A Hotel Impossible Community
Monday 10:00 PM on Travel Channel

HART IMITATES LIFE NEWS

... ABC has ordered a pilot for a sitcom based on the standup comedy of Kevin Hart (The Real Husbands of Hollywood). The untitled half-hour multi-camera series would follow a divorced couple that remains friendly for the benefit of their children. Hart wouldn't star, but he'd play a recurring character. Community producers Neil Goldman and Garrett Donovan are behind the project, which makes the idea stink a little less. But not that much less. [THR]

BUSINESS TIME

... Nielsen Research Media, the company in charge of collecting viewership data for television ratings, rolled out its Nielsen Twitter TV Ratings today. The initiative hopes to put numbers and figures on Twitter chatter about TV shows to provide an estimate of how popular they are on the social-media service. Many see Twitter as a powerful tool in getting viewers to watch the shows people are talking about. The CW sees it as a way out of the ratings cellar. #moreuselessnumbers [The New York Times]

... Is there any sillier business move than to make a television series out of a mid-'80s movie that we've all forgotten about? Then it should be no surprise that the network currently adapting the 1986 comedy The Money Pit for television is NBC. The film starred Tom Hanks and Shelley Long as a couple who was scammed into buying a house that's in an eternal state of disrepair. The new version will probably star Sean Hayes as a gay single dad who buys a ranch house in the Hamptons and then gets all flustered when his teenage daughter unexpectedly moves in with him. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Fox is developing the teen-centered pilot Prodigy from Juno screenwriter Diablo Cody and super-producer Josh Schwartz (The O.C., Gossip Girl). The hour-long series, which I'm guessing is a dramedy, follows a 16-year-old home-schooled girl as she takes the plunge into normal high school and becomes friends with the wild crowd. [EW]

... Jason Gann, best known for wearing a hot and sweaty dog suit on the FX comedy Wilfred, will produce and adapt the Peruvian comedy My Problem With Women for ABC. In the original series, a thirty-something man begins seeing a therapist after all of his romantic relationships fail. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Old Young Blue Eyes himself, Harry Connick Jr., is the centerpiece of a new multi-camera comedy in development at Fox. He'll play a successful musician and single dad who takes some time off to reconnect with his teen daughter. Television, where teen daughters reconnect with their single dads. [Deadline Hollywood]

... TV Land is developing a workplace comedy about a 30-something career woman who's struggling to climb the career ladder among her old-school male counterparts. But here's the gender war twist: Her assistant, a 20-something male, is also experiencing difficulties fitting in with his female-dominant coworkers! The series would be produced by Ben Silverman's Electus production house and written by Frasier scribe Jon Sherman. [TV Land via press release]

... Bravo has renewed its docu-series Newlyweds: The First Year for a second season. Season 2 will follow four new couples as they live their first year as a married couple, so now is the perfect time to pop the question and become a star! [Bravo via press release]

... Travel Channel has renewed four series: Bizarre Foods America with Andrew Zimmerman, Dangerous Grounds, Hotel Impossible, and Mysteries at the Museum. The niche network is also developing Chow Masters, following two guys who travel around the country looking for great comfort food, and The Trip: 2014, a one-hour special exploring the cuisine, the culture, and, regrettably, the kidnappings of Morocco and Spain. [Travel Channel via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... ABC Family is setting up that Beverly Hills, 90210 reunion we've all been dying for, casting Jennie Garth opposite Tori Spelling in the comedy pilot Mystery Girls. The two blondes will play a pair of washed-up former TV detectives who open up a real detective agency in the present day when a victim agrees to only let the '90s TV stars work her case. Pair this with Melissa & Joey and I'll do the rest, ABC Family! [ABC Family via press release]

... Larenz Tate will drop by The Mindy Project, but maybe not as a romantic interest! Instead Tate, who put fear in the hearts of Korean liquor store owners everywhere as O-Dog in Menace II Society, will play a politician running for Congress who has dust-ups with Mindy. [EW

... Jenna Elfman will also guest-star on The Mindy Project, playing a crisis-management expert who "sexually dominates Danny." Finally someone else gets laid by a white celebrity on that show other than Mindy. It looks like it's a one-episode deal. [Vulture]

... Showtime's House of Lies has continued to cement its reputation as a show that doesn't want me to watch it with the guest casting of rapper T.I. for Season 3. T.I., who's also made guest appearances on Hawaii Five-0 and Boss, will take over the role of Marty's friend Dre from Mekhi Fifer, who's leaving the series before shooting a single frame of film. In much cooler news, Daniel Stern (Home Alone) has also booked a guest appearance, as the CEO of a natural-food store. [Showtime via press release]

... This one's for @IndianaMom: Girl Meets World, the Disney Channel's long-overdue follow-up to Boy Meets World, has already killed off a character. The series will revolve around Riley, the daughter of Cory and Topanga, and was initially slated to include her older brother Elliot. But producers have decided an older brother wouldn't work and sent actor Teo Halm packing. Riley will still have a younger brother named Louis, though. Girl Meets World doesn't yet have a premiere date, but the show is expected to debut sometime in 2014. [TV Line]

OH THAT'S WHY IT SUCKED

... Dexter producer John Goldwynn explained why Dexter's titular character didn't meet a grisly end in the recent series finale, even though that's what many people expected (and wanted) to see. "[Showtime] won't let us kill him," he said. Showtime was very clear about that. When we told them the arc for the last season, they just said, 'Just to be clear, he's going to live.'" So instead he boated into a hurricane and grew a beard, taking on the sea with just a knife and the haunting memories of being a serial killer. [Vulture]

GOSSIP GOSSIP GOSSIP I LOVE GOSSIP

... Bones fan sites are going crazy over news that David Boreanaz might not return to the Fox series after this upcoming season. According to Radar Online, Boreanaz is telling friends that this will be his last season of the romantically inclined procedural. And maybe those friends are leaking the information to gossip sites so that Fox will pay the man. Or maybe Boreanaz just wants to do something different because he'll have been on the same show for nine years? [Radar Online]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 7/18/2016

Season 7 : Episode 12

58 Comments
Comments (58)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Oops, I missed the shout out the first time I read this (OK, skimmed). I think this is a good choice for Girl Meets World. The older brother just didn't fit into the timeline, considering Boy Meets World ended in 2000 and Topanga wasn't pregnant. I'm sorry for the young actor, but he'll find something else. Danielle Fishel said he could still call her Mom. That's something.
Flag
>... Is there any sillier business move than to make a television series out of a mid-'80s movie
>that we've all forgotten about?

Try telling that to Price Peterson and he'll slap you! It's worked out great for MTV.
Flag
It's hard to believe the only sitcom Kevin Hart has starred on was Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire, he just seems like the kind of comedian that someone would have thrown a watered-down ABC or NBC family sitcom at. And they still haven't? How do you make a show about Kevin Hart and not star Kevin Hart???

Ugh, nobody needs you to look at Twitter, Nielsen Research, that's dumb. Twitter is easily quantifiable already with tons of trackable data, and it's a crap resource since it's just the loudest noisemakers, not the most important. #MoreUselessNumbers indeed.

The Money Pit was not a great movie, but it was a remake of a much cuter film staring Cary Grant and Myrna Loy (she of The Thin Man wonders). Wait, Sean Hayes is alrady getting another sitcom? Man, NBC is friggin' stupid.

"Old Middle-Aged Young Blue Eyes himself" you mean. He's an acceptible actor, dunno if he can carry a show though, he hits the acting talent wall a little fast for my tastes.

I would watch that TV Land show with the right cast, I think.

Holy geez, Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth look so weird together now! Didn't we already have a news brief on this? Oh, that was when Jennie Garth hadn't yet committed.
More+
Flag
Really, Showtime, there was no reason for Dexter to live, the end was just too cliff-hanger-y to end a whole season... but then again maybe that means they're looking at an eventual reboot or something?
Flag
Can someone please put Bones out of its misery? I love it, but there is no excuse for this show to still be on air.
Flag
Curse you Showtime!!!
Flag
i miss Angel. that's where David Boreanaz should have been on for 9 years. Damn WB...
Flag
T.I. was really funny in Identity Theif. I think he'll be really good on House of Lies, he's got good comedic timing.

Flag
I liked Prodigy better when it was called Mean Girls.
Flag
Forgotten about The Money Pit? Speak for yourself! That movie is still a classic that easily gets dusted off once a year in this house.
Flag
You really could have put a spoiler warning on that Dexter paragraph...not everyone has finished the series yet.
Flag
Dexter producers, writers and the like should stop finding excuses for a disappointing final season. Whether Dexter ultimately died or not was not the problem. It was the stupid plots and stupid decisions and stupid dialogue that made the end of Dexter one unworthy of a show that was pretty good for a few seasons. Dexter didn't need to die necessarily for the show to make sense. Losing everything as he did was perfectly acceptable as an ending (in my opinion) but the road to get there was painfully bad TV.
Flag
I wonder why Showtime didn't want Dexter to die.
Flag
Me too. I'm thinking a spin-off or a contract with the books author that would not allow to kill him.
Flag
ratings are pointless no matter how you look at it, get over it Nielsen and tv networks!

I was giving up on House of Lies after last season anyway, so cast Bieber and Chris Brown for all I care.

I'm sure whatever that TV Land show is, it'll only air on Wednesdays... because TV Land assumes Wednesdays is the only night people watch tv shows.

I actually think Girl Meets World should have an older brother.. are they forgetting what BMW's format was? older brother, middle kid, younger sister.. just swap the last two to fit with the main character being a girl. stupid Disney Channel.

personally I don't see how Bones would work without David Boreanaz, that's taking a whole aspect out of the show entirely.
Flag
Yay for #moreuselessnumbers. I know very little about Nielsen ratings or Twitter, but both concepts weirdly fascinate me, so I'll eagerly be reading any data networks release in the future about how their shows are doing on Twitter.

Is it bad that I want to watch Mystery Girls, yet have no inclination to do so because of nostalgia as I'm to young to have ever seen Beverly Hills 90210???

So Showtime wouldn't let the producers kill off Dexter. Are they not in the entertainment industry? Don't they know that successful(and even unsuccessful) franchises never die? They didn't have to literally keep the character alive to ensure that the Dexter universe continues on in the future for them to milk their money from, but whatever, I'll be watching regardless.
Flag
I don't think Dexter dying would have kept the last season from being as poor as it was, but I really wish Showtime would back off and let the writers do their job. They pulled this same move with Homeland in seasons 1 & 2.
Flag
"The new version will probably star Sean Hayes as a gay single dad who buys a ranch house in the Hamptons and then gets all flustered when his teenage daughter unexpectedly moves in with him."

This may be the funniest thing I've read on the site.
Flag
I can buy that premise; as groups, men and women tend to acclimate to different styles of workplaces.
Flag
So the reason Dexter sucked so bad was because of Showtime? I can believe that, but that doesn't get the writers off the hook.
Flag
Kevin Hart isn't one of my favorite comedians...actually I rarely find him funny. With that being said, I surfed and landed on The Real Husbands of Hollywood and I actually laughed. The ensemble cast really are funny. Not really sure how Mr. Hart will far with restrictions on network tv, but he can't be any less funny than the majority of the comedy sitcoms already on network tv.
Flag
I guess Showtime's new tagline can be "Don't worry, the characters you love are safe".

Sucks about Mekhi Phifer too. I watch House of Lies, but I don't really love it, mostly it's just because of the great cast, and I like Phifer and was looking forward to his addition. Not so much with TI.

Please just cancel it Showtime so that all these talented actors can get better jobs.
Flag
Mekhi Phifer, not Fifer.

Flag
Seems like you could save some time writing up each week's news briefs by writing a generic "X will be dropping by The Mindy Project soon" template. Then all you'd have to do is insert the latest name in the perpetual announcements.

Flag
I thought this was going to be the final season of Bones anyway?
Flag
Maybe that's what he meant when he told his friends. Or maybe the network will decide to end the show if he's serious about it.
Flag
I thought that, too. It's long past time for it to end.
Flag
Not sure how to feel about the Kevin Hart gig...
Flag
Didn't Showtime do the same thing when Homeland wanted to kill of Brody?
Flag
It could also be that the book series is still going and killing Dexter would not work well for the book readers. Most recent book came out only like two weeks ago. And if anyone should decide how Dexter finally dies, it should be the creator.
Flag
Did the show actually stay on tracks with the book or was it more of a True Blood situation?
Flag
from just reading the synopsis and basic info about the books, it is completely different. I think his sister learns about him sooner and his wife's kids are more in it... the show went a very different direction. Hell, i think his wife is still alive in the series, but i am not 100% on that.
Flag
I didn't know the book series was still going... Any word on how many Jeff Lindsay plans to write? I have the first one sitting on my bookshelf, and was seriously considering reading it with my Dexter withdrawals and all. Anyone read them? Any good?
Flag
They are OK. I've read three of them I think. I didnt know it was still going either. I didnt really enjoy the last one I read. I liked the different direction the books took regarding Doakes and the S2 storyline.
I haven't watched S7 or 8 of the show btw, so not sure how that would affect my opinion of a new book.
Flag
ABC and Multi-Cam just doesn't work. Single Cam with Kevin Hart as the lead could've been big for them though I bet.
Flag
Sounds to me like Showtime might be planning to keep Dexter alive for a movie?
Flag
Maybe, or a spin off with an older Dexter that would be played by a different actor (why leave him alive otherwise?)
Flag
Worst scenario: Dexter spinoff is Dexter without the code in the the woods. No matter which option it is, it means bad things.
Flag
Or a twenty years later reunion series.
Flag
Surprised that Kevin Hart isn't starring in it. He hasn't really been able to move beyond success in standup. He's just an incredibly famous standup right now. Not many movies either.

Flag

Wasn't The Money Pit considered a huge bomb? Why make a tv version of that?
Flag
Maybe they should consider making a television series out of Waterworld.
Flag
I never thought Elliot was young enough to be their kid. I had figured that the episode involving Topanga's pregnancy scare (circa 2000) was going to be retconned into Elliot being conceived. My God, those are some ridiculously old kids considering their parents ages!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members