Jon Seda & Michael Michele Williams murdered Homicide....

lawgotham

[21]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 13
    Both actors are fine, by the time Seda and Michelle joined the cast, the writing was on a downward spiral. It was sad to see the demise of this show, the final season just slipping away to cancellation.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MarkKellerman

[22]Nov 22, 2007
    • level: 4
    I must preface my post by saying that I detest the phrase 'jump the shark' on pure principle: I argue that 'Happy Days' didn't TRULY start going downhill until they burned down 'Arnolds'. Ergo, I use the phrase 'burnt down Arnolds' to decibe when a show begins its' downward descent. As a side note (and proof that I watch way too much tv), I also use the phrase 'killed off Lem', a reference to the show 'The Shield', as a way to describe when a tv show does something that makes the people involved in the shows production puff out their chest eager to soak in the critical acclaim, as the fan base of the show becomes angry, no longer wanting to watch the show. 24 also did this when they killed off Palmer, Almeida,Edgar etc. seemingly for shock value, not caring about what fans of the show want. To the group: At what point, what exact episode,did Homicide 'burn down Arnolds'? Did it ever get to the point that they 'killed off Lem'?
    Edited on 11/22/2007 5:26pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Cancergirl41

[23]Jan 18, 2008

I certainly don't believe that Jon Seda and Michael Michele Williams had "murdered" HOMICIDE.

Jon Seda had joined at the beginning of Season 6. Quite frankly, I thought that Season 6 was pretty damn good, culminating in Kellerman's departure from the police force and Pemberton's resignation in a VERY memorable episode. I have only see one episode of Season 7, so I cannot judge that particular season. And although I realize that I may be among the few, I rather liked Jon Seda as Paul Falsone. However, Michael Michele Williams as Dectective Shepperd is another matter. I don't know, but she seems out of place on that show.

Let's face it . . . during the seven seasons it was on the air, HOMICIDE barely survived. It had never really enjoyed good ratings. And it was a miracle that NBC did not cancel the show a lot sooner than 1999. I think that the fans should thank their lucky stars that a show with such notorious low ratings managed to stay on the air for seven seasons.

Edited on 01/18/2008 12:00pm
    Edited 3 total times.

WittyName

[24]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 6
    MarkKellerman wrote:
    I must preface my post by saying that I detest the phrase 'jump the shark' on pure principle: I argue that 'Happy Days' didn't TRULY start going downhill until they burned down 'Arnolds'. Ergo, I use the phrase 'burnt down Arnolds' to decibe when a show begins its' downward descent. As a side note (and proof that I watch way too much tv), I also use the phrase 'killed off Lem', a reference to the show 'The Shield', as a way to describe when a tv show does something that makes the people involved in the shows production puff out their chest eager to soak in the critical acclaim, as the fan base of the show becomes angry, no longer wanting to watch the show. 24 also did this when they killed off Palmer, Almeida,Edgar etc. seemingly for shock value, not caring about what fans of the show want. To the group: At what point, what exact episode,did Homicide 'burn down Arnolds'? Did it ever get to the point that they 'killed off Lem'?

I think they closest they ever got to "killing off Lem" would be when they wrote off the Frank Pembleton character. I'm not sure if Andre Braugher wanted to leave or not, which would probably explain it, but Braugher was arguably the star of the show. His character was one of the driving forces of the show, and he won an Emmy for the role, and they had just aired the episode "The Subway," I believe. Getting rid of Pembleton was a pretty silly move.

I don't think Jon Seda was nearly as bad as everyone makes out. I actually found myself enjoying his work occasionally, in spite of the attitude attached to the character. I agree that the character was basically begging for applause, when he had not earned it, but there are some great Falsone moments. The writing and acting themselves weren't to blame, but rather the studio executives probably demanding a new, young hot-shot cliche. There are moments where I feel that Seda and the writers came this close *holds up fingers* to breaking away from that.

The Terri Stivers character had its importance to the series, but I don't know if she should have been added full-time to the series, because she never really felt like she fit in. Maybe the occasional appearance here or there. The whole "she was outside of Homicide" thing gave her character charm. They could have maybe just had her a regular at the Waterfront.

Laura Ballard, in my opinion, was fine. I liked the idea of the super cop from Seattle. If only Melissa Leo was still around at the time to have a rivalry with her, or something.

Stuart Gharty was an interesting character. I liked it how he showed up as a patrolman in an earlier episode, and then you got to see where the character went. Peter Gerety was really good in the role, and I liked how he was sort of meant to be disliked. I can't have been the only one who wanted to see Munch kick Gharty around. Perhaps he should have only been there for one season, though, before getting rotated out (to keep the rotation story going, and because the character really didn't need even a whole season for a check-up). Michael Michele wasn't that bad. I liked her with Munch, even though they never really interacted. Her character felt as realistic as it could have, given the circumstances. I loved it when she got beaten. It provided a really great story, in my opinion. I think it should have led to Shepard transferring out, though. Julianna Cox was not one of my favourite characters, but I can understand why people liked her. If I were a woman, I probably would have smacked her across the face, but that's the charm of her character, I guess. They all had their little flaws and whatnot.

Cancergirl41

[25]Jan 29, 2008
    I'm now watching Season 7's "Kellerman, P.I." and had witnessed Kellerman and Stivers' little quarrel on the courthouse steps! Wow! Reed Diamond and Toni Lewis really gave it their all in this scene. They were fabulous. And the two-part episode, which ended on a downer, was one of the best I have seen.

Cancergirl41

[26]Jan 30, 2008

The Terri Stivers character had its importance to the series, but I don't know if she should have been added full-time to the series, because she never really felt like she fit in. Maybe the occasional appearance here or there. The whole "she was outside of Homicide" thing gave her character charm. They could have maybe just had her a regular at the Waterfront.

I have no problem with Teri Stivers as part of the ensemble cast. I rather liked her and thought that the writers could have done more with her character. Instead, the wrters focused more on glamour girl Rene Sheppherd and her conflict with people not taking her seriously, due to her looks. Honestly, I could have done without her.

vontees

[27]Feb 5, 2008
    • level: 1
    ratings killed homicide

Cancergirl41

[28]Feb 6, 2008

vontees wrote:
    ratings killed homicide

Ratings killed HOMICIDE over a period of seven seasons.

SVU17

[29]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 14
    I thought that jon seda's character was a fine detective. He gave every case his all. Michael Michele's character however, I too could have done without. NBC was too worried about making pretty detectives rather than real detectives, which is obviously not the fault of the writers. My favorite seasons are 5 and 6. 7 was okay, but without Andre Braugher.... well enough said.

nicmar19422

[30]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 7
    For the record Andre left the show of his own free will it was a huge loss that was never really made up for. As for the new detectives in season 6 and 7 the only one I really liked was Stivers she was a part of the Mahoney investigation from the begining and felt like a natural addition. The rest I did not care for first Garvy the first time we see him he is a coward and next time he is IAD so how does this get him to Homicide people don't rotate out of IAD because they investigate other cops so if new detectives were rotated in they might not be trust worthy also the blue code is in play other would not work with a member of the "rat squad" Falzone had the same issue he did not fit in Homicide, the members of the Homicide unit are said to be the elite but Falzone came from auto theft. finding a stolen car or catching a car thef is not the same a sovlving a murder, one is a property crime one is a crime against a person. Ballard meh I did not really like her and the romance between her and Falzone was somthing the producers stated was a weak point of the show. the less said about Michael Michele's Shepard the better. The show kept calling attention to her looks and brought up her being a beauty queen a lot in the first half of season 7 then came the beatdown and she whined and was reckless. I will admit that she was good in Homicide.com and the final episode Kyle carried her to a few notable sceens

WittyName

[31]Feb 24, 2009
    • level: 6
    Paul Falsone would have made a great background character. Or if they had slightly rotated him so he wasn't so "virtuous" and we weren't meant to indentify with him so much. For example: In the Subway episode, the scene where Meldrick Lewis and Paul Falsone are discussing how Falsone went to a funeral home just after his grandmother died, or something, and how he was thinking "I could nail this girl." That was awesome.