A Hostages Community
CBS (ended 2014)
Did you watch Episode 3 - Power of Persuasion?

The story gets complicated. The two different forces implicated in the plot against the President are now also antagonized. This gives room to have a real bad guy and a fake bad guy that can join the good cause at the end. We still don't know anything about the motives of any of the two, though. But one of them already tried to kill the other one, so I dare say that the Chief of Staff's team is the real bad guy for now. What are your thoughts on this?

Ellen has reached to Carlisle's daughter - trying to find out more about the guy that keeps her family hostage. It is strange that they have not put a tracking device on her. They assumed that she would not do anything to put her family in danger. But she had already played the trick of changing medicines. I could buy that they didn't put the device so that it would not bring attention on metal detectors. I think the best actor in this episode was that little girl, Carlisle's daugher!

What do you think about the family? I'm still having problems with the way the show is acted. And the lack of chemistry between the Sanders. But maybe it will build up as it goes.

Is the show following a path that is too obvious? Or does it manage to surprise? What do you think?

Comments (11)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think it was the best episode so far, with Toni Collette winning the best actress award by far. Though the little girl was pretty good as well:).
I bet the nurse is still alive, the secret service chief obviously caught the scent of something off about Dr. Sanders and that the weak link on the team of the "good" bad guys is Sandrine as she has the role of being the divisive force and the only one their without a "good" motive for being there.

And yes, one does have to suspend disbelief about any kidnappers believing this sort of open hostaging (can I use that as a verb?) could work for more than a day, but if you do that, I find it really enjoyable. There is a lot going on for sure, which also begs some suspended disbelief but in order to make this work as a series, had to be expected surely. So, I'll keep watching this as a fun show.
Flag
I actually hoped Hostages would play like Flashpoint. At first I thought it would, with the hostage take-down. Then it turned to a 90 minute movie premise.

This episode made me doubt a few things about how clever the would be President murderers are.

They seem to have no harmony in their team - they seem to have no shared goal. Not good.

They seem to be distracted from their tasks. Not good.

Dr. Sanders should have some sort of surveillance, really she should. Why leave her to her own accord?

At first the Carlisle bad-guys looked capable, now they are almost getting killed off one at a time. Daly could have been blown away if one of the dealers had had a gun... Which they didn't.

Flag
Yes, I also got the impression that too many things are failing for the kidnappers. Feels like they need a lot of luck on their side to make the assasination actually happen before they are noticed. The plan lost strengh as soon as the surgery was delayed. A lot of strengh. Now it's a whole different story. I still need to see if this is what will make the story interesting. Or if it will just be a very big mess of a story.

They have surveillance on the doctor, just not a tracking device, but they have cameras on her. Still, they are not very good at this when their main surveillance target, not being a professional spy or anything, can just fool them that easily.
Flag
To be honest I watch "Hostages" for just two reasons: a.) Toni Collette b.) it's a monday's show so for me it doesn't have any competitors in the drama category. I kind of expect that CBS will cancel the show before the first season wraps up (assuming the writers are even considering the second one).

The whole story could work for 3 - 4 episode mini-series. 13 episodes seems way too much. How many times will they delay the president's operation?

I agree there is absolutely no chemistry between the Sanders. Also I suspect the black guy didn't kill the nurse cause they didn't find her body.
Flag
I suppose the whole story will happen in these two weeks of delay for the operation. If there are more delays, that would be too much! I would not be surprised about a cancellation of the show neither. I'm also on this for Toni Collette mainly. This show should be more about the new relationships between the characters, we should see how they develop and affect the main plot. But it is going too slow on that side, I fear, and I still don¡t have strong connections with anyone.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members