What's up with the cast crossovers with L&O ?

orangerr95

[1]Sep 1, 2008
    • level: 4
    OK so I'll admit, I've only seen the show 4 mabye 5 times, but I really noticed a huge crossover with Law and Order in the episode "Sideshow". It's not just actors though, it's characters too!! I'd understand if Homicide was made by Dick Wolf too, but it's not! Can someone explaine this to me?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jem_snaps

[2]Oct 24, 2008
    • level: 6
    there were one or two case (if two, then two diff seasons i think) that crossed juristiction so l&o cast had to go to baltimore and i think vise versa. also Tom Fontana and Dick Wolf i believe are good friends. if you watch Homicide/L&O/OZ/SVU i do believe you'll notice, maybe not the same characters, but references to other shows or just the same actors in diff eps. like in the Homicede: movie ep there was a scene where Mike G changed the channel on the tv to some kiddie show. that was the "ms sally" show from OZ. and also i think people showed up on The Wire too but i don't watch that.

chris meloni svu/oz
    dean winters homicide/oz/svu
    b d wong oz/svu

Hoeech

[3]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 66
    The crossovers were an attempt by NBC to harness the staggering popularity of the original Law & Order series to boost viewership of Homicide: Life on the Street. Both shows were extremely well written, but Homicide always suffered from low ratings.

It is true that Tom Fontana and Dick Wolf are good friends and they collaborated on storylines frequently. It's also the reason why so many of the same actors appear on both shows, as well as Oz (another Fonatana show)

SunSpeed

[4]Jan 21, 2009
    • level: 30

I'll post in this thread instead of starting a new thread for the Law and Order and Homicide: Life on the Street crossovers.

When testing out my copies of the Seasons 4 and 6 boxsets of Homicide: Life on the Street I was pleased to see a worded recap of the Law and Order episode (which was the first part of the crossover story) along with a "Previously on Law and Order..." recap. However when I tested out the Season 7 boxset I found there was only a worded recap of the first part of "Sideshow" (on Law and Order) and no "Previously on Law and Order" recap. Why was this?