House of Lies

Sunday 10:00 PM on Showtime Premiered Jan 08, 2012 In Season

Taccado

House of Lies Fan Reviews (15)

• Disappointed; I'd expected better. (Warning: some spoilers)

(Spoiler Warning - don't read unless you've watched the pilot)

Love Showtime and several of it's shows (Dexter, Weeds, Californication) as well as Don Cheadle and especially Kristen Bell. However, after watching the pilot, I felt it was trying too hard to be "cool" but ended up being abrasive. Especially the time freezes where Don Cheadle's character explains some consulting term. I hope those go away really, really quickly. It just feels weird.

Overall, I found Cheadle's character and the management team as a whole smarmy and unlikeable. They kept focusing on how they were just taking money from bad guy. "Stealing his watch and getting paid to tell him the time." This made the team seem greedy and just... awful. The only characters I liked were Marty's dad and son, whom Marty had screwed over by the end, so he isn't even a good dad.

I'll watch a few more episodes, but I was expecting something better. Really the only thing I see redeeming this show is if Kristen Bell gets a lot more screentime and Cheadle's Marty starts not being a terrible father.

I'll update if my opinion on it changes.