intriguing Drama with an immensely talented cast.

If you wanted to see a gripping thriller with incredible characters, you have come to the perfect place. 'Homeland' is the new Showtime Drama that entertains you throughout and never lets you go, thus succeeding in slipping in some really unexpected twists in the plot. With writers who've previously written for '24', the show does look inspired when it comes to keeping the audience in the dark.

The show is blessed with a small but amazing cast whose performance is worth every penny. Claire Danes plays an intense CIA analyst who believes that recently recovered P.O.W. (Damian Lewis) is plotting to attack America. Her character is unstable and makes it hard for the audience to believe her which adds to the beauty of the script. Damian Lewis, on the other hand, plays the 'guy in uniform' with ease as he did splendidly in 'Band of Brothers'. The show hasn't revealed much about Damian's character and I have a feeling they wouldn't do that any time soon, since it keeps the suspense going.

The pilot was top-notch and certainly the best that premiered this fall. If the show continues to be intriguing and maintains the high quality of the pilot, it can surely be a genius.

10 stars at least for now.

• Good vs evil

You had better let good prevail once in awhile, nobody likes to see evil constantly win. Hope next season is better or I will quit watching for sure!!!!!
  • Best new show since... I don't know

What do you need for a good TV series? Well, for one, good writing. How many times in the last few years have you been irritated by lazy or simply stupid plotlines, that are either extremely clichd, don't make any sense or are just boring? What about acting? Yes, you need talented people to act out the written words, someone like Claire Danes (My So-Called Life), Damian Lewis (Life) or Mandy Patinkin (Dead Like Me). What else... oh yes, have good themes, handle them intelligently and don't disappoint the viewers. Add overall high production values and you have Homeland, the best new drama series since the first season of Dexter probably. Seriously, watch it. Right now.
  • Season Finale

0.5
    This show started out so well and then we had the season finale and it was so bad on so many levels - I will not watch this show again!!! I think the writers hate women - Carrie is the most interesting character and they basically turn her into a sniveling victim - for what - so that they can keep Brody as a character. I don't need to watch him succeed, I am not interested in the character psychologically torturing Carrie and I certainly don't need to see her at the last second remember an important detail and then ooops electroshock therapy with short term memory loss - how convenient
  • Redefining good tv one week at a time.

(maybe some spoilers...) I can't believe all the bad reviews I'm reading, this show is awesome and let me tell you why, it's well written, even if we don't like something in the story it's done with a purpose and it adds to the intrigue of the show. And fine maybe we find Claire a bit annoying or we don't like what the writers did with her but it's been there all season and she was bound to explode at some point, the only critique i would make was killing off Walker, I thought the character had potential and I still hope that even if he was killed we get more on his backstory, anyways the show is awesome , great acting, great writing, great story, keep it up.
  • Best TV Show 2011 - Worst Finale Ever

I am not sure why the writers didn't end season 1 with episode 11. What's the point of writing a final episode without the real culmination? I get it they wanted to set the stage for season 2, but shouldn't they have ended season 1 first? And, what season 2 will do without Carrie, who was the driving force of the whole season, and the reason we watched it so religiously in the first place? And if she stays, in what capacity? I'd rather see her killed than being brain-washed like that. Seriously.

I am still in shock that the ending was so weak - it's almost as if the writers didn't really know in which direction the show should go. The show was extremely believable right until episode 12, and then it was episode 12, where everything felt so wrong - to a point that I started wondering if it was the same show. The writers couldn't decide upon anything - should they blow up the highest level of government, or should they let them live; should Carrie be allowed to finish her work or should they get rid of her; should Brody's daughter find out her dad is a terrorist, or should she stay just a naive teenager. In the end - nothing has happened. The show was not allowed to culminate simply because the writers didn't know how it should culminate. One thing they knew for sure - season 2 should happen. But, with Carrie's brain being dead and out of the way, I am not sure I want to watch it. With episode 12, this show lost any credibility in my eyes, plus without Carrie being Carrie, I don't really want to watch it.
  • am disappointed

those rating the finale more than 6 are just sponsors or working on the show......really?how do you end a show like that
  • This show is going to get VERY boring very quickly.

Loved the first 11 episodes, but the writers took the easy way out in the finale. This feels like a total reset. I see viewers jumping ship midway through season 2. I know they have to extend the series, but why not take some chances? Very disappointed.
  • The last episode was disappointing

Of course I did not expect to blow up the bomb, but the way he changed his mind just because he heard his daughter....is stupid!!!!
  • Elder, naughtier sister of 24 with same intentions

Homeland is the latest chapter in the endless list of CIA vs Terrorist shows/movies that pour it in dozens from USA. A truly talented CIA agent with a mental disorder, is the chief protagonist, who suspects a returning POW of being a terrorist. The show takes the viewers into the workings of CIA and terrorist group based out in Middle East. Based on the first 3 episode, here's the result:

3 Episode Test:

Plot-ology:

There's absolutely nothing new about the plot. It's the much used and abused terrorist theme show. Of course CIA is shown to the be the savior of the world and Muslims are portrayed as terrorist. It might be hard for the ill-informed average American to grasp the idea that it could be the other way around as well. It would have been interesting to see the roles reversed for once. Now I don't know maybe later in the show, we get insight into why and how these terrorist function. But, based on the first 3 episodes, it was text book Pro-American drama. People behind the show are from a mixed background; some of the writers have worked in the previous big name terrorist drama a.k.a. 24. While some others have Dexter experience on their C.Vs. Together, they bring a little bit extra when compared to 24, but, not enough to get the Emmy.

I didn't particularly enjoy how easily and obviously the story rolled in the first 3 episodes. They could've taken more time to connect the dots. Carrie and Saul would have a lot of hunches and viewers would be taken right to that story. Surprisingly none of those hunches have been wrong so far. A little farfetched. I would like to believe that there's a lot of human error and error in judgment involved in the workings of even the best intelligence agencies in the world. The first scene was a bit implausible as well. That prisoner in Iraq would so easily believe and tell Carrie such a big secret about an American POW turning? I mean really? And Carrie would so easily walk in and out of the facilities.

I believe they need to pay a LOT of attention to detail if Homeland has to become a great show rather than being just a good show, which it is right now.

Cast-ography:

The cast is generally above average. None of them is a household name, to be honest but almost all of them of have delivered very decent portrayals of their respective characters. The front runner is Claire Danes, who is playing a bi-polar CIA agent, Carrie, also the protagonist for much of the show. She's done a fine job so far. But she needs to add a new range of emotions to her character. It's a caffeine overdosed hyper active right now. We need to see a lot more of that bi-polar disorder that she has. Also, when she was sitting at home spying, I found it hard to believe she needed to be so dressed up for it. Attention to detail.

Damian Lewis plays the returning prisoner of war, Nicholas Brody. He's also given us a composed and concealed character so far. Although his speech right after landing in USA was questionable. Again one would think that coming home after a decade of torture, he would find it extremely difficult to communicate with anyone, let alone a large crowd. Attention to detail.

Rest of the cast is reasonably solid so far. No stand out performers per say, but, most of them have just about pulled their characters' weight. Morena Baccarin, David Harewood, Diego Klattenhoff and Mandy Patinkin are other major characters on the show.

Generality: (Soundtrack, Music, overall look and feel):

The opening theme/sequence is pretty good. It gives us a nice military-ish feel to it. Soundtrack, background music and cinematography have all been generally good. A few of The Wire alumni are involved in the backroom, so it's the least we can expect from them.

Final Grade:

All in all, it's a good show to watch. It's nothing extra ordinary so far. It seems like the elder sister of 24 who is a little more mature and a lot more into revealing skin. Some of the nudity/sexual content seemed vital to the story, unlike some other Showtime series (Yes, you House of lies). The relation between Nicholas Brody and his wife was handled with detail and seemed real. Watch this show, but, I would be really surprised if it gets the Emmy with shows like Breaking Bad, Boardwalk and Game of Thrones in the running. A nomination even would be a remarkable achievement.

more reviews: http://syedhamzaali.tumblr.com
  • Season 2

Great show! Can someone tell me when Season 2 starts?
  • Will it work now that we know!!

What a fab series, but from "The Vest" onwards may have killed series two.

It was the "is he" "isn't he" conundrum which made the story.

Damien Lewis at his best, he can be such a baddie (e.g. Colditz) or such a good guy (Band of Brothers) and this brought both sides out beautifully.
  • Homeland Season 2

Hi, can someone tell me when Season 2 will start or IF there is a season 2?

• Homeland: Season 1

The first 8 episodes were great, exciting and everything a show like Homeland should be. But In the following episodes they kind of lost it. Especially in "Crossfire"... However episodes like "The Weekend" and the fantastic performance by Claire Danes makes this show worth a try. If you are a fan of 24 or Alias, don't miss this one.
  • amazing series

homeland is an exciting and suspenseful series that drags you in with every episode has great twists and very intelligent series, both lead characters are amazing at what they do and very believable... it was great to have a different show away from all the teen,reality,comedy shows...
  • Absolutely riveting with just one little problem.

This show is an edge of your seat extremely polished thriller of a show. Claire Danes deserves an Emmy for her performance of the mentally unbalanced CIA agent. And as for the season finale, forget every other post about them not wrapping it up satisfactorily, that would have killed the suspense that will keep us hanging waiting with baited breath for season 2. There is only one problem, which kept me from giving it the perfect score of 10. That problem is as a USMC veteran, I notice that from the stripes Brody wears keep changing him from an E-5 (Sergeant) to and E-7 (Gunnery Sergeant). The continuity there is severely lacking. Realistically speaking, Brody would probably have been an E-6 (Staff Sergeant) when he was captured judging by how old he is. And anybody in the USMC will know that an E-7 is not called Sergeant as they call him, but he would be called "Gunny". Just saying. They really need a USMC advisor on set to catch these glitches. Otherwise, I just can't get enough of this show.
  • Two thumbs up for this show

Wow. I honestly never thought I would say this but, this show is probably the best show on television right now. Homeland surprisingly has got my full attention.

In a nutshell this show is about a CIA interrogator (Claire Danes) that suspects a marine who was a POW for eight years of being turned into a terrorist by an Alquaida leader. As the story goes on she unveils tangled webs and tries to put the puzzle together, but nobody in the CIA intelligence really believes her enough to investigate her suspicions.

Homeland is grade A entertainment. I'm not even a big fan of military espionage dramas, but I watched the first season in 2 days online that is how much I enjoyed it. It keeps you guessing because the storyline is intricate and these writers actually think outside the box for a change. The cast are not just caricatures, but they really embody the roles they're playing. I even liked how they digged deep into the loneliness of Saul and Carrie. Balancing the storyline with other problems that distract from their job. I feel I overlooked Claire Danes as an actress, but I'm dead wrong because she is brilliant and definitely shines in this show. The whole cast is top notch.

I gave it 9 stars because this show is just starting out. There is more to come and I hope that it continues being this darn good. I wish people that think Falling Skies is so great will watch this show. Homeland sets such a high standard, which is what quality entertainment should be about, instead of trying to make a quick buck with crappy remakes, reality TV, and the other junk they force feed us.
  • Is Sgt. Nicholas Brody a hero or a terrorist?

After being missing, presumed dead in Iraq for eight years, US Marine Sgt. Nicholas Brody is found alive. When he returns as a hero to the United States, his country welcomes him with open arms, but CIA Agent Carrie Anderson, who spent five years working in Iraq is not so sure. Carrie believes he is a terrorist who is working with a group of others to plan an attack on US soil. The trouble is, at first, Carrie has a hard time getting others to believe her, including Saul, a long-time agent and friend who recruited her in the first place.

An excellent program, thrilling and suspenseful, and terrific work by all the principal actors, particularly Claire Danes.

This show is a must-see.

• Mike is awesome

Claire Danes is just over acting since she has not had a big feature title for so long. Damien (Brody) is the worse actor I have seen. Somebody should take him out of the show before he kills the Show.
  • The BEST drama on TV

Although I stream every time I see my cable bill, I pay it to watch this show.

Best written, acted, series. It will sweep the Emmy's.
  • Homeland-Muslims

The Series is pretty good and well researched.There's one thing though I'd like to add here.More than half of the population in some Arab countries are illiterate.And the governments in question are not interested in educating these people.For reasons I do not want to go into here.So they rely on the Imam to read and explain the Koran to them,that's what's going on in real life...

The other thing is that for a Muslim it is absolutely forbidden to commit suicide.

I think it would be helpful to include these facts in the series.Muslims are not automatically "bad" people.Some of them are just misled by their clerics who use ignorance,illiteracy,poverty and stupidity to their own ends.I am not a Muslim myself,but live in a Muslim Country since 15 years.

Their religion is all about tolerance.prayer,respect and family traditions.It basically says the same things the Bible says...

The scriptwriters should go in to that more.There is obviously a discrepancy between what the Koran says and how day to day life is led.The other thing is that they never agree to anything.And when they do the "deal" is hardly ever respected.That is a fact people in the West just can't get.You got one Arab,you got one opinion,you got two,three,four...etc.Don't overestimate them or their religious zeal.

Damian Lewis' portrayal of the main character is excellent.Although I doubt that in real life his character would have developed like it does in the series.Claire Danes' Character portrayal is a thing apart,she's very,very good in this.

I repeat I'm not a Muslim and I'm not even very fond of them (Arab Muslims,as not all Arabs are Muslims by the way),but try to portray these people more accurately in your TV-Series.I see it as a responsability for the Network to bring people of various religious beliefs together and I think you have the unique opportunity to do just that.

D.S.

• What just happened?

Two of the best actors out there, Claire Danes and Damian Lewis come together in a deeply engrossing psycological thriller that will leave you filled with doubts regardless of how sure you think you are about what's coming next. This show is partly so compelling because of it's relevance, partly because of the acting and partly because its just so damn good! Not only is the main story arc compelling but the writers have managed to create some of the deepest and most beautifully damaged characters on television at the moment.
  • It's beginning to look a lot like 24

Having just seen the Beirut episode, season 2's storyline is getting more ridiculous by the moment,. The foolishness starts with Brodie's flimsy reversal by cell phone in the bunker, Carrie's on-again off-again at a moment's notice illness, Brodie's unbelievable political rise, and ends tonight with his all-too-convenient inclusion in tonight's operation and the repetitious savior by cell at the last possible moment. Homeland is looking like the most incredulous episodes of 24. Now that I know that Howard Gordon is behind both shows, it all makes sense. It also means that if the writing remains the same, I'll stop watching. After a glorious first season, I didn't see how the series could credibly continue the storyline with all the main characters. It does continue, but only for those who didn't tire of 24.
  • Better Research perhaps necessary??

I really love this show and find it amazing, but I was very much disappointed when they showed Cyprus the way they did in the season premiere! First of all, Nicosia is nowhere near the beach and second of all we are not as backward as they presented us! Please do more research on countries you visit during the series next time!!
  • Progress of drama

Season 1 was great. Critics were on board, the network worked it's magic and the fans saw something new.

Season 2 started off even better. Time went by and the characters changed , they're role evolved, and the people at home got to see a continuation of the story, with few changes but with great progress. It's as if the writers understood that the people like the intrigue, but loved the thrilling chase, the hunt for intel and the assembly of the puzzle. A change is coming to a screen near you and you will not be dissapointed.

The genre isn't well represented these days so you'd be better off tuning in to see something new and not just another case of the week procedural, this show takes you threw 1 ideea, 1 plotline, and 1destination is allowed. Everyone knows where this is going and were holding on to dear life hopeing we don't miss something in the details (cause... they matter)
  • In for the thrill ride

Love so much about this show, but worried it will eventually go off the rails with all the twists. In for the ride anyway.
  • Great show, great actings

One of the best series ever.
  • Love this Show

Just wanted to say I love this show :)
  • season 1, season 2 episodes 1-3

i like season 1, season 2 episode 1 is a little slow but things started to get excited in episodes 2 and 3. after finishing episode 3, can't wait for the next episode to find out what is going to happen, perhaps brody will turn into a double agent?
< 1 2 3