A Hostages Community
CBS (ended 2014)

(Spoilers ahead!)

Not wanting to give away what really happened in the two hour finale, I'd like to discuss what you thought about the way the season/series ended.

The way things ended up surely left some loose ends hanging over the cliff, so to speak. From what we've got from comments here in the community, apparently Duncan Carlisle turned himself in at the very end of the season finale. That alone opens for a follow up.

• What crime is he surrendering for committing?
  • Will he do time or just be relocated? Promoted?

More than arguing what was good and bad with the first season of Hostages, let's hear what you think of a follow up season.

• Can it be done?
  • What will it cover?

This short piece is just a taste of the full reviews that are coming. The way CBS ended the season surely opens up for a season 2.
49 Comments
Comments (27)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
we want another season!!!!!!!!!! yes i record on dvr too if im not home to tune in!
Flag
After reading about this show in the beginning I didn't think I was going to like it but after watching it my husband and I really liked it. It's unfortunate but we just watched the series because I record EVERYTHING (just like I am sure everyone else does) on DVR. I can't see how they keep track of viewers when everyone records everything on DVR now. Anyway, my husband and I really liked it and would like to see a 2nd season. If the fan base was so low why don't they run it as a summer season because there is never anything good on TV during the summer!
Flag
really good idea
Flag
While there always is more 'story' that can be told I think Hostages provided the closure that viewers wanted and needed. It worked well as a mini-series even if the producers were hedging their bets in what they called it.
A season 2 will be based on ratings, not on the fans here.
I would be shocked to see it renewed unless it was a very short final season series like Nikita or The Killing (which will air later).
Flag
I finally managed to watch the two last episodes... done!! :)

It is positive that they ended the primary story for this season, so even if there is no season 2, there is a sense of closure.

If there is a second season, it would be about taking down the President again, I suppose. This could include Duncan's input through his confession of whatever crimes, his wives' mother input, the first lady and her sister, etc. It can be taken in different ways. I am not sure if I can be interested in any of them. I am still surprised that some excellent actors decided to participate on this. Don't feel like being extremely negative on this, but there was a looot of room for improvement!
Flag
I'm in Thailand and watch this show i think it is a good series for me and I hope and willing to see the more of it. dont cancel this show pls i really love it
Flag
DD: i would not mind seeing a second season, but to echo iceman_freeze and do it with the Sanders again will be overkill...how 'bout we have Nina all cured and taken hostage together with their daughter, hmmm? or anything just not the Sanders.
Flag
thought hostages worked as a tv show. it would be possible to do a second season imo but it seems impossible to do it with the sanders' family. with duncan surrendering they'd have to come up with a reason why not to put him in jail. best idea would be to have some high up officer/person want his assistance with a hostage case.
Flag
I found everything between episode 1 and the finale terribly boring.
Flag
From the get go it seemed awful little to base a series on. How to stretch an operation over eighteen episodes? (Later they cut it down to 15)

The format would've worked better as a movie. That was my first reaction after the first two episodes.
Flag
Yes, agreed, I don't fault the concept but the execution stunk. I feel the same thing happened here that happened with Under the Dome. The difference being Under the Dome is some how getting a second season. I could also say the same problem exists here as with Last Resort. I really liked the show but it was dragged along with so many filler episodes that the premise couldn't hold up.
Flag
The difference between Hostages and Under The Dome is that Under the Dome kept getting better as the season progressed.
Big difference.
Flag
Hi again, I just watched bits of three episodes of the Israeli version/original, Bnei Aruba.
And those bits were more high paced and action oriented than Hostages.

If nothing else, CBS could bring them over and air them! Ten episodes of 60 minutes each. They did vary the story compared to the US.

Flag
Sad that there's just a little chance for season 2..
I really liked this show, because it was something different and new.
I don't understand why Blacklist has better ratings.. It's just same old bad guy becomes good and helps good guys. Maybe it was more polished, but still for me Hostages > Blacklist.
Flag
SPOILERS !!

I think this show was meant to be a limited event from the beginning. With the low ratings, it is more likely it will not come back at all. It is an average show but my wife and me did enjoyed it.

We are okay with the ending. They did tie up most loose ends. Colonel Blair is dead, Duncan wife got her bone Marrow. Doctor and family are safe and starting over again. Sanderine and his man presumably leave happily after. The good guys won and all the bad guys got what they deserve except maybe the President and the sister in law.

I guess that is a good enough ending for me, no major cliffhanger.
Flag
This show should had been a mini-series......,
Flag
Yes, tops three epsiodes; Ep1 and 15 plus one other.
Flag
They may have left some loose threads, but I still consider it over and done. It did not hold my attention.
Flag
Okay, maybe they could do an anthology like American Horror Story? Different characters, different setting but again a story about a conspiracy forcing people into seemingly inescapable situations? That might actually work…
Flag
No, no, and no.
Flag
Face it, it's over! I enjoyed watching it but one season is enough. Going back there with a new plot would be shark jumping.
Flag
They certainly wrapped up the main plot for the most part. But they also left just enough room for some kind of follow-up. They can start season 2 with Duncan in prison. He orchestrates a prison break with Ellen's help. Other potential plots include Nina's mother coming forward to expose the president as her rapist. Also, what punishment does the first lady have for her husband's role in her brother's death? The show can also delve more into Sandrine's background with her kid. Introduce Sandrine's ex-husband as some dangerous cult leader. They can start a new political story involving Vanessa and the vice-president.
Flag
It's going to cover the president trying to find and kill his daughter.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members