What's the better show Law & Order or Homicide: Life on the Street?

etienne1

[1]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 1
    Although Law & Order has run for a much longer period of time, as far as the quality of the show, I'll take Homicde over L & O anytime. This show was gritty, you didn't get a happy ending every time and it was more complex than L & O. Law & order is too simple and routine. I'm still a big fan of it though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CSM135

[2]Nov 22, 2006
    • level: 22
    I love Homicide but i also love L&O:SVU. Actually i started watching Homicide because Munch is in it.

swifty74

[3]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 26
    Homicide

WinterHood

[4]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 8
    To me, Homicide, by far. Still the best show I have ever seen.

musicwench

[5]Dec 16, 2006
    • level: 2
    Easily Homicide. Of course I do love LOCI. But then I'm incredibly fascinate by Vincent D'Onofrio ever since his guest appearance on this show in Subway. Over all, however, Homicide wins hands down. It's probably the best show ever produced by network television.

Mabelyn1

[6]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 20
    well am true to Law and order SVU

amapain

[7]Dec 30, 2006
    Homicde is not only the better show in this comparision but to any other drama ever on TV. Not to take anyting away from the L&O shows, the formula for them is great. The problem is that it is a formula and you rarley get a different answer when  you use the same formula over and over.

RebeccaAnne

[8]Jan 7, 2007
    • level: 15
    I loved Law and Order. I watched Law and Order way before I began watching Homicide. In fact for a long time the only episodes of Homicide I had ever seen were the second parts of the Law and Order/Homicide crossovers. I still love Law and Order but since becoming addicted to Homicide I can definitely say that Law and Order pales in comparison.

irishslider

[9]Feb 6, 2007
    Homicide by far was a better show than any of the Law and Orders.  I do enjoy watching L&O from time to time, but it tends to be too standard, every episode follows the same format, the same procedures.  In Homicide you get a lot of drama and variance, plus the camera-on-the-shoulder filming is amazing.  Also, I live in Baltimore so obviously I have a strong bias.

hlotschick

[10]Feb 8, 2007
    Homicide, hands down. Better than any cop show

FrakkingFrakker

[11]Feb 12, 2007
    • level: 28

Homicide was a better a show than Law and Order is.  I feel this way because there's no way you could franchise Homicide. It was unique and original. It wasn't your typical cop show, which I know was offputting to many people.

Not adhereing to a strict formula helped Homicide tell the stories it needed to tell.

And...the major thing...the fact that they didn't have the easy answer every week, they didn't always solve the case.

Their flawed characters were amazingly complex.  It was a good show.  So well written.

(and very nice to people who try to sneak on the sets too. *wink*)

kellydineen2

[12]Feb 13, 2007
    Homicide definitely! For some mad reason its no longer on TV in the UK but thankfully the DVD is going to be availabe in the UK for the first time on 26 Feb

quote12

[13]May 9, 2007
    • level: 6

As Homer Simpson says, "Do I know what rhetorical means?" Since you posted this question on the H:LOTS board, I presume you do. The L&O franchise is the most routine, predictable, by-the-numbers procedural since "Dragnet." In contrast, "H:LOTS" was for several years the best show on US television, and one the greatest ever. It's been marginally surpassed by "The Wire," but cable has much more freedom to be realistic than the NBC suits ever gave H:LOTS.

LSU_ALUMNI

[14]May 14, 2007
    • level: 7

Homicide was more ground breaking it paved the way for many shows we watch now. CSI and NCIS come to mind but Law & Order has also been a staple in Criminal Justice Television.

Personally I will take Homicide any day of the week but I also loved the Homicide - Law & Order crossovers.

Cadeyrn749

[15]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 4
    Law And Order was more influential, but Homicide was better by leaps and bounds. Leaps and bounds. The only thing that Homicide didn't have, was Jerry Orbach, and they did have him a few times.

ambami

[16]Aug 29, 2007

I love "Homicide" and have since the first time I saw it, when Robin Williams did something Very Serious on Television, something I'd never seen before. Obviously this was early days. Was it even on NBC yet then? I don't remember.

"Law and Order" took something like 18 years to grow on me, however. Maybe because it was SOOOoo popular, such a "franchise," etc., that it turned me off. Two years ago I happened on one of the many "marathons," this one of SVU shows, and I was hooked -- precisely for the aspect many of you have claimed L&O *doesn't* have: unpredictable and/or ambiguous endings. More than once I've been surprised to see the ending titles on these shows long before any real resolution of the cases. Even dear Jack McCoy found himself flummoxed by ambiguity sometimes. Bobby Goren, now, there's a guy who gets a nice pat formula confession, and I love his show too!

Then again, I've been rewatching the first TV episodes of "Dragnet" and finding them fascinating, too. All our favorite cop shows have Dragnet to thank, formulaic sanitized preachy endings and all. So probably I don't have any actual taste.

The Easily Entertained,
    Ambami

seaqueastdsv

[17]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 12
    sorry but for me its a draw. i loved they way they sometimes did a cross over it was great. now munch is on law and order svu l think he is a great character

lawgotham

[18]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 13
    Homicide, hands down. While Law and Order tends to rehash some cases (except for SVU which is still fresh), Homicide always had a new approach to the crimes and the characters. And how about a show that has a recurring villian...Luther. Pure deception and evil.

MarkKellerman

[19]Nov 22, 2007
    • level: 4
    'Homicide' or 'The Shield'? Since this is a Homicide forum, I can guess the outcome. That's not the real point anyway, it's the discussion that makes this fun.

lawgotham

[20]Nov 23, 2007
    • level: 13

"Homicide Life on the Street" is my favorite show all time, because there are no car chases, there are no bullets flying, it's all mind-play and it's real detective work.

However, "The Shield" is all grit and mayhem that exemplifies a different kind of detective. Maybe it's because they are all (well almost all) corrupt. But it's another show I look forward to (when it's on, Geez 10-12 episodes is not enough for a season). I guess in the street cop (not beat cop) genre it is probably the best.