Homicide: Life on the Street

Forgive Us Our Trespasses

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 21, 1999 on NBC

• If I could just find this one thing I can go home.

Homicide was the best damn show on television. This episode is one of the reasons.

They can pump us with all the bull they want about how the cancellation was a sudden surprise, but this episode (aired only two weeks after the announcement of the cancellation) was meant to be this show's swan song. They knew they were not returning.

Yes, there was always a question whether or not they'd get another season (with the exception of season 5 I think.) But this goes beyond that, they knew.

And that is a gift that a lot of televisions series don't get. An unceremonious cancellation this was not. The show went out on top with an episode that put one of it's best characters in a position to completely turn against everything he wanted to be and everything he became.

Bayliss was absolutely tanscendant. Allowing him the moment to completely echo of the first episode was a brilliant stroke.

Getting a chance to finally (finally?) put to rest the Gordon Pratt murder...(Yeah, I've always thought it was Munch as well...) that was a masterstroke.

One of the greatest joys of this series was always the connections with minor events and moments that had come before. Thie episode was no exception. It just builds on everything it was and takes it all full circle.

For a show that prided itself on not giving complete closure, this was surprising close to closing the case on an excellent show.

The Movie in my mind will always be a gift. The series ends here, and that was a wonderful ending.