The Clearing

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 11, 2012 on Showtime

• Contues to keep standards high

I haven't been disappointed with any episodes so far, including this one. I really liked the episode as it adds to the rich diversity of the story by revealing more of the characters than might be expected. Spending time on Brody's daughter seems more than in keeping with the shows story arc. She is a thoughtful young woman who idolises her Dad, who gets carried away with affairs of the heart like lots of teenagers but reflects on the values she has been taught to respect. The difference between right and wrong, between selfishness and deep concern for others. I watched the last few shows with a friend of mine and he immediately went ballistic when the Teens decided to leave the scene of the collision. After this episode he commented that he admired the daughter for realising her mistake and her bravery at fessing up. He said he hoped his daughter would do the same. I'm sure lots of other parents responded in a similar fashion.

Finally, in response to those who didn't like the show my view is simple; I expect some episodes to be edgy, some to be dramatic, some to be deep, and some to be thrilling. I don't expect all of these aspects in one episode even though many hollywood producers feel they have to give us the full chocolate box of emotions while they have our attention. Unlike those other shows Homeland 's producers go for the long haul and avoid manipulating the teleplay to ensure there is a mega-cliffhanger to end each episode. Of course it is a fiction but keeping the teleplay grounded in reality and the characters as normal as possible wins my vote every time.