Homicide: Life on the Street

Forgive Us Our Trespasses

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 21, 1999 on NBC

• If I could just find this one thing I can go home.

Homicide was the best damn show on television. This episode is one of the reasons.

They can pump us with all the bull they want about how the cancellation was a sudden surprise, but this episode (aired only two weeks after the announcement of the cancellation) was meant to be this show's swan song. They knew they were not returning.

Yes, there was always a question whether or not they'd get another season (with the exception of season 5 I think.) But this goes beyond that, they knew.

And that is a gift that a lot of televisions series don't get. An unceremonious cancellation this was not. The show went out on top with an episode that put one of it's best characters in a position to completely turn against everything he wanted to be and everything he became.

Bayliss was absolutely tanscendant. Allowing him the moment to completely echo of the first episode was a brilliant stroke.

Getting a chance to finally (finally?) put to rest the Gordon Pratt murder...(Yeah, I've always thought it was Munch as well...) that was a masterstroke.

One of the greatest joys of this series was always the connections with minor events and moments that had come before. Thie episode was no exception. It just builds on everything it was and takes it all full circle.

For a show that prided itself on not giving complete closure, this was surprising close to closing the case on an excellent show.

The Movie in my mind will always be a gift. The series ends here, and that was a wonderful ending.
  • A Decent Bookend to the series.

I do agree with FrakkingFrakker to a certain degree.

The mirroring of the beginning gave a sense of closure to the series - similarly to that of Hill Street Blues where Buntz has to turn in his badge.

The problem I had with the episode and subsequent movie, where the contradictions stemmed from the storylines - The Pratt killing at the time was viewed as justified by most of the squad. Bayliss was ostracised for interrogating fellow squad-members (particularly Munch), and Pembleton's pious defence of such retribution - "We're the good guys" went missing by the time the movie came around.

That said, this also gave closure to one of the better episodes of the season. The relationship stuff between Ballard and Falzone was pure drivel - and reported with so much disdain at the time the Homicide BBS renamed the characters Ballast and Calzone (the latter in honour of Charles Durning's assessment in an episode of season 6).
    The FBI Liaison officer role of Mike Gee only worked a couple of times (why couldn't he have just been a detective?), and Stivers almost usurped Ballard and Falzone to become the most annoying squad-member of the entire series.

The episodes that undoubtedly made the season watchable were the Kellerman PI double bill, Homicide.com and the closure of that story arc in this episode.

Paraphrasing the opening lines was also a nice touch - just a pity we had Jon Polito indirectly replaced with Michael Michele - who Tom Fontana suggested was brought in to add sex appeal. Did he not see Melissa Leo in season 1?

Essentially, and to offer a better conclusion than my rambling, this was the right conclusion to the season.

The Movie, despite a flimsy storyline supporting a myriad of cameos and not enough time to give them all meaningful stuff to do, gave us closure to the series.