Hotel Babylon Forums

Friday 9:00 PM on BBCBetween Seasons

Any Hotel Staff Watching?

cackle_jr

[1]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 7
    Hi all,

Who else is watching the show and enjoying it? I think it's great. A lot of the storylines seem really exagerrated but having worked for five years in the Hotel Industry so much of it rings true that I'm willing to grant the slight excesses for the sake of the storyline.

Any other Hotel staff watching? Remind you of your own place? I work in a 200 bedroom 4* in central London, so it's not as large or extravagant as Babylon but a lot of it has that ring of familiarity.

Last nights opener to season 2 for example, we have our rivalries and alliances with he various Hotels in the area, although we've never gone as far as commando missions! We also have the usual interdepartmental rivalries, the eccentric or demanding guests (epecially the ones who are openly having affairs or playing away from home and rope us in to their deceptions), the staff running rings round each other and the various madcap schemes to keep the ship running!

My favourite character is Tanya the maid. One of my only criticisms of the show is that there's less of the rank and file characters, apart from Tanya and Gino everyone is English (more noticebly apart from Ben they're all Caucasian) which doesn't ring true to me from the Hotels I've worked in, and it would have been nice to have seen more characters doing the graft, rather than the ones who are more involved in giving the polished image. That's probably why my favourite episode is S1E5 where the immigration office raid the Housekeeping department.

But that's a small personal quibble and nonetheless I enjoy the show and nearly every episode makes me think "Yep, we've done something as crazy as that too!"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ethandune

[2]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 54
    Hey, cackle_jr. The show is based on a book by Anonymous and Imogen Edwards-Jones - and Anon is said to be the manager of a 5-star London hotel. Glad to hear it rings true to someone on the inside.

cackle_jr

[3]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 7
    I've read the book and to be honest I found it to be terrible, the writing style was atrocious and 'Anonymous' came across more as a low level Receptionist than a General Manager (Although in fairness I don't know how much that style is Anonymous or how much is Imogen-Jones).

So I had my misgivings when I saw the book was being made into a TV series but luckily it's only very loosely based on the book (The name of the Hotel, a few of the characters and a couple of the anecdotes seem to be it) and is a very enjoyable and fun, if slightly over the top series.

Incidentally I hold a similar position to Anna at my Hotel (though I've worked in nearly every other department having worked my way up from the bottom) and all I can say is I wish I had the opportunity to run around the Hotel as much as she does. My reality is more like being handcuffed to the front desk. But that wouldn't make good television!

chaznet

[4]Apr 16, 2007
    • level: 11
    Have worked in 5-star luxury hotels most of my adult life, including a 7 year stint in Beverly Hills.  The plots ring true.  Some of my experiences in the business top anything in the series so far.  The attention to detail from a staff members perspective could only have been written by someone with a good amount of experience in the industry, though from a rooms-division angle more than Food & Beverage.  Would have to say most of the catering, restaurant, and bar plotlines are not representative of what occurs in a luxury hotel.  A shame, as a lot goes on...

saycos

[5]Jun 14, 2007
    • level: 6
    I also working in hotel 3* in Ireland,and I think that all hotels are similar some how

usedtobefangle

[6]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 10
    My daughter worked as a receptionist in a hotel in Newcastle, the stories she tells are far too risque to appear on the show!