A Hostages Community
CBS (ended 2014)

Hostages S01E01: "Pilot"

When it comes to TV pilots, there are the really good pilots (few and far between), the really bad pilots (a little more likely than the good ones), and a whole lot of problematic, mediocre pilots (most of them). It's really easy to look at something like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and be excited, or to sample Dads pilot and want to burn down Fox HQ. But working through shows like Hostages that have a few solid elements but a lot of disappointing nonsense? Ugh, much more difficult. 

Much of the early criticism of Hostages has focused on how the narrative will stretch across 15 episodes per season, or multiple seasons. However, that doesn't necessarily worry me. There are tons of shows that, when they began, faced big questions about how they could possibly sustain their premise—Lost and 24 immediately come to mind. The thing is, good shows overcome those questions with solid storytelling that makes you forget about the potential lifespan of the plot. Hostages could become one of those shows by the end of its first season, but right now the future isn't the problem, it's the present. This pilot episode didn't waste any time establishing the hostage situation and the clear stakes involving Dr. Ellen Sanders, her family, and the president. However, none of the characters seemed especially interesting here, which means it was really easy to start asking questions about all those things Hostages doesn't want us to ask questions about. How is this a show? What does Episode 7 look like? Does Dylan McDermott experience emotion like a human?

Even early on, it seems like Hostages is at war with itself. The pilot wasted absolutely no time jumping into the proverbial hostage situation and pushing Ellen toward making hard choices, which suggests that writer/director Jeffrey Nachmanoff knows that this is a show needs to keep the story moving along, with enough twists and turns to keep the audience entertained, but not necessarily thinking about the logistics of any one decision or maneuver. And I think that intuition is correct. However long Hostages lasts, it's never going to be a Serious Drama; to succeed, it must embrace the inherent silliness of the conceit, and probably ramp it all up to 11. 

However, although there were moments in the pilot that seemed like the show understood this, so many times the action slowed down for more contemplative moments that simply did not work. It's really nice to have Toni Collette back on television with a consistent gig, but she was mostly left to react to terrifying situations and spout out cliches about saving her family. The pilot's final few moments gave Collette's Dr. Sanders the kind of 'win' that network executives love and kept the narrative rolling, but it's not the triumph that the pilot wants us to think it is. Messing with the medication to thin the president's blood (or at least make it look like that's what happened) wasn't especially surprising or innovative... which only made me start wondering about the longevity of the premise again. 

The other members of the Sanders family were, in some ways, given more to do than the show's star. Shows like this almost have to use the kids to drum up the drama, but also to introduce the kind of backdoor secrets that come out at the worst possible time, and those scenes were just fine. There's nothing yet interesting about the daughter's secret relationship or the son's secret stash and drug-dealing, but there were little moments here and there—mostly when the kids were interacting with the kidnappers—that worked well enough. Tate Donovan, seemingly destined to play a dirtbag dad and husband, similarly did the best he could with the material he was given, but adultery is about as rote as it gets. You can sort of forgive these scenes because this was a pilot and something had to be there to make us care about Dr. Sanders' plight, but Hostages jumped so quickly into these arcs after bringing all the principal characters together that any side conversation in a bedroom involving a family member and a kidnapper felt the show was saying, "Hold on, just let us get through this." Very little urgency, and if that's happening in the pilot, it's not a good sign.

And of course, Dylan McDermott's Agent Duncan Carlisle was the embodiment of the pilot's wishy-washy problem. McDermott is kind of perfect for this role because in certain scenes he's asked to be the badass agent who straight-up shoots a dude during a hostage negotiation because HE KNOWS which one is the real kidnapper, and in the next scene he's crying over his wife's nearly lifeless body in the hospital. In all my years of watching TV, I haven't quite figured out whether McDermott is a good actor or a fully horrible one, but he COMMITS. Thus, when the pilot tried to make Carlisle seem complex and complicated and all that other half-assed anti-hero stuff, Hostages got pretty boring. The range just wasn't there, nor was the writing. But in the moments where McDermott was able to strut around, bellow out instructions, or participate in probably never-ending governmental conspiracies to remove the president from office, the show saw an uptick in quality. 

Basically, the quicker Hostages embraces its stupid side, and lets McDermott shoot at people, it'll be better. The problem is, unfortunately, that it's hard to do 42 minutes of show each week without taking detours into the lives of the hostages and the kidnappers. Those stories could improve sooner rather than later, especially with solid performers like Donovan, Sandrine Holt, and Billy Brown involved, but what are the chances that a story about a high school kid selling weed ends up being interesting? Or that adultery makes the hostage situation that much more intense? If Hostages can't make one episode that engaging, then it won't be able to do it across 15, or more. The lifespan of a premise only matters when a show gives us time to think about it, and Hostages gave us a whole lotta time. 

A LIST OF DEMANDS

– How long can Dr. Sanders avoid operating on the president? Wouldn't it be nuts if she just knocked him off and called Carlisle saying, "Okay, 'sup?" Turns out Hostages is actually a show about a doctor who kills once and then can't stop.

– Seriously, the way McDermott played that initial stand-off was amazing. Not only did Carlisle nonchalantly shoot a guy, he then followed it up by strutting away like it was nothing. HE'S SO COOL.

– It probably didn't help matters that Toni Collette and Tate Donovan don't have much chemistry. Maybe that's the point, but meh. 

– We're still haven't decided whether we'll be covering this show week-to-week, but if you want a space to discuss McDermott's leather jacket, speak up.

What'd you think of the series premiere?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/6/2014

Season 1 : Episode 15

85 Comments
Comments (85)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
They should all watch Blacklist, then hire new writers and a couple new actors, change the premise, keep McDermott.

Flag
I feel awful for McDermott. Wrong cast, weak writing. What was Bruckheimer thinking? It's got no balls, no surprises, no conflict that doesn't seem contrived. If you're going to run around with guns, gotta use it. The whole President thing... couldn't they find, well better dialogue for everyone? I'm sure Blacklist premiering at the same time hasn't helped. This show needs smart writing. They may have to kill off some characters and get jiggy with it.
Flag
Come on! Let's kidnap the family of the head-surgeon that is going to perform a surgery on the US President...
SURE: as if the Secret Service would not be able to predict such a scenario?? Did the creators of this show not see the latest Discovery Channel (or was it Geographic?) series on the workings of the Secret Service??
No way is the Secret Service not going to guard this doctor the moment this news would become public! Everyone and everything in that hospital would be double- and triple-checked! Every doctor would be guarded and so on...
Also: WTF? Some FBI-agent appears on the scene of some bank robbery that has JUST BEGUN. First thing he does is sniping one Robber WHILE THE HOSTAGES ARE STANDING AROUND.... Then, 5 minutes later, the second robber tries a very predictable hostage / robber switch and tries to impersonate being the hostage... And: BAM BAM! our FBI-agent simply KILLS HIM on the spot!! No chance to surrender, just kill him without any remorse?? Come on, man! The police at the scene don't find this strange; only one of them asks: "What would you have done when you shot the wrong man"?
FBI-professional-robber-killer says: "But I wasn't wrong!"...
YEAH, sure. Very realistic.
Rest of it was somewhat more enjoyable.
But soooo predictable again and already shown 100 times before...
The daughter is pregnant, the son is on drugs and can't pay his dope dealer, the husband is cheating on his wife...
Really? What is this? Disfunctional family 101?
So, after this rather bad start, the series is going to address these 2 weeks that the surgeon-woman won by giving the President some blood-thinners, so the surgery would have to be postponed...
But no worries: She STILL doesn't alarm anyone!
Because, you know: these bad guys are certainly not going to be angry...
And they will certainly not kill her family afterwards to eliminate witnesses??
Don't fret: the hostage-takers -- who removed their masks, so even her own daughter (or son?) says: "When we see their faces, they're going to kill us!" -- are simply going to take 4 people hostage for 2 weeks without anyone noticing anything?
Isn't there going to be any Security or Intelligence Agency that will investigate this "bloodthinner swap"?
Nobody is going to think about screening / following or checking out this doctor that bodged this operation on the president... and in a rather spectacular way, too, I might add.
More+
Flag
I don't really see the point of this show.

Why would she postpone the president's surgery and then make it really clear to the kidnappers that she was behind that.?She has no leverage and they hold all of the cards.

Why would a sane person put their family in jeopardy for two more weeks? It's not like she'll be able to talk these very determined, very organized people who are risking their lives to pull off their extortion to reconsider.

I would mean and end to the show, but more reasonable would have been to administer something to her patient that would have made his condition worse or different and therefore inoperable (since the kidnappers seem to want him out of the way/out of the presidency). This would have solved their problem and hers.

No matter her move, a sensible person wouldn't have made it plain that they were the one behind the change.

The kidnappers have no reason to particularly care about her family. With what she did, if she were smart she could expect to come home to find one of her children dead or maimed.

DON'T GET IT!!! I'm beginning to think that this will be like The Event - a series of suspense-generators that make no real-world sense.
More+
Flag
I've only just got round to watching the show and I'm so disappointed, it was the show I was most looking forward to this fall.

Hostages has two problems: nothing at stake and predictable characters (son sells drugs, pregnant teenage daughter, cheating husband, surgeon mum who is never home). We were given no reason to care whether this family dies or if she does or doesn't kill the President.

McDermott was disappointing, is he a good actor? Because after Hostages and AHS I am seriously questioning his abilities.
Toni was great with the poor material she had (she could make reading the phone book dramatic).

Finally, I wish she had killed the president. The stakes would of been raised for ALL the characters, at the end of the episode all the characters were in the same position as the beginning.
Flag
I thought that McDermott was fine, given the material. He really only had to look tender with his wife and daughter and then like a bad-ass who scowls a lot with everyone else.

What didn't add up for me (and I suppose an absence of an explanation in the pilot was meant to whet our appetite to learn more) was why a man with a gravely ill wife and small daughter would leave them to carry out a kidnapping.

Small detail but I noticed it - the daughter's hair was French braided (not just in simple pigtails) , and well, yet McDermott's character isn't able to pack dresses she would like for her stay with her grandfather??

We might have cared more about Ellen's family had one or both of the children been written younger. You're right, they aren't very sympathetic. Though, I think that the writers wanted to play with the idea of everyone in the family having secrets, best played out with teenagers.

What I would have liked them to do is give some hint of a reason why someone would want the President dead or some external timeline ( a treaty signing, a major contentious bill, an amnesty, etc.) that required him to be killed now. 24 was always good at setting up plausible motivations - here we haven't been given even a whiff of a reason, other than that he's the president that they want him dead. I know that his aid did talk about some bill in the car with him, but that didn't resonate with me. And the Pres himself has been served up a stock figure, so a fail for me there.

Also, I found it quite old fashioned that so much emphasis was given in the script to Ellen's gender. It seems pretty commonplace now to see top female doctors, even surgeons - so to make her gender part of the President's PR calculations seemed like a big head-scratcher to me.

More +
Flag
It was just alright. I mean, wow that family has a lot of problems already.
Flag
I really liked the first episode, I didn't expect it to be that interesting I can't wait to see what is going to happen... My advice to everyone to give it a chance
Flag
Homeland and House of Cards it's not. I found McDermott more frightening in "American Horror Story". Not impressed. Disappointed and definitely turning the channel.
Flag
I agree.

I dunno, so far I feel like the show has misjudged the audience. Usually with this kind of thriller the audience tends to expect plot lines that make sense, even on a granular, tactical basis.

We're to believe that the McDermott character knows everything about Ellen and her family, yet if he did, he would see that a person like her would be more swayed by reason than fear. If this were real life, to be effective in coercing her to kill the president he would have done better to present her with a reason to do so, other than fear for her family (especially, when with scary people there is always the possibility that they'll kill you anyway to tie up loose ends or just for the hell of it).

Whether true or not, he could have given her a reason that would fit with her personal politics/philosophies to get rid of the president.

The fear motivation can only get you so far...
Flag
You also wonder why (again real life thinking) they didn't just target the anesthesiologist or one of the operating room nurses. Much simpler. But then there would be no show.
Flag
All very valid points, and that's why I felt letdown. It's just another flawed Bruckheimer piece of fluff. It should have started slower with McDermott and his family problems and how that provokes his attitude toward his job. No character building whatsoever, just one dimensional beings whom we have to accept as flawed human beings. Daughter pregnant, son a drug dealer, a philandering husband and a by-the-book doctor. Hmm, is that supposed to make one feel for these people? Badly done, could have been written much, much better. The talent is there. Direction and writing is not.
Flag
You said it.
Flag
What? No sex scenes. Geez, that's gonna bomb. :)
Flag
Very disappointing premiere. Here I my thoughts: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2647258/board/nest/220108601?d=220108601#220108601
Flag
The problem here (as if there was only one!) is that it went too fast ! One point you see Dylan McDermot kill a guy as if it was nothing, 5 seconds later you see him with his dying wife whom we're supposed to care about even though we know nothing about her (or him).
That's the problem : the show assumes we're going to care about 5 characters (6 if you count the president) but we 've only seen them 5 seconds each ! I don't care if POTUS dies ; I don't know him ! That's the same for dying wife, and pregnant kid and junkie kid and adultery dad and what's her problem Doc and ...
I smell a The Following and Terra Nova and The Eevnt here !
Flag

I am intrigued but not in a good way I am afraid... Will give it 2-3 more eps to see what happens...
Flag
One and done for me.
Flag
Half and done for me. Boring!!
Flag
I fear this is going to be The Event minus the aliens. and that's not entirely a bad thing! it's one of those hardcore serious dramas where you end up laughing and scratching your head for 40 minutes.

the whole "yeah, let's kill the president, as long as nobody finds out about my little hobby" and how he had to "enhance" the picture to check if it's really the brunette from last thursday (speculation) made the whole thing so much more hilarious!
Flag
I'm glad we know up front that this is a 'limited run' 15 episode series/season. I'm not even thinking ahead to net year yet.

The pilot wasn't perfect, but as long as Dylan McDermott gets to be a BAMF a couple of times an episode I'll give it a chance. Speaking of, I know the coverage level for this show hasn't been decided yet, but if you cover the BAMF moments I'll be happy.
Flag
It was a watchable pilot, that played out like a C-list suspense/action movie, or a Lifetime movie, I haven't decided. It skimmed over some details and gave us entirely too much of other details, and clearly this isn't a show where they expect you to actually think. Fair enough. My initial concern and reluctance is still largely at play here though. I don't see how this can have any longeivity whatsoever. I really don't see how it can sustain a peremise like this for longer than one season. It screams mini-series. The pilot only confirmed as much.
-The nice suburban family all having secrets thing was predictable.
-I also felt that the President's secondhand being involved was equally as predictable.
-I'm curious enough to wonder why the president must die? What does Duncan's father-in-law have to do with it? Why does Duncan, who seems a badass and awesome agent, suddenly have to be the leader of a group of federal agents holding 'innocent' families hostage in hopes of killing the leader of the free world? Why this particular doctor?
-It was hard to find most of the characters likeable. The hostage team were unnecessairly cold, callous, abusive, and hostile given the fact that we're supposed to have a hint of sympathy for them. I felt they could have sold the act w/o all the unnecessary manhandling, yelling, and rough-housing that just grated my nerves. I suppose we were supposed to figure that they made up for it somewhat with the hacker guy letting the boy in on the fact that his dog was still alive (something else that had me worked up for a bit) and Duncan hiding the preganancy test for the daughter. The hostages were all irritating as hell.

-Exactly. How long can she hold off and stall on that? Seasons long? I think not. She's just bought herself a couple of weeks of angry rogue Feds camping out in her house. Dinner should be a fun event. Ha! Now that would be a show! A do-gooder, moral doctor suddenly catching the murder bug via a hostage situation. Toni Collette could sell that.
-That was easily my favorite part of the pilot. He was all badass, curmudgeon, arrogant....I loved it a great deal. He was instantly a likeable and cool character to watch in that scene, and then I wavered back and forth on him for the remainder of the pilot. There is something about Dylan McDermott. That dark sort of character is his thing. I dig it.
- They really don't. Zero. It was uncomfortable at times, and their scenes just had this forced feel and these awkward pauses and silences. I don't know, it was just weird.
-It was an amzing leather jacket. I do loves me some leather. Hot guy in leather is a plus.
More+
Flag
I would imagine that security for Presidents take into consdieration these type of situations; at least putting the family of doctors and such under some kind of surveillance. Otherwise, it was really very predictable of such movies and series episodes. A whole season, i don't honestly think so.
Flag
I'm afraid this show will suffer the same fate (or take the same route, at least) as Prison Break. Season 1 will be about the assassination of POTUS and the Season 2 onwards will be about the larger White House conspiracy.

That First Lady looks like the ring leader of this plot.
Flag
I haven't watched the promos, had no idea what the show was about and REALLY liked it. This is a most definate watch for me.
Flag
Is it wrong that I wanted the hostage takers to kill all the hostages after about 20 mins?
Flag
Everything in that pilot was basically shown in the promos so that kinda ruined it for me... I didnt watch the promo this week so hopefully the next ep will be better
Flag
So-So pilot with an ending that felt like a forced plot device just to extend this series.
Flag
It was a great first episode it has potential hopefully
Flag
I like the show so far I just dont feel anything for the pain the family is going through. I especially dont find the lead actress very sympathetic or likeable despite her situation. Maybe its that teeth!
But I do like what I see so far.
Flag
I think the pilot was ok. No fantastic but still better than most. I prefer blacklist though and blacklist will be my first priority but I will still watch this show. If it can give us a solid 15 episodes, it would be good enough.
Flag
I had the opposite, actually. I've seen both and Hostages took priority in my list over Blacklist. At this point is too early to know, though. None of them look like once in a lifetime shows, but they both have some potential. Let's see!
Flag
Yes one episode does not tell the whole story. I just feel Hostage is a bit predictable and straight forward while The blacklist had a bit more of a twist. Though I am not interested in procedural show but the blacklist seems to be able to do it well. Yes we shall see.
Flag
I guess I am the only Dillon fan. I do think he can be a very good actor with a good script. I do agree that the secrets that these people have are often cliche' cheating husband kids dealing with drugs and pregnancy are nothing new. The good doctor seems to be a saint as Carlisle had the goods on every family member except her. When he is working Carlisle is all stoic business, the writers did build his back story of his emotional side with his wife and daughter, but even his own team are mostly strangers. I'm thinking that the motivations of what has driven all these characters to intersect at this point will be unveiled in future episodes. I do agree though that the writing has to step up quite a bit to rise to the challenge. 24 is the only drama that I can think of that could fill 43 minutes with psychological gripping tension and most of that was done on the phone.
Flag
I don't think his team are strangers to him (the partnered guy, said that he'd give his life for him and the way he talked to the guy who showed the boy his dog was the way a mentor talks to a mentee).

I don't think the set up was that good with too much time being spent on the kids or on hospital scenes that weren't the important (though I suppose we'll be treated to the boy's drug connection coming armed to look for him or the girl's older, working class boyfriend showing up to confront her parents).
Flag
Some of his team probably know him, like the guy you mentioned, but number 4 asked if #3 trusted him, so I don't think she knows him well.
Flag
You're right. I got the sense that number 3 & number 4 are a couple.
Flag
Sorry to those who enjoyed it this but I'd say covering this show might not be a long enterprise. Looked pretty dead on arrival and The Blacklist killed it last night (demo 3.8 vs. 1.8 for Hostages) and CBS has enough shows doing well to carry this dead weight.. Bye bye Hostages!
Flag
So... why did they show it at all?
Flag
They ordered it, they promoted it so they had to try but I think it is one of the weakest debuts for any CBS drama in years. In truth it was a somewhat interesting premise and a well known cast too so I guess they hoped it would not be this bad...
Flag
I know what you mean, but they knew from the moment they ordered this that it would be 15 episodes of some people as hostages in a house. You can see that from the pilot and the name too. So why ordering something based on this premise when actually you can foresee all its problems from the beginning? This gives me some hope that the stories in between will have some interest or another. Cross fingers.
Flag
Don't rich teenagers know that there are things called condoms that can be bought at the local CVS? I am tired of rich, intelligent people being portrayed as the dumbest people on earth.
Flag
do you know that you can get pregnant using a condom? I mean, probably not you, but girls can :) and smart teenagers get pregnant every day, this is not surprising - but it is boring, probably, as a story line. I cross fingers. Maybe they can make it interesting, who knows. I find the drug dealing stuff even more boring, so there's good competition there among teenagers :)

Flag
Yes, boring and boring.
Flag
here's a technical question: doesn't a pregnancy test show a false positive if you wait till morning to check the results?
Flag
I understand that condoms are not infallible. I also concur with your comment about the poor little rich kid dealing drugs. Two cliched ideas. Maybe the flaws in the kids will be used to develop the story. We'll have to wait and see.
Flag
the real comparison should be with prison break which should'nt have gone over 1 season. 24 was easy to write new stories when prison break season 1 was great , season 2 and 3 no comment.
Let see the next 2 episodes to give a verdict on Hostages
Flag
So many holes in this it puts colanders to shame and has less tension than a collapsed heart.
At first viewing I dubbed it as a shoddy FX production but that soon devolved into a LivingTV offing. There's kidnappers who randomly 'have a heart' and fail to scare and intimidate anyone into doing the dishes. A cheating and weak willed dad rubbished in the first ep. A president's surgeon with no security check/detail and mother who'd defiantly risk the lives of her children and husband. And the usual troubled teens in tow to alienate viewers empathy further. Sure fire winner. NOT!
To cap it all, even the medical excuse was weak. Blood thinners don't take 2 weeks to clear. Utter bullshit.
Flag
So far we have: cheating husband, pregnant daughter and weed dealing son.

What's wife's secret? Does she abuse alcohol or oxycodone? That could ruin her career. (assuming the terrorists won't kill her)

It was great to see Toni Collette again. Just for her I'm eager to see what happens next.
Flag
I kind of thought she already new McDermott and was in on the whole thing....but we'll see.
Flag
That's what I hoped would happen when he took her into the bedroom to talk to her alone. I thought that she was going to throw her arms around him or start smiling or something.

Instead it was the writer's boring, separate the hostages strategy.
Flag
Meh. It was about what I expected. McDermott both annoys me and plays the slimy bad guy well... as usual.

It felt a little... tacky, maybe?... that Ellen was this chosen-by-the-President doctor while her husband is cheating on her, their son is a weed-dealer in trouble with his supplier, and her daughter is pregnant. All three of them, at one point or another, told their captors to keep their secret. Bleh.

For the most part, it was fairly boring. Considering the show's premise and the fact that it's supposed to be a limited-run show, I'd have expected a bit more excitement or fun... but the pilot didn't provide much of either.
Flag
idk. i think this show can get better. I'll have to watch episode 2 to know for sure. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.
Flag
Bad points for the show on my subjective point of view:

- Difficulty to maintain the hostage situation interesting for 15 episodes.
- Teenager side stories could get in the way, as I usually don't enjoy them.
- It doesn't feel like a new story.
- TV Mondays are starting to be a bit full on my schedule.

Good points for the show on my very personal point of view:

- Toni Collete is great and she choses her projects carefully.
- All the other actors seem pretty decent choices as well.
- I didn't hate the pilot and watched until the end.
- I'm actually interested to know how they will manage to keep this up! :)
- I want to know why the heck do these guys want to kill the president!

Conclusion for me: I'm going to keep watching for now.

I would keep a community open for this, even if no reviews.
Flag
i thought it looked cool in the previews, but didnt watch it. maybe if it gets a few seasons & ends up on Netflix, i'll watch it.
Flag
Cory-thank you for the super article/review. You ponder so many of the same things I question!

Yes, even though I could easily spend an hour a week just watching Mr. McDermott, there's apparently a show going on around him ;-)

I thought the pilot was really good. BUT unless the writers are the caliber of shows like Dexter, AHS, or any other "twisted greats", this show can't last a full season.

The whole show seems to have been put into epi one. Still, I do hope Tv.com will cover it weekly.

I have high hopes for this show and will continue to watch Hostages (and DVR Blacklist). BTW: could the network have screwed this show any harder w/ that timeslot?!
Flag
I didn't mind it - I have a feeling ill lose interest when my regular shows are back, but I'm interested enough to watch the next episode.
Flag
I assume the gang are working for someone like the veep who figures its his turn, if that's the case this show is gonna have to do more with the existing prez than give him dialog that coulda come outta "The Room' for its pointlessness & inability to engage.
I mean to say if Toni Collette's big decision is whether to see her kids shot or helping to swap one lying sociopathic politician for another lying sociopathic pol there is no decision. Just put the stuff in his system & move on.
Not only will no one notice - no one will care.
Flag
oh meh.
i guess i`ll watch the next episode, but if it stays like this, i don`t give it much chance.
everything in this show is so cliche!
Flag
Glad the dog survived.

Meh nothing engaged me while watching (apart from the dog being killed but then it wasn't).

What is the "big" plan for the aftermath of the president dying - who is the big and so far secret figures involved in the conspiracy of it all. It's all bound to come out as season(s) progress as I was already asking - what's in it for McDermott and numbers 2-4 ? The unseen big bads got a cure for the wife's cancer ?

Are they (1-4) doing a double cross, ie the bad guys are actually on the good side and trying to root out the big conspiracy using the plan as an in ??

Confirmed why I did not put this in my serious consideration for watching this season, and watching the pilot didn't make me change my mind. So long and good luck to the fans of the show.

I'll keep my conspiracy theories to Person of Interest.

Question - does McDermott actually having any acting gig (movies or tv) where he isn't a terrorist/traitor/bastard ? Maybe it the movies I've seen this year. Wasn't he in like Grey's Anatomy (was he a bastard in that) ?
More+
Flag
thanks for the spoiler
Flag
Hey - I could have mentioned the big one... the daughter being (horrors) pregnant ! Ohh.. and surgery is delayed 2 weeks so no dead president (or dead family).
Flag
What spoiler? Did I miss something?
Flag
So, someone pretty much watched 2x07 of Person of Interest and decided to make a full show out of that?!

http://www.tv.com/news/person-of-interest-critical-review-bring-on-the-bad-guys-30092/
Flag
I was totally thinking about that episode!
Flag
That last scene with her looking into the camera was a bit much... i imagined the people (in-show) watching that and thinking, "okay, why is she staring into my soul!"
Flag
Shouldn't the Secret Service have a detail to protect the doctor everyone knows is going to operate on the President? I mean, any nut job can just kidnap her family and force her to kill the president. From the fact that they knew so much about the doctors family it's obvious it was known for some time she'll operate on the President, so plenty of time for terrorist to plot something. So why no protection?
I like McDermott as a badass, but shows with dumb ideas, full of cliches and recycled ideas are just not worth it. This is going to be a top pick in this year's DeadPool.
Flag
I'm still digesting this, but I think it is the secret service who is trying to kill the president. There was a guy at his father (in law?)'s house that seemed to be secret service.
Flag
I wasn't motivated enough to watch it again, but I think the guy with the father-in-law is the president's overly ambitious aide (the one who POTUS and FLOTUS were talking about grabbing control if the Pres is incapacitated).
Flag
That may be so, but a team of agents should still be there. Maybe they're in on it or not, or just some of them... Idk, I just think the whole premise is full of holes.
Flag
I would hope that in real life, the Secret Service would be all over the family of any physician who operates on the President. That there was none of that was one of the hardest suspensions of disbelief.
Flag
It was for me too, hence I was hoping for secret services being somehow involved - remains to be seen how this actually works in the next episodes.
Flag
The bank situation at the start was ok, but also really reminded me of 80's action hero cliche's - he's a cop who doesnt play by the rules.....well he does, but they are his own rules....which he makes up as he goes along.....or by pure instinct!!!!
It went downhill from there
They skipped a lot of development to try and have a fast pace to the pilot and it fails because of that. I didnt really care about the characters because i didnt get to know them.
And its not just the family - why should we care about the president? Nameless and dull characters
The fact that the son was more worried about the drug dealer than the hostage taker in his room really made me roll my eyes
Its cliche of White House conspiracy was the death bell for me, not going to tune in any more

2 things i did notice

The dog lived, so thankfully the most charismatic cast member will be around for a while

Toni Colette has weird ears

Annnnd i'm done
Flag
Never mind the ears... those teeth like someone on crack or something
Flag
A couple of people have mentioned her teeth. I haven't really noticed them as an issue.

I have noticed the ears.

It's a lot like Paget Brewster from Criminal Minds, who also has ears that stick out from the sides. At first the show would have her in ponytails and then they started to only show her with hairstyles that covered her ears. I'm guessing because of viewer feedback.

For me, in terms of appearance, I think what hasn't endeared me to the character is that Ms. Colette's face is thin and sort of pinched looking, so you don't get a sense of happy-happy-joy family times with huggable Mom from it. Though, maybe producers thought this look could sell a feeling of scrappy survivor to us.

Similar disconnect with the guy who plays her husband, who is an actor who is almost always cast as a crafty weasel. I don't get feelings of warmth for him either - and so don't care as much when I see the kidnappers beating him down.

I hope Toni Colette doesn't read fora like this one, because it can't be nice to see people slagging you off for your ears, teeth and face shape.

That said, I think she's an accomplished actress, too bad this show isn't up to par.
More +
Flag
The whole time I was just yelling "Just pull a John and she will comply". By that i mean shoot someone in the knee. These hostage takers seem more like the friendly neighborhood drama team than bad guys. If they dont kill a family member next week because she posponed the murder than I'm calling BS and out.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members