Jon Seda & Michael Michele Williams murdered Homicide....

hdlc

[1]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 1
    ...with the help of some pretty lame writing on season seven.  I still scratch my head wondering why Jon Seda was added to what once was a phenomenal ensemble cast. I mean, really, the poor bloke can't act, looks way too young to be in a "big-city" homicide unit and --again-- he CAN'T act.! And while on the subject, Michael Michele Williams, pretty face, what more can I say?

-sigh-

R.I.P.

Such a fine show it was.

Edited on 10/28/2006 6:57pm
    Edited 5 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Cadeyrn749

[2]Oct 30, 2006
    • level: 4
    Bayliss looked really young too. I thought Seda was alright. But Sheppard and Stivers pissed me the hell off.

BabyKitten199

[3]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 7
    Stivers wasn't that bad, it was Ballard & Gharty that ruined it for me!  I could not stand Callie Thorne from day one & I think she & John Seda & Michael Michele's weak performances that helped bring an end to a once great series.  When I heard it was cancelled, I wasn't surprised & wasn't even that disappointed to see it go since it had deteriorated so much.

thedjmic

[4]Jan 12, 2007
    Killing off Crossetti was the dumbest move they ever made. I love that Salami head. I know TV ratings are all about sex, but you need the acting and characters to get to that point. Bad move.
    Edited on 01/12/2007 9:17am

YourGardenAngel

[5]Jan 21, 2007
    I agreed. Let me give my complete list of characters that sunk Homicide, and who I could not stand watching: John Seda/aka, Falsone; Callie Thorne/aka, Ballard; Michael Michele/aka, Rene Shepard; and Stu Gharaty/aka, Peter Garety. Toni Lewis/aka, Terri Stivers I liked, but the writing staff did not seem to know where to put her. Oftentimes, she appeared to be drifting in the squad room. Gharaty, I can not stand. He is a cheap knock-off of Bolander. And tell me, how does he go from being an incompetent coward, waiting for retirement, to the elevated realm of a homicide detective -- I do not buy it. Perhaps, budgetary concerns got this inferior actor in. I missed Michelle Forbes/aka, Dr.Jessica Cox. When we see her speeding away in her white Mustang from the homicide waterfront setting, we should have taken this as a strong omen that it was curtains for Homicide: life on the streets -- and indeed it would soon be.

hlotschick

[6]Feb 8, 2007
    If only NBC would have left the producers alone and quit making them add "prettier" people to the cast...   I hated Dr.Cox, Shepard, Falsone, Ballard, Gharty. The show's cast was fine 'til the added Michelle Forbes. And I didn't didn't like when they broke up Lewis and Kellerman.

logossun

[7]Feb 11, 2007
    • level: 18
    It's not about pretty people, it's whether they are good actors and cast well. Cox was cast extremely well. "Tim" and "Bayliss" worked just fine and grew into their roles, added their share of "meat".
    It happens, though - you put bad writing in, bring in too much new blood and it all starts to fall appart.
    I do get what you mean, though - look at Studio 60.

hlotschick

[8]Feb 11, 2007
    the pretty people thing came from a (joking)comment from Tom Fontana that Homicide had "the ugliest cast on television" and the fact that NBC execs never liked Melissa Leo 'cause she wasn't "feminine" enough. Up until they added Michelle Forbes ,Homicide had a great cast, but had actors that weren't "hot" by Hollywood standards . NBC was bossy and made the producers change a lot of things to stay on the air, not realizing that they were changing things that made Homicide stand out from all the cookie-cutter cop shows. 

thedjmic

[9]Feb 12, 2007

Mellisa Leo was great on the show. The whole point of her character was feminism. Some of the best dialogue is when she asks her partner if he finds her attractive "Do you think I'm hot"? NBC tried to add more sex to the show, totally dismissing the point in the early characters.

I have worked in the entertainment business long enough to know that if it works...management will change it. If it doesn't work... management will change it. It keeps consultants/advisors/VP's on the payroll.

Most of the changes to Homicide were reaction to sour ratings. NBC thought they could just "add sex" and make it better. Of course, as usual, management missed the point of the show.

FrakkingFrakker

[10]Feb 12, 2007
    • level: 28

While I admit that looks had much to do with casting, and I will stray from critiquing acting...Falsone was a good a necessary character. The Kellerman/Mahoney thing had to come to a head and it would need an outsider to keep pressing and keep it alive. There needed to be that animosity to keep it alive. I didn't think he looked that out of place, I even thought he worked...though not the best actor on the show.

Michael Michelle, no purpose. None whatso-ever other than sexing up the show.

Gharty? Eh. Yeah, I'll agree that they were trying to get a Bolander vibe...or at least the sentiments of an older mentor. I disliked what they did with his character, but...when I really think about it...agreeing again with a previous statement, his origin and how he ended up in Homicide was...well, suspect.

Stivers was good as support. Moving her into the squad made sense, but...she was a non-entity. Keep her as a good recurring role. Would have made sense.

Ballard...eh. Yeah definitely for the soap opera aspect.

Out of the bunch... Stivers and Falsone made sense.

Cox I was okay with. She worked well, and I think she's a fine actress.

thedjmic

[11]Feb 16, 2007
    FrakkingFrakker wrote:

Gharty? Eh. Yeah, I'll agree that they were trying to get a Bolander vibe...or at least the sentiments of an older mentor. I disliked what they did with his character, but...when I really think about it...agreeing again with a previous statement, his origin and how he ended up in Homicide was...well, suspect.

Though not qualified, they did make it seem believable, IMO, for getting Gharty into Homicide. Many of us have worked with Upper Management enough to know that many of them will find a way to SCREW UP anything that works. When Barnfather started rotating detectives into Homicide, we knew it was the beginning of the end. Homicide could no longer be the elite, as they were rotating in average cops.

nipsey

[12]Mar 28, 2007
    I agree with the original poster. But I think it was a mob killing perpetrated by all of the following: Ballard, Gharty, Falsone, Sheppard, and Mike G. They really did nothing but irk me.

Ballard: Too young to be a Homicide Detective. Gharty: Like someone said above, how did he go from being a coward afraid of entering projects and let two guys kill each other, to being a member of the "Murder Police"?

Falsone: I disagree with someone above. He was NOT a necessary addition. They coulda let that Mahoney thing die. Or brought in an IAD detective to investigate it. Like The Shield did with Forest Whitaker last year. Plus, he was pushing waaay too hard on trying to find out what really happened, to end up saying, when he was called on his uber curiousity, he "just wanted to know what kinda squad he was getting into.

Sheppard: I like Michael Michelle. But she was lightweight compared to the other actors on the show. Nothing more than a pretty face.

Mike G.: Totally unecessary. They just wanted to create some conflict for Giardello.

Dr. Cox: Didn't mind. Didn't really damage the show.

Terry Stivers: I love me some Terry. It was a natural fit for her to join the squad. Plus she had that history with Kellerman and Lewis and was a part of that whole Mahoney storyline. Like someone said above, they didn't really give her anything to do.

With all that being said. The show was still the GOAT despite that craptacular last season.

holywood_07

[13]Apr 19, 2007

first of all, jon seda isnt  bad actor. your just a very bad critic. as a matter of fact, i think mr. seda should recieve more independent roles because of his honest and caring charisma. on camera, as well as off. its seems as if we congradulate actors who live a rock star life,partying and all, and dont take time to see the importance of values anymore. so kudos to you and your ignorant self and i really hope u learn your facts

shsteve

[14]Apr 20, 2007
    • level: 15

Okay it's been a while since I've watched Homicide but you have to ask yourself (like I did)...

Can you remember anything memorable that the later cast did compared to the original bunch?

I really struggle for an answer to be honest. It's horrible when a show about the cases shifts focus on the personal lives. Blame the writing rather than the actors, though one or two were dire and just got the gig with pure luck. I think it sums it all up when they brought a few oldies back for the finale.

quote12

[15]May 9, 2007
    • level: 6

I support the premise of this thread, but as some of the other comments here indicate, the addition of these two terrible actors was only emblematic of the larger problems the show faced. It's surprising H:LOTS lasted as long as it did on an American broadcast network, run by empty suits constantly pushing for prettier faces and more sensationalistic plots. (Think of the horrible telemovie tagged on when Court TV bought the residual rights.) The gradual erosion of the writing under this pressure was equally to blame with the poor casting choices. I do think the Gharty character could have been interesting, though, and with more insulation on cable, 'The Wire' presents a more realistic view of how people rise or fall or get warehoused within the Baltimore police.

mm668771

[16]May 17, 2007
    • level: 10

simple-blame the network. whether you liked/disliked certain cast additions/storylines, they essentially killed the integrity of the show. i still have all of it on dvd because it is still very solid, but the network ripped it apart from the seams. and the dvds play so much better because all the episodes are in thier INTENDED order.

as for jon polito's characther from season one who went missing and later found dead in season 2; he was cut from the show because he was unhappy with wanting a bigger contract and having to be stuck in baltimore 9-10 months out of the year for filming.

jdms74

[17]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 8

I am just about done watching all of Homicide on dvd. I have to agree that season 7 was the worst of all of them. I happen to like Stivers. I hated that Cox left, she was great. I hate the ME on season 7 Griscom. I also wish they had left Bayliss' character alone. I miss the old box too.

One questionsion, at the end of season 5 & begining of season 6 they said the detectives were going to be on a 3 month rotation (kind stupid) but you only saw detectives rotated in, you never saw anyone leave homicide for 2 years. Couldn't they come up with a better storyline then that to get new detectives in there?

RebeccaAnne

[18]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 15
    I know the rotation was kind of stupid but it was based on the rotation system which really had been implemented in Baltimore, which also was kind of stupid. Because of this system, Homicide was no longer the elite of the Baltimore police as anyone could be rotated into it, or so I understand. From what I also understand, they eventually got rid of it in Baltimore. But yeah, I hate the way it is used in Homicide. Kay was supposed to have been rotated out. Everyone who rotates in though, with the exception of Gharty, seems to be young and what the NBC executives would call good looking. I also hate how these new members seem to become the focus of the show at the expensive of some of the older and better loved characters. I also hate how they make seem that Falsone is so good and righteous while Mike becomes a bad cop. I hate how the two of them are pitted against each other and the audience is expected to root for Falsone. Futhermore it is not realistic for a cop who is not in IAB to investigate another cop. The more I watch the 6th and 7th seasons (I have watched both seasons twice now) the more times I hate Falsone. Okay, I'm ending my rant now.

knoper

[19]Jul 10, 2007
    • level: 2

Seda's a decent actor, but he was just shoved into the show wwwaaayyy too fast. Kellerman, par example, was introduced in two episodes, then in the background for a bit, then became accustomed and in the swing of things. Falsone was just instant, I'm here, I'm investigating another cop, and my kid, my kid, my ex-wife, my kid... (puke) Ballard became somewhat believeable after they dropped the "supercop" thing and got the silly side plots (Her afraid of going out) out of the way.

Michelle was like a terrible fan fiction character...she walks in, everyone falls in love with her, solves cases, treated unfairly, etc. Really, just kind of desperation.

MarkKellerman

[20]Sep 25, 2007
    Shiner ruled. My favorite character no question and hands down.The last M.E. was funny too,I forget his name. Too bad that Kellerman got penalized for his partner (Lewis) getting his gun taken (the irony that Shepard got her gun taken when partnered with Lewis was kind of interesting)and I wish they'd kept him (Kellerman)on the show. Hated the characters Falsone,Ballard,Shepard and 'the new' Bayliss. 'Gee' was the man though. Loved that guy. Bolander, Munch,Crosetti and Pempleton all great at their jobs--wonderful performers. Gaffney, what a wanker. You just wanted him to get his comeuppance and good! Great show, but the cast at the end was lousy in relation to the original--I didn't want to root for very many of them. Too bad, great show. Is the movie available yet? Will it ever air on WGN or Sleuth? Thank you very much, all my best,Mark.