Hot in Cleveland

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 16, 2010 on TV LAND

• A traditional sitcom with a stellar ensemble that feels like a throw-back to some of the classics... and that's a good thing!

The much-anticipated premiere of Hot In Cleveland has finally aired, and I quite enjoyed it. It did have a bunch of cliched sitcom jokes, especially ones about age, but it was genuinely funny. While the plot of the pilot is far-fetched, it works well enough as a way to introduce the audience to the four leading ladies. Out of the four, Victoria and Joy stand out the most. Unfortunately, I'm not quite loving Melanie; it seems to me like Valerie Bertinelli is over-acting, which can come off as preachy and annoying. And then there's Betty White, who can do no wrong in my book. However, the character Elka is lacking substance. She had some terrific one-liners, but she comes off as too cynical and sarcastic. Hopefully the writers will flesh out the character to be more likable in the future. The best parts of the pilot were the commentaries comparing L.A. to Cleveland. Those comparisons were definitely the purpose of the pilot and it came across very well. Overall, it's a strong pilot with a great ensemble and a boat-load of potential!