Horatio Hornblower Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on ITVBetween Seasons

Show Status

RJ-viewer

[1]Apr 15, 2006
    • level: 51
    Here's where we talk about possible future installments.

In a nutshell, A&E is doing more reality type shows now, so they are not interesting in helping Grenada to foot the bill to make any more installments.

On the other hand, Ioan has been lobbying for a big screen version. Of course that would be helped by the success of any other projects he's in.

Any thoughts? Big Screen Horry? What do you think?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

koopy

[2]May 29, 2006
    • level: 19
    i would love a big screen hornblower and see Horatio as a full blown capitan and on the indy no less.

squishyhippo

[3]Jun 5, 2006
    • level: 33

This is one of the finest period dramas that the UK has ever produced. The stories are clever, witty, funny and heabreaking. The last episode which aired in Australia broke Sunday night records. If the next one were to be made into a film I think it would do very well.

Besides, they need to make the other stories. The Flying Colours to Lord Hornblower are by far the best adventures!!

koopy

[4]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 19
    theres an utter crapload of books arn't there? and we are only up to him being cpt of the inty too. I WANT MORE!!

squishyhippo

[5]Jun 17, 2006

Yeah there's plenty of books - we've done the first 8 which covers the first two books (of 11)

RJ-viewer

[6]Aug 14, 2006
    As the over-all story of Hornblower's life goes, some of the major characters haven't even been seen yet! (Barbara and Brown)

squishyhippo

[7]Sep 10, 2006
    I've just finished watching the entire series on DVD. God I miss this series. I desperately want another installment

gabfan31

[8]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 100
    Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but they really took liberties with the books. I wish they had been more faithful to C.S. Forrester's vision- the laconic, yet intense man who tortures himself with constant second guessing. The real Horatio Hornblower was loved and respected, but he's not a man that people have a personal relationship with, and he NEVER explains himself, especially to a subordinate! It was quite a shock when I went from the A&E series to the books. But I guess that's just the finicky purist in me, I can't deny the movies were greatly entertaining. But they weren't as good as the comparable series by Patrick O"Brian and the Russell Crowe movie "Master and Commander" that was based on them. Now that is something I'd love to see get a sequel! And I don't even like Russell Crowe!

grizly-sword

[9]Feb 24, 2007
    • level: 4
    A Big Screen Version Would be the right thing to do, the first book is on 3 hours in the show.

RJ-viewer

[10]Aug 22, 2007
    gabfan31 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but they really took liberties with the books. I wish they had been more faithful to C.S. Forrester's vision- the laconic, yet intense man who tortures himself with constant second guessing. The real Horatio Hornblower was loved and respected, but he's not a man that people have a personal relationship with, and he NEVER explains himself, especially to a subordinate! It was quite a shock when I went from the A&E series to the books. But I guess that's just the finicky purist in me, I can't deny the movies were greatly entertaining. But they weren't as good as the comparable series by Patrick O"Brian and the Russell Crowe movie "Master and Commander" that was based on them. Now that is something I'd love to see get a sequel! And I don't even like Russell Crowe!

Of course if you're complaining about being acurate to the books you should hate the Master and Commander series which jumbled parts of two books together and added lots of other stuff.

dastryaize

[11]Jan 1, 2010
    • level: 2
    I would really enjoy a big screen version of Horatio Hornblower, especially if Ioan Gruffudd stars again. A further mini-series for TV would be welcome, also. The current series seemed to end on a bit of a low note.

mike__tv

[12]Aug 3, 2011
    • level: 1

Either as a mini series or feature film, this excellent series needs to continue. Please let it continue.